That's so gay.

GuySmiley

I'd like to switch to "That's so Wanda." But then I'd be dropping 'gay' which is what she wants, so I'll stick to using gay as an insult.

Shalom

I dont mind when people use the saying "Thats so gay." But just exactly what did she mean at the end of the commercial when she said "Knock it off!" Knock what off?!? Is she threatening me?!? Just exactly what is "it"? Thats soooo offensive! Im going to make a commercial about that evil saying and educate the world.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I dont mind when people use the saying "Thats so gay." But just exactly what did she mean at the end of the commercial when she said "Knock it off!" Knock what off?!? Is she threatening me?!? Just exactly what is "it"? Thats soooo offensive! Im going to make a commercial about that evil saying and educate the world.

That idea is so gay!

DocJohnson

Wanda sucks like a black hole. Oh, wait. That's probably an offensive thing to say, too. How insensitive of me. :doh:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:sozo: Yeah!!! So knock it off, Wanda!!!

elohiym

If she claims to be gay (and she does), I can't imagine her objecting to being called gay. What's she going to say? Is it hate speech when you use it, but not when she uses it.

:think:

Reminds me of another word.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How would you like it if I said that your post is so guy-who-runs-a-theology-site?
:squint:

It is.

Your posts are gay and Knight's posts are guy-who-runs-a-theology-site.

:rotfl:

UltimateWarrior

I guess, the Gay community does not realize, is we think gay is parallel or synonymous to stupidity. Where as 16 yo Boy with a cheesy mustache is her weak opinion. She would be laughed at in RL for such a weak come back

zoo22

If she claims to be gay (and she does), I can't imagine her objecting to being called gay. What's she going to say? Is it hate speech when you use it, but not when she uses it.

:think:

Think.

Public service announcement and Wanda Sykes and even gay or no aside... It's always amazing to me that someone would not recognize the difference between the two.

The commercial isn't about calling gay people gay. Is it?

Words simply mean different things in different contexts.

No, I wouldn't imagine she would would care about being called gay. And that's different than using the word gay as a demeaning term (no matter what one's opinion on homosexuality or comedic talent are).

Is it hate speech when you use it, but not when she uses it.

Doesn't it depend on the context?

Calling a Christian a Christian is one thing. Even if it might be said with hatred, meant as derogatory, it's accurate. Referring to a pile of dung as a Christian means something else. Right?

Referring to learning impaired people as "Christian?" Different context.

I don't imagine a Christian would be offended by being called a Christian, even if it were said with hatred. But would most Christians be offended if someone referred to a pile of dung as Christian? Or if "Christian" was a commonly accepted and used slur? I think so.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Think.

Public service announcement and Wanda Sykes and even gay or no aside... It's always amazing to me that someone would not recognize the difference between the two.

The commercial isn't about calling gay people gay. Is it?

Words simply mean different things in different contexts.

No, I wouldn't imagine she would would care about being called gay. And that's different than using the word gay as a demeaning term (no matter what one's opinion on homosexuality or comedic talent are).

Doesn't it depend on the context?

Calling a Christian a Christian is one thing. Even if it might be said with hatred, meant as derogatory, it's accurate. Referring to a pile of dung as a Christian means something else. Right?

Referring to learning impaired people as "Christian?" Different context.

I don't imagine a Christian would be offended by being called a Christian, even if it were said with hatred. But would most Christians be offended if someone referred to a pile of dung as Christian? Or if "Christian" was a commonly accepted and used slur? I think so.
I think you're missing the point. We don't care if the dyke is offended.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I think what offends her and her ilk the most is that, despite all their efforts to make "gay" seem a wonderful thing to kids, they still began applying "gay" as a derogatory. They'll never admit it but it's a clear reminder that it's human nature to be put off by sexually deviant behavior and view it as unacceptable.
One generation twisted "gay" around and applied it to homosexuality in the attempt to make it sound nice. Then the next generation promptly kicked "gay" over into the derogatory pile in response to the new connotation. That's hilarious to me.

Gay will always be something that you'll have to convince people is acceptable. Even kids know "that's so gay". :chuckle: