ECT The "Church" at Acts 2 Was Not the Body of Christ

StanJ

Did you actually read my opening post? If you did you would have seen that the OT Scriptures which I was referring to were found in the second chapter of the book of Job.

You really should read my opening post or else you will not have a clue about the subject of this thread.

The Greek word in the LXX at Joel 2:16 isekklesia. In the Hebrew, the word is Qahal.

Here is what Alfred Edersheim, a Jewish convert to Christianity and a respected Bible scholar, said about those two words::
"Nor would the term 'Church' sound strange in Jewish ears. The same Greek word (ekklesia), as the equivalent of the Hebrew 'Qahal,' 'convocation,' 'the called,' occurs in the LXX. rendering of the Old Testament, and in 'the Wisdom of the Son of Sirach' and was apparently in familiar use at that time. In Hebrew use it referred to Israel, not in their national but in their religious unity" [emphasis added] (Edersheim, The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah [Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. M. Eerdmans Publishing 1971] Book 3, Chapter 37, p.84).
Now do you agree that at Joel 2:16 the word translated "congregation" is "Qahal"? use as many words as you like in answer to my question.

And do you agree that in the Greek Old Testament the word "Qahal" is translated "ekklesia"? Again, use as many words as you like when answering my question.

Yes I did obviously because I asked you 2 questions.
The inference in your post AND your online article is that Qahal and thus Joel 2:16 defines the church in the NT, when it doesn't. What Joel is talking about is the gathered, not the entire nation of Israel.
Gather the people, sanctify the congregation, assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet.
The population of Israel in 835 BCE was 800 thousand adult males based on 2 Sam 24:9 (NIV), so unless you actually believe and can show that more than 2 million people gathered where Joel said to, then the congregation there is ONLY those that gathered, as in ANY congregation in the NT. The BOC is believers in ALL congregations, and NOT limited to Jewish believers as Paul teaches about in Col 3:11 (NIV) and Gal 3:28 (NIV)

DAN P

The inference in your post AND your online article is that Qahal and thus Joel 2:16 defines the church in the NT, when it doesn't. What Joel is talking about is the gathered, not the entire nation of Israel.
Gather the people, sanctify the congregation, assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet.
The population of Israel in 835 BCE was 800 thousand adult males based on 2 Sam 24:9 (NIV), so unless you actually believe and can show that more than 2 million people gathered where Joel said to, then the congregation there is ONLY those that gathered, as in ANY congregation in the NT. The BOC is believers in ALL congregations, and NOT limited to Jewish believers as Paul teaches about in Col 3:11 (NIV) and Gal 3:28 (NIV)

Hi and REEL him in Jerry as KAINOS DIATHEKE means New Testament !!

And EKKLESIA means Assembly !!

He is confused , don't you see !!:rotfl::rotfl:

dan p

Danoh

Which Gospel... and Which Congregation?

Which Gospel... and Which Congregation?

You're fine until that last sentence - this one "The BOC is believers in ALL congregations, and NOT limited to Jewish believers as Paul teaches about in Col 3:11 (NIV) and Gal 3:28 (NIV)."

With Israel's fall in Acts 7:51 per Matthew 12:30-32, God has proven "that they are all - both Jew and Gentile - under sin," Rom.3:9 [please read passages cited].

At that point, you have the Believing remnant of that nation. And you also have the balance of that nation, in unbelief.

The nation's unbelief having been its failure to believe the Spirit's continuance of the Lord's ministry unto that nation through their Believing remnant.

You have that nation's failure to believe the Law and the Prophets that Jesus had been the Christ.

At which point this kicked in big time - Romans 2:

25. For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.

Note the Spirit's Words to that nation through Stephan - Acts 7:

51. Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.
52. Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:
53. Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it.

That, in contrast to this - John 1:

45. Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.

49. Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.

John 5:

44. How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?
45. Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.
46. For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.
47. But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Acts 3:

18. But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.

22. For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.
23. And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.

Back to Romans 2 again -2 5. For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.

That is where Israel is, at that point - in Uncircumcision - concluded under sin with the Gentiles - Romans 11:

30. For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:
31. Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.
32. For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

How might He have this mercy upon both now, without distinction?

Israel is in Uncircumcision; cut off from Peter's Acts 3's:

25. Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed.
26. Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Romans 11:
7. What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded.

The election believed, and therefore remained the Circumcision - Acts 10:

44. While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
45. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

My focus here as to that is that Scripture refers to those believing Jews who had accompanied Peter as "they of the circumcision which believed."

They had believed; and the rest of their nation did not.

What did "they of the circumcision which believed" - believe - before God sealed them and concluded the rest "in uncircumcision?"

And how might God have mercy upon both, Jew and Gentile, seeing as Israel' as a nation was now no better than any other nation - lost in Uncircumcision?

Its explains why Paul still went to Jews, in a seeming break with his agreement in Galatians 2.

Get ready to shout no way, in your gainsaying, lol

Galatians 2:

7. But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
8. [For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:]
9. And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

They agreed to confine their ministry to "the Circumcision."

Identified above as "they of the circumcision which believed."

Their gospel? The gospel of the Circumcision, and its particular truths.

And that Paul would go to the Uncircumcision, Gentiles, heathen...

Identified above not only as the Gentiles, but unbelieving Israel!

Israel concluded by God in Uncircumcision!

Paul's gospel to both Uncircumcision Jew and Gentile?

"The gospel of the uncircumcision."

Case in point - how Jews get saved to day is as Gentiles!

Their nation is in Uncircumcision!

Romans 11:

25. For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
26. And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
27. For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.
28. As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the father’s sakes.
29. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
30. For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:
31. Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.
32. For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

Note how that after the fulness of this Uncircumcision, Gentile salvation be come in, God then turns His attention once more to Israel's "gospel of the Circumcision."

Romans 11:

27. For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Acts 3:

18. But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.
19. Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.
20. And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21. Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

DAN P

You're fine until that last sentence - this one "The BOC is believers in ALL congregations, and NOT limited to Jewish believers as Paul teaches about in Col 3:11 (NIV) and Gal 3:28 (NIV)."

Hi and IF he understood the Present Tense in Gal 3:28 , ALL will see that in the Body of Christ , all lose their Identity in Christ , O WELL !!

DAN P

Jerry Shugart

The inference in your post AND your online article is that Qahal and thus Joel 2:16 defines the church in the NT, when it doesn't.

I am saying that the ekklesia of Acts 2 is not the Body of Christ but instead the Jewish congregation mentioned here:

"Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly: Gather the people, sanctify the congregation (ekklesia) , assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts...And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed. And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions" (Joel 2:16,27-28).​

Did you not read what I said on my initial post?

So the ekklesia mentioned at Acts 2:47 is referring to Israel in her religious unity and it is not referring to the Body of Christ.​

StanJ

Hi and REEL him in Jerry as KAINOS DIATHEKE means New Testament !!
And EKKLESIA means Assembly !!
He is confused , don't you see !!
dan p

Pay attention Dan...it has already been established that you are confused, AND a troll.

StanJ

With Israel's fall in Acts 7:51 per Matthew 12:30-32, God has proven "that they are all - both Jew and Gentile - under sin," Rom.3:9 [please read passages cited].

At that point,

At that point you fell off into something else and didn't support anything up to THAT point.

Israel didn't fall in Acts 7:51 which is about the first martyr for Christianity and his testimony of Jesus, nor anywhere else in the NT, let alone Matt 12:30-32, which is about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which Jesus called the unforgivable sin. I agree with what you say about Rom 3:9, but fail to see a point there?

Now you can address the verses I exegeted and then make a succinct point.
Succinct = posts to the point, NOT onerous.

StanJ

I am saying that the ekklesia of Acts 2 is not the Body of Christ but instead the Jewish congregation mentioned here:
"Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly: Gather the people, sanctify the congregation (ekklesia) , assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts...And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed. And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions" (Joel 2:16,27-28).
So the ekklesia mentioned at Acts 2:47 is referring to Israel in her religious unity and it is not referring to the Body of Christ.

I know what you are saying Jerry, and I'm showing that it is not factual. Do you think every Greek word in the Greek version of the Bible means the same thing in every use? You seems to not understand context, or connotation, which is based on context.

Again, for I don't know how many times, I HAVE read your post and article up to the point where it FELL off track in fallaciousness. You have NOT supported your assertion that the church in Acts 2, Greek or English, refers to the religious unity of Israel. If you didn't get what I explained to you about Joel 2, then you're being stubborn and apparently to prideful to see the reality of what IS happening in Acts. Are you Jewish per chance?

Jerry Shugart

I know what you are saying Jerry, and I'm showing that it is not factual.

You have not shown even one error in what I wrote.

Do you think every Greek word in the Greek version of the Bible means the same thing in every use? You seems to not understand context or connotation, which is based on context.

I never said that! Since you cannot prove that anything which I said is in error you are now just making things up!

You have NOT supported your assertion that the church in Acts 2, Greek or English, refers to the religious unity of Israel.

"Let us look at the events here which surrounded the ekklesia of Acts 2:

"For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams" (Acts 2:16-17).​

The exact same events are foretold here by Joel and these events surround the church, which in this case is Israel in her religious unity:

"Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly: Gather the people, sanctify the congregation (ekklesia) , assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts...And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed. And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions" (Joel 2:16,27-28).​

In other words, the things which happened at Acts 2 were the same exact things which were prophesised to happen to the Jewish congregation and not to the body of Christ. To prove that, let us look at this verse again:

"Gather the people, sanctify the congregation (Qahal), assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet" (Joel 2:16).​

Here the Hebrew word Qahal is translated "congregation" and the Hebrew word means "the congregation of the people of Israel" (Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon).

So the things that happened on the day of Pentecost were foretold as happening to the Jewish church and not to the Body of Christ.

StanJ

You have not shown even one error in what I wrote.

You not recognizing or admitting to it doesn't change the reality of it.

I never said that! Since you cannot prove that anything which I said is in error you are now just making things up!

I know, it was a question, and yes I made up that question out of my own little mind...now how about answering?

In other words, the things which happened at Acts 2 were the same exact things which were prophesised to happen to the Jewish congregation and not to the body of Christ. To prove that, let us look at this verse again:
Here the Hebrew word Qahal is translated "congregation" and the Hebrew word means "the congregation of the people of Israel" (Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon).
So the things that happened on the day of Pentecost were foretold as happening to the Jewish church and not to the Body of Christ.

Prophetic fulfillment doesn't mean what you assert it does Jerry. Jesus fulfilled over 600 prophecies. Nobody said Joel's prophecy didn't happened, I said I don't support you assertion because Joel didn't say it was Israel in his prophecy did he? Also you seem to scoot over Joel 2:28 (NIV) where God says; "and after that, I will pour out my spirit on ALL people."

What Joel prophesied did NOT say it was going to ONLY happened to the Jewish church, that is what YOU say it does. I've shown you it doesn't.
You want to take one particular verse and pluck it from ALL the OT prophecies and eisegete it so say something it does NOT. ALL the prophecies in the OT, about the NC/NT are for ALL peoples, Jews and Gentiles. Bottom line is though is that it is ONLY for believers, and the state religion of Jesus' day were NOT believers. Peter never addressed them as such in the very verse you try to use to support this weird POV.
Your attempt to make it exclusively about a Jewish Religion that was on it's way out and was NEVER in God's plans for His NC, is very strange to say the least, but obviously, for some reason you have a vested interest in this, despite what the entire OT clearly teaches.

Jerry Shugart

Nobody said Joel's prophecy didn't happened, I said I don't support you assertion because Joel didn't say it was Israel in his prophecy did he?

Let us look at this verse again:

"Gather the people, sanctify the congregation (Qahal), assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet" (Joel 2:16).​

Even though you have already been shown this you say that "Joel didn't say it was Israel in his prophecy."

Since you think that you know more than the Bible scholars please quote just one expert on the Hebrew language who says that the word Qahal is referring to the Body of Christ.

Also you seem to scoot over Joel 2:28 (NIV) where God says; "and after that, I will pour out my spirit on ALL people."

What Joel prophesied did NOT say it was going to ONLY happened to the Jewish church, that is what YOU say it does. I've shown you it doesn't.

The prophecy was beginning to get fulfilled until the nation of Israel did not repent and turn to God. Peter told them:

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, that the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you" (Acts 3:19-20).​

If Israel would have repented then all of the prophecy of Joel would have been fulfilled.

Your attempt to make it exclusively about a Jewish Religion that was on it's way out and was NEVER in God's plans for His NC, is very strange to say the least, but obviously, for some reason you have a vested interest in this, despite what the entire OT clearly teaches.

At the time of Acts 2 Judaism was not on its way out. If the nation of Israel would have repented at Acts 3 then the times of refreshing would have come from the presence of the Lord.

You have a closed mind and that is why you are unable to understand the most simple things that the Scriptures reveal about this subject.

beloved57

Yes, he said that he persecuted the ekklesia of God. That refers to the Jewish church mentioned here:

The following prophecy was totally in regard to the religious unity of Israel and Israel alone:

You just assume that there was only one ekklesia in existence during the Acts period.

You are deceived and deceiving others, for there's only one The Church of God, that is why it has the definite article before it 1 Corinthians 15:9;Acts 20:28 !

StanJ

"Gather the people, sanctify the congregation (Qahal), assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet" (Joel 2:16).

Even though you have already been shown this you say that "Joel didn't say it was Israel in his prophecy."

Since you think that you know more than the Bible scholars please quote just one expert on the Hebrew language who says that the word Qahal is referring to the Body of Christ.

The prophecy was beginning to get fulfilled until the nation of Israel did not repent and turn to God. Peter told them:
"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, that the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you" (Acts 3:19-20).
If Israel would have repented then all of the prophecy of Joel would have been fulfilled.

At the time of Acts 2 Judaism was not on its way out. If the nation of Israel would have repented at Acts 3 then the times of refreshing would have come from the presence of the Lord.

You have a closed mind and that is why you are unable to understand the most simple things that the Scriptures reveal about this subject.

Not addressing what I DID respond to you with and repeating yourself is useless with me Jerry. If you didn't understand it the first time, it won't help if I repeat myself., which I am loathe to do because of your unreceptive heart. The congregation is who are gathered, NOT the whole of Israel. Regardless, it doesn't support your assertion about Acts 2.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

So the ekklesia mentioned at Acts 2:47 is referring to Israel in her religious unity and it is not referring to the Body of Christ.​

Wrong.

The church began with Jewish believers, but was extended to include all who believed of any and all nations, without any change in the gospel inaugurated by Christ at the cross.

No change occurs at the return of Christ either.

Act 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
Act 11:16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
Act 11:17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

Act 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.
LA

Jerry Shugart

Not addressing what I DID respond to you with and repeating yourself is useless with me Jerry. If you didn't understand it the first time, it won't help if I repeat myself., which I am loathe to do because of your unreceptive heart. The congregation is who are gathered, NOT the whole of Israel. Regardless, it doesn't support your assertion about Acts 2.

You still have not made even one point that proves that anything I said is wrong. You are totally confused and that is why you are unable to back up your ideas by any Hebrew experts.

Nobody said Joel's prophecy didn't happened, I said I don't support you assertion because Joel didn't say it was Israel in his prophecy did he?

"Gather the people, sanctify the congregation (Qahal), assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet" (Joel 2:16).

Of course you had no answer!

Of course the church mentioned at Acts 2 was the same church mentioned at Joel 2:16.

And you had nothing to say about Peter's words here:

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, that the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you" (Acts 3:19-20).​

Sir Robert Anderson offers the following commentary on Peter's words"

"To represent this as Christian doctrine, or the institution of 'a new religion,' is to betray ignorance alike of Judaism and of Christianity. The speakers were Jews--the apostles of One who was Himself 'a minister of the circumcision.' Their hearers were Jews, and as Jews they were addressed. The Pentecostal Church which was based upon the testimony was intensely and altogether Jewish. It was not merely that the converts were Jews, and none but Jews, but that the idea of evangelising Gentiles never was even mooted. When the first great persecution scattered the disciples, and they 'went everywhere preaching the Word,' they preached, we are expressly told, 'to none but to the Jews'."

"The Jerusalem Church, then, was Jewish. Their Bible was the Jewish Scriptures. The Jewish temple was their house of prayer and common meeting-place. Their beliefs and hopes and words and acts all marked them out as Jews...Nothing was further from the thoughts of these men than 'founding a new religion.' On the contrary, while hailing the rejected Nazarene as their national Messiah, they clung with passionate devotion to the religion of their fathers" (Anderson, The Silence of God [Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Publications, 1978] pp. 75-76; 77-78).​

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

The church began with Jewish believers, but was extended to include all who believed of any and all nations, without any change in the gospel inaugurated by Christ at the cross.

Then why did they not go to any Gentiles when they were scattered:

"Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only" (Acts 11:19).​

God's Truth

Then why did they not go to any Gentiles when they were scattered:

"Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only" (Acts 11:19).​

Just because the message was given first to the Jews and then later to the Gentiles does NOT mean it is two different gospels.

God's Truth

Acts 13:48 When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.

Eternal life is the gift, the reward, the inheritance.

There is only ONE gift, reward, inheritance---eternal life!