The call me Fearless...

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You don't say...
I do say.

How about you? Do you think torture and murder are bad? Do you think evil exists? If you do, how do you define evil?

Non sequiter.
Totally sequiter.

When people speak in general terms, it is usually to obtain the big picture before moving on to the details. If one cannot agree to the big picture when it is obvious, then it is obvious they are trying to obscure some detail.

So, it follows when you say that sweeping generalizations are usually not true, a specific comment about generalizations is proper to follow.

Lon

If you are done talking about me personally, perhaps we can stick stick to the subject?
Why would I be done talking about you? Do you realize what kind of board you joined? We want to know why a person like such, is like such so will poke and prod like any good thoughtful scientist. Or, if you'd rather, as debaters, we'll look for your weaknesses. Or, if you'd rather, as believers we'll look for ways we surmise you've believed the great liar and try to dismantle those half-truths. I don't see any of those as not caring, though perhaps they'll hurt. Ultimately, it is the last point we are most concerned with here.
You'll pretty much have to put up with that, or leave. Some you will not readily see as caring, others you will. You'll do your own personal assessment. Though this is a subject debate forum, you'll find most believers here care, even if we get fed-up with diversion ploys of opponents or whatever.

And who defines our purpose? I say I am the one who defines the purpose and meaning of my life, not some celestial dictator. In that respect you have no case.
I do, until someone with a bigger gun comes along. If there is no God, there is no one to really care what I do to you and it doesn't matter because as soon as you are gone, you won't remember any of it anyway, according to your new and 'happy' worldview, it all works out just like it is supposed to, no atrocities, everything peachy OR you are trying to live by a double-standard that works like crud.

I came to the conclusion that I don't know whether or not god exists, but regardless of that I decided to reject the bible as divinely inspired. That is my opinion to which I have every right to change at my own discretion. Do you have a problem with that?
Yep. You still are under the illusion that you have some kind of 'control.'
God is god and you are not. Why do we say this a lot? Because you 'think' that you are master of your own destiny. Unalienable rights require a Creator to give them. If there was no God, I wouldn't care and would take them from you.

WRONG. The Declaration of Independence was a only a letter to the king of England as a statement of intent, not a legal foundation. I am not diminishing its historical significance, only pointing out the fact that it is not in any way the law of the land and never was. The DoI in no way guarantees freedoms although it does hold philosophical precedence. I find the fact that you, like many others, do not understand this fact to be a failure of the educational system, or perhaps just a failure to think critically. Either way, the fact remains that the DoI did not in any way establish a government, and therefore is not a foundational legally binding document.
You are obtuse. You cannot separate the two. If you want to say it isn't in every lawyers' books of law, ask them. You are being absolutely ridiculous.
Reviewer: Richard Howard Cox cranme@downeast.net
American Consitutionalism rests on four pillars: the Declaration of Independence; the Articles of Confederation; the Northwest Ordinance of 1787; and the Constitution. These fundamental documents, which have the collective title "The Organic Laws of the United States of America", are the first section of THE UNITED STATES CODE, the official text of the statute laws of the federal government. ...

I browsed this thread and suspect are here to soap box and deride Christians. If that is true then you are in for one bumpy ride. You will earn an assortment of not so nice nicknames.--yes they are allowed if they are earned.

This statement:

earns you your first nickname: Toad. I could call your worse things, but I am too polite to do so.

Be as childish as you like. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
..I didn't feel like breaking down your post line by line, but not because I am afraid to do so. ;)
No need to, but there's a fairly wide gulf between that and skipping over all but a thought, then addressing that imperfectly, to be fair. That is, I'm not trying to insult you, I'm trying to see in short order where your foundation is and how it is arrived at.

I concede that it is my personal experience and that other's arrive at different conclusions. Is that what you want to hear?
No, I understand we both know that going in. What I thought I outlined to you a couple of times was a bit different. Not that you went one way and another fellow went another way, but that the larger part of humanity differs with you and that many a mind as keen or perhaps keener (not knowing your particulars) have read what you read and not been led to your conclusions.

Can you see the difference in that?

As far as being open to the notion of god's existence, I am in fact.
Yet you're still doing the small g bit with a proper noun. Having your particular attention drawn to it you will understand if I consider the very real possibility of a degree of emotional clouding on your part.

I even hope that such a being would in fact exist and have the qualities of love, mercy, and justice in mind to administer. The problem is I don't see any evidence for that, no proof.
There's a great deal of evidence, from logical argument to the witness of countless people over ages.

So there is evidence. I'm not saying you're obligated to be compelled by it, but your negation doesn't reflect even that...as to proof, that's an empirical trap that doesn't play out well. Or, what standard, if met, would objectively settle the question? I've never met anyone who could actually answer that and I'd suggest the reason is that the empirical cannot resolve the question. Only the subjective experience of God will ever convince a man, only relation will satisfy on the point.

All is mere conjecture based upon a hope, and this a truth does not make.
And that was conjecture without hope and no more a truth for it, though I'd say my own faith isn't merely an intellectual projection of hope, not that there's anything wrong with that and that not all faith begins or ends as you have it there.

As far as capitalization of god, I see no reason to do so unless the word begins a sentence.
The same reason you wouldn't write allen or president obama inside the confines of a sentence. It's the structure of grammar and arbitrarily diverging from it isn't rational. When a person avoids it without a compelling reason and exclusively it makes a statement or invites the inference of one.

There is no shortage of focus being placed upon the rosy colored perceptions of religion by the religious.
See, you did it again. I didn't say rosy. You can recite the inarguable good as readily, but you went to a splintered bit of Islam that is rejected by the majority of its over a billion adherents. I think that's worth wondering about. As I said, I'm simply giving you and your methodology a serious consideration. I'm mostly in the wondering part of the process at present. Wondering isn't condemning or deciding.

As far as your ref to secular leaders, etc, I don't recall exactly what you said, but don't find it particularly relevant to a theological discussion.
It's made relevant by your focus in criticism and I gave you the linkage. Mao, Pol Pot, Stalin all killed millions without involving God or the notion of God except as a notion at odds with their state. My point being then and now that some men will always use ideas as a means to empower themselves and at the expense of others.

Perhaps you don't, but that is what popular Christian culture teaches.
I don't believe that's the case entire. Certainly hell, when referenced, is noted as a place of great suffering. We can discuss that at some point if you like.

We are all sinners destined for hell, and we deserve it cause god says so, and that's why we need a savior.
See, there both the small g and the "cause" runs with a juvenile tilt, as does how you choose to describe the problem of reconciliation of men and God on the whole. That would be another reason to wonder about the possibility of an emotional component/disappointment/hostility being in play. It's not a serious statement so why make it?

God is perfect. Man is willfully imperfect. Grace is necessary because God is not simply loving, He is also just. Where His justice meets His love is where and why you find grace.

Are you saying this is not what you have been taught, and teach to your children?
I was reared in the Episcopal tradition. It's not exactly a traditional Protestant mindset and even in that I was an atheist, a state I remained in comfortably into my second year of law school.

Why debate it? I have my reasons.
And those are what my questions and observations are aimed at defining and encompassing.

For one thing, I love to debate the points and discuss things. Conversation is a pass time I enjoy, and for me that is reason enough. Why theology? It's an interest, and certainly not my only one. I actually debate on several forums on a variety of topics.
Interesting, though I think incomplete.

I see you're having a number of conversations. Take whatever time you need to comfortably get back to this one. I tend to read and answer rather quickly, but I don't mind waiting if it makes it easier for you and raises the likelihood of a thorough conversation.

:e4e:

Lon

I see you're having a number of conversations. Take whatever time you need to comfortably get back to this one. I tend to read and answer rather quickly, but I don't mind waiting if it makes it easier for you and raises the likelihood of a thorough conversation.

Okay, for waiting, but when such is addressed, especially this:

See, there both the small g and the "cause" runs with a juvenile tilt, as does how you choose to describe the problem of reconciliation of men and God on the whole. That would be another reason to wonder about the possibility of an emotional component/disappointment/hostility being in play. It's not a serious statement so why make it?

God is perfect. Man is willfully imperfect. Grace is necessary because God is not simply loving, He is also just. Where His justice meets His love is where and why you find grace.
Fearless, You'll see the same sentiments here, from me as well, but TH said it better in this case because he is gentlemanly if also direct. Such may prove easier to respond to in the long and short run, such that I'd say "ignore mine and get to his."

As TH has already said he is a lawyer: Ask him how much the Declaration of Independence has played in his law studies. I cannot see the document not being a part of his law curriculum.

No need to, but there's a fairly wide gulf between that and skipping over all but a thought, then addressing that imperfectly, to be fair. That is, I'm not trying to insult you, I'm trying to see in short order where your foundation is and how it is arrived at.

Quite alright; I'm not insulted. As far as where my foundation is and how I arrived here, I am agnostic with respect to whether or not god exists and can be proven to exist. As I have said, I would rather hope that god does exist, and there is something more after this life.

What I have found, though, is that claims to knowledge of god's existence such as holy texts have a predisposition to cause harm to other human beings in one way or another, and this is of course not exclusive to Christianity. Abrahmic faiths in particular call for harm to be done to other people in their texts themselves, and I have reasonable and legitimate objection to that. In that respect I reject religious texts as a basis for belief in god or knowledge of god's actual character.

No, I understand we both know that going in. What I thought I outlined to you a couple of times was a bit different. Not that you went one way and another fellow went another way, but that the larger part of humanity differs with you and that many a mind as keen or perhaps keener (not knowing your particulars) have read what you read and not been led to your conclusions.

The majority of humanity was indoctrinated to believe a certain way. That does not mean those beliefs are true, rationale, or justified. Not only that, but religion earned itself a place of unwarranted respect throughout the world at the point of sword and threats of pain and death for failure to conform. I would imagine, and justifiably so, that most of the people here were raised to be Christians, and in the same respect if chance had played differently and they'd been born in the middle east, they would be Muslims. In any event my conclusions are based upon observations, research, and logic.

Yet you're still doing the small g bit with a proper noun. Having your particular attention drawn to it you will understand if I consider the very real possibility of a degree of emotional clouding on your part.

Your objection is noted, but god being a proper noun is just your opinion. It is no measure of disrespect on my part to disagree with that assessment. Once again, I simply see no reason to capitalize god unless it begins a sentence.

There's a great deal of evidence, from logical argument to the witness of countless people over ages.

Logical arguments for the existence of god tend to engage in fallacious logic of on sort or another I find. As for the witness of countless people, there are witnesses of countless people for every religion, not just Christianity. The witness of Muslims is no more and no less compelling than that of Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, or for the existence of the cyclops from Odysseus.

So there is evidence.

Which tends to be anecdotal at best, and more proves that people can convince themselves to believe anything more than it proves that god exists.

I'm not saying you're obligated to be compelled by it, but your negation doesn't reflect even that...as to proof, that's an empirical trap that doesn't play out well. Or, what standard, if met, would objectively settle the question? I've never met anyone who could actually answer that and I'd suggest the reason is that the empirical cannot resolve the question. Only the subjective experience of God will ever convince a man, only relation will satisfy on the point.

I'll agree with this, but point out that subjective experience and relationship with god is more an engagement in confirmation bias.

And that was conjecture without hope and no more a truth for it, though I'd say my own faith isn't merely an intellectual projection of hope, not that there's anything wrong with that and that not all faith begins or ends as you have it there.

I think it mostly true. One of the big appeals of religion is answer to the unanswerable, and comfort from fear. People naturally fear death, and religion offers a hope to assuage that fear. This certainly isn't the only appeal, but it is a major one.

The same reason you wouldn't write allen or president obama inside the confines of a sentence. It's the structure of grammar and arbitrarily diverging from it isn't rational. When a person avoids it without a compelling reason and exclusively it makes a statement or invites the inference of one.

God is just a noun. A poorly defined one. Whether or not it is rational to capitalize god or not is purely opinion, and we differ in it. What you infer from my opinion that it isn't necessary to capitalize does not matter to me.

See, you did it again. I didn't say rosy. You can recite the inarguable good as readily, but you went to a splintered bit of Islam that is rejected by the majority of its over a billion adherents. I think that's worth wondering about. As I said, I'm simply giving you and your methodology a serious consideration. I'm mostly in the wondering part of the process at present. Wondering isn't condemning or deciding.

Faith is for some reason seen unjustifiably as necessarily virtuous. I do not agree with this in the same way I do not agree that being gullible is virtuous. Believing in something without evidence to its truthfulness is the cause of a lot of negative attitudes and behaviors; this is a demonstrable fact.

It's made relevant by your focus in criticism and I gave you the linkage. Mao, Pol Pot, Stalin all killed millions without involving God or the notion of God except as a notion at odds with their state. My point being then and now that some men will always use ideas as a means to empower themselves and at the expense of others.

And nowhere more so than in the case of those that empower and/or enrich themselves at the expense of others than in the name of god. While it is true that there are other philosophical underpinnings for doing so, these are generally rare, while doing so with "god on your side" is the rule, not the exception.

I don't believe that's the case entire. Certainly hell, when referenced, is noted as a place of great suffering. We can discuss that at some point if you like.

Anytime.

It's an honest assessment of what Christendom teaches. You painting it as an emotional or juvenile attack doesn't detract from the veracity of the claim, and is entirely unfounded.

God is perfect.

If this were true, in his omnipotence god would have demonstrated his truth, morality and character in a much more efficient manner, and the holy texts of the major faiths would not be fraught with so much contradiction, ambiguity, and calls for violence. I disagree; god as described in the bible is far from perfect.

Man is willfully imperfect.

Again I disagree. Man is imperfect, I will concede, but not necessarily willfully. If anything, observation of human behavior demonstrates that people strive to be the best in many respect, though not always and not everyone.

Grace is necessary because God is not simply loving, He is also just.

Again I disagree. It was not just of god to punish the children for the crimes of parents to the third and fourth generations. This is not justice at all.

I rather enjoy talking to you. We may not agree, but you at least are a reasonable adult about things.

I cannot see the document not being a part of his law curriculum.

It being part of the curriculum and history is one thing, but it is not a part of the law. The DoI is not law, it is a letter of intent. Again, I do not diminish the historical or philosophical significance by saying this, only as a matter of fact that the DoI is NOT a document of foundational law like the Constitution and Bill of Rights are.

If there is no God, there is no one to really care what I do to you and it doesn't matter

Wrong. First of all, god is absentee in intervening on my behalf on the outset, so whether he exists or not in reality he is not available to intervene. Secondly, there are many people who actually exist that would be concerned about what you or anyone else does to other people.

Yep. You still are under the illusion that you have some kind of 'control.'

I certainly do enjoy a modicum of control over what I think and what happens to me. To assert otherwise is ludicrous.

God is god and you are not. Why do we say this a lot? Because you 'think' that you are master of your own destiny.

Within the confines of the probabilities that govern what happens, I am master of my own destiny. I acquiesce that I do not have absolute control, but that is beside the point.

Unalienable rights require a Creator to give them. If there was no God, I wouldn't care and would take them from you.

You don't see the contradiction in those statements, do you??? First of all, unalienable rights do NOT require a creator other than the philosophical mind of a human being to think, "Gee... we are all human and deserve certain things equally." Not only that, but I will reposit my objection that I already gave that you seem to have ignored.

Assuming for a moment that their assertion about the endowment by the creator of certain inalienable rights, then would that not mean that we would have enjoyed these rights all along and not had to struggle throughout history against god, the government, and the crown to secure them? I would say that if god does exist, and did in fact endow us with inalienable rights, then the entire declaration itself would have been rendered unnecessary, but reality belies this with historical precedence.

Rights have been endowed by us to each other and as our moral values have evolved we have extended that "god given" equality to more and more people. I'd argue that we endowed ourselves, and the particular religious opinions of our founders are rather irrelevant to the facts of history as it played out.

So when you say:

If there was no God, I wouldn't care and would take them from you.

You make my case for me. If god existed, then people never would have been able to deny other's their rights to begin with, and only through struggle have people who were denied gain their equality.

You are obtuse. You cannot separate the two. If you want to say it isn't in every lawyers' books of law, ask them. You are being absolutely ridiculous.

If by pointing out the facts I am being ridiculous, then so be it. It remains the fact that the DoI is not the law and at best is a philosophical underpinning upon which the law is based. It remains fact that the foundation of law rests not on the DoI, but on the Constitution and Bill of Rights that make NO MENTION of god or creator, which is as it should be.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Quite alright; I'm not insulted.
Excellent. As to the rest of that omitted, each of us have more to our stories than we think about once we've had enough time to begin to compile our own essential dogma, adherent or heathen. I like to see how much of that underbelly I can find and how it might inform the rest.

What I have found, though, is that claims to knowledge of [God's] existence such as holy texts have a predisposition to cause harm to other human beings in one way or another, and this is of course not exclusive to Christianity.
I think that's no more objectively true than what could be said about any secular doctrine. That was a bit of my point of distinguishing between what some do with power, the flag they wrap that in, and what the rank and file adherent receives from and does with his faith.

On the OT point, I'll touch on it answering your more (if to my mind insufficiently) particular point.

...The majority of humanity was indoctrinated to believe a certain way.
And how does that differ with any set of values or beliefs from your end of it? You didn't originate a humanist, godless doctrine. Sure, an idea begins in one place and is popularly dispersed and valued (or not) over time. Okay. That's how it's done. The why of that is the real question.

That does not mean those beliefs are true, rationale, or justified.
No, of course not. The arguments themselves and the experience does or fails to do that, respectively--though I'd say their survival over centuries speaks to something serious being involved and worth consideration.

Not only that, but religion earned itself a place of unwarranted respect throughout the world at the point of sword and threats of pain and death for failure to conform.
Unwanted by whom? Unwarranted by what standard? And that those ideas have survived and prospered well without anything like that sort of coercion speaks to something else worth seriously considering.

I would imagine, and justifiably so, that most of the people here were raised to be Christians...
I think there's truth in that. We tend to see things through the lens we have and understand. Interview witnesses to any real event and you'll get varying narrations, conflicting even, depending on where they stand in relation. And yet there is a central truth. Moreover, within that central truth there is an actual and literal one. The job is to figure which account, if any, contains what part of it.

In any event my conclusions are based upon observations, research, and logic.
I think that's true of most people who engage the subject, but we're all hamstrung by something. Still, it's a worthy mission statement.

Your objection is noted, but [God] being a proper noun is just your opinion.
Well, no, it isn't. You can speak of some (inferring the general) god or gods, but when you say God it's referencing a specific entity, real or not. So you can speak of the Roman god Mars or one god among many gods, or just a god as concept, but when you say, "We'll make it, God willing," you go from the general to a specific naming for a concept/being that stands alone. The reality is of no moment to the point. You aren't paying homage by following the rule. But you're going to do something in a bit that tells me however you've rationalized it, this is just a bad habit born of antipathy. I'll remind you when we get there.

...Logical arguments for the existence of god tend to engage in fallacious logic of on sort or another I find.
You'd have to give me the example. Not all arguments of any sort are equal. And the existence of a number of poor arguments is undone by a single good one, so even given a tendency that I don't credit it wouldn't matter overly much. If every kid in class but one fails to properly add one plus one math remains untarnished.

As for the witness of countless people, there are witnesses of countless people for every religion, not just Christianity
Right. I didn't narrow it. Most of humanity over the course of its existence has given witness to a belief in the experience and reality of God. That's a powerful theistic foundation to begin with.

The witness of Muslims is no more and no less compelling than that of Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, or for the existence of the cyclops from Odysseus.
I don't think that's true and no one who follows any of those would either. :D The real question is whether anyone is right or not. Not all witness is equal or courts would be tied up forever. Also tying in what isn't actually witnessed or even offered as that into the mix doesn't help you in terms of advancing your part as an objective examination. Just so, Lovecraft isn't gospel.

Which tends to be anecdotal at best, and more proves that people can convince themselves to believe anything more than it proves that [God] exists.
Objectively, all you can do is note the tendency. Are men trying to convince themselves or are they recognizing something true through their various lenses is the question raised where you, looking through your lens, only see an answer.

I'll agree with this, but point out that subjective experience and relationship with god is more an engagement in confirmation bias.
All we can say is that it is or it isn't, that certainly we are all influenced by metamethodological predispositions, but not from whence those arrive.

...One of the big appeals of religion is answer to the unanswerable, and comfort from fear. People naturally fear death, and religion offers a hope to assuage that fear. This certainly isn't the only appeal, but it is a major one.
I don't think most people walk around thinking about death. I'd agree that it's a comfort when one does, but I suspect the strength of religion is found in the living of life, in the context it offers. For me it's that and relation. We are, when viewed historically, creatures of value and meaning, of purpose. We seek and argue over it endlessly. Couple that seeming nature with a survival impulse and belief would seem to be the thing we're born for and that context made to make us happiest.

Then the question becomes why that is. The faithful have one answer, those without, another.

...Faith is for some reason seen unjustifiably as necessarily virtuous.
It's unavoidable. You're a creature of faith as well. Who determines your unjustifiably or even virtue and how?

...Believing in something without evidence to its truthfulness is the cause of a lot of negative attitudes and behaviors; this is a demonstrable fact.
I don't believe it is. I think it's an assumption made to look like one. That is, there is inarguably evidence and people/adherents are satisfied by what satisfies on the point, there being no empirical standard to advance and meet that can manage it.

And nowhere more so than in the case of those that empower and/or enrich themselves at the expense of others than in the name of [God]. While it is true that there are other philosophical underpinnings for doing so, these are generally rare, while doing so with "[God] on your side" is the rule, not the exception.
I think that's unsupportable. You could roll the whole of religious motivated slaughter into the shadow of what the three gentlemen I noted gave us from their godless context.

Regarding a discussion of hell.
At your service, though it would probably be better off as a thread than another link in this particular chain, don't you think?

It's an honest assessment of what Christendom teaches. You painting it as an emotional or juvenile attack doesn't detract from the veracity of the claim, and is entirely unfounded.
It's not unfounded at all. Let's literally look at your characterization.

We are all sinners destined for hell,
A solid beginning and true from a doctrinal point, but here's where you take it off the rails and merit my criticism:

and we deserve it cause god says so,
That's sophomoric both in grammar and substance. It explains nothing, only paints God as a vaguely parental tyrant. The old "Because I said so" doesn't begin to meet what we are actually told about sin and consequence, about reconciliation and grace and you either know it or have no business speaking to it. In either case your treatment warranted the response.

Regarding God's perfection.
If this were true, in his omnipotence [God] would have demonstrated his truth, morality and character in a much more efficient manner, and the holy texts of the major faiths would not be fraught with so much contradiction, ambiguity, and calls for violence.
That's problematic as a criticism. What I mean is this, either there is or isn't a perfect being. God. If the proposition is true then you aren't in a position to judge what His means would or wouldn't be over time. It's illogical to attempt to do so.

Also, I'm not actually arguing for every text, for the Koran or the Vedas/Upanishads, Book of Mormon and so on, though I've read all or some of each. I believe, as Lewis and Tolkien, in the true Christian myth reflected in them.

...[God] as described in the bible is far from perfect.
See, the Bible is also a proper noun. And that settles the one point for me, whether you realize what's going on or it's a subconscious bubbling up I don't know. And God is actually described sufficiently to imply perfection. We'll touch on it as we go along I think. AMR (an accomplished theologian around these parts) did a fine job of that. I may refer you to it when I have time to bump his elbow. I think it would be helpful.

...Man is imperfect, I will concede, but not necessarily willfully.
In his moral actions? Absolutely. We do things on a daily basis that we understand are wrong. We speed, breaking the law, we may lust or curse or hate, envy, entertain notions that if acted upon would be inarguably wrong or even illegal. And it may be our imperfection that gives rise to this, but the same mechanism by which we resist sin in the one moment is established in every moment, so our separation from the good and Holy is willful and our judgment just, to put it succinctly.

If anything, observation of human behavior demonstrates that people strive to be the best in many respect, though not always and not everyone.
I don't think observation sustains it or we'd have a remarkably different world...I think most of us want to live in peace and would like to be our best selves as an idea, work toward self improvement. But I don't see that as the same thing. Life is a good piece of exercise equipment covered in clothes. I think that's a more accurate assessment of what we idealize and what we tend to do.

...It was not just of [God] to punish the children for the crimes of parents to the third and fourth generations. This is not justice at all.
Now you're snipping out of a larger context. The same OT (do atheists even realize there's a NT? :D) also contains:

The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin. Deuteronomy 24:16​

Part of the problem is that you aren't, even within the OT context, actually considering the fuller text.

'You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. 'You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.​

What we're talking about is those generations who have followed their fathers into a rejection of God. And in the next breath it distinguishes between those who continue in that and how God is to those who love Him. Your problem was too narrow a contextual consideration.

I rather enjoy talking to you. We may not agree, but you at least are a reasonable adult about things.
Thank you. I'm enjoying our conversation and I don't see any reason to be anything else about it. I don't care much for people who drag the Holy into the dirt on either side of the question.

:cheers:

Lon

It being part of the curriculum and history is one thing, but it is not a part of the law. The DoI is not law, it is a letter of intent. Again, I do not diminish the historical or philosophical significance by saying this, only as a matter of fact that the DoI is NOT a document of foundational law like the Constitution and Bill of Rights are.
You are cracking me up. No right to the pursuit of happiness for you then. :chuckle: I'll work on putting all you atheists in chains I suppose too, since that isn't covered by our laws :rotfl: And when I take your life, there will be no 'law' against that either? You are busting me up! :rotfl:

I'm sure you have some paper thin bone to pick but being inept, you don't know how to actually make the cogent point. Too bad, if you could be exacting, we'd probably agree but it humored me that you went off on this tangent so I humored you also when I found your point untenable.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If this were true, in his omnipotence god would have demonstrated his truth, morality and character in a much more efficient manner, and the holy texts of the major faiths would not be fraught with so much contradiction, ambiguity, and calls for violence. I disagree; god as described in the bible is far from perfect.
And thus we begin to see the nature of God which you defend. You might rest on scripture to claim God is omnipotent, but it would more likely simply what you are told about the bible instead of the big picture it presents.

Again I disagree. It was not just of god to punish the children for the crimes of parents to the third and fourth generations. This is not justice at all.
You say "It was not just of god" as if not being just is a bad thing. Does evil exist? How do you define it?

I think that's no more objectively true than what could be said about any secular doctrine. That was a bit of my point of distinguishing between what some do with power, the flag they wrap that in, and what the rank and file adherent receives from and does with his faith.

The best example of secular doctrine I can point to is the Constitution and Bill of Rights, and nowhere in them does it order the deaths of anyone, and from what I understand of history it has never been used to justify such actions. Not so with the bible, is it? You may think it not objectively true that the bible's words are used to justify the killing of otherwise innocent people, but that would be your own bias coloring your perception I think. History paints a far different picture up to this very day.

And how does that differ with any set of values or beliefs from your end of it? You didn't originate a humanist, godless doctrine. Sure, an idea begins in one place and is popularly dispersed and valued (or not) over time. Okay. That's how it's done. The why of that is the real question.

I think there is a big difference between educating and socializing a person, and indoctrinating them. We place our young in school for them to be taught the facts of history, science, math, etc, and allow time for them to learn to socialize with other people while teaching them the finer points of how to get along with others. In the mean time, we drill the bible into their heads with much repetition and reinforce biblical notions in bible studies and sermons regularly as a regimen of indoctrination such that they believe without question what they have been told at least up until the point where they may have some doubts.

In any event, it is by no small amount of personal struggle that the bonds and shackles of indoctrinated ideas are severed, and the mind can be freed to question and engage in the critical inquiry of one's own beliefs.

No, of course not. The arguments themselves and the experience does or fails to do that, respectively--though I'd say their survival over centuries speaks to something serious being involved and worth consideration.

I would say that something is in fact their own violent history and how those faiths became forced and foisted upon the vulnerable minds of the young. Their survival over the centuries says nothing to the veracity or truthfulness of their dogma, the existence or non-existence of god aside.

Unwanted by whom? Unwarranted by what standard? And that those ideas have survived and prospered well without anything like that sort of coercion speaks to something else worth seriously considering.

The native Americans I would argue certainly did not want or need Christianity forced upon them. And as I have said, given that religion earned its place of respect by force and threat, that respect is in fact unwarranted and unearned. If the ideas they represent are worthy they will stand or fall on their own merit. The survival of the ideas themselves are a product of indoctrinating young, vulnerable minds that not only often never break free from them, but become endorsed by them through the indoctrination of succeeding generations. There is of course also the communal self-confirmation of religiously biased preconceptions that occurs every week that serves to reinforce the notions themselves, and that community, including family, can be very difficult to separate from leading many who may have doubts to feign devotion if only to maintain the social order.

I think there's truth in that. We tend to see things through the lens we have and understand. Interview witnesses to any real event and you'll get varying narrations, conflicting even, depending on where they stand in relation. And yet there is a central truth. Moreover, within that central truth there is an actual and literal one. The job is to figure which account, if any, contains what part of it.

Perhaps you have not considered it, but it is possible that the only central truth of religion is that powerful people needed a method to control the thoughts and behaviors of large groups of uneducated masses.

Well, no, it isn't. You can speak of some (inferring the general) god or gods, but when you say God it's referencing a specific entity, real or not. So you can speak of the Roman god Mars or one god among many gods, or just a god as concept, but when you say, "We'll make it, God willing," you go from the general to a specific naming for a concept/being that stands alone.

Well, yes, it is. God is just a noun to me with no place of special respect or even a specific, objective definition. Now if I type Jehovah, you will note I capitalize, but god need no such grammatical consideration since it is for me a purely generic term. Feel free to disagree, but that won't compel me to do something I see as unnecessary.

You'd have to give me the example. Not all arguments of any sort are equal. And the existence of a number of poor arguments is undone by a single good one, so even given a tendency that I don't credit it wouldn't matter overly much. If every kid in class but one fails to properly add one plus one math remains untarnished.

One of the predominant fallacies is appeal to ignorance. We don't know or can't explain x, therefor it must be god. There are plenty of other arguments that engage in other fallacies that I have seen, but this is the most common one.

Right. I didn't narrow it. Most of humanity over the course of its existence has given witness to a belief in the experience and reality of God. That's a powerful theistic foundation to begin with.

And it is more a testimony to our own ignorance than it is a proof that a god or gods in fact exist.

I don't think that's true and no one who follows any of those would either. :D The real question is whether anyone is right or not. Not all witness is equal or courts would be tied up forever. Also tying in what isn't actually witnessed or even offered as that into the mix doesn't help you in terms of advancing your part as an objective examination. Just so, Lovecraft isn't gospel.

Objectively, all you can do is note the tendency. Are men trying to convince themselves or are they recognizing something true through their various lenses is the question raised where you, looking through your lens, only see an answer.

Your assessment is incorrect. I am not the one claiming any special knowledge here, and I have no answer other than that I do not know for certain one way or the other. I will concede that it is possible at least that throughout our history we have observed nature and attributed the order and majesty we see to some supernatural intelligence, and that that intelligence might exist, however given the context of the scientific advances to our knowledge I think it at least equally, if not more probable that all of this is the result of impersonal natural forces without need for or influence of a supernatural, metaphysical intellect and force.

I don't think most people walk around thinking about death. I'd agree that it's a comfort when one does, but I suspect the strength of religion is found in the living of life, in the context it offers. For me it's that and relation. We are, when viewed historically, creatures of value and meaning, of purpose. We seek and argue over it endlessly. Couple that seeming nature with a survival impulse and belief would seem to be the thing we're born for and that context made to make us happiest.

An entirely subjective, anecdotal supposition that certainly does not remain true for everyone, especially people who are persecuted in the name of the beliefs of others.

Then the question becomes why that is. The faithful have one answer, those without, another.

Yet these answers are NOT all created equal by any means. Absent evidence to justify belief, the answers faith offers are by no means reliable and trustworthy. On the other hand, where evidence to support and justify belief can be established, independently verified, and repeatably substantiated, the answers offered become not only trustworthy, but undeniable to anyone who gives them honest assessment.

It's unavoidable. You're a creature of faith as well.

No, I'm not. Not anymore at least.

Who determines your unjustifiably or even virtue and how?

The veracity of what I believe is demonstrated by whatever facts and supporting evidence and logic I use, and for me I think my beliefs justified in my own mind, but beyond that it is not up to me whether or not people who exposed to my thoughts will believe them. As far as virtue is concerned, I suppose that is a subjective matter also.

I don't believe it is. I think it's an assumption made to look like one. That is, there is inarguably evidence and people/adherents are satisfied by what satisfies on the point, there being no empirical standard to advance and meet that can manage it.

I think that's unsupportable. You could roll the whole of religious motivated slaughter into the shadow of what the three gentlemen I noted gave us from their godless context.

Slaughter in the name of religion is not supportable? What planet are you from again?

And in the vein of those men, they did not kill in the name of atheism. They had their own philosophical agenda based upon politics, and their crimes were for that end, not godlessness.

It's not unfounded at all. Let's literally look at your characterization.

A solid beginning and true from a doctrinal point, but here's where you take it off the rails and merit my criticism:

That's sophomoric both in grammar and substance. It explains nothing, only paints God as a vaguely parental tyrant. The old "Because I said so" doesn't begin to meet what we are actually told about sin and consequence, about reconciliation and grace and you either know it or have no business speaking to it. In either case your treatment warranted the response.

Your emotional reaction aside, it remains the point that Christendom teaches these things; this you yourself do not even deny. To then rationalize away these imperfections of dogma with claims of grace and reconciliation is a pale argument that does not even begin to erase the atrocities done in the name of god throughout history.

Regarding God's perfection.

That's problematic as a criticism. What I mean is this, either there is or isn't a perfect being. God. If the proposition is true then you aren't in a position to judge what His means would or wouldn't be over time. It's illogical to attempt to do so.

I could say the same for your argument for his perfection. It is equally illogical (if at all) to argue god's imperfection as it is to argue his perfection. In both cases we are not in a position to judge god and his means as in fact we have no real world knowledge of god other than the claims of other people, or our own colored perceptions. In any event, what is good for the gander is good for the goose.

Also, I'm not actually arguing for every text, for the Koran or the Vedas/Upanishads, Book of Mormon and so on, though I've read all or some of each. I believe, as Lewis and Tolkien, in the true Christian myth reflected in them.

At least you call it for what it is: MYTH.

See, the Bible is also a proper noun. And that settles the one point for me, whether you realize what's going on or it's a subconscious bubbling up I don't know.

In this particular instance it was an oversight on my part, a typo. I usually capitalize Bible when I type it. You are incorrect in your assessment of my motives and frankly you are not qualified to psychoanalyze me.

And God is actually described sufficiently to imply perfection.

And where is this? Because if you say the bible, I have to differ vehemently. The god of the bible, including the entire Jesus narrative subtext, paints god as an arbitrary, capricious bastard who is as far removed from perfection as any human being can be.

Now you're snipping out of a larger context. The same OT (do atheists even realize there's a NT? :D) also contains:

The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin. Deuteronomy 24:16​

Part of the problem is that you aren't, even within the OT context, actually considering the fuller text.

Of course we realize there is an NT, and even concede that there are some decent moral lessons to be gleaned from it, but even then there are parts of the NT that only serve to support the notion that the bible is not a rationale basis upon which to build a world view.

Beyond that pointing out the contradictions in the bible does not help your case.

What we're talking about is those generations who have followed their fathers into a rejection of God. And in the next breath it distinguishes between those who continue in that and how God is to those who love Him. Your problem was too narrow a contextual consideration.

It remains that in my view not only does god engage in unjust judgement, but has no moral authority to do so from a biblical standpoint. Divorced entirely from the bible narrative and its god character, the supreme being may be entirely different than what we popularly conceive if it in fact exists, and is entirely misunderstood by the religious and non-religious alike. That being the case, perhaps it does have some basis for justice unlike that of the bible's god and in that respect I will concede, but I can say with certainty that the bible's god, being an arbitrary, capricious, malevolent character, will never attain in my view the moral authority to judge anyone.

Thank you. I'm enjoying our conversation and I don't see any reason to be anything else about it. I don't care much for people who drag the Holy into the dirt on either side of the question.

:cheers:

Until next time. ;)

You are cracking me up. No right to the pursuit of happiness for you then. :chuckle: I'll work on putting all you atheists in chains I suppose too, since that isn't covered by our laws :rotfl: And when I take your life, there will be no 'law' against that either? You are busting me up! :rotfl:

I'm sure you have some paper thin bone to pick but being inept, you don't know how to actually make the cogent point. Too bad, if you could be exacting, we'd probably agree but it humored me that you went off on this tangent so I humored you also when I found your point untenable.

Your supreme ignorance and arrogance is palpable.

And you failed completely to rebut my irrefutable fact: THE DoI is not LAW.

Good day.

And thus we begin to see the nature of God which you defend.

WRONG. I do not defend any god or its nature in any way. I do not know if god exists or not with any degree of certainty. What I do, however, is reject the biblical god on rationale, logical grounds.

You say "It was not just of god" as if not being just is a bad thing. Does evil exist? How do you define it?

Not being just is a bad thing. If you don't see why that is YOUR moral FAILURE, and says nothing about my argument.

Sure it does. In many forms and in many ways. For example, not knowing why being unjust is wrong IS EVIL.

I rest my case.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
WRONG. I do not defend any god or its nature in any way.
No need to get emotional on account of the statement I made. I'm just discussing this topic civilly and rationally. As you stated, you seem to think the God of the bible is omnipotent. Do you defend your statement or not?

I do not know if god exists or not with any degree of certainty. What I do, however, is reject the biblical god on rationale, logical grounds.
Can I assume you don't like God (of the bible) for, one of many reasons, ordering the Israelites to kill people? Do you view a battlefield general in the same way?

Not being just is a bad thing. If you don't see why that is YOUR moral FAILURE, and says nothing about my argument.

Sure it does. In many forms and in many ways. For example, not knowing why being unjust is wrong IS EVIL.

I rest my case.
No need to go all caps on me yet. We are still just sorting out definitions and foundations of why we believe what we do. So can I take it your reason for thinking 'not being just' is evil is "because it just is?"

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Sigh. And I had such high hopes.

I need to go spread some rep.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I'll work on putting all you atheists in chains I suppose too, since that isn't covered by our laws :rotfl:

Any chance I could get you to sell me a few as slaves?

I could use me a fool around the house.

And Granite's long overdue for some beatings. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The best example of secular doctrine I can point to is the Constitution and Bill of Rights,
Any idea how many people have died under that authority?

You may think it not objectively true that the [Bible's] words are used to justify the killing of otherwise innocent people, but that would be your own bias coloring your perception I think. History paints a far different picture up to this very day.
Like I said, history shows us that some men use spoons to murder people. But spoons aren't the problem. And your problem is still in evidence. The Bible is a proper noun and you just look petty and slightly irrational when you do that...ah, well.

I think there is a big difference between educating and socializing a person, and indoctrinating them.
Let's ask Webster's. Here's the primary:

INDOCTRINATE

: to instruct especially in fundamentals or rudiments : teach​

We place our young in school for them to be taught the facts of history, science, math, etc, and allow time for them to learn to socialize with other people while teaching them the finer points of how to get along with others.
Right. Social and methodological indoctrination.

I would say that something is in fact their own violent history and how those faiths became forced and foisted upon the vulnerable minds of the young.
You're free to declare anything. I'm trying to have a reasoned conversation with you. So you meet another way of seeing the same thing you already said and you just say it again? :plain: The history of men is violent. You're even missing what should follow from your own point.

If you're right and God isn't then every act you object to in his name was nothing more or less than what I've been telling you about, that men use any idea as a means to power and if you eliminate one notion from the lexicon, along with every good thing attending it as well, you won't have changed anything other than the sound that sort of man uses to signify.

...religion earned its place of respect by force and threat,
You did say that, but it still isn't true. The pursuit of God and meaning and value and purpose beyond the momentary arises in every culture. One religion in the hands of an aggressive culture may suppress and replace another one, but man isn't (contrary to the claims of some) an atheist by nature or we'd never have had religion in the first, let alone every place.

...God is just a noun to me with no place of special respect or even a specific, objective definition.
You might feel the same about the President, but interestingly enough that doesn't impact grammar.

...Feel free to disagree, but that won't compel me to do something I see as unnecessary.
Where it will compel me to understand you differently, to see your position as less reasoned and more emotional. Odd that you give so much weight and control to subjective feeling where it can't control and so little to it where it must.

One of the predominant fallacies is appeal to ignorance. We don't know or can't explain x, therefor it must be god.
I agree that would be a horrible argument. Who made it?

I wrote: Objectively, all you can do is note the tendency. Are men trying to convince themselves or are they recognizing something true through their various lenses is the question raised where you, looking through your lens, only see an answer.

Your assessment is incorrect. I am not the one claiming any special knowledge here, and I have no answer other than that I do not know for certain one way or the other.
Sure you do. The religious are ignorant. You've been anything but ambiguous, however you may want to think of yourself. Your actions/words in relation to differing constructs don't remotely speak to neutrality or even objectivity on the point.

...An entirely subjective, anecdotal supposition that certainly does not remain true for everyone, especially people who are persecuted in the name of the beliefs of others.
It wasn't really anecdotal, though it was an informed speculation. I have a background in, among other things, cultural anthropology. And it is absolutely true that to study man is to study a creature who on the whole pursues meaning, value and purpose. Further, given how poorly a great many adherents to particular religions test out on particular doctrine, I'd say my speculation as to the actual value of religion as being found in the community and in living seems justified.

Yet these answers are NOT all created equal by any means.
Of course not. I think it's fairly obvious that faith in God is an objectively, demonstrably superior posit/context for life, short or eternal.

Absent evidence to justify belief, the answers faith offers are by no means reliable and trustworthy.
You can keep saying that, but it still isn't true. Men don't believe without evidence. And there's no want of it, no lack of rational argument or testable hypothesis.

On the other hand, where evidence to support and justify belief can be established, independently verified, and repeatably substantiated, the answers offered become not only trustworthy, but undeniable to anyone who gives them honest assessment.
You're still trying to sneak in the empirical. And you're still going to have to supply that standard that would make it applicable. Hint: there still isn't one.

No, I'm not. Not anymore at least.
You are, but you believe you aren't. :D

Slaughter in the name of religion is not supportable? What planet are you from again?
One where people read more carefully, I suppose. What I said was that you could roll (combine) the death toll from religious struggle and it would be swallowed by the millions upon millions slaughtered by Stalin and Mao and Pol Pot (the last being a lesser player) in the name of their god/God rejecting states.

And in the vein of those men, they did not kill in the name of atheism.
Sure they did, given their faith was predicated upon a war on religion. They specifically slaughtered and targeted the faithful and their institutions as part of their wider carnage. You need to bone up on that history.

Your emotional reaction aside,
Did you mean to be ironic? You made the play. I've been civil and amiable. You offered a simplistic insult and I wasn't particularly hard on you, set out the why, from the "cause" to the want in the sentence.

To then rationalize away these imperfections of dogma with claims of grace and reconciliation is a pale argument that does not even begin to erase the atrocities done in the name of [God] throughout history.
See, I've been answering your grand gestures with particular corrections. You should try that. I approach it rationally. If you can't handle the argument the next best thing is to call it a name. That's what you just did with the rationalization bit. I've already addressed the historical point.

I could say the same for your argument for his perfection.
Well, no. Not if you understand it.

It is equally illogical (if at all) to argue god's imperfection as it is to argue his perfection.
Not really, but it does get complicated. The easiest answer is to say that the God who fashioned universal law and existence is, to all practical intents and purposes, so far above our understanding as to make the distinctions a bit pointless.

In both cases we are not in a position to judge god and his means as in fact we have no real world knowledge of god other than the claims of other people, or our own colored perceptions.
No, again. That's only true for you. You don't have any experience with God. And if all perception is colored then it's a bit pointless to have the term or note it.

At least you call it for what it is: MYTH.
I don't know what the point of that was supposed to be, but I called it the TRUE (to match the exercise) Christian myth, echoed as truth is often enough, imperfectly. Just so many a scientific or mathematical truth has been imperfectly approached until

In this particular instance it was an oversight on my part, a typo. I usually capitalize Bible when I type it. You are incorrect in your assessment of my motives and frankly you are not qualified to psychoanalyze me.
I'm not psychoanalyzing you. I'm noting that you have already demonstrated an emotional connection to a practice at odds with the rules of grammar. It was reasonable to see this as another example of that, especially since it wasn't a singular event. You're about to do it again, repeatedly. So either you're being dishonest or petulant. A silly business.

And where is this? Because if you say the bible, I have to differ vehemently.
See, you did it again.

The god of the bible,
That was an emotionally satisfying twofer, wasn't it?

including the entire Jesus narrative subtext, paints god as an arbitrary, capricious bastard who is as far removed from perfection as any human being can be.
You'll notice I'm not answering you on points at this point because you just did the final reveal with the thing that followed the capricious description.

You're angry. Your rationality is fish wrap. I was hoping for better.