The 50th. anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I have a dream..."

PureX

Not such a problem since programs are already in existence and would take minimal upgrades to accommodate the new workers - one such program the crews in the orange jumpsuits picking up trash on the side of the road.
Another Community Service.
That's just not true. The people in the jumpsuits are criminals. The people receiving welfare are not. They are two very different systems: one is the criminal justice system, and the other is the welfare system. And given the work you want to put them to, you're talking about more agencies, still: streets and sanitation, parks department, department of transportation. There would be an enormous tangle of inter-agency red tape, and oversight required. It would take a whole new agency of it's own just to administer it all. And this would cost a huge amount of money, considering the many millions of people that are on public aid.
Another obstacle that is scalable: Low income hosts a variety of programs that help those with child care services, I worked with Faith based groups IUGM (International Union of Gospel Missions) that ran Rescue Missions and other agencies that had the facilities to do daycare. Since the Mothers would be working for an already supplemented income they would not be drawing a paycheck from those facilities, they would be attendants under supervision from the staff that work in those facilities.
The state can't force mothers to put their children under the care of faith-based child care. And there are no state operated child-care facilities at the moment. So you're talking about a massive new agency just to take in and watch children while their mothers are working for peanuts cleaning the streets. This will cost a lot of money, above what we are already paying the mothers, and I would be very skeptical of allowing state agencies to take care of millions of children. The possibilities of horrific abuse and neglect are easy to imagine.

Also, what you are describing is a kind of enslavement, in which women who cannot feed themselves or their children are being forced to "work" according to the will of some low paid state employee. I can very easily foresee the opportunity for horrific abuse, and especially sexual abuse. Boss man says; you do what I want or you don't get your welfare check, and your baby don't eat.

You keep wanting to ignore the fact that controlling other people costs a lot of money, and invites all kinds of abuse.
Good then fraud and waste among recipients is something that needs to be addressed. And again I have witnessed first hand men who would obtain multiple addresses and identities for the express purpose of obtaining SSI / SSD paychecks.
What they can steal is peanuts compared to what the health care industry steals every year via medicaid and medicare. But all you want to see are those evil do-nothings sitting around and getting high on your tax dollars. I don't know why.
I have already given a suggestion for the child care programs. As school attendance, this would be another small obstacle, attendance sheets. People I knew in college who had their company pay partial tuition contingent upon grades and attendance had weekly sheets of attendance signed by professors and turned into Human Resources.
You're overlooking that fact that every time a name comes up on that attendance sheet, it has to be checked out. How do we know they weren't legitimately sick? Or that their child was sick? Now we need a trained health inspector to determine this, and who's paying them? Are they driving around to all those welfare mother's homes to check on them, or are the welfare mothers going to have to take their sick selves or their sick child to some health inspector agency for the examination? Who's paying for that? Money, money and more money. And with each successive layer of control you want to impose, we create more and more chances for fraud, and abuse.
I agree with certain aspects but I believe you are trying to connect "control or punishment" to something that is not present in my argument for responsible behavior. You want to make the case that someone who has made poor choices should not be held accountable for those actions.
Please understand, now, and for all time; that myself, and no other liberal living on Planet Earth, believes that people should not be held accountable for their poor decisions, or their self-destructive actions. This is NOT the point upon which we differ. The point of our differing is on what "accountable" means, and the degree to which we have the right, or even have the ability, to hold someone else "accountable". Life is already holding them accountable.
Instead they should most certainly be taught that continuation in such choices will not be supported, and if they want to reject help that restricts behaviors, then they will be cut off from such programs. Believe it or not most people especially young woman want structure they want to learn right choices, and be responsible.
You don't seem to understand that there are all sorts of human illness that cause a person to become self-destructive. And once the illness takes hold of them, they no longer possess the will to forcibly release themselves. You are trying to punish cancer victims for having cancer, under the delusion that this will somehow "teach them" not to be sick. It just doesn't work that way.

Before there was any welfare, there were still all these sick people: girls who got pregnant. Men out of work for no fault of their own. There were alcoholics, and drug addicts, and prostitutes, and crazy people who just weren't crazy enough to be locked away. And those people suffered and died from their various afflictions. So when you imagine that you can punish that sickness and misfortune out of them by refusing to give them any help, of any kind, if they won't "act right", you are fooling yourself.

The truth is that we CAN'T FIX most of these people. They are damaged beyond repair, already. The best we can do is try to fix those who can be fixed, and to be humane enough to ease the suffering of the rest, and try and learn how we can stop creating so many of them in the first place.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I have, as I said earlier I worked in the Rescue Missions for three years and yes there a great many of these people who drink the money, given to them.

My 2¢:

Ditto

I stopped (With the exception of honest-to- goodness street performers) handing people cash a long time ago.

I do however buy an occasional meal etc... :plain:

99lamb

PUREX,
I would address your points but this is more direct and revealing.
*Do you think Public Assistance is a right or a privilege ?
*If one is receiving P.A. should they forfeit it if they test positive for drugs?
*Should there be any guidelines at all for receiving P.A. such as
minimum work requirement - 20 hours to the city or state.

And remember I am not addressing people with disabilities or mental diseases - I am addressing able bodied individuals - Go.

PureX

PUREX,
I would address your points but this is more direct and revealing.
*Do you think Public Assistance is a right or a privilege ?
Neither. I think it's what an intelligent and civilized people do for each other.
If one is receiving P.A. should they forfeit it if they test positive for drugs?
I don't see what one has to do with the other. We don't help people because they're good or bad. We help them because they need the help.
Should there be any guidelines at all for receiving P.A. such as minimum work requirement - 20 hours to the city or state.
This is a foolish question. There are already many guidelines and requirements. And it presumes more options that don't and won't exist.
And remember I am not addressing people with disabilities or mental diseases - I am addressing able bodied individuals - Go.
Able-bodied, employable individuals don't receive help. The unemployed receive unemployment, which they paid into. And the unemployed need and want jobs, not help. We should change the way we conduct commerce so that everyone who wants a decent job should have one. We should do that because it's more important than how much profit investors can return on their investments.

You really need to stop obsessing on this imaginary horde of gold-bricking welfare cheats. Mostly, they don't exist. And the few who do are only a very minor symptom of our over-all socio-economic problems.

99lamb

PureX
Neither. I think it's what an intelligent and civilized people do for each other.
Straight forward question, didn't think you would punt.
But does remind me of FDR's position.

I don't see what one has to do with the other.
I'm starting to get that.

We don't help people because they're good or bad. We help them because they need the help.

True enough, but why are they in need. Would you have them continue in the behaviors that put them in this situation.

This is a foolish question. There are already many guidelines and requirements. And it presumes more options that don't and won't exist.
Not really foolish, but I think that you believe working for the Public Assistance is somehow beneath the person.

Able-bodied, employable individuals don't receive help. The unemployed receive unemployment, which they paid into. And the unemployed need and want jobs, not help. We should change the way we conduct commerce so that everyone who wants a decent job should have one.
And by decent you mean of course the livable wage argument like $15.00 an hour for working at McDs. You would force employers to adhere to such laws?

We should do that because it's more important than how much profit investors can return on their investments.
Again, your unique perspective. Without profits you have no company.

You really need to stop obsessing on this imaginary horde of gold-bricking welfare cheats. Mostly, they don't exist. And the few who do are only a very minor symptom of our over-all socio-economic problems.
I don't obsess over those receiving Public Assistance, I just find your perspective interesting.

PureX

True enough, but why are they in need. Would you have them continue in the behaviors that put them in this situation.
I am not in charge of the behavior of other people. Neither are you. God gave everyone their own life to live, and their own free will to live it with. When we enslave each other we are trying to deny others that which God has already chosen to give them.
Not really foolish, but I think that you believe working for the Public Assistance is somehow beneath the person.
Of course you do, because that's so much easier than thinking that you may be wrong.
And by decent you mean of course the livable wage argument like $15.00 an hour for working at McDs. You would force employers to adhere to such laws?
We already force employers to adhere to our laws. And everyone else as well. I think it's time we made those laws serve the well being of everyone in society, instead of the bank accounts of the wealthy.
Again, your unique perspective. Without profits you have no company.
There would still be plenty of profit. The world would not only not end if we paid a fair wage for a day's work, the economy and the nation would flourish.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
martin-luther-king-jr-22.jpg

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
There are moments in history when the voice of one inspired man can echo the aspirations of millions. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., was such a man. To America he symbolized courage, sacrifice, and the tireless pursuit of justice. . . . To the world he will be remembered as a great leader and teacher, a man whose words awakened in us all the hope for a more just, more compassionate society. . . . His time among us was cut tragically short, but his message of tolerance, non-violence, and brotherhood lives on. . . . Let us all rededicate ourselves to making Martin Luther King’s inspiring dream come true for all Americans.

Ronald Reagan

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
We have waited for more than 340 years for our constitutional and God-given rights. The nations of Asia and Africa are moving with jetlike speed toward gaining political independence, but we stiff creep at horse-and-buggy pace toward gaining a cup of coffee at a lunch counter. Perhaps it is easy for those who have never felt the stinging dark of segregation to say, "Wait." But when you have seen vicious mobs lynch your mothers and fathers at will and drown your sisters and brothers at whim; when you have seen hate-filled policemen curse, kick and even kill your black brothers and sisters; when you see the vast majority of your twenty million Negro brothers smothering in an airtight cage of poverty in the midst of an affluent society; when you suddenly find your tongue twisted and your speech stammering as you seek to explain to your six-year-old daughter why she can't go to the public amusement park that has just been advertised on television, and see tears welling up in her eyes when she is told that Funtown is closed to colored children, and see ominous clouds of inferiority beginning to form in her little mental sky, and see her beginning to distort her personality by developing an unconscious bitterness toward white people; when you have to concoct an answer for a five-year-old son who is asking: "Daddy, why do white people treat colored people so mean?"; when you take a cross-country drive and find it necessary to sleep night after night in the uncomfortable corners of your automobile because no motel will accept you; when you are humiliated day in and day out by nagging signs reading "white" and "colored"; when your first name becomes "******," your middle name becomes "boy" (however old you are) and your last name becomes "John," and your wife and mother are never given the respected title "Mrs."; when you are harried by day and haunted by night by the fact that you are a Negro, living constantly at tiptoe stance, never quite knowing what to expect next, and are plagued with inner fears and outer resentments; when you go forever fighting a degenerating sense of "nobodiness" then you will understand why we find it difficult to wait. There comes a time when the cup of endurance runs over, and men are no longer willing to be plunged into the abyss of despair. I hope, sirs, you can understand our legitimate and unavoidable impatience.

Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

Letter from Birmingham Jail - Full text

I just watched a movie on TCM called Intruder in the Dust (1949). It's based on a story by William Faulkner and is comparable in quality to To Kill A Mockingbird (1962) by Harper Lee. It's quite different than Lee's book, but it covers the the same type of subject matter. I had not heard of the movie before but highly recommend it.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I just continue to find it amazing so many snow white, holier than thou "Christians" are so unforgiving of Martin Luther King's alleged transgressions that they're willing to disregard the positive aspects of his life. I wouldn't be surprised if these same people would be unforgiving toward Mary Magdalene!

Luke 8:1 Soon afterwards, He began going around from one city and village to another, proclaiming and preaching the kingdom of God. The twelve were with Him,
Luke 8:2 and also some women who had been healed of evil spirits and sicknesses: Mary who was called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out,
Luke 8:3 and Joanna the wife of Chuza, Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others who were contributing to their support out of their private means. [KJV]

Mark 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him. [KJV]

Mark 16:9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils. [KJV]

It doesn't seem that the disciples of Jesus had any problem with Mary Magdalene. Jesus even appeared to her first after rising from the grave. This won't put an end to the attacks on MLK. It's sad that they cannot be more forgiving because we are ALL needing a savior, Jesus.

images

Before Rosa Parks: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101719889

SObG, you are missed.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
What I’m saying to you this morning is that Communism forgets that life is individual. Capitalism forgets that life is social, and the Kingdom of Brotherhood is found neither in the thesis of Communism nor the antithesis of capitalism but in a higher synthesis. It is found in a higher synthesis that combines the truths of both. Now, when I say question the whole society, it means ultimately coming to see that the problem of racism, the problem of economic exploitation, and the problem of war are all tied together. These are the triple evils that are interrelated.
-- Martin Luther King, Jr. 1967