ECT Speaking in tongues

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Some years ago, I took an honest look at these issues and found I could not hold to them.

For me; it was just a matter of applying what I was already rather good at long before I first encountered these issues.

Ever since childhood, I had always been curious about how things work; about their inner workings.

As a result, I became really good at taking a thing apart as to what sort it is; what its parts are; how they result in the whole...

Applying this skill set to these issues, I found they are the result of a combination of superstitions one looks at things through, unaware that one is doing so, together with one's unawareness of how to examine such things through the Word.

Even many a MADist appears to still hold one superstition or another they have simply either failed to examine; or to examine soundly.

I often do not post much on these superstitions because they only prove the reality, via the resulting emotional backlash such end up resorting to.
That's all fine and dandy.
But I'm still waiting for the names of the MADists here that you suppose hold to superstitions?
Nothing more, nothing less.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Still waiting for someone to explain, if you have a miraculous gift from God specifically intended for unbelievers (1 Cor 14:22), why you do not use it publicly to the edification of the Body and the salvation of the lost. There's got to be a reason but no one has said yet.

If you have the Pentecost-era gift of miraculous languages, post the verifiable evidence so you can SILENCE US ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Nothing needs to be posted. What is the meaning of this verse.

Ephesians 6:18 Amplified Bible (AMP)

18 With all prayer and petition pray [with specific requests] at all times [on every occasion and in every season] in the Spirit, and with this in view, stay alert with all perseverance and petition [interceding in prayer] for all God’s people.

Danoh

That's all fine and dandy.
But I'm still waiting for the names of the MADists here that you suppose hold to superstitions?
Nothing more, nothing less.

Looks like you and I have finally butted heads.

I have observed the above in general over many years - way before I even knew of TOL.

In this, neither one individual or another is the issue.

"The things that differ" principle ever is...

Danoh

18 With all prayer and petition pray [with specific requests] at all times [on every occasion and in every season] in the Spirit, and with this in view, stay alert with all perseverance and petition [interceding in prayer] for all God’s people.

What is YOUR understanding of "in the Spirit"?

And have you examined your understanding in light of "the things that differ"?

andyc

Stop lying against God's Word.

The gift of tongues is intended as a sign from God to be heard by unbelievers, 1 Cor 14:22.

When is the last time you spoke in tongues to an unbeliever?

Paul was quoting Isaiah 28 where God spoke through the babylonians and assyrians in a language the Israelites couldnt understand. This was a sign that Jews had forsaken God's word, and so now he was speaking through people in an uninteligble way that they couldnt understand. Paul likens it to the Jews rejecting Christ, and so now God was speaking uninteligably through his church.

You have totally misunderstood this text, because you are so eager to judge what you dont understand. Speaking in tongues wasn' t meant to be spoken to unbelievers in order for them to understand, it was meant as a sign to unbelieving Jews that God was finished speaking to them. He was now speaking through his body the church.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Looks like you and I have finally butted heads.
Is that how you perceive it?

I have observed the above in general over many years - way before I even knew of TOL.

In this, neither one individual or another is the issue.

"The things that differ" principle ever is...

You made the statement.
I was asking for more detail of who these folks are that you see as holding to superstition.
I don't see me asking for details as "butting heads".

musterion

Brother, if it matters, you are not the reason for the challenge. You are not the one going around trumpeting that he speaks in tongues and daring the rest of us to prove him wrong. You're welcome to respond to it if you wish to but it's not your mouth that needs his money put in it, know what I mean? This is about AndyC (and to a lesser degree Serpent, but that's a dead end if there ever was one).

As for praying in the Spirit, we who are Christ's walk in His Spirit because we're are alive by His Spirit and are sealed with His Spirit. So, since He is now our life, that's what our prayers are -- prayers in the Spirit. As far as I can see, tongues wasn't Paul's point there. If it was, he limited that command ONLY to those who could speak in tongues, yes?

andyc

Brother, if it matters, you are not the reason for the challenge. You are not the one going around trumpeting that he speaks in tongues and daring the rest of us to prove him wrong. You're welcome to respond to it if you wish to but it's not your mouth that needs his money put in it, know what I mean? This is about AndyC (and to a lesser degree Serpent, but that's a dead end if there ever was one).

As for praying in the Spirit, we who are Christ's walk in His Spirit because we're are alive by His Spirit and are sealed with His Spirit. So, since He is now our life, that's what our prayers are -- prayers in the Spirit. As far as I can see, tongues wasn't Paul's point there. If it was, he limited that command ONLY to those who could speak in tongues, yes?

Hypocrite.

Whenever you're losing debates, you drag up speaking in tongues. So now Im making a specific stand for speaking in tongues, you're floundering trying prove that tongues are not for today.

So far you are making a fool out of yourself in this thread.

musterion

Hypocrite.

Whenever you're losing debates, you drag up speaking in tongues.

I don't lose debates to you.

So now Im making a specific stand for speaking in tongues, you're floundering trying prove that tongues are not for today.

Burden of proof was on God that the ones He sent spoke for Him. He delivered, in spades.

Until you offer evidence you really do have the gift FROM GOD, you make Him a liar by saying He's given you something that you conveniently refuse to show.

At this point, no one has any reason to believe HIM because of YOU. Ever think of that?

Besides...unbelievers. Tongues are for them (1 Cor 14:22), not for you. Plenty of unbelievers on TOL who might be impressed by your "gift."

So far you are making a fool out of yourself in this thread.

I'm not the one with something to prove here. You claimed a miraculous gift. Prove you have it or shut up with your blaspheming.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
:idunno: Guess we're not moving on to words of wisdom and words of knowledge (1 Cor. 12:8–10). :sozo2:

Pool-Shot.jpg

andyc

I don't lose debates to you.

Burden of proof was on God that the ones He sent spoke for Him. He delivered, in spades.

Until you offer evidence you really do have the gift FROM GOD, you make Him a liar by saying He's given you something that you conveniently refuse to show.

At this point, no one has any reason to believe HIM because of YOU. Ever think of that?

Besides...unbelievers. Tongues are for them (1 Cor 14:22), not for you. Plenty of unbelievers on TOL who might be impressed by your "gift."

I'm not the one with something to prove here. You claimed a miraculous gift. Prove you have it or shut up with your blaspheming.

This thread is about proving that I have a scritural reason to claim this gift today.

BTW, what did Paul mean when he said, "he who speaks in a tongue edifies himself"?
If someone doesnt understand the tongue they are speaking with, how can they be edified by it?

Good luck with that one.

musterion

Brilliant .

You miss the point. There are reports from missionaries who reported miraculous but blasphemous "tongues" (actual languages) being spoken by those possessed by demons. The missionaries knew the person speaking did not know the language being spoken, but they spoke in it anyway because they were possessed. The speaker didn't know the language. The demon did.

But whether or not those reports are accurate, let's assume someone today had the true gift, speaking by the Holy Spirit. That person could only preach Christ according to the revelation of the mystery (Rom 16:25; Eph 3:8-9). If they did not, that would prove their tongues were demonic counterfeits even if the language spoken in was itself "miraculous" (one they speaker did not know).