Standing Up To Jehovah's Witnesses

WeberHome

-
Q: Doesn't the wisdom of Solomon say there is no activity or planning or
knowledge or wisdom in sheol? (Eccl 9:10)

A: When studying the book of Ecclesiastes, it doesn't take long to catch on
that his philosophy is based upon what can be seen through the eyes of
empirical evidence and human experience. In other words: Ecclesiastes is a
worldly view rather than a spiritual view. So, in order to obtain a spiritual
view of reality, one must resort to the revelations of an inspired prophet
rather than the reflections of an educated intellectual.

Jonah 2:1-7 is very tricky. There are actually three prayers mentioned in it.
One was prayed from the belly of the fish, one was prayed from the belly of
sheol, and one was prayed at the point of Jonah's death. Very tricky.

Long story short, Jonah said that sheol is at the bottoms of the mountains.
(Jonah 2:6)

The bottoms of the mountains are not located in the tummy of a fish; they're
located in the depths of the earth.

He also said "As for the earth, its bars were upon me for time indefinite."
(Jonah 2:6)

The bars of a fish are its ribs, the bars of the earth are its mantle.

What I'm getting at is: although sheol probably includes one's grave, it's not
limited to that because while Jonah's body was on ice in the fish's tummy,
he was imprisoned at the bottoms of the mountains.

Christ likened his experience to that of Jonah's.

†. Matt 12:40 . . As Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a
huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart
of the earth.

Christ's corpse wasn't buried in the heart of the earth. It was interred on the
surface of the earth. In point of fact, his grave wasn't even located in the
earth's soil: it was above the soil in a rock-hewn tomb. So then:

Was Jonah in the belly of a fish three days and three nights?

Yes.

Was Jesus Christ in the belly of a tomb three days and three nights?

Yes.

Was Jonah at the bottoms of the mountains?

Yes.

Was Jesus Christ in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights?

Yes.

The only possible means by which all the above could be true for both Jonah
and Jesus Christ, is if the men and their bodies parted company and went
separate ways when they died.

How do I know that Jonah died? Easy.

"you proceeded to bring up my life" is the language of resurrection; but
there's more.

"But out of the pit you proceeded to bring up my life, O Jehovah my God."

The Hebrew word for "pit" sometimes indicates not only a literal hole in the
ground, but also the putrefaction that dead bodies undergo in the grave. For
example Psalm 16:10

"For you will not leave my soul in sheol. You will not allow your loyal one to
see the pit."

Peter applied that passage to Jesus Christ when he said:

"Moreover, even my flesh will reside in hope because you will not leave my
soul in hades, neither will you allow your loyal one to see corruption." (Acts
2:26-27)

According to the wisdom of Solomon, the dead are inactive in sheol and they
have neither knowledge nor wisdom; but Jonah had enough wits about him
in sheol to pray an intelligent prayer.

"I called out of my distress to Yhvh, and He answered me. I cried for help
from the depth of sheol; thou didst hear my voice." (Jonah 2:2)

The apparent contradiction between Solomon and Jonah is easy to resolve
when it's taken into consideration that the book of Ecclesiastes is inspired
philosophy, while the book of Jonah is inspired prophecy.

So then; people have a choice to make. Do they listen to Solomon the
philosopher or do they listen to Jonah the prophet? Abraham recommends
listening to the prophet. (Luke 16:27-31)

Q: You're saying Jonah went to hell?

A: Sheol/Hades essentially identify the afterlife world of the dead; both the
good dead and the bad dead. In point of fact, according to Luke 23:43
Christ's section of hades/sheol was a pleasant situation.

Q: People can pray their way out of sheol?

A: Jonah's circumstances were special. God commissioned him to go and
cry against Nineveh. Long story short, Jonah refused. However; God was
determined to change that man's mind even if He had to kill him to do it.
Well; again, long story short, God won and Jonah-- no doubt grumbling
every step of the way --finally marched off to Nineveh like he was supposed
to do in the first place. And best of all, Jonah's nautical experience became a
very valuable asset for people seriously interested in knowing what to expect
in the afterlife.

Q: So if New York City's sand hogs were to tunnel deep enough into the
earth they'd find sheol/hades?

A: The afterlife isn't physical; it's supernatural. So if the sand hogs were to
tunnel down to the bottoms of the mountains to find sheol/hades they would
fail because the supernatural world is non physical: viz: it cannot be
detected by sight, sound, smell, taste, or touch. In other words: their
tunneling machine could pass right through the very heart of the
netherworld and not even know it.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well so far in this thread--

People are not going to help the JWs with using the same tools they use, and when it comes to personal cleanness of heart they rate that most important, whereas this boards MAD members mainly discount that as being unnecessary.

Tit 2:7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
Tit 2:8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.
Tit 2:9 Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again;
Tit 2:10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.
Tit 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Tit 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

LA

NWL

Coming from a JW, the best way to "stand up" to us would be to know your bible and reason with us using scripture for each point and claim you make.

When I go out to preach I would like nothing more for someone to open their door to me, walk back into their study, pick up their bible and come back to the front door and try to reason from the scriptures with me. That's the only thing that keeps me going when it comes to the ministry that all Christians were commissioned.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You could ask them about their belief that all governments are of the devil,

and how come Daniel was in government.

and about levels of government.

Dan 2:20 Daniel answered and said, Blessed be the name of God for ever and ever: for wisdom and might are his:
Dan 2:21 And he changeth the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding:
Dan 2:22 He revealeth the deep and secret things: he knoweth what is in the darkness, and the light dwelleth with him.

Dan 4:30 The king spake, and said, Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honour of my majesty?
Dan 4:31 While the word was in the king's mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, saying, O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee.
Dan 4:32 And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.

KingdomRose

Here we go again. Weber keeps this little tirade word-for-word wherever he goes. He spouts non-truths non-stop. Why not aim your little fiery darts at Baptists or Catholics or Mormons? Oh no....Weber is all out to slam-dunk JWs. 'Tis a pity.

KingdomRose

I read "Thirty Years a WT Slave" myself many years ago. I found it to be the rantings of a frustrated power-seeker who was outraged that he wasn't given certain privileges. I got nothing out of his book but negativity and depression. A bunch of bunk. "Kingdom of the Cults" is very nasty also. It doesn't portray JWs fairly at all. To read this stuff is a complete waste of time. Why pay attention to that junk that makes a person feel really down? JWs spread the message of good things to come, with God's Kingdom, ruled by Christ Jesus, making the planet into a Paradise and completing Jehovah's plans for the earth.

KingdomRose

They have JW here in the Philippines. The best defense against any cult is knowing your scripture. They were surprised that I knew the order of all the books of the Bible.

Oh, wow. That's pretty good. Now, do you know what they say? And have you actually listened to a JW? You might be surprised at the message.

KingdomRose

Having dealt with them to a good extent, I concur; yours are some most excellent points for the type of setting one needs to both attempt to take charge of, and or establish, as well as to attempt to maintain throughout, towards sharing the gospel of Christ

I've also applied a very similar format when simply sharing the Mystery of Christ with other believers. The above is a must even more so when the individual is a leader or pastor of some sort.

Even then, there is no guarantee, so one might as well not even go for it; simply hold the fort towards being able to present the gospel if that is the issue, or the Mystery when that is.

Once, I got all the way through Ephesians 2's Time Past, But Now, Ages to Come. When I then asked who they understood their Apostle was, they rattled off their pastor's name, lol.

Being that all kinds of "that's not for us" cult like groups are out there, one might as well just have fun with it all; enjoy the opportunity and challenge; that sort of a thing.

So you say JWs don't present the Gospel. That's odd. That is our great commission---to preach the Gospel of the Kingdom throughout the earth. (Matthew 24:14)

What is the Gospel that YOU preach?

KingdomRose

Your points are spot on. I once had a copy of Reasoning From the Scriptures to be able to understand how they twisted and distorted God's Word and to be able to show them it was not what God said from the Scripture. I also had a copy of their perverted translation to be able to show them that Jesus is God, not a god, nor Michael. It can be done right from Isiah. I had also learned to read and translated the Koine Greek for the same reasons. I've also read Kingdom of the Cults way back year ago. I would also suggest to challenge them to read the Bible by itself without reading any of their Watchtower interpretations, nor other people's material. Challenge them to allow God to be their teacher and interpreter as God Himself says that we do not need man to teach us because God is our Teacher. God and His Word says differently than what the Watchtower says.

OK hon. Show ME how JWs distort God's Word. The New World Translation is considered one of the best translations on the planet. You would agree if you did more study and research. Show me how Isaiah says that Jesus is God and that he is not Michael.

I have read the Bible by itself, from Genesis to Revelation, and I did it in a year. God and His Word do not say something different than what the WT says. They follow God's Word so closely they don't even get involved in the world's politics or wars! You can't say that, can you?

So show me how you can prove Jesus is God and Michael is not Jesus' pre-earthly name...from Isaiah no less.

Show me how JWs twist God's Word.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OK hon. Show ME how JWs distort God's Word. The New World Translation is considered one of the best translations on the planet. You would agree if you did more study and research. Show me how Isaiah says that Jesus is God and that he is not Michael.

I have read the Bible by itself, from Genesis to Revelation, and I did it in a year. God and His Word do not say something different than what the WT says. They follow God's Word so closely they don't even get involved in the world's politics or wars! You can't say that, can you?

So show me how you can prove Jesus is God and Michael is not Jesus' pre-earthly name...from Isaiah no less.

Show me how JWs twist God's Word.

Jesus is worshiped by ALL God's angels. No way He can be Michael.

Hebrews 1:5-6 New King James Version (NKJV)

The Son Exalted Above Angels
5 For to which of the angels did He ever say:

“You are My Son,
Today I have begotten You”?[a]
And again:

“I will be to Him a Father,
And He shall be to Me a Son”?
6 But when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says:

“Let all the angels of God worship Him.”[c]

KingdomRose

I agree with a number of the points in the OP. But I think the OP is a little harsh.
I can't speak at all now, but when I could, my plan was firstly to let them talk. Once they've said their piece, they begin to be more relaxed. Then I ask them personal questions which I know they will not have been trained to answer. It is quite eye-opening to see how very insecure they are once outside their prepared spiel. But I try to make them feel relaxed about themselves. I never agree to do studies with them.
As soon as they mention the original Greek text (which they invariably do - as if it makes them sound like they know what they are talking about), I jump on them like a shot. Something like 'Oh do you know ancient Greek? I do and I have a Greek Bible here, let's look at it!' And then they have to admit that they have no knowledge of ancient Greek at all but were only parrotting. I can then dwell on this point and hopefully get them to realise that parrotting is 100% of what they are doing and that they have no personal experiences at all. And of course I would share my own personal experiences.
And yes, semantics is a big issue, which is why it is a good to be well prepared. In the beginning I wasn't well prepared but I soon learnt. I do believe that one lady who visited me subsequently became a major voice against the Watchtower movement. It's important to always be polite and loving. Try also to get them to come back. They might never get another chance to be in the presence of the Holy Spirit.
I only partially agree with Keypurr. Whilst I believe with my whole heart that it is not correct doctrine that qualifies you for salvation, it just so happens that incorrect doctrine can prevent you from obtaining salvation. What a surprise! That is why the NT exhorts us in no uncertain terms to ensure that false teaching is eliminated from the church. These people need salvation, let's not be ambivalent about that.

I don't know who you talked to, but I bet it was just one or two times, and the poor people at your door were probably newbies. The vast majority of JWs I know would be able to carry on an excellent Bible discussion with you, about any topic you preferred. I don't think anyone who has talked to us more than once would say we are "insecure."

And I would talk about your Greek knowledge, even though I don't know Greek. I would have you show me and explain to me why you believe that John 1:1 says that the Word is God when there is no article there. Even I can see there is no article there.

I do commend you for wanting to get us to come back. Your heart is kinder than the guy who tells us to go to hell.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't know who you talked to, but I bet it was just one or two times, and the poor people at your door were probably newbies. The vast majority of JWs I know would be able to carry on an excellent Bible discussion with you, about any topic you preferred. I don't think anyone who has talked to us more than once would say we are "insecure."

And I would talk about your Greek knowledge, even though I don't know Greek. I would have you show me and explain to me why you believe that John 1:1 says that the Word is God when there is no article there. Even I can see there is no article there.

I do commend you for wanting to get us to come back. Your heart is kinder than the guy who tells us to go to hell.

Your interpretation only leads to polytheism.

KingdomRose

Why not show them by the scriptures? They've probably never been shown the gospel that is the power of God to save them. And if you did, just what would you preach as the gospel of their salvation?

What? We LIVE the Gospel! That is our message to people everywhere! Why do you say that we don't know the Gospel?

Jesus said: "This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations: and then shall the end come." (Matthew 24:14, KJV)

Can you tell me what he was talking about? What is "the gospel of the kingdom"?

OCTOBER23

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Mark 9:40 For he that is not against us is on our part.