The cigar lounge

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have smoked a few from each series, e.g., the 80 yr Maduro from the 26 series, the Maduro Imperial from the 64 series, and, of course, the Marduro Churchhills.

Aside from the right mix of sweet, bitter, and spice bouquet before the light up, a good cigar for me needs to have the long smoke, at least 35-45 minutes with a very even burn, a firm ash, and a draw that does not become acidic by the time I have a couple of inches of the cigar left. The inhale, and I do inhale, has to be soft but carrying a satisfying wallop, too.

I used to chase after every highly rated cigar, but I have settled on one or two brands and only try something new when I visit my local cigar-smoking lounge/club. That happens only once or twice a year.

Let me know when you are in Phoenix.

I use a simple 50-ct desktop humidor with an electronic Thermo-Hygrometer. I then use a sponge based humidifier l that I just keep treated with distilled water.

Up to bat - I smoke several cigars a day, and they generally range from 6.50 x 42, 5.50 x 42, 4.25 x 32 versions of only the Macanudo offerings.

AMR

AMR...if I may ask (and this may be a difficult question to answer), how much should a decent but not too expensive cigar cost? In other words, if I spend between x amount and x amount dollars, I will probably be purchasing a decent cigar...

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
AMR...if I may ask (and this may be a difficult question to answer), how much should a decent but not too expensive cigar cost? In other words, if I spend between x amount and x amount dollars, I will probably be purchasing a decent cigar...
Between $5-$8 if you buy them one at a time at a cigar shop. If you buy them by the box of 20-25 online, you should be able to halve that range.

My most frequent smoke runs around $7.50 at the local smoke shop versus the $4+ it costs by the box.

The Padron item Knight mentioned in the OP runs around $22-$27 in my area. When you start paying $10 and up, you should expect a very high quality smoke as a rule. That said, I once smoked a pre-embargo Cuban (they are legal) at the San Francisco Fairmont Hotel Cigar Shop that cost me $150 and it was one of the worst smokes of my life. ;)

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Tonight... Nub Maduro , not so good.
a689096d-cc92-698b.jpg

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Are you using a wedge/v-punch to smoke it? Hole cutter? I use guillotine cuts.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The 'ol guillotine.
That pix is odd then, as it shows what appears to be a smoked cigar but no apparent cut. In fact I can still see the cap on the end that should be cut completely off.

AMR

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
OK, guys it's time to talk cigars. I never thought I would end up smoking cigars but now that I am older I have found that I very much enjoy a fine cigar on occasion.

Don't get me wrong... I don't smoke everyday, not even every week. Only once or twice a month will I set aside some time to relax and enjoy a fine cigar with a delicious drink amongst friends.

Therefore... if you are a cigar smoker lets talk! What's your favorite type of smoke? How often do you smoke? Where do you smoke?

My all-time favorite smoke is the Padron 1964 Annversario (maduro).

I just found this thread and now someone is talkin my language! Knight you have excellent taste the Padron 1964 Annversario Maduro is probobly one of the finist cigars I have ever put to my lips or allowed to caress my palate. This cigar to me tastes of chocolate covered cherries mmmmm. Have you tried the Arturo Fuente Hemenway's I also love this cigar, with the camaroon wrapper there are so many things (flavor wise) goin on here, awesome. There are just so many cigars I like. Have you tried any of the Rocky Patel's another fine smoke. I saw your choice though and had to post.

Cheers Rocketman

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That pix is odd then, as it shows what appears to be a smoked cigar but no apparent cut. In fact I can still see the cap on the end that should be cut completely off.

AMR
Yeah, that nub was so incredibly fat I could barely fit it in my cutter. I think the picture is a bit of an optical illusion however because it had a fairly wide birth.

Have you ever had a Nub? Ridiculously short, yet ridiculously fat.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have tried a few, usually in some sampler pack I got as a freebie with a regular order. Not my cup of tea.

For large ring cigars, nothing beats the Saladini. I have used it at my cigar lounge club. Impressive and scary in an Italian mobster sort of way. ;)

AMR

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Yeah, I wasn't impressed with it at all.

Whoa... that thing is awesome! :up:

Knight
I don't know where in Colorado your at but, I was in Denver on business a couple of years ago and they had a great cigar bar at a restaurant called Del Rio's. It was pretty awesome, great restaurant also.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Three cigar smoking tips:

At home I use a crème brulee torch for lighting cigars. They are inexpensive, around $25-$40, and yield a rapid light evenly.

When lighting a cigar, first blow out through the cigar once the flame has been applied. Releases toxic flame gas.

Buy a draw poker or have one made by someone who has access to stainless steel thin rods and can file one end into a very sharp point and coil the other end into a ring that fits most index fingers. A draw poker will often salvage a tightly rolled cigar or one with a bad filler plug. In a pinch, wire snips and a metal coat hanger can be used to fashion one up quickly, too. ;)

AMR

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Oatmeal Joey Arnold: Is smoking a cigar a sin at all? AMR, what do you think? Please don't tell me I'm off topic from the OP. I do not want to hear that.

Last edited:

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No thread escapes JA, it seems. Yes, we see you. :wave:

AMR