The catastrophic tsunami in Asia was....

The catastrophic tsunami in Asia was....

• Predestined by God

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • A judgment upon the wicked from God

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • A sign of the end times

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • A conspiracy staged by the U.N.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • A conspiracy staged by the Bush Administration

• A sign of global warming

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Mother Earth striking back for overpopulation

• A well orchestrated terrorist attack

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Bad karma

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • A tragic random event

Votes: 45 71.4%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 11 17.5%

• Total voters

STONE

Originally posted by 1Way

Stone, I hear you are a closed viewer. Welcome to TOL. I'm an open viewer with a difference, I'm biblically cogent (although still a budding bible student). So I'm perplexed by your response. It is impossible have genuine love shared between two or more people if one person is a control freak and nothing happens unless the one causes it to happen. You have no genuine love with a puppet, but if you freely give of yourself as Jesus did for all of humanity, then and only then can true love happen.

Or, do you believe that Jesus had no choice but that He had to die for us, He did not do so willingly of His own free will? What do you think?

Every closed theist I've ever heard "freely" of admits that God has "free will". Sometimes they brag that He is the only being that has a free will. Of course if you sometimes don't have free will, then you never truely had it in the first place. Sort of like being pregnant, after you are with baby, you can't say that sometime you are not pregnant, either you are or you are not.

So God has free will, and that is great to recognize that fact. If the greatest love was shown by freely giving His life for His friends, and our saving relationship is supposed to be typified by God's awesome love, then why can't we ever have or share that kind of love since are never free to offer it? The only way anyone who does not have a free will is able to love anyone is when the one who controls the puppet makes it supposedly love others. But, God already demonstrated that godly love is freely offered, it can not be forced.

Can a rapist kidnapper force his victim to love him, of course not, he can't because being such a control freak is closer to being criminally insane than it is being the loving God of this universe. Freedom is essential to true righteous godly love, and personal freedom is why God repeatedly expects us to choose right from wrong, life from death, etc. If we have no personal free will, then God is dishonest when He expects us to choose, when He requires us to respond to the gospel message unto salvation, etc.

1way,
I can understand the dillema you pose, and it is reasonable.
To help you better understand please first consider that God is not a rapist, but is perfect in all his ways, and entirely lovable when understood.
The problem is man's mind is carnal, and cannot understand God as He truly Is.
But by His Grace we come to understand and know God through Faith; but even this faith is not of ourselves...it is the Gift of God.

Why doesn't God give Grace to all men so all can know Him?
He does. But man's sinful inclination makes man love darkness rather than light, for man's deeds are evil. For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. Only by God leading men to the truth of their own weakness, through suffering and failure, can man accept the Word of God and truly know and love Him through the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Rom 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Rom 8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
Rom 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

E.g.,
Jer 1:4 Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
Jer 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

JRHoffman

But I wonder about the accuracy and completeness of your response. Specifically to 1,2,4,6. In particular, God does not posses our human traits, but we posses His traits, like being rational, moral, social, intelligent creatures? I would not so quickly dismiss God's attributes as not being like ours, with the exception that God seems have a perfect record of doing right, and we have a terrible record of not doing right.

Lets put this in perspective. God is Spirit we are flesh and blood. God is the creator we are the creation. God is the soveriegn power that controls the entire universe we are microscopic beings on a speck of dust in the vast realm of space. We only know a tiny bit about God that He has chosen to reveal to us in His Word. What the term "made in His image" means will be debated until the end of this world but although He gave Adam and Eve the traits you mentioned we cannot even imagine them in the context of God's holiness and power.

Jesus is God, right? Didn't He need sleep like we do?

When Christ was on this earth he took on the physical limitations of man. Sleep is an item needed to keep us healthy and prevent physical death. Although I believe Christ is still fully man and fully God he no longers needs sleep because he is no longer in bondage to our physical limitations.

Lastly, just how far into the past do you think that God knew about that specific national disaster?

Time is an element that God created for us. He is not subject to that physical limitation but sees and knows the beginning and the end at once.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Knight

He does know it all.

God knows everything that is knowable and that He chooses to know.

Well this is a tap dance, Knight. You're saying he knows only what he chooses, which leaves plenty outside his knowledge.

Z Man

Originally posted by granite1010

Well this is a tap dance, Knight. You're saying he knows only what he chooses, which leaves plenty outside his knowledge.
To Knight, God can only know as much as he does. :rolleyes:

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Stone,
You say you understand my dilemma, however I find large scale diversion is,,, not very convincing.

I asked you specific questions and set up a clear context. I'll know that you understand what I am getting at when you answer what I'm asking and respond to my challenges. Please try again.

:) And remember, if you feel like you made
a mistake, you didn't, God sovereignly did it.
Ah yes, very simple and always convenient. ;)
It is impossible have genuine love shared between two or more people if one person is a control freak and nothing happens unless the one causes it to happen. You have no genuine love with a puppet, but if you freely give of yourself as Jesus did for all of humanity, then and only then can true love happen.

Or, (_Q1_) do you believe that Jesus had no choice but that He had to die for us, He did not do so willingly of His own free will? What do you think?
The following is edited for improved clarity.
So God has free will, and that is great to recognize that fact. The greatest love was shown by freely giving His life for His friends. Conversely, if you eliminate free will, then forcing the death of another person is pretty much the definition of murder, and not love. However, our saving relationship is supposed to be typified by God's awesome love (right?), so then (_Q2_) why shouldn't we naturally expect to have and share that kind of love since His love works in us and we are supposed to share His love with others?
Thanks for clearing up the supposed confusion over whether or not God is actually a rapist kidnapper or not, you had me going there for a while.
If we have no personal free will, then God is dishonest when He expects us to choose, when He requires us to respond to the gospel message unto salvation, etc.
The challenge is direct and clear, and now the question is fully stated.
(_Q3_) How do you explain every time that God teaches us that we have the right and the God given expectation to make our own choices, and more importantly, why do those choices appear to be of our own free will, unforced and uncaused by anyone but one's self?
I hope you see the force of this question in that we all have God's word, which in this particular example lends to man having a free will in the plainest and most consistent fashion, and conversely we have man's word which suggests that we do not have free will. We can dive into other bible examples if you wish later on, but for now, to the extent that it's possible, lets stick with the one's currently raised.
Thanks

King David

Tsunami was a WARNING!!!

Tsunami was a WARNING!!!

I reiterate--

1 THERE were present at that season some that told him of the Galilæans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.

2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilæans were sinners above all the Galilæans, because they suffered such things?

3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?

5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

-Luke 13:4

...your Father which is in heaven....maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

-Matthew 5:45

17 Hearken ye, for, behold, the great day of the Lord is nigh at hand.

18 For the day cometh that the Lord shall utter his voice out of heaven; the heavens shall shake and the earth shall tremble, and the trump of God shall sound both long and loud, and shall say to the sleeping nations: Ye saints arise and live; ye sinners stay and sleep until I shall call again.

19 Wherefore gird up your loins lest ye be found among the wicked.

20 Lift up your voices and spare not. Call upon the nations to repent, both old and young, both bond and free, saying: Prepare yourselves for the great day of the Lord;

21 For if I, who am a man, do lift up my voice and call upon you to repent, and ye hate me, what will ye say when the day cometh when the thunders shall utter their voices from the ends of the earth, speaking to the ears of all that live, saying—Repent, and prepare for the great day of the Lord?

22 Yea, and again, when the lightnings shall streak forth from the east unto the west, and shall utter forth their voices unto all that live, and make the ears of all tingle that hear, saying these words—Repent ye, for the great day of the Lord is come?

23 And again, the Lord shall utter his voice out of heaven, saying: Hearken, O ye nations of the earth, and hear the words of that God who made you.

24 O, ye nations of the earth, how often would I have gathered you together as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, but ye would not!

25 How oft have I called upon you by the mouth of my servants, and by the ministering of angels, and by mine own voice, and by the voice of thunderings, and by the voice of lightnings, and by the voice of tempests, and by the voice of earthquakes, and great hailstorms, and by the voice of famines and pestilences of every kind, and by the great sound of a trump, and by the voice of judgment, and by the voice of mercy all the day long, and by the voice of glory and honor and the riches of eternal life, and would have saved you with an everlasting salvation, but ye would not!

26 Behold, the day has come, when the cup of the wrath of mine indignation is full.

27 Behold, verily I say unto you, that these are the words of the Lord your God.

-Doctrine & Covenants 43

ALL OF THE ABOVE SCRIPTURES HERE APPLY.

--KING DAVID

1Way

JRH

You said
We only know a tiny bit about God that He has chosen to reveal to us in His Word. What the term "made in His image" means will be debated until the end of this world but although He gave Adam and Eve the traits you mentioned we cannot even imagine them in the context of God's holiness and power.
I percieve that you have a flare for flamboyance and subjective creativity, good for artists, bad for theology. I prefer what God says about our knowledge of Himself, which is extensive according to the riches He has given us according to His word.

You have a point, there is much more to learn that we can't know yet, but that is pretty much beside the point, we are talking about what we can and do know. What we do know is significant and God given, even those going to hell, even pagans without God,
Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible [attributes] are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
Also
1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
Even if the reflection in the mirror does not give a very high resolution, this dimly seen understanding is still significant and lends to great understanding. Will we gain more clarity? Yes! But will the idea of who God is be very different, not remotely, not unless God's word was not faithful and true.

And if we are saved, then we have the mind of Christ, we have Him living in our being which is being conformed into His likeness, sanctification! Our understanding of godly things are supposed to be characterized as being of one mind and of one faith!

Now the fair question is raised. But are we always of one mind and of one faith? Are we always living a life that conforms to santification? No, but that is God's clearly expressed teaching and expectation. We can mess up our understanding of who God is, and we can be honestly mistaken, but God's word gives us great clarity and confidence in understanding who He is.

And so I think that it is more accurately those who misunderstand or contradict God and His word who would purposefully serve to undermine the great sufficiency and richness that we have in understanding our personal savior.

God does not need sleep
Thanks for standing corrected for overstating the truth, indeed, for a most important length of time, God needed sleep.

Time is an element that God created for us. He is not subject to that physical limitation but sees and knows the beginning and the end at once.
I'm sorry, but now I have to take back my compliment that you seem to tend to reference scripture for your points. This is not a fictional forum, we are talking about absolute truth. As best as I can tell, those who most clearly propogated the idea that time is something that was created was the ancient Greek philosophers and mythologists. That idea is foreign and contrary to God's word.

Secondly, the idea that God sees and knows the beginning and the end at once is a near maligning of what God actually says. God says that concerning things not yet done, He takes care of such matters because He is wise, i.e. the entire bible teaches that there is none wiser than God, so He plans really well, and that His plans come about because He is able to bring them into being, not because He already saw what will happen (Exhaustive Foreknowledge) but because He is "able" to bring about His wise plans. God "declaring" the end from the beginning is a statement of His authority and power, it is not a statement of exhaustive foreknowledge.

Furthermore, every time God does not do what He said and or thought He was going to do, that completely eliminates the notion that God's foreknowledge is exhaustive. It take a 5 year old's mentality to understand that if you perfectly know what you will do, you would never change your mind about it. It's just that simple. God relenting, that is, the God of the bible, is mutually exclusive to a God that has exhaustive foreknowledge.

1Way

Following up on what King David wrote. I reject his reference to "-Doctrine & Covenants 43" as being divinely authoritative, it is not.

Is God in everything?

As already stated, it's hard to believe that God will be in Hell.

How about this?
1 Kings 19:11 Then He said, "Go out, and stand on the mountain before the LORD." And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the LORD, [but] the LORD [was] not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, [but] the LORD [was] not in the earthquake; 1 Kings 19:12 and after the earthquake a fire, [but] the LORD [was] not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.
Trust God, not everything that happens, happens because God made it or wanted it to specifically happen that way. Many things just happen by "chance".
Luke 10:31 "Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
Closed viewers tend to like to say that God controls everything, there isn't a single maverick molecule in the universe. Yet in so saying, they are also suggesting that God could not be so powerful as to create a universe such that it works more or less automatically without His constant control. And so the typical Calvinist/Reformed believer self contradicts. While feigning that their version of God has more power and control, they reduce His power and capability significantly while suggesting that we open theists are wrong for restricting God. :freak:

And so we respond, we are not restricting God, we just don't put false and contradictory expectations upon who God is. He is righteous and logical and way more powerful and capable than you seem willing to allow. Let God be true and every man a liar.

King David

Following up on what King David wrote. I reject his reference to "-Doctrine & Covenants 43" as being divinely authoritative, it is not.

And how know you this? Have you ever examined it?

For I say unto you that I know that it is of God.

Furthermore, besides dismissing out of hand the one scripture, you have also ignored the others I gave.

--KING DAVID

Christine

God.

God is the answer.
Of course God is the answer

God sovereignly created beings with a true freewill. And to accomplish this God had to create us in such a way that gave us the real ability to choose Him without coercion. Therefore God chose to leave the future open to the extent of His desire.
Scripture Knight, scripture. What does the Bible say?

This is the true power of God! Working His plan in the mix with billions and billions and billions of freewill creatures. Now THAT is power.
What about the Bible? Will you please show me some verses that you believe support this view of yours?

A completey sovereign God. So sovereign that He is even sovereign over His own sovereignity.
What are you trying to say here? Does God have "rules" He abides by?

God's understanding is infinite. God understands everything that is understandable.
Are you assuming that the future is not "understandable" to God?
You continue... Your theology causes you to see something in this verse that simply isn't there.
All I did was quote the verse, I didn't expound on the verse or read anything into the passage.

The verse states that if God wants something to come to pass it will indeed come to pass. And how does it come to pass? Well.... keep reading the rest of the chapter to find out...

Isaiah 46:11 Calling a bird of prey from the east, The man who executes My counsel, from a far country. Indeed I have spoken it; I will also bring it to pass. I have purposed it; I will also do it.

There are certain things that are part of God's plan that He intends to do and who can stop Him?
No one can stop God with the view of a soverign God as I see.

On the other hand

With your view, what's to stop God from being surprised, shocked, stopped, etc by man's actions He hadn't forseen?

STONE

1way,

I already answered your question.

Let me ask you a question: If God gave you the choice of being MANIPULATED by Him through life to His intended outcome for you, or packing your bags for the lake of fire...which would you choose?

JRHoffman

You have a point, there is much more to learn that we can't know yet, but that is pretty much beside the point, we are talking about what we can and do know. What we do know is significant and God given.

33O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and the knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past tracing out! 34For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? 35or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? 36For of him, and through him, and unto him, are all things. To him be the glory for ever. Amen.
American Standard Version. (Ro 11:33-36).

12 Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measuree, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?  13 Who hath directed the Spirit of the LORD, or being his counsellor hath taught him?  14 With whom took he counsel, and who instructedf him, and taught him in the path of judgment, and taught him knowledge, and shewed to him the way of understanding?  15 Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance: behold, he taketh up the isles as a very little thing. 16 And Lebanon is not sufficient to burn, nor the beasts thereof sufficient for a burnt offering. 17 All nations before him are as nothing; and they are counted to him less than nothing, and vanity.
18 To whom then will ye liken God? or what likeness will ye compare unto him? 19 The workman melteth a graven image, and the goldsmith spreadeth it over with gold, and casteth silver chains. 20 He that is so impoverished that he hath no oblation chooseth a tree that will not rot; he seeketh unto him a cunning workman to prepare a graven image, that shall not be moved.  21 Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth? 22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:  23 That bringeth the princes to nothing; he maketh the judges of the earth as vanity. 24 Yea, they shall not be planted; yea, they shall not be sown: yea, their stock shall not take root in the earth: and he shall also blow upon them, and they shall wither, and the whirlwind shall take them away as stubble. 25 To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One. 26 Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that he is strong in power; not one faileth.
27 Why sayest thou, O Jacob, and speakest, O Israel, My way is hid from the LORD, and my judgment is passed over from my God? 28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.
The Holy Bible : King James Version. 1995 (Is 40:12-28).

8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. 9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
The Holy Bible : King James Version. 1995 (Is 55:8-9). [/QUOTE]

God does not need sleep
Thanks for standing corrected for overstating the truth, indeed, for a most important length of time, God needed sleep.

See Isaiah 40:28 above.
I'm sorry, but now I have to take back my compliment that you seem to tend to reference scripture for your points. This is not a fictional forum, we are talking about absolute truth. As best as I can tell, those who most clearly propogated the idea that time is something that was created was the ancient Greek philosophers and mythologists. That idea is foreign and contrary to God's word.

The creation of Time. see verse 5

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. 4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.  5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
The Holy Bible : King James Version. 1995 (Ge 1:1-5).

16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.
The Holy Bible : King James Version. 1995 (1 Ti 6:16).

Secondly, the idea that God sees and knows the beginning and the end at once is a near maligning of what God actually says. God says that concerning things not yet done, He takes care of such matters because He is wise, i.e. the entire bible teaches that there is none wiser than God, so He plans really well, and that His plans come about because He is able to bring them into being, not because He already saw what will happen (Exhaustive Foreknowledge) but because He is "able" to bring about His wise plans. God "declaring" the end from the beginning is a statement of His authority and power, it is not a statement of exhaustive foreknowledge.

God’s consciousness differs from that of his rational creatures in that there is no succession in it. This is one of the differences between the infinite and the finite mind. For God there is no series of decrees each separated from the others by an interval of time. God is omniscient, possessing the whole of his plans and purposes simultaneously: “All things are naked and opened” to his view, in one intuition. God is immutable, and therefore there are no sequences and changes of experience in him. Consequently, the determinations of his will, as well as the thoughts of his understanding, are simultaneous, not successive. In the formation of the divine decree, there are no intervals; but only in the execution of it. Christ, the atoning lamb, “was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifested in these last times” (1 Pet. 1:20). The decree that Christ should die for sin was eternal; the actual death of Christ was in time. There was an interval of four thousand years between the creation of Adam and the birth of Christ; but there was no such interval between the decree to create Adam and the decree that Christ should be born in Bethlehem. Both decrees are simultaneous because both are eternal decisions of the divine will:

See Psalms 90:1-4;

Furthermore, every time God does not do what He said and or thought He was going to do, that completely eliminates the notion that God's foreknowledge is exhaustive. It take a 5 year old's mentality to understand that if you perfectly know what you will do, you would never change your mind about it. It's just that simple. God relenting, that is, the God of the bible, is mutually exclusive to a God that has exhaustive foreknowledge.

One of the attributes of God is that He is immutable, (See Hebrews 13:8, 6:17, which means that He never changes. There is no reason for God to change. He knows the end from the beginning. God knows the end from the beginning, and there is no reason for Him to change His mind. He is carrying on the program that He outlined at the beginning, and He is simply following through on it. Therefore, God does not change.
But Scripture does say that God repents. Follow me carefully here: There are expressions used in the Word of God which are called anthropomorphic terms; that is, there are certain attributes of man which are ascribed to God. In the Bible certain physical and psychological attributes of man are attributed to God.
In Jonah we have an example: God repents. To repent means to change your mind; that is what it means when it applies to me. When I repent, I change my mind. I did something wrong, and I now see that it was wrong. I turn from it, and I go to God and ask forgiveness for it—I come over on God’s side. To confess your sin is to come over and agree with God about your sin.
But does God repent like that? Does He change His mind? Does He say, “My, I made a mistake there; I shouldn’t destroy Nineveh”? No. We need to see that the city of Nineveh had two options when this man Jonah entered it with his message of judgment. They could reject God’s message, they could ignore it, they could pay no attention to it, and if they did, they would be destroyed—God never changed that. Or they could accept God’s message, they could turn to Him, and God would deliver and save them. God is immutable—He never changes. When His Word is rejected, when people turn from Him, they are lost. But when they turn to Him, He will always save them, regardless of who they are.
Therefore, who changed? Did God change? No, but it looked as if He did. Jonah had said, “Yet forty days, and this city is going to be destroyed. God is going to destroy it.” But God did not destroy Nineveh. Did God break His Word? No. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. The city had two options. If they had not accepted His Word, they would have been destroyed. But they did accept God’s message, they believed God, and they turned from their wickedness. God didn’t change; He will always save people when they turn to Him. Although it looked as if God changed, it was really the city of Nineveh that changed, and that makes all the difference in the world.

See Numbers 23:19, Psalm 33:11, Malachi 3:6, James 1:16-18,

Christine

Christine.... why do you think God is incapable of choosing to create in any manner He desires?
I didn't say that.

I say God has control over His own power! Isn't it possible that God has the ability to create in such a way so that He could work with His creation and get a true un-coerced love from them?
He did. God does not "coerce" men. He chooses who will follow Him and who won't, yet we never feeled forced, even though God is always in control.

You seem to be saying God does not have the power to create unless He created in a way that conforms to your own presuppositions about God.

So what?

I could just as easily say that it seems you believe that God needs to conform to your presuppositions. We'd both make the same claim.

1 John 3:20 "For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things".

Phillipians 3:21 "Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself."

1Way

JRH,

I already intimated your point you quoted to me from the bible about the length and depth, i.e. the expanse of who God is, and that it is beyond pluming. I said that, so whether you like it or not, I agree with my argument I promoted. I hardly need you to respond by informing me of the scripture that I already referenced. Here's a tip, the next time someone agrees with you, don't argue against them over that same point.

As to "God's ways being higher than our ways", that's right, but they are not lower than our ways either! Point remains that there is a very significant overlap in the nature of who God is and who man is.

Neither of these points overturn the bible points I made that teach that we have a significant amount of understanding of who God is. But then again, for some reason you avoided them. Perhaps because they make me look right for asking you to reconsider that you seem to have slightly overstated the truth about God's attributes being so different from ours.

So now you are arguing against yourself. Are you that determined to argue against me that you will contradict yourself just to oppose me? :freak:

You overstated the point by denying that God needs sleep. It's not a hugely important distinction, I just called your attention to a simple overstatement, you agreed with the point, and so I thanked you for your intellectual honesty and so you argue back against me for some strange reason. You do know the difference between agreeing with someone and arguing against them,,, right?

I think you may be ill. There is nothing about God creating time there. God created the sun and earth and the light and planetary rotation, but none of that is time, instead, they are what they are, physical objects or energy at work. Time is not the sun or the earth, and time is not planetary motion, so please try again.

You said
God’s consciousness differs from that of his rational creatures in that there is no succession in it. ...
Ok, we can stop right there. This is starting to get old now. God says that before He created this world, He shared His glory from the Father to the Son. Sharing connotes the idea of an event with some duration just as any other sharing event we have ever known. So ultimately, I have the bible, which teaches consistently that God exists in reality that includes time, and then I have you just making up claims saying that God's consciousness differs from ours because there is no succession in it. No contest, God wins and you loose.

I can show God explaining that He changed His mind over the course of discovering the outcomes of new events, and yet you believe that God's mental process is without duration (timeless). God is true and every man a liar. Your wrong for contradicting God's word.

Maybe you'd like to offer your explanation for why God is found of saying, "now I know", demonstrating that God's thought process is positively linked with time and duration and has traceable succession. And mark my words, it will not be pretty if you just try to negate the meaning plainly offered and replace it with nothing substantive. God is pretty clear how ugly He views doing such a high fisted (read sinful) thing. If you believe it's a figure of speech, your entitled to your opinion, but if you offer no explanation for what the figure means, then your laughing stock will be dismissed for the foolishness that it is.

Please amend matters as best as possible, or I will gladly move on to logical and non-contradictory discussions.

JRHoffman

I think you may be ill. There is nothing about God creating time there. God created the sun and earth and the light and planetary rotation, but none of that is time, instead, they are what they are, physical objects or energy at work. Time is not the sun or the earth, and time is not planetary motion, so please try again.

Perhaps you need to study the meaning of time. It based on the all of the things you mentioned in the above. In fact, relating to this thread, scientists tell us the tsunami had such force it caused time to stop for a millisecond because it interrupted the rotation of the earth. Time, as one dictionary puts it “It is a physically measurable quantity related to motion, or change.” God is spirit and has no need for “time.” He is immutable (unchanging) and has no need for “time.” He created the aspect of what we call time when he created the heavens and the earth.

Where there is continual light without change there is no time.

JRHoffman

JRH,

You said Ok, we can stop right there. This is starting to get old now. God says that before He created this world, He shared His glory from the Father to the Son. Sharing connotes the idea of an event with some duration just as any other sharing event we have ever known. So ultimately, I have the bible, which teaches consistently that God exists in reality that includes time, and then I have you just making up claims saying that God's consciousness differs from ours because there is no succession in it. No contest, God wins and you loose.

I can show God explaining that He changed His mind over the course of discovering the outcomes of new events, and yet you believe that God's mental process is without duration (timeless). God is true and every man a liar. Your wrong for contradicting God's word.
Maybe you'd like to offer your explanation for why God is found of saying, "now I know", demonstrating that God's thought process is positively linked with time and duration and has traceable succession. And mark my words, it will not be pretty if you just try to negate the meaning plainly offered and replace it with nothing substantive. God is pretty clear how ugly He views doing such a high fisted (read sinful) thing. If you believe it's a figure of speech, your entitled to your opinion, but if you offer no explanation for what the figure means, then your laughing stock will be dismissed for the foolishness that it is.

Please amend matters as best as possible, or I will gladly move on to logical and non-contradictory discussions.

God in His revelation of Himself to us tells us attributes of His nature which cannot be contradicted. He is omniscient (all knowing), omnipresent (existing everywhere at once), omnipotent (all powerful), immutable (never changing) to name a few. When the Word of God was given to us, many times infinite truth was written in a way that our finite minds could gain understanding. Sometimes, in the reading of His Word we come across phrases such as you mentioned above that seem to contradict these attributes. Often it is the fault of the translator and can be rectified by going to the original language and finding a better meaning for the word. If as you say, God must change His mind because of our actions, then he ceases to be omniscient. If He becomes subject to our movements we the creation become the controlling power in the universe and God ceases to be omnipotent. An example is found in the passage you alluded to about God saying “now I Know” this concerns the testing of Abraham’s faith in offering up Isaac. If God was dependent upon the action of Abraham to gain know He would cease to be omniscient so how do we deal with this passage. We look at the Hebrew word (atah) which is translated as "now" (Genesis 26:22), “whereas” (II Chron.10:11 which would render the translation “whereas I know" implying omniscience), “From this time forth” (Psalms 113:2- which if used in this passage would infer that God knew Abraham would obey from this time forth) and “for as for me, straightway” (Daniel 10:17 which also implies omniscience on the part of God.

1Way

JRH,
Time is nothing like what you said it is. The idea that time is a part of this physical universe the same as any other created thing, is nothing more than a figment of one's imagination. This whole issue should focus on God's word, but instead it's mostly about your manmade concept that time in a created thing and is correlated or dare I say, equated with solar orbits and or axial rotational speed.

Hmmm
How many times does the moon rotate around it's own axis? It's a simple question but not something that I keep on the top of my head. I think we both would agree that together, the earth along with it's moon takes one year to make one orbit around the sun. But your hooked on the daily rotation of the planet earth and it's supposed correlation to time. So lets focus on that.

Ok
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just did a quick web search and found that the moon's "day" is 27 of our earth days, boy what an excellent ratio. I also saw 29 days, but that didn't sound as much like the equivelant description of an earth day, not sure though so I'll stick with the more conservative figure.
http://www.jimloy.com/astro/moon4.htm
So if your idea that time is basically the same as the axial rotational speed such as the earth's daily axial rotation, then according to that ( :darwinsm: ) ... ( :straight faced: ) idea, if earthlings would live on the moon, then they would live 27 times longer than we earthlings. Lets say that most people on earth live to an average of 82 years old, we simply multiply that average by a factor of 27 to see what the new Mean Time Before Failure would become. So according to your idea, we should find lunar people (Lunings?) ( :darwinsm: ) living on average to about 2,214 years... Well, that is if they were born on the moon...

But wait, it gets even better. The moon takes the same amount of "time" as our earth takes to orbit once around the sun, give or take perhaps some slight variation because of the added complexity and slight variation of the moon's orbit around the earth, but you get the point, they are on the same solar orbit duration timescale. So if you consider the daily axial rotation, time on the moon should be 27 times slower, but if you consider the solar orbit, time on the moon should be the same as on earth.

So which is it? Is the day "clock" or the year "clock" that would be accurate? :chuckles:

I can't wait to hear your specific response to that question. If you dare to even give one.

Sorry, but I don't think I can make your idea look any more bankrupt than simply considering it. However, I am fallible. If your right, and I was the least bit enterprising, I could become a billion zillion quadzillion-air by building a space resort (like a space station only way better) that would remain somewhat near enough to earth so as to allow occasional visits, but I would slow down it's rotation and solar orbit such that people would live for millions of years on average!!!! I would instantly become the defacto world's richest man without any doubt what so ever. Then, because I'm such a nice guy, I would use some of that money and promote your book and movie rights for clueing me in on the most wonderful life-prolonging secret ever discovered.

Sigh
I have two suggestions. Seriously crack the bible a "bit" more than you have. And secondly, when it comes to representing God or absolute truth, leave the fictional fairy tale stuff alone, it's good for artists not Christian theology.

Hmmm
Lets see, if it's 82years MTBF, then if I was to become a lunar man today, that would mean that I might live to become (41 times 27) 1107 years old! What a deal.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
1Way,

There are two types of lunar months, sinodic and siderial. To which are you referring?