Ted Cruz: 'On 9/11, I Didn't Like How Rock Music Responded

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I think that's exactly backwards. From hard hearted republicans to bleeding heart democrats, stereotypes are the comfort food of discourse, but they're mostly empty calories.
You think it's a coincidence men on your side: steal, kill and destroy. :reals: I do not (Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10, Mt 25:32).

See:

Left vs. Right: Political and Religious Divisions

Righteous Compared to the Wicked

Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.

For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth [Luke 21:33–35].

"Don’t let down your guard today, friend. Don’t give up. These are great days to live for God! I am not called upon to reform the world, or change the world. That is God’s business, not my business. He has asked me to live for Him, and He has asked me to get His Word out. That is what I am attempting to do, and I hope you are doing this also. It is very comfortable to be in the will of God." McGee, J. V. (1991). Thru the Bible commentary: The Gospels (Luke) (electronic ed., Vol. 37, p. 259). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

11aeg03jpg_zps8f9e6d03.gif
"Lk 21:34 that Day. I.e., the day of His return. See note on Matt. 24:37. When Christ mentions His return, he invariably enjoins watchfulness (cf. 12:37–40; Matt. 25:13; Mark 13:33–37)." MacArthur, J., Jr. (Ed.). (1997). The MacArthur Study Bible (electronic ed., p. 1558). Nashville, TN: Word Pub.

judgementforsheepandgoatnations.jpg

genuineoriginal

"Music is interesting," he said. "I grew up listening to classic rock, and I'll tell you sort of an odd story: My music taste changed on 9/11. And it's very strange. I actually intellectually find this very curious. But on 9/11, I didn't like how rock music responded. And country music collectively, the way they responded, it resonated with me.

"And I have to say, it just is a gut-level. I had an emotional reaction that says, these are my people," Cruz said of country artists. "So ever since 2001, I listen to country music. But I'm an odd country music fan, because I didn't listen to it prior to 2001..." Full text: Ted Cruz: 'On 9/11, I Didn't Like How Rock Music Responded

I heard about this on the radio.

A caller asked how music written in the 1960's, 70's, and 80's was supposed to respond to an event that happened in 2001.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You think it's a coincidence men on your side: steal, kill and destroy.
My side is with Christ, so you begin with a fairly big mistake. And you compound it by first (I have to suppose knowing your stereotypes) believing I'm a liberal, when I'm no more that than I am a conservative, meaningfully, and double down on that error by asserting the intellectually bankrupt and unsupportable notion that stealing, killing and destruction are either a) an attribute of liberalism or b) singularly the province of any party, let alone the aim.

I'll wait while nothing I said makes the least sense to you. :plain:

Mocking You

Ted Cruz: "I grew up on classic rock. I didn't like how rock music reacted to 9/11."

OK, so you DID like how rock-n-roll reacted to campus war demonstrations, drug use, the sexual revolution, foul language, etc.

You liked how the Beatles reacted to the Manson murders? (Helter Skelter). The Cold War? (Back in the USSR.)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ted Cruz: "I grew up on classic rock. I didn't like how rock music reacted to 9/11."

OK, so you DID like how rock-n-roll reacted to campus war demonstrations, drug use, the sexual revolution, foul language, etc.

You liked how the Beatles reacted to the Manson murders? (Helter Skelter). The Cold War? (Back in the USSR.)

Good post but the Manson reference is backwards. Helter Skelter came first and the psychopath heard things in and other tunes off the White Album that spoke to him...like Son of Sam's dog.

Last edited:

Mocking You

Good post but the Manson reference is backwards. Helter Skelter came first and the psychopath heard things in and other tunes off the White Album it that spoke to him...like Son of Sam's dog.

Yes, you are correct. I'd forgotten.

I grew up on classic rock too, but I can see how it could influence people, and not for the better. "First I drink, then I smoke.....You're gonna lose your mind in Detroit Rock City"--KISS.

I'd say at least half the problems with rebellious youth, rampant sex, slackers, etc. is because of the influence of MTV on the popular culture.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Also, Back in the USSR was sarcasm, not a travel advertisement for the Soviets.

In hindsight it appears to be sarcasm, but at the time it was considered a paean.
True and true again. Reminds me of Sting's Every Breath You Take being one of the most requested songs at weddings for a while after its successful run on the charts. :thumb:

Not so. It was a sarcastic swipe at the Beach Boys from the get-go.
He's speaking to the reception, not the intent. So you're both right.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yes, you are correct. I'd forgotten.

I grew up on classic rock too, but I can see how it could influence people, and not for the better. "First I drink, then I smoke.....You're gonna lose your mind in Detroit Rock City"--KISS.

I'd say at least half the problems with rebellious youth, rampant sex, slackers, etc. is because of the influence of MTV on the popular culture.

If you think a song from KISS is going to make someone light a Marlboro and crack a Bud, you need to seek professional help.

Mocking You

If you think a song from KISS is going to make someone light a Marlboro and crack a Bud, you need to seek professional help.

If you think they are talking about lighting up a Marlboro....

It's not going to MAKE them do this, it's going to condition them to believe it's a normal activity. In just about every other cultural venue--movies, magazines, most music genres--the venue reflected societal activity. But rock music was different. Rock music reflected the life of the rock star. Hundreds of songs were written about their lifestyles. Fans began to see this as being "cool", and tried to emulate their heroes. So, yes, rock music has the ability to influence people.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It's not going to MAKE them do this, it's going to condition them to believe it's a normal activity.

Drinking and smoking is normal.

In just about every other cultural venue--movies, magazines, most music genres--the venue reflected societal activity. But rock music was different. Rock music reflected the life of the rock star.

And movies and novels and mags don't reflect the life of, say, the rich, the famous, the glamorous, and those we want to be? Come on.

I'd say as much a case could be made for the blues reflecting the life of the bluesman as well, since we're at it.

Hundreds of songs were written about their lifestyles. Fans began to see this as being "cool", and tried to emulate their heroes. So, yes, rock music has the ability to influence people.

Music has the ability to influence people. But I think you're giving it way, way, way too much credit.

Mocking You

Drinking and smoking is normal.

Hmmmm....Smoking weed, drinking and then going out and drag racing is normal? (Detroit Rock City)

And movies and novels and mags don't reflect the life of, say, the rich, the famous, the glamorous, and those we want to be? Come on.

Sure they do. But rock music CREATED their own culture.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Hmmmm....Smoking weed, drinking and then going out and drag racing is normal? (Detroit Rock City)

Not what I said. Although seriously: Are you this hung up on a so-so tune from a largely mediocre band...in 2015?:chuckle:

Sure they do. But rock music CREATED their own culture.

What genre doesn't?

Mocking You

Not what I said. Although seriously: Are you this hung up on a so-so tune from a largely mediocre band...in 2015?:chuckle:

It's the first one that came to mind. There's hundreds of them out there.

What genre doesn't?

Literature and novels. What is the novel culture?

What is the culture of ballet?

Rock music brought back long hair on men, groupies, the drug culture, popularized eastern religions in the west, rebellion against authority, etc.

At this point I think you are simply looking for an argument and aren't listening to what I'm saying.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It's the first one that came to mind. There's hundreds of them out there.

Right now I'm humming "Cigarettes and Alcohol" by Oasis.:chuckle:

Literature and novels. What is the novel culture?

I asked what genre doesn't create its own subculture, not what art forms create their own. Let's tackle lit: noir, alt history, hardboiled, sci-fi, horror, suspense, thrillers, spycraft, and so forth. You don't think these genres don't have their own little worlds? If so, you've never been to a writer's convention.

What is the culture of ballet?

See above.

Rock music brought back long hair on men, groupies, the drug culture, popularized eastern religions in the west, rebellion against authority, etc.

Seems like you just have an axe to grind with rock, frankly. If it's not your cup of tea, fine. But rockers weren't the first iconoclasts and rebels to tour, play guitar, scare the crap out of the locals, drink, do drugs, womanize, and write raunchy lyrics. Nor will they ever be the last.

Mocking You

Seems like you just have an axe to grind with rock, frankly. If it's not your cup of tea, fine. But rockers weren't the first iconoclasts and rebels to tour, play guitar, scare the crap out of the locals, drink, do drugs, womanize, and write raunchy lyrics. Nor will they ever be the last.

No axe to grind. I grew up with it and still listen to it.

Has any other iconoclasts gotten their own TV network to showcase their stuff?

Granite

Hall of Fame
No axe to grind. I grew up with it and still listen to it.

Has any other iconoclasts gotten their own TV network to showcase their stuff?

Not sure what network you have in mind. Don't have country and rap have some kind of presence on the tube?