Summit Clock Experiment 2.0: Time is Absolute

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
"During the 1920s, the experiments pioneered by Michelson were repeated by Dayton Miller, who publicly proclaimed positive results on several occasions, although not large enough to be consistent with any known aether theory. In any case, other researchers were unable to duplicate Miller's claimed results, and in subsequent years the experimental accuracy of such measurements has been raised by many orders of magnitude, and no trace of any violations of Lorentz invariance has been seen...Since the Miller experiment and its unclear results there have been many more experiments to detect the aether. Many of the experimenters have claimed positive results. These results have not gained much attention from mainstream science, since they are in contradiction to a large quantity of high-precision measurements, all of them confirming special relativity." -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminiferous_aether#Second_order_experiments

I'm aware of the Wikipedia articles. I've read them.

I'm not really interested in debating the topic of an ether but just to give you a taste of what you don't know, I'll ask you a question...

All of the experiments designed to detect an ether presuppose that the ether is rigid. What if it isn't? What if massive bodies like the Earth sort of drag some of the ether along with it, like when you drag a spoon through honey? If that were the case, it would not only explain the interferometer experiments but also the bending of light around stars.

Not that this idea is without its problems. The fact that you can polarize light would indicate that, if an ether exists, it acts like a solid because transverse waves do not occur in liquids. Having said that, waves require a medium. Waves simply do not occur at all in things that do not exist (i.e. empty space).

The point here is that the Michelson and Morley experiments, even if you accept their results, did NOT prove that there is no ether, it simply failed to detect it. There is a massive difference between proving the nonexistence of something and failing to detect it, but you wouldn't know that by listening to mainstream science. Their experimental results, as sparse as they are, are lifted up as proof that no ether exists, which not even Michelson himself would concede. The ether has simply been declared to not exist and anyone who questions that declaration is deemed a "crank or a creationist".

Clete

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Time does not exist separately from space, and is tightly intertwined with it. Time is a key variable in a lot of physical processes such that changes in time result in changes in these processes.

It's fine to believe this idea, but in order to engage rationally, you have to respect the ideas of those who disagree with you..

You keep asking questions that show you have no understanding of what we believe.

Time is defined as the distance between events. (Space is the distance between objects.)

Clocks are things which are designed specifically to reveal the passage of time, we agree. However, to assert the primacy of your idea, you have to show evidence that time and space are "intertwined."

And given that such ideas are descriptions of the non-physical, you're going to have your work cut out for you.

If you want to define ... absolute time that somehow operates independently of the material processes of the universe.
This shows you have not understood anything Clete has said.

Time is an idea. It is the distance between events. That concept cannot be an affective entity or "intertwined" with anything, nor does it "operate."

Try to understand what your opponent believes, rather than finding ways to disagree with everything written.

You seem to see time [as absolute].
Nope. Idea.

Time to stop and figure out what it is you are determined cannot be true.

If you can come up with any experiment that supports the idea of ... time by matching your theory better than that of relativity, I would gladly read about it.

Why? You can't even establish relativity.

Ever read Einstein's paper that claims to do so?

Sent from my SM-A520F using TOL mobile app

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Summit Clock Experiment 2.0: Time is Absolute

Why is someone whose whole public persona, and probably private life, is devoted to pushing his brand of Christianity and creationism going to criticise something so well verified and experimentally supported as relativity?

This is why you are called a troll. Just have the discussion, quit attributing motive.

Who knows, you might be able to teach us something. :idunno:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What you haven't done is show evidence that absolute time is a reasonable assumption for the universe.

And neither will we. We have not presented a concept of "absolute time." That is something you made up because you refuse to spend any time trying to understand what is being plainly presented to you.

Time is not "intertwined" with anything, neither can it be.

It is an idea; it is the distance between events.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The point here is that the Michelson and Morley experiments, even if you accept their results, did NOT prove that there is no ether, it simply failed to detect it.

M&M were expecting an Earth orbital rate of 0kms, but found that it was 8kms, while aether ideas required 32kms.

Proponents of relativity claimed that the result was instrument error and confirmed relativity.

However, statistical analysis leaves little to favor 0kms over 32kms. The more likely answer is that M&M messed up their calculations.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
M&M were expecting an Earth orbital rate of 0kms, but found that it was 8kms, while aether ideas required 32kms.

Proponents of relativity claimed that the result was instrument error and confirmed relativity.

However, statistical analysis leaves little to favor 0kms over 32kms. The more likely answer is that M&M messed up their calculations.

There are lots of things wrong with the M&M experimental process, not the least of which is a small data set (i.e. they didn't run the experiment very many times).

But even if they had done a terrific job of doing the science, their lack of detection of an ether would not be proof that it does not exist, which is how the experimental results are invariably presented as being.

gcthomas

It's liberals who always have ulterior motives and motives that are obscure and who say things they don't mean. Bob isn't a liberal. Had he wanted to make some point about creationism, I assure you, he would have done so explicitly. He, unlike liberals, isn't afraid for you or anyone to know what his real agenda is and doesn't have to mask it.

His real agenda is theological, which is why he has had virtually the same cut'n'pasted thread OP posted three times in the last dozen years.

[
He does not make arguments anything similar to, "Scientific theory X is non-christian, therefore it is false.".

This is what Enyart says in his OP (assuming he doesn't think Calvinists are real Christians:

For my interest in all this is theological. Biblically, I have been convinced that time is an eternal attribute of reality, and thus, of God’s existence, seen most easily in that He is relational. And many Calvinists and others teach that God is outside of time existing in an eternal now, and that He created time. So Calvinists commonly quote popular understandings of General Relativity’s time dilation as evidence for their claim that time is not absolute, and thus, God can exist outside of time. So, I have a vested interested in refuting that.​

He explicitly says that his challenging relativity is to make everything fit with his conceptions of God and of Creation, since he must have an absolute time concept.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There are lots of things wrong with the M&M experimental process, not the least of which is a small data set (i.e. they didn't run the experiment very many times).

But even if they had done a terrific job of doing the science, their lack of detection of an ether would not be proof that it does not exist, which is how the experimental results are invariably presented as being.
One thing they did that was good was make their data available.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
His real agenda is theological, which is why he has had virtually the same cut'n'pasted thread OP posted three times in the last dozen years.
Can you not read?

His agenda is irrelevant.
The number of times they've rebooted the thread is irrelevant.
His desire not to retype the exact same thing and chooses to avail himself of the efficiency of cutting and pasting already well-written material is irrelevant.
Your personal opinion of him is irrelevant.

Either refute his arguments or find another hobby.

This is what Enyart says in his OP (assuming he doesn't think Calvinists are real Christians:

For my interest in all this is theological. Biblically, I have been convinced that time is an eternal attribute of reality, and thus, of God’s existence, seen most easily in that He is relational. And many Calvinists and others teach that God is outside of time existing in an eternal now, and that He created time. So Calvinists commonly quote popular understandings of General Relativity’s time dilation as evidence for their claim that time is not absolute, and thus, God can exist outside of time. So, I have a vested interested in refuting that.​

He explicitly says that his challenging relativity is to make everything fit with his conceptions of God and of Creation, since he must have an absolute time concept.
I am going to say this one more time and I am going to use big letters like they use in kindergarten and I will not use contractions so that you can read it slowly and understand...

Bob's motives are not relevant to the arguments he has made!

No one doubts that Bob is a Christian. No one doubts that he is the pastor of a church and that his whole life revolves around doctrine. No one doubts that Bob has an interest in science and holds a cosmology that is consistent with his doctrinal beliefs. Why would anyone expect otherwise?
The question is whether he has made arguments that are rationally sound. If you think he has not, then prove it or just shut up. No one cares what your opinion of Bob Enyart is.

Clete

Last edited:

gcthomas

His agenda is irrelevant.
Then why did he spell out that his entire interest was theological?

Either refute his arguments or find another hobby.
Already done, but you haven't the wit to appreciate the argument.

The question is whether he has made arguments that are rationally sound. If you think he has not, then prove it or just shut up. No one cares what your opinion of Bob Enyart is.

Clete

I'll try to use shorter words, Clete.

He and you assume that if one clock has experienced more time elapsed between events, then it will have moved into the future and left the present. This is presented as the key observation. Notwithstanding that if you thought that the clock had moved further into the future then it must have passed through the present and therefore be visible in the present, this is a big assumption and representative of the foundational belief in absolute time, which is why you find that Relativity is not compatible with absolute time conceptions. Funnily enough, it is not meant to be.

Here it is: experiment finds that ALL time dependent processes experience EXACTLY the same time dilation as the 'slower' clock measures: chemical reactions take longer, nuclear decays take longer, clocks run slower, the half lives of unstable particles seem to be longer, electrical signals take longer, EVERYTHING that has been observed is seen to experience the SAME time changes as the clock. If you don't want to call that a change in the flow of 'time', then fine. But you have departed from the self-consistent conception that science has used for a very long time, and you now fail to have your own definition. (Saying it is defined by the sunrises just means that you define time for all things with just the one 'clock', and then no equation that has time as a dependent variable will now work when gravity or speeds are different. Nothing.)

Enyart assumes in ALL the discussion in the OP that there is but a single time line that everything moves along - this his his assumption of absolute time. The comment that one clock will have gone further into the future absolutely reinforces that view. There is nothing in theory that prevents the time elapsed for two locations/objects to be different even though they can arrive in the same place in the same instant. To disagree means you have adopted absolute time, for which conclusive experimental evidence refutes.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Then why did he spell out that his entire interest was theological?
Because he is posting on a theology forum. The topic is not irrelevant to theology nor is his theology irrelevant to his motive for presenting the information on a theology forum but his doctrine, whether it is a motivating factor or not, is not relevant to the veracity of the arguments he made. Rejecting his arguments on the basis of his doctrine is not a rational reason for rejecting the arguments because he did not make his doctrine a premise of his argument!

Now, that's the last I'm saying on the topic. You either get it or you're stupid. Either way, any further discussion on this issue is a waste of my time.

Already done, but you haven't the wit to appreciate the argument.
Says the half wit who can't figure out that someone's motive for making an argument isn't part of the argument itself.

I'll try to use shorter words, Clete.
Don't strain yourself.

He and you assume that if one clock has experienced more time elapsed between events, then it will have moved into the future and left the present. This is presented as the key observation.
Nope. We make no such assumption. You're too dense to understand that the present is just one point in time, one tick on a clock, the tick that everything that exists arrives at together. No matter how slow or fast you claim something is moving through time it manages somehow to perfectly tie everything else in a race to the present moment.

Notwithstanding that if you thought that the clock had moved further into the future then it must have passed through the present and therefore be visible in the present, this is a big assumption and representative of the foundational belief in absolute time, which is why you find that Relativity is not compatible with absolute time conceptions. Funnily enough, it is not meant to be.
You cannot refute my argument by presupposing the validity of your own. I know you won't understand how you are doing that here and I'm not willing to explain it.

Further, I happen to think that time is not absolute, at least not in the sense you probably think Bob means it. Time does not exist except as an idea. It is not a fundamental property of nature, it's merely a convention of language that we use to convey information about the duration and sequences of events relative to other events. The only sense in which time is absolute is in the fact that events happen in the order in which they happen and in no other order.

Here it is: experiment finds that ALL time dependent processes experience EXACTLY the same time dilation as the 'slower' clock measures: chemical reactions take longer, nuclear decays take longer, clocks run slower, the half lives of unstable particles seem to be longer, electrical signals take longer, EVERYTHING that has been observed is seen to experience the SAME time changes as the clock.
These are all clocks! A clock is nothing at all other than a regular set of arbitrary events that we use to compare other events too.

If you don't want to call that a change in the flow of 'time', then fine. But you have departed from the self-consistent conception that science has used for a very long time, and you now fail to have your own definition.
I (we) have given a very clear definition of time so many times that I'm about to joke! I've given it again in this very post. Your denial of it doesn't make it go away.

(Saying it is defined by the sunrises just means that you define time for all things with just the one 'clock', and then no equation that has time as a dependent variable will now work when gravity or speeds are different. Nothing.)
You do not even understand the argument. No wonder you can't refute it. As I've said seemingly a million times now, if you don't want to use sun rises then pick something else. You can use the number of orbits that occur for HM Cancri (a binary star system). Or keep track of the number of metric tons of meteors strike the Earth's atmosphere (assuming you have an accurate way of doing so.) Or whatever you want! The third clock, whatever it is will read the same for both the other two clocks so long as it is not affected by whatever it is effecting either of the other two clocks.
Put another way, all three clocks will arrive together at whatever point in the future you want to pick. Put a third way, pick any two points in time you want.
Put a third way, pick any two points in time you want (you'll be forced to use a clock of some sort to do this, it doesn't matter which one you choose). We'll call the earlier point in time the "start" and the later point the "finish". All three clocks in the experiment will both start and finish in perfect synchronicity.

Enyart assumes in ALL the discussion in the OP that there is but a single time line that everything moves along - this his assumption of absolute time.
No observation of anything else has ever occurred, nor could it occur because everything that exists, exists now and only now. Any event you want to name, if it occurred and was observed, the event and the observation occurred at the same time.
Please don't bring up something stupid like super-novas which we observe after the fact. The supernova happened at some point in the past. What we are observing is the light waves entering our eyes (or telescope or whatever it is we are using to make the observation.) The light wave hitting the instrument is what is being observed. In fact, the light hitting the instrument is the observation.

The comment that one clock will have gone further into the future absolutely reinforces that view.
No one has made any such claim. The future does not exist. You cannot refute arguments that you do not understand.

There is nothing in theory that prevents the time elapsed for two locations/objects to be different even though they can arrive in the same place in the same instant. To disagree means you have adopted absolute time, for which conclusive experimental evidence refutes.
Saying it doesn't make it so. You need to study something called "begging the question".

See ya!

Clete

gcthomas

All three clocks in the experiment will both start and finish in perfect synchronicity.

Except that they don't. Different clocks experience different amounts of time in travelling between the two events. All we have in your claim is an assertion that the amount of time experienced by each is the same, despite the different clock readings, because a different and unrelated clock (the Earth/sunrises) disagrees.

As Richard Feynman famously said: If it disagrees with experiment then it is wrong.

I have a challenge for you: Relativity is falsifiable, in that all its quantitative predictions must match the measurements of each prediction. All you have to do is find an experiment that produces measurements that disagree with the predictions. This is the nub of it all, the theory makes predictions. You don't have to agree with the interpretations of the various mathematical conceptions that are used in making the predictions, only that if it makes better predictions than other theories then it is the better theory.

Do you have any experimental beef with Relativity? Any evidence that it isn't fantastically accurate? If not, then what is this thread about? :idunno:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Different clocks experience different amounts of time in travelling between the two events.

Nope. This is you assuming the truth of your theory.

A theory-neutral observation is: The clocks show different durations campared with each other. We have competing reasons to explain this observation.

When you phrase the observation in terms of your idea, you define the debate out of existence. Try engaging rationally.

All we have in your claim is an assertion that the amount of time experienced by each is the same, despite the different clock readings, because a different and unrelated clock (the Earth/sunrises) disagrees.
Actually, there's far more to it than that. However, you can't even establish your own theory. Have you even read the paper that claims to show relativity?

As Richard Feynman famously said: If it disagrees with experiment then it is wrong.
Then you should ditch your idea. :up:

Relativity is falsifiable.
It sure is! Just post the mathematics that was used to establish it and I'll show you how. :up:

All its quantitative predictions must match the measurements of each prediction. All you have to do is find an experiment that produces measurements that disagree with the predictions.
I have a better idea. Post the explanation Einstein wrote and I'll show you how it is flawed. :up:

If it makes better predictions than other theories then it is the better theory.
I'll hold you to that. :up:

Do you have any experimental beef with Relativity? Any evidence that it isn't fantastically accurate?

Yes. :thumb:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Except that they don't.
Saying it doesn't make it so.

The third clock (e.g. the number of sun rises) proves that they do.

Different clocks experience different amounts of time in traveling between the two events.
No, they simply run at different rates. You cannot experience more or less of something that does not exist. Time is an idea, not some sort of stuff we actually move through.

Further, the two events are simply two ticks of a clock. In other words, you are contradicting yourself. You can't move through a specific amount of time and experience more or less time than something else that moved through the same specific amount of time. The given quantanty cannot be both the same and different.

All we have in your claim is an assertion that the amount of time experienced by each is the same, despite the different clock readings, because a different and unrelated clock (the Earth/sunrises) disagrees.
The fact that it disagrees is the evidence! More than that, it's that it disagrees but both of the other two clocks (or clock watchers) agree that it disagrees. Or put another way, the third clock reads the same to both of the other two. What you are trying to convince me of is that a contradiction has occurred - that somehow the two clocks have both experienced a different amount of time and experienced the same amount of time. It cannot be both.

Well, that's just the point, isn't it?!

You would not have ever said this if you understood the argument.

I have a challenge for you: Relativity is falsifiable, in that all its quantitative predictions must match the measurements of each prediction. All you have to do is find an experiment that produces measurements that disagree with the predictions. This is the nub of it all, the theory makes predictions. You don't have to agree with the interpretations of the various mathematical conceptions that are used in making the predictions, only that if it makes better predictions than other theories then it is the better theory.
You wouldn't have said this either if you understood the argument.
Momentum affects clocks in a very predictable way. That much has been proven by experiment and is not in dispute. Your challenge, therefore, would not prove anything other than what is already conceded. The argument is that affecting clocks is not equivalent to affecting time.

Do you have any experimental beef with Relativity? Any evidence that it isn't fantastically accurate? If not, then what is this thread about? :idunno:
You need to read the opening post. If you've read it before then it's been too long and you need to read it again. Otherwise, you're going to be wasting your time arguing the wrong issue. You cannot refute or even debate an argument that you do not understand.

Clete

gcthomas

You need to read the opening post. If you've read it before then it's been too long and you need to read it again. Otherwise, you're going to be wasting your time arguing the wrong issue. You cannot refute or even debate an argument that you do not understand.

Clete

You cannot refute a theory with argument unless you can find a contradiction that is irreconcilable with theory or experiment.

The OP doesn't present an experiment, just an expression of the (correct) idea that scientist's conception of time is not the same as yours. Which is fine. Just call the scientce version relativistic time, and your conception absolute time, or Solar time or whatever. It doesn't matter. What does matter is that Relativity predicts events and measurements in the real world, and the absolute time versions don't. Predictability counts, and that is where Relativity does exceptionally well. No carefully run experiment has disagreed with the predictions.

So, Relativity works well and Absolute time conceptions don't. That's it.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Thus I argue that when folks say that time speeds up or slows down in different frames of reference, what they really mean is that stuff affects clocks.

And everything else in the physical universe. So what we call "time", in your estimation is just the rate at certain things change, like the motion of a pendulum, the frequency of an oscillating circuit, the breakdown of radioactive elements, etc.

So now consider this:

There's a universe in which every now and then, a random half of the universe is suddenly lighted by a purple glow, after which a cloud envelops it and then goes away in 100 years.

Only when the cloud clears, everything in that half of the universe is as if time stopped when the cloud appeared. Practically no time went by from the standpoint of someone in the affected half, but in the other half 100 years had passed.

Then, one day, the entire universe began to glow, and a cloud formed, and then went away. Did any time pass?

If you can figure out that, you know one of the problems with Bob's idea.

But

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You cannot refute a theory with argument unless you can find a contradiction that is irreconcilable with theory or experiment.
That's nice.

The OP doesn't present an experiment, just an expression of the (correct) idea that scientist's conception of time is not the same as yours. Which is fine. Just call the scientce version relativistic time, and your conception absolute time, or Solar time or whatever. It doesn't matter. What does matter is that Relativity predicts events and measurements in the real world, and the absolute time versions don't. Predictability counts, and that is where Relativity does exceptionally well. No carefully run experiment has disagreed with the predictions. So, Relativity works well and Absolute time conceptions don't. That's it.
You keep saying "absolute" time as if you did not realize nobody here adheres to such a description.

If you want to engage sensibly, you have to respect what your opponent believes.

And everything else in the physical universe. So what we call "time", in your estimation is just the rate at certain things change, like the motion of a pendulum, the frequency of an oscillating circuit, the breakdown of radioactive elements, etc. So now consider this: There's a universe in which every now and then, a random half of the universe is suddenly lighted by a purple glow, after which a cloud envelops it and then goes away in 100 years. Only when the cloud clears, everything in that half of the universe is as if time stopped when the cloud appeared. Practically no time went by from the standpoint of someone in the affected half, but in the other half 100 years had passed. Then, one day, the entire universe began to glow, and a cloud formed, and then went away. Did any time pass? If you can figure out that, you know one of the problems with Bob's idea. But

:kook:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Okay. Have you read the opening post?

The OP doesn't present an experiment, just an expression of the (correct) idea that scientist's conception of time is not the same as yours. Which is fine. Just call the scientce version relativistic time, and your conception absolute time, or Solar time or whatever. It doesn't matter. What does matter is that Relativity predicts events and measurements in the real world, and the absolute time versions don't. Predictability counts, and that is where Relativity does exceptionally well. No carefully run experiment has disagreed with the predictions.
You don't get to eat your cake and have it too.

Relativity says and does a whole lot more than give the word time an different definition. It claims a contradiction, which the OP does a masterful job of pointing out. It claims that a someone can experience two different spans of time at the same time. Which, when stated that way is an obvious contradiction.

So, Relativity works well and Absolute time conceptions don't. That's it.

No one has suggested that Relativity doesn't work well and, as I've already explained, your understanding of "absolute time" is erroneous and inconsistent with what Bob and I are talking about.

The biggest problem with Relativity has to do with the direction its interpretation pushes the rest of science. That is to say that the conflating of time with clocks, as well as the converting of time from an idea into something ontological, sends you in directions that are divorced from reality. The next thing you know, you find yourself conjuring such fantasies as Dark Matter, Dark Energy, Neutron Stars and the like, just to keep your whole cosmology from imploding into a sort of philosophical black hole.
But all of that is a topic for another thread. This thread is not about defending or refuting Relativity, at least not directly. This thread is about defending or refuting the opening post. So far, no one has presented anything that refutes a single point made in the opening post. Not one single point! In fact, if anything, this latest post of yours seems to tacitly concede that time is not a thing that can be warped. Surely you didn't think that you could do that without me noticing it and pointing out that doing so concedes the whole debate, did you?

Clete