Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?

Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?

• Total voters

Nydhogg

You just admitted that it would get thrown out because of being cruel and unusual punishment.

If you admit it's cruel and unusual punishment, you admit it's wrong, or am I missing something?

Silent Hunter

You just admitted that it would get thrown out because of being cruel and unusual punishment.

If you admit it's cruel and unusual punishment, you admit it's wrong, or am I missing something?
You haen't gotten to know MC yet. MC is totally for the death penalty. The more cruel and "unusual" the better. Wait until you read Lighthouse's opinion on the subject; MC is bland by comparison.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame

No, I said "quite possibly" it would be thrown out on those grounds. And then only if it's deemed cruel and unusual as applied to the criminalization of the homosexual act. It doesn't even follow I'd agree with that decision.

You're kinda doing the same thing here as when you asked elsewhere "Is there no limit to God-ordained tyranny and brutality and oppression that you won't happily go along with?" I answered "no" then, though I could have argued the wording (tyranny, brutality, oppression). Instead I simply indicated I'd "go along with" God. If I'd argued all that the whole point would have just been lost.

With all respect, let's agree not to play word games. It'll make it a lot easier for me to answer simply, clearly and honestly.

Nydhogg

"Is there no limit to God-ordained tyranny and brutality and oppression that you won't happily go along with?" I answered "no" then, though I could have argued the wording (tyranny, brutality, oppression). Instead I simply indicated I'd "go along with" God.

There's little need to argue, then. If the Gods themselves asked me to do evil I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't, whatever the cost might be.

My conscience is my own and no authority would ever get me to violate it.

Even if the god of the christians were to be real I would not worship it, because I consider it pure and undiluted evil.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
There's little need to argue, then. If the Gods themselves asked me to do evil I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't, whatever the cost might be.

My conscience is my own and no authority would ever get me to violate it.
Well, me either. Which is why I could have argued your wording. I just didn't, figuring if that really was a sticking point for you that you'd bring it up.

Since you did...yeah, I wouldn't obey any evil command by God either. Not because I hold my own conscience above God's authority but because I hold Him to His own standard. That standard is the reason He's my God.

And, see, we've dropped every point raised so far to go chasing after this now.

Nydhogg

You hold Him to His own standard?

If He were to hold Himself to his own standard he would have damned himself a good number of times.

Ordering enslavement, murder, genocide, oppression, and tyranny. Slaughtering people by the thousands because of minor disobedience. A far stricter and more ruthless tyrant than any tyrant ever. Yeah, a totally good guy.

You sure you hold Him to His standard?

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
You hold Him to His own standard?

If He were to hold Himself to his own standard he would have damned himself a good number of times.

Ordering enslavement, murder, genocide, oppression, and tyranny. Slaughtering people by the thousands because of minor disobedience. A far stricter and more ruthless tyrant than any tyrant ever. Yeah, a totally good guy.

You sure you hold Him to His standard?
Yes, of course. And it's clear you're still holding Him to yours.

Nydhogg

Nope. I'm just holding that he commits many things that he calls abominations and bad things without so much as an afterthought to his own hypocrisy.

No, seriously. Most evil gods in fiction have at least some redeeming qualities.

Why does the Christian God not have any (except for a very selective mercy that seems like a half-baked justification to harm and mock almost everyone else and yet be seen as merciful?)

Last edited:

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Nope. I'm just holding that he commits many things that he calls abominations and bad things without so much as an afterthought to his own hypocrisy.

No, seriously. Most evil gods in fiction have at least some redeeming qualities.

Why does the Christian God not have any (except for a very selective mercy that seems like a half-baked justification to harm and mock almost everyone else and yet be seen as merciful?)
You'll have to show where He's established any standard and then violated it before you can claim hypocrisy. :idunno:

Nydhogg

Coming from a religion that finds submission abject, the slave mentality of some Christians is extremely jarring.
If someone, anyone, anything, human or divine, were to proscribe murder, THEN murder, I'd call it a hypocrite.

It's going to be hard to argue with you, MC. We come from completely different and irreconciliable viewpoints.

Nydhogg

What do you think should be done?

Didn't the NT provide a guideline? IIRC, "from those turn away", which happens to be radically different than "murder all of them".

MC, I'm leaving the argument with you right here. It will lead nowhere.

I am not willing to accept divine sovereignty even for the sake of argument, and you can't find a standard through which a deity could be good or evil.
We'd just keep arguing in circles, so I'm outta this.

Last edited:

Cexistur

Absolutely not. That's complete ********. If we decide to kill homosexuals, why not choose to shoot 16 year old mothers and drug addicts too? Because they're not people? Wrong. They are people, and they have just as many rights as the rest of us.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Absolutely not. That's complete ********. If we decide to kill homosexuals, why not choose to shoot 16 year old mothers and drug addicts too? Because they're not people? Wrong. They are people, and they have just as many rights as the rest of us.
This has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not they are people. They are people. No one is denying that. And 16 year old mothers and drug addicts are not guilty of anything deserving of death as far as those particular acts with which you have identified them go.

Are unborn children people?

Cexistur

This has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not they are people. They are people. No one is denying that. And 16 year old mothers and drug addicts are not guilty of anything deserving of death as far as those particular acts with which you have identified them go.

Are unborn children people?

It does have something to do with this. If people thought "Regardless of sexual orientation, they are people" then this would not even be a thread, it would have been obvious that we all have the same rights.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
It does have something to do with this. If people thought "Regardless of sexual orientation, they are people" then this would not even be a thread, it would have been obvious that we all have the same rights.
I think they are people, regardless of sexual orientation, or activity, or whatever else you may want to call it. I still believe it should be a capital crime to have sex with one of the same gender.

Do you have anything to support your bigoted claims against those who believe it should be a capital crime to have sex with one of the same gender?

BabyChristian

BC, they are different. let's look and see.

What is the first hurdle for dealing with being an alcoholic? You know it is admitting to being an alcoholic and becoming sober. see my point?

Now as to sin; drinking is not sinful, yet drunkenness is sinful. Once all drinking is drunkenness, then drinking is sinful and one must abstain.

I disagree100 %