ECT The Contradictory Pursuit of MAD

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Can one ask that you discontinue making "Death Predictions" about your fellow posters? Would that be a reasonable request?

You are the worst of liars.

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

LA

Jerry Shugart

You have a lot invested emotionally in the land promise to David. It blocks your ability to think with Scripture.

Of course Grosnick is right about the land promises which the Lord made to David. So let us look at the "land" promises under the Davidic covenant:

"Now therefore so shalt thou say unto my servant David...I will appoint a place for my people Israel, and will plant them, that they may dwell in a place of their own, and move no more; neither shall the children of wickedness afflict them any more, as beforetime" (2 Sam.7:8,10).​

"And move no more"! This promise according to the Davidic covenant is restated later by the prophet Jeremiah:

"For I will set mine eyes upon them for good, and I will bring them again to this land: and I will build them, and not pull them down; and I will plant them, and not pluck them up"(Jer.24:6).​

"And not pluck them up"!

Therefore we can understand that the Lord has made promises to David in respect to the promised land that have not yet been fulfilled. There has never been a time when the children of Israel have been brought back to the promised land and have "moved no more" (unless that is being fulfilled now).

It is also certain that the Lord told David that He would not "alter" the promises which He made to him and that He would be faithful in fulfilling those promises:

"I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant...Nevertheless my loving-kindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail. My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips. Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David" (Ps.89:3,33-35).

Since you have no place in your eschatology for the literal fulfillment of these land promises you assert that the Lord altered His promise to David even though the Lord said that He would do no such thing. You make the Lord a liar just so you can cling to your mistaken ideas.

Interplanner

Of course Grosnick is right about the land promises which the Lord made to David. So let us look at the "land" promises under the Davidic covenant:

"Now therefore so shalt thou say unto my servant David...I will appoint a place for my people Israel, and will plant them, that they may dwell in a place of their own, and move no more; neither shall the children of wickedness afflict them any more, as beforetime" (2 Sam.7:8,10).​

"And move no more"! This promise according to the Davidic covenant is restated later by the prophet Jeremiah:

"For I will set mine eyes upon them for good, and I will bring them again to this land: and I will build them, and not pull them down; and I will plant them, and not pluck them up"(Jer.24:6).​

"And not pluck them up"!

Therefore we can understand that the Lord has made promises to David in respect to the promised land that have not yet been fulfilled. There has never been a time when the children of Israel have been brought back to the promised land and have "moved no more" (unless that is being fulfilled now).

It is also certain that the Lord told David that He would not "alter" the promises which He made to him and that He would be faithful in fulfilling those promises:

"I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant...Nevertheless my loving-kindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail. My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips. Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David" (Ps.89:3,33-35).

Since you have no place in your eschatology for the literal fulfillment of these land promises you assert that the Lord altered His promise to David even though the Lord said that He would do no such thing. You make the Lord a liar just so you can cling to your mistaken ideas.

I read Ps 89 very carefully this week and it does not go there. Look again:

1, the middle section claims things way too divine to be David. It would or has resulted in Davidolatry.

2, the sons of David on the other hand are conditionally blessed. They sin and are devastated for doing so.

3, the Psalm ends in disappointment with God because even the writer has not grasped that the truth is in Christ not in the descendancy.

These principles are the breakthrough of the NT way of seeing things so that the land no longer matters, because the mission to all the nations has taken over. David as such gets credit for at least praying that his temple would help the nations believe, right? But it was going to happen through a new temple, Eph 2B, which is alive and living and is an analogy of the church (the old vision is swallowed up by the church) in several NT passages, which you know because you know the whole Bible.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

"And not pluck them up"!

Will they be there for all eternity.

LA

Jerry Shugart

Will they be there for all eternity.

I agree with what is said about the views of both Charles Ryrie and John Walvoord in "bold":

Craig A Blaising acknowledges that both Charles Ryrie and John Walvoord believe that the "everlasting" promises in regard to things in the "earthly" sphere will come to an end. He says that both these men "claim that promises about an earthly kingdom forever do not really mean 'forever.' Or, they say that they only apply to time and history such that when time and history have come to an end and give way to a timeless eternity, then the 'everlasting' promises, which only apply to time and history, will be considered as having been fulfilled" (Blaising & Bock, Progressive Dispensationalism [Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 1993], p.32).