St. Louis Cardinals - Cardinal Country

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What if the Cubs and Indians play in the Series. Somebody has to win, right? :think:

lol

I was just thinking about that when Cleveland beat Boston.

Cleveland hasn't won a World Series since 1948, and the Cubs haven't even been to the World Series since 1945 (Cubs haven't won World Series since 1908)

So, yes, somebody would have to win.

Right Divider

Body part
lol

Cleveland hasn't won a World Series since 1948, and the Cubs haven't even been to the World Series since 1945 (Cubs haven't won World Series since 1908)

We can just declare it a tie and they both win!

john w

Hall of Fame
Yes sir, Carolina's secondary has not been up to par since they cut Hollister and Bass, who came out of Mayberry High School.

Oh!! You're now our resident John Madden, ain'y ya, Mayor? Why don'you call up Vince Skully, and give him some tips on how to broadcast? I bet he'd get a real kick out of that, squirt.

The Berean

lol

Well, since the Cleveland Cavs broke the Cleveland sports curse...

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Kind of ironic that the Ravens have won two Super Bowls since leaving Cleveland. But I think technically the Ravens are NOT the old Browns. The Ravens are an expansion team.

What about the Rams?

They were the Cleveland Rams from 1936 - 1945.

The 1945 Cleveland Rams won the NFL Championship, but then moved to Los Angeles in 1946.

Can you imagine your team winning the championship, and then leaving town?

Then, five years later, the Cleveland Browns beat the Los Angeles Rams in the 1950 Championship. The Rams still had guys on the team that won the championship in Cleveland. Then the next year the Rams beat the Browns in the Championship.

That's bizarre

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The Cleveland Indians already punched their ticket to the World Series and the Cubs look like they will join the Indians. Cubs up 5-0 tonight so far against Clayton Kershaw -

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Chicago Cubs are in the World Series for the first time since 1945 !!!! Amazing !!

Yes....Amazing.

It's the Indians vs. the Cubs.

Neither team has won a World Series since 1948.

Here's the "bizarre" info:

Theo Epstein is the GM for the Cubs. Epstein was the GM for the Red Sox when they won the World Series in 2004 and broke the "curse of the Bambino".

Terry Francona is the manager of the Indians. Francona was the manager of the Red Sox when they won the World Series in 2004 and broke the "curse of the Bambino".

So....It's Francona vs. Epstein....I wonder how the Red Sox fans feel about that.

Also:

Joe Maddon (the Cubs coach) and Terry Francona (the Indians coach) are both from Pennsylvania.

This World Series matches an NL Central Division team against an AL Central Division team. The last time that happened was 2006 (Cardinals/Tigers), and before that was 1987 (Cardinals/Twins).

Since 1987, East vs. East has happened 8 times, and West vs. West has happened 4 times. So...a Central vs. Central is rare.

The Berean

Tet,

In 1987 there was no Central Division. Back then MLB still had the old East-West divisions. So the 1987 World Series was between the NL East and the AL West.

The Central Division came into existence with the creation of the Wildcard in 1994. Since then only 2005 and 2006 World Series have had two Central Division teams.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TheologyOnline mobile app

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Tet,

In 1987 there was no Central Division. Back then MLB still had the old East-West divisions. So the 1987 World Series was between the NL East and the AL East.

I was going by Central Division teams as of the new current format.

The teams in the current Central divisions of both leagues don't have a history of playing each other in the World Series very often, even if you go back to 1970 when divisions were formed.

A lot of that has to do with the fact that the Cubs, Indians, Pirates, White Sox, Brewers, and Twins haven't been to very many World Series since 1970.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This World Series matches the two teams with the longest World Series droughts.

The Top 10:

107 seasons - Chicago Cubs
67 seasons - Cleveland Indians
55 seasons - Texas Rangers
54 seasons - Houston Astros
47 seasons - Milwaukee Brewers
47 seasons - San Diego Padres
47 seasons - Washington Nationals (formely the Expos)
39 seasons - Seattle Mariners
36 seasons - Pittsburgh Pirates
32 seasons - Baltimore Orioles

So, the winner of this years World Series will "get off the Schneid", the loser will remain at the top of the list, the other teams will all move up a slot, and the Detroit Tigers will join the list (31 seasons).