The call me Fearless...

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And thus we begin to see the nature of God which you defend. You might rest on scripture to claim God is omnipotent, but it would more likely simply what you are told about the bible instead of the big picture it presents.

You say "It was not just of god" as if not being just is a bad thing. Does evil exist? How do you define it?
Precisely. His whole argument is based on a widespread misunderstanding of God that is based more on Greek philosopy rather than the Bible. Calvinism and Arminism are responsible for creating many atheists.

No need to get emotional on account of the statement I made. I'm just discussing this topic civilly and rationally. As you stated, you seem to think the God of the bible is omnipotent. Do you defend your statement or not?

Not emotional, just adding emphasis. Well that depends. Since I have no objective definition of god that I subscribe to, I approach the subject using the definition of those claiming knowledge of god. In this case I would have to ask you the same; do you think god is omnipotent?

Can I assume you don't like God (of the bible) for, one of many reasons, ordering the Israelites to kill people? Do you view a battlefield general in the same way?

I've made my opinions very clear. So clear I received an infraction. In any case, if the battlefield general ordered his troops to wipe out an entire civilian population, including women and children, and included orders to take sex slaves, then yes. I would see that general as equally detestable.

No need to go all caps on me yet.

Some things just merit emphasis.

We are still just sorting out definitions and foundations of why we believe what we do. So can I take it your reason for thinking 'not being just' is evil is "because it just is?"

More accurately, not being just cause unnecessary harm. In that respect, yes, it is evil.

Any idea how many people have died under that authority?

Under the authority of the Constitution? Plenty of Native Americans.

Like I said, history shows us that some men use spoons to murder people. But spoons aren't the problem. And your problem is still in evidence. The Bible is a proper noun and you just look petty and slightly irrational when you do that...ah, well.

An oversight on my part, but hardly a testimony to my sentiments. Why do you feel the need to psychoanalyze anyways? The picture you seem to be trying to paint with water won't materialize.

Let's ask Webster's. Here's the primary:

INDOCTRINATE

: to instruct especially in fundamentals or rudiments : teach​

The second definition is NOT insignificant.

2: to imbue with a usually partisan or sectarian opinion, point of view, or principle

Right. Social and methodological indoctrination.

You're free to declare anything. I'm trying to have a reasoned conversation with you. So you meet another way of seeing the same thing you already said and you just say it again? :plain: The history of men is violent. You're even missing what should follow from your own point.

If you're right and God isn't then every act you object to in his name was nothing more or less than what I've been telling you about, that men use any idea as a means to power and if you eliminate one notion from the lexicon, along with every good thing attending it as well, you won't have changed anything other than the sound that sort of man uses to signify.

I am by no means saying that religion does not have its cheery, lovey, feel good side. I am just of the opinion that one can not honestly evaluate the positive without also addressing the negative. I'm sure there are plenty here who accentuate the positive. I'll leave that to them. I will present the contrary.

You did say that, but it still isn't true. The pursuit of God and meaning and value and purpose beyond the momentary arises in every culture. One religion in the hands of an aggressive culture may suppress and replace another one, but man isn't (contrary to the claims of some) an atheist by nature or we'd never have had religion in the first, let alone every place.

And why wouldn't man be an atheist naturally? Children know nothing of religion or god from birth, and such notions are imbued into them. There may perhaps be some spiritual nature to people, to this I myself can agree, however religious notions are then imbued into them by their parents, culture, etc. I would argue that as children are more or less empty vessels with a natural ignorance of all things religious they are neither necessarily naturally atheist or theist since they neither reject religious claims nor subscribe to them.

Religion, however, is a man made thing, and that it has cropped up all over human history across culture does not in any way attest to its validity.

I agree that would be a horrible argument. Who made it?

It's a very common fallacy among the religious arguing for the existence of god, and in many respects is the reason gods were created by men; to explain things they did not understand.

I wrote: Objectively, all you can do is note the tendency. Are men trying to convince themselves or are they recognizing something true through their various lenses is the question raised where you, looking through your lens, only see an answer.

On the contrary, I do not see an answer. I see the answer being presented, and reject it as illogical, contradictory, and overtly immoral in many respects.

Sure you do.

No, I don't. I am not claiming any special knowledge and nowhere have I even insinuated that...

The religious are ignorant.

Why do you now feel the need to put words into my mouth? I have said no such thing.

You've been anything but ambiguous, however you may want to think of yourself.

Anything but ambiguous about what exactly? I already do think for myself. That is partly the why and the how I became an atheist, and before you even insinuate some subtext, that is not to say that theists do not think for themselves.

Your actions/words in relation to differing constructs don't remotely speak to neutrality or even objectivity on the point.

What point would that be exactly? I don't see where you are making one here except to surreptitiously engage in some ad hominem, and perhaps some straw man.

It wasn't really anecdotal, though it was an informed speculation. I have a background in, among other things, cultural anthropology. And it is absolutely true that to study man is to study a creature who on the whole pursues meaning, value and purpose. Further, given how poorly a great many adherents to particular religions test out on particular doctrine, I'd say my speculation as to the actual value of religion as being found in the community and in living seems justified.

And I will agree with you on this point in some respects. There is value in having religious community and justification in the sense that membership has its benefits, but I'll point out that it also has its unintended consequences, and not necessarily in a positive way.

Of course not. I think it's fairly obvious that faith in God is an objectively, demonstrably superior posit/context for life, short or eternal.

On the surface of popular perception, perhaps, but I have heard some compelling arguments to the contrary and there is no shortage of examples of the harm that religion does and has done.

You can keep saying that, but it still isn't true. Men don't believe without evidence. And there's no want of it, no lack of rational argument or testable hypothesis.

The very definition of faith is belief without evidence, and it is demonstrably true that faith alone is not a reliable path to truth or knowledge. While there is arguable rationale argument, what do you posit as a testable hypothesis? I am aware of several studies on the efficacy of prayer that yielded null results. Beyond some psychological benefit, prayer had no significant effect on outcomes, and the psychological benefits could be equally achieved with meditation without need to invoke the supernatural.

You're still trying to sneak in the empirical. And you're still going to have to supply that standard that would make it applicable. Hint: there still isn't one.

On some counts, no there isn't, but as I stated just previously the empirical does have some say. Some claims of religion are testable, and the tests revealed that the claims are unsubstantiated.

You are, but you believe you aren't. :D

No, I'm not. Not intentionally or wittingly in any event.

One where people read more carefully, I suppose. What I said was that you could roll (combine) the death toll from religious struggle and it would be swallowed by the millions upon millions slaughtered by Stalin and Mao and Pol Pot (the last being a lesser player) in the name of their god/God rejecting states.

I'm not so sure about that without doing the research to substantiate the claim. We'll set that aside for the moment.

Sure they did, given their faith was predicated upon a war on religion. They specifically slaughtered and targeted the faithful and their institutions as part of their wider carnage. You need to bone up on that history.

I'll concede the point for the moment.

Not really, but it does get complicated. The easiest answer is to say that the God who fashioned universal law and existence is, to all practical intents and purposes, so far above our understanding as to make the distinctions a bit pointless.

I wouldn't call that an answer. I'd call it a rationalization.

No, again. That's only true for you. You don't have any experience with God.

On the contrary I was raised in the church and spent the better part of my life as a believer. I have had many experiences I thought were "God speaking to me." Far more than you realize.

You're angry. Your rationality is fish wrap. I was hoping for better.

Not at all. It's just my opinion based upon the context of the Bible. Do I have an emotional reaction to the God of the Bible ordering the deaths of whole towns, including the women and children, and the taking of sex slaves? Sure I do. Don't you? It doesn't make me angry at the God of the Bible, but it does lend me to rejecting his moral authority.

If that rationale seems to be fishwrap to you, and you don't have a guttural revulsion to that practice, then you aren't the only one who would hope for better from your fellow human beings.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not emotional, just adding emphasis. Well that depends. Since I have no objective definition of god that I subscribe to, I approach the subject using the definition of those claiming knowledge of god. In this case I would have to ask you the same; do you think god is omnipotent?
According to the bible, no, God is not omnipotent. Even people have power to thwart His plans.

I've made my opinions very clear. So clear I received an infraction. In any case, if the battlefield general ordered his troops to wipe out an entire civilian population, including women and children, and included orders to take sex slaves, then yes. I would see that general as equally detestable.
Please realize this is the version of God you defend.

Do you know anything about Mars? Or Zeus? Are they just as detestable? Can you list any god's that don't do what you are accusing God of doing?

More accurately, not being just cause unnecessary harm. In that respect, yes, it is evil.
So that is your definition of evil? That which causes unnecessary harm? Are you going to stick with that?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...An oversight on my part, but hardly a testimony to my sentiments. Why do you feel the need to psychoanalyze anyways? The picture you seem to be trying to paint with water won't materialize.
In order, I'm not and the picture that emerges is of your own making. I'm only a curious observer. I have friends here who are atheists. I'm not someone who has a particular drive to see you as you aren't.

The second definition is NOT insignificant.
It is for our purposes given the primary controls absent a contextual cue and the primary is just that. It worked in relation to education. So the point stands.

I'm going to leave off much of our "Oh no/Oh yes" bits to get to a couple of issues that are resolvable here. I think the reader has enough on hand to determine that for themselves. I've made my charges and presented my reasons and you've had a response.

And why wouldn't man be an atheist naturally?
It's counter intuitive. Scale, causality, our survival instinct and, I believe our natures compel us to seek God.

Children know nothing of religion or god from birth, and such notions are imbued into them.
Assumptive speculation.

There may perhaps be some spiritual nature to people, to this I myself can agree, however religious notions are then imbued into them by their parents, culture, etc.
How did they get them?

Religion, however, is a man made thing,
That's the question. Or, men fashion religion and the question of moment is why.

and that it has cropped up all over human history across culture does not in any way attest to its validity.
You mean truth. It's validity isn't in question. But it does indicate something in the human experience that's worth examining.

It's a very common fallacy among the religious arguing for the existence of [God],
I know you believe that to be true. I'm asking for an example of a serious Christian theologian making it, of its position in Christian orthodoxy. I haven't seen it. But I might have missed it. At present this feels like a dressed up stereotype.

...I will agree with you on this point in some respects. There is value in having religious community and justification in the sense that membership has its benefits, but I'll point out that it also has its unintended consequences, and not necessarily in a positive way.
We're communal. We're made for relation. The more you isolate man the more dysfunctional and dangerous he will become.

I wrote: I think it's fairly obvious that faith in God is an objectively, demonstrably superior posit/context for life, short or eternal.
On the surface of popular perception, perhaps,
No, objectively, rationally superior, which is why adherents live longer, happier lives. They give more of their time and material wealth to those in need...Atheists don't even self describe as happily, which makes sense given some of what I've already mentioned. And the wiser atheists understand that and are attempting to cobble a sort of replacement community, though they still can't offer purpose, real value (independent and existent beyond subjective desire) and hope.

but I have heard some compelling arguments to the contrary and there is no shortage of examples of the harm that religion does and has done
They aren't compelling until they're made. They're just someone's big brother. Produce him that I might smite him. :D

The very definition of faith is belief without evidence,
No, it isn't. I don't know why atheists get that wrong all the time. Dawkins, a fine scientist, but low tier theological commentator makes that same mistake.

Not all atheists make that mistake, mind you. Take biochemist Dr. Simon Kolstoe, Centre for Amyloidosis & Acute Phase Proteins, UCL Medical School, London, who wrote to the editors of Philosophy Now:

[Faith] is taking the leap from tentatively believing a theory, to using that theory as a working principle. It is not belief in the absence of logic or evidence; it is a belief based upon ‘good enough’ evidence. Such a definition seems far more useful than the impossible definition of ‘ a belief without evidence’, or the rhetorical use as ‘a belief I do not agree with’.

and it is demonstrably true that faith alone is not a reliable path to truth or knowledge.
Faith doesn't exist in a vacuum, so that's an easy statement.

While there is arguable rationale argument,
You want the list of Christian theologians and philosophers who've written on the point? Or are you being coy?

what do you posit as a testable hypothesis?
Rather, what did Christ? Look to the rich young ruler. What is the prime law of Christianity? And the second which is like it?

I am aware of several studies on the efficacy of prayer that yielded null results.
So am I. Are you familiar with the methodology employed?

On some counts, no there isn't, but as I stated just previously the empirical does have some say. Some claims of religion are testable, and the tests revealed that the claims are unsubstantiated.
The existence of God isn't among them, but certainly there are empirically quantifiable and testable claims made by every religion.

No, I'm not. Not intentionally or wittingly in any event.
You take on faith that you exist, that the world around you is real, that logic is reliable. We are creatures of faith from foundation.

I'm not so sure about that without doing the research to substantiate the claim. We'll set that aside for the moment.
I'm sure, having had this discussion more than a few times. It's a simple matter of population. Google an estimation of how many people Stalin's reign is responsible for murdering. It's staggering on its own. Mao, not unimpressive either. Even Pol managed impressive carnage in his reeducation projects. Together? There weren't enough people organized and available to compare to those millions.

I wouldn't call that an answer. I'd call it a rationalization.
I'd agree it's rational. You can call it Susan and claim it's a fantasy, but until you answer it reasonably I'm disinterested.

On the contrary I was raised in the church and spent the better part of my life as a believer.
I didn't say you didn't attend a church. I didn't say you lacked some idea of God or sentiment. I said you have no experience of God. You can't say that you did without establishing the validity of His existence. So either you didn't or you did and rejected Him. I gave you credit, given much of your writing about being unsure as opposed to readily and willfully embracing evil.

I have had many experiences I thought were "God speaking to me." Far more than you realize.
Then you have a problem. How can you be sure you aren't delusional now?

I wrote that you were angry.
Not at all. It's just my opinion based upon the context of the Bible.
I'm sorry you're that blinkered, but the small g began that information. Your repeated continuance of that isolated rejection of grammar when it came to the Bible, which you claimed as a typing error then smartly repeated it for the duration. :rolleyes: But set those milder things aside, your last description of the Christian God was emotional and of that "cause God said so" timber. Now it would have been an indicator absent the earlier on a street corner having a conversation. But coupled with them and in a place where you understand the larger audience makeup, it's rather impossible to mistake.

Do I have an emotional reaction to the God of the Bible ordering the deaths of whole towns, including the women and children, and the taking of sex slaves? Sure I do. Don't you? It doesn't make me angry at the God of the Bible, but it does lend me to rejecting his moral authority.
That's pride speaking and a want of understanding of the context. In Christian parlance, you approach with a carnal mind. You place your judgement above God and whatever you thought you heard or loved, you obviously reserved the right to judge it.

As for my response, we'll come to it over time, perhaps. But first, let's get to know you. It's the point of the thread, after all.

:e4e:

According to the bible, no, God is not omnipotent. Even people have power to thwart His plans.

Then why call him god?

Please realize this is the version of God you defend.

No, it's the version of god I reject just like I reject all other gods.

Do you know anything about Mars? Or Zeus? Are they just as detestable? Can you list any god's that don't do what you are accusing God of doing?

I'm well versed on the history. They are all imaginary, individual attributes and behaviors is an aside. The respective existence of other gods aside, it is irrelevant to my case against the Bible God, for which I am passing judgement on the text of the Bible itself and the history of religion in practice.

Now you might say, "Well who are you to pass judgement on the Bible as evil?", and I will go ahead and answer this challenge with, "Well who are you to pass judgement on the Bible as good?"

So that is your definition of evil? That which causes unnecessary harm? Are you going to stick with that?

It's a good starting point for an objective definition. Do you have a problem with it?

In order, I'm not and the picture that emerges is of your own making. I'm only a curious observer. I have friends here who are atheists. I'm not someone who has a particular drive to see you as you aren't.

It is for our purposes given the primary controls absent a contextual cue and the primary is just that. It worked in relation to education. So the point stands.

I'm going to leave off much of our "Oh no/Oh yes" bits to get to a couple of issues that are resolvable here. I think the reader has enough on hand to determine that for themselves. I've made my charges and presented my reasons and you've had a response.

It's counter intuitive. Scale, causality, our survival instinct and, I believe our natures compel us to seek God.

Everybody is different, and yearns for different things. I prefer practical knowledge.

Assumptive speculation.

No more and no less a speculative assumption than thinking that our nature compel us to seek god.

How did they get them?

From their culture.

That's the question. Or, men fashion religion and the question of moment is why.

Political agendas are a dime a dozen, and very rarely reflect virtue in primitive cultures with superstitious beliefs.

You mean truth. It's validity isn't in question. But it does indicate something in the human experience that's worth examining.

Perhaps so. Like I said, I don't discount the validity of the spiritual life of people. It has a meaning and purpose unto itself, and fills a psychological need. But this does not to my satisfaction demonstrate why I should subscribe to one religion over another. Having researched and compared several religions, with major consideration given to the TriAxis of Abrahmic Religions, I have concluded they are equally disposable even as they are yet worth studying and understanding while remaining a healthy skepticism.

I know you believe that to be true. I'm asking for an example of a serious Christian theologian making it, of its position in Christian orthodoxy. I haven't seen it. But I might have missed it. At present this feels like a dressed up stereotype.

I've seen the argument made enough times. I suppose you have missed it. Perhaps it is, but I wouldn't be alone in guilt for stereotyping the opposition, would I?

We're communal. We're made for relation. The more you isolate man the more dysfunctional and dangerous he will become.

Some people are more communal than others. I suppose if you are talking about torturing and isolating someone, yes, but there is plenty of examples of people leading isolated lives but are otherwise healthy and productive.

I wrote: I think it's fairly obvious that faith in God is an objectively, demonstrably superior posit/context for life, short or eternal.

No, objectively, rationally superior, which is why adherents live longer, happier lives.

That's a dressed up stereotype too.

They give more of their time and material wealth to those in need...Atheists don't even self describe as happily, which makes sense given some of what I've already mentioned.

I've seen studies that suggest otherwise, and I self describe as happy. Another assertion without evidence dismissed without evidence.

And the wiser atheists understand that and are attempting to cobble a sort of replacement community, though they still can't offer purpose, real value (independent and existent beyond subjective desire) and hope.

More stereotyping that doesn't reflect reality. We've actually got a pretty good community on the internet and I've made many connections with other atheist and had no trouble creating meaningful relationships. Another assertion without evidence dismissed without evidence.

That's pride speaking and a want of understanding of the context. In Christian parlance, you approach with a carnal mind. You place your judgement above God and whatever you thought you heard or loved, you obviously reserved the right to judge it.

We all judge by our own standard, and there is no escaping it. You are entitled to your opinion, and I mine. In the sum of it, we will draw our own unique conclusions, but we each have passed a judgement one way or the other.

As for my response, we'll come to it over time, perhaps. But first, let's get to know you. It's the point of the thread, after all.

I'm a skeptic.
I reject the Moral Authority of the Bible.

I see no evidence to indicate that a god exists, that the God of the Bible exists, that Allah exists, nor any other god claim. I do not find faith in a god or gods particularly useful, but opinion may differ.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...No more and no less a speculative assumption than thinking that our nature compel us to seek god.
Not really. History rather compels us to see the compulsion, across ages, cultures etc. There are scientists arguing for genetic predisposition. Or, not all speculation is created equal.

From the Wall Street Journal, Why Belief in God is Innate: In his 1871 book, "The Descent of Man," Charles Darwin noted that anthropologists conclude that "a belief in all-pervading spiritual agencies seems to be universal; and apparently follows from a considerable advance in the reasoning powers of man, and from a still greater advance in his faculties of imagination, curiosity and wonder."

The article sites a few interesting studies that lead to a reasonable assertion that "your culture may dictate which God to believe in, but the belief in a supernatural agent who operates in the world is universal to all cultures because it is hard-wired in the brain."

Now the real question and one I differ with the writer of this article over, is why.

From their culture.
Men come first. Smaller groups first and any time we see evidence of men, supra. Culture first and foremost is reflective, especially in formative stages and among smaller groups. And guess what we find. Yeah, God.

Perhaps so. Like I said, I don't discount the validity of the spiritual life of people.
I'm happy to hear it.

It has a meaning and purpose unto itself, and fills a psychological need.
Without question. At least in part it satisfies, intellectually, one of our prime directives biologically, to survive. Then it meets our drive for value and our purposeful natures.

But this does not to my satisfaction demonstrate why I should subscribe to one religion over another.
That's a pretty big jump. You should start with the more primal question: should I subscribe to any? I think the answer is yes no matter how we come down on the particulars. Theism is at the very least the superior utility, the better contextual fit for man. That at the outset it isn't arguably more or less true makes it the rational one, given its benefits. That it could well be right is so much icing.

Now before you yell Pascal at me, understand that Pascal was gambling and speaking to the afterlife. I'm not gambling at all and the afterlife is gravy. I'm talking about the present, living benefit, a cost/benefit analysis of personal faith.

Re: the ongoing God of gaps presentation
I've seen the argument made enough times. I suppose you have missed it. Perhaps it is, but I wouldn't be alone in guilt for stereotyping the opposition, would I?
So no particular examples then, no orthodox dogma in any major Christian denomination to point doing that, no Aquinas red faced, as it were. I didn't think so. I've heard it noted too, but usually by anti theists attempting to paint the faithful as knuckle dragging, fear motivated adherents to superstition.

And no, all sorts of stereotyping goes on in any camp. Again, we're pattern seers, which is to say we by nature love to superimpose our sense of order over both the observable and even purely theoretical.

Some people are more communal than others.
The luxury of civilization, to a large extent. We are pack animals. It's in our natures and works to our advantage on every level.

I suppose if you are talking about torturing and isolating someone, yes, but there is plenty of examples of people leading isolated lives but are otherwise healthy and productive.
I don't believe that's mostly true. Even monks live together. Man is not, in his natural and healthy state, isolated from his kind.

Re: faith is a superior context for life.
That's a dressed up stereotype too.
No, it's a short hand version of a number of studies, not without opposition, of course. We could get into them if you like. And it's reasonable for some of the reasons we've spoken to above. Tight knit, caring communities are emotionally and physically, by impact, better for us. Religious communities don't have a secular counterpart. That's why some atheists have been trying to cobble one.

The Religion & Society Research Program, from the old UK, looked at a number or variables including a 2008-2011 study on happiness using economist Richard Lanyard’s seven key indicators of well-being: secure family relationships, income, meaning and relationships in work, community and friendship networks, health, personal freedom, and personal values and philosophy of life.

The study found that religious belief

1) "has been found to be helpful in maintaining marriages, in the wellbeing of children, and in rehabilitating criminals, because of the strong support religious communities can provide."

2) "tend(s) to have a positive effect on mental health and happiness of individuals, groups and societies."

3) "often leads to reducing social and economic inequality, which in turn increases health and life expectancy."

Lanyard concluded: "People who believe in God are happier."

He didn't conclude that makes the belief true.

I've seen studies that suggest otherwise, and I self describe as happy. Another assertion without evidence dismissed without evidence.
It's an interesting thing, but studies in this country, Greeley and Hout (2006, 153) found a distinct advantage where those of faith were concerned and self identified. There are similar studies on health, but you're right that the data is frequently conflicting, with one study after another altering focus and finding.

I was certainly happy as an atheist. I wasn't dissatisfied with my life. But I'm inarguably happier and rationally so, more satisfied with an existence/context that promises more than interesting ways to pass the time before I wink out to no real point. Faith serves our nature and our desires in more than the transient sense, in a way atheism simply can't.

More stereotyping that doesn't reflect reality.
How was that remotely stereotyping? You need to lay off that easy button...There are actually secular elements attempting to cobble a community/alternatives to the sort of communal experience religion offers. That's factual and if you don't believe me Google it. And as I noted, atheism literally can't offer what faith does. It's rationally impossible. It can't promise survival, a larger purpose, meaning in terms of value beyond negotiation or fiat, that sort of thing. Those aren't stereotypical anythings. They're statements of fact. Doesn't prove the foundational question, but it is supportive of the argument from utility and can't be dismissed as you have above.

We've actually got a pretty good community on the internet and I've made many connections with other atheist and had no trouble creating meaningful relationships. Another assertion without evidence dismissed without evidence.
Setting aside the idea that internet communities can meet the need of our natures, no one said that you couldn't create relationships and you're grotesquely mischaracterizing both my point and what I'm offering in support. Peculiar.

I've noted empirical data, made specific support as well as illustrated, supported argument. So as to your evidence bit, doom on you. :D

We all judge by our own standard, and there is no escaping it. You are entitled to your opinion, and I mine. In the sum of it, we will draw our own unique conclusions, but we each have passed a judgement one way or the other.
Well sure, the question is predication and conclusion. That is, all opinions and contexts, as with any ideas, aren't necessarily equal. And if you hold one that doesn't serve your interests as well and isn't demonstrably true...it's a peculiar thing to hold.

I'm a skeptic.
I gathered. I don't follow links unless data is being presented and I'm suspicious of it or want to read the larger work cited and I never watch videos. I have conversations. Just a point of reference.

I see no evidence to indicate that a [God] exists,
Rather, you choose a context that is no less miraculous (eternal being without causality involved and/or infinite regression) for reasons that suit you. You have evidence, both from reason and by witness. You simply aren't moved by it.

that the God of the Bible exists,
Well, that sort of follows from "a [God]" doesn't it?

that Allah exists,
You don't identify Allah as a god?

nor any other god claim.
So I see, again. :think:

I do not find faith in a god or gods particularly useful,
I don't find that particularly rational. It logically is, whatever you think of the reality, which you can't know. Supra.

but opinion may differ.
Yours already has at least three times by reckoning (following your atheist/agnostic in premise).

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Then why call him god?
I guess that would depend on your definition of God. What is your definition of God? In other words, if you didn't have any religious text (assuming you reject them all), what would God have to be like in order to be God?

No, it's the version of god I reject just like I reject all other gods.
No, this is a problem you have with English. Let me see if I can explain this in another way. You've decided what God would have be be like if God existed. And after you've decided this, you've rejected *that*. Which is fine if what you are thinking God would be like, if He existed, is correct.

I'm well versed on the history. They are all imaginary, individual attributes and behaviors is an aside.
I think you've spoken too soon. How do you know they are all imaginary? Did people ever believe they were real? If you explain why they thought those gods were real, and wrong, is your analysis correct?

And, before you get too committed to the idea of proving a negative, make sure you include the TAG argument.

The respective existence of other gods aside, it is irrelevant to my case against the Bible God, for which I am passing judgement on the text of the Bible itself and the history of religion in practice.
Of course, but in laying the groundwork for your case against God of the Bible, you have to get into a discussion of the nature of God, if He existed. When you can come to understand the nature of God, if He existed, then you can show how that concept of God does not exist.

And please note. Despite your protestations to the contrary, you've decided what God is like (if He existed), and so far you've defended this concept without fail.

Now you might say, "Well who are you to pass judgement on the Bible as evil?", and I will go ahead and answer this challenge with, "Well who are you to pass judgement on the Bible as good?"
Of course not. First we have to establish that you can account for the existence of evil. I account for it by the existence of God, which is logical if God exists. How do you account for evil, or good, as concepts.

It's a good starting point for an objective definition.
I agree. So let's go further. When you say evil is "unnecessary" harm, how do you determine what is necessary and what is not?