Summit Clock Experiment 2.0: Time is Absolute

TimLutz

Kinda reminds me of Bible debunkers.
Louis Cassels book, "Debunkers"
"You can count on it. Every few years some "scholar" will stir up a short-lived sensation by publishing a book that says something outlandish about Jesus.
The "scholar" usually has no standing as a Bible student, theologian, archaeologist, or anything else related to serious religious study.
But that need not hold him back. If he has a job - any job - on a university faculty, his "findings" will be treated respectfully in the press as "scholarly work.""

*to be viewed from the standpoint of the fictitious attempts to avoid the Jesus of the Gospels.

Posted from the TOL App!

TimLutz

Always someone who wants to make a name for themselves gunning for a weak link.

Posted from the TOL App!

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I guess you're not interested in the discussion then? :idunno:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It depends how you are defining time, Stripe. I define time as what is measured by cyclic processes like clocks, atomic emissions, half lives etc. How do you define time, Stripe? You keep avoiding the question. How would you measure time under your conception?Ante up - no definition means you make no sense.:chicken:

Evolutionists hate reading.

gcthomas

Evolutionists hate reading.

Funny: I've looked at your posts back to Sept 2012 and you haven't answered the question in any of them. Care to link so I can read up on your Nobel prize winning Physics developments?

You keep banging on about the 'distance between events', without defining how this 'distance' can be described of measured.

Young Earth creationists love obscuring their meanings. It makes it easier to wriggle out when scrutiny is applied.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sure it was. Watch:
Define space.
Space is the distance between objects.
Define time.
Time is the distance between events.

Perhaps you have definitions that you think are better. :idunno:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you have a better definition for time, let's hear it. :up:

Until then, your nonsense about my not having a definition is just more of you being a troll. :troll:

gcthomas

OK. My definitions for yours.

Distances through space, measured by counting how many standard distance units fit end to end. The standard distance unit can be a physical prototype or the result of an experiment, such that duplicates could be made.

Time-like distances (intervals) are measured by counting how many standard times are needed to fit between the start and end event. The standard times should be well defined and stable, such as the swinging of a pendulum or counting the waves of a monochromatic light source.

Your turn, although I know you don't like being pinned down to anything specific.

YECs hate being specific.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OK. My definitions for yours. Distances through space, measured by counting how many standard distance units fit end to end.
Between what and what?

Time-like distances (intervals) are measured by counting how many standard times are needed to fit between the start and end event.
So, the distance between events then? Sound remarkably familiar. :think:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm glad you agree with the definitions.Now, how are your definitions different? How do you go about defining absolute time and hence measuring it?

I did not define "absolute" time. Just plain ole time.

I reckon we measure time in exactly the same ways: decide on a standard and speak rationally about it.

gcthomas

I did not define "absolute" time. Just plain ole time.

I reckon we measure time in exactly the same ways: decide on a standard and speak rationally about it.

I am happy to define time as what stable clocks measure. How are you defining time? For clarity so we can discuss it rationally. :up:

gcthomas

A device used to measure the distance between events is by definition a clock.

OK.

Here's an example. Imagine two stars explode. They are far apart and both moving relative to each other and to an observer, who judges star A to have exploded before star B, while another observer, moving relative to the first observer, judges star B to have exploded first.

How do you go about deciding which star actually exploded first?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OK.Here's an example. Imagine two stars explode. They are far apart and both moving relative to each other and to an observer, who judges star A to have exploded before star B, while another observer, moving relative to the first observer, judges star B to have exploded first.How do you go about deciding which star actually exploded first?
Assume a constant speed for light, measure the necessary distances and velocities and triangulate.