Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?

Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?

• Total voters

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
You mean, if I was the legally sanctioned executioner of homosexuals.
No, doofus! If you take steps to make it legal, that is what becomes a criminal act punishable by death.

Or are you so exceptionally stupid you didn't get that's what I meant?
I am exceptional! :drum:

Let me reiterate for the brain dead: What would you do if the criminalization of homosexuality to the extent it was a capital crime were enacted into law?
That would never happen because my law would be in place. You guys would be offed (by the state) to set the example. :rip: :wave:

Skavau

MaryContrary said:
Unless that's what they were elected to do.
The NSDAP gained the most votes out of all the parties in the final elections of the Weimar Republic. The Enabling Act was voted through by a parliamentary majority. We do not however describe what happened next as an act of democracy.

The fact remains that you don't want religion to have any part in government. Which is fine, except you can't believe that and embrace democracy so long as any portion of the people are religious people. This is why you trot out the oxymoronic secular democracy, trying to have it both ways. There's just no such thing.
Not wanting to have religion involved in government has nothing to do with the population being religious. The dishonest conflation there in an attempt to smear is as always, noted.

Why are you still not understanding what secularism actually is?

Seriously? You're having trouble with "You, sir, are a moron. Have a nice day." It's intended to get the point across that you're wasting my time by refusing to think. Like, for example, the time I just spent explaining something that should have been obvious.
I'm not Arthur Brain, but it was just a habit of yours I happened to notice. It only makes you come across as snooty if anything, by the way.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
All due respect, you twisted supposed cop, but who cares what you think? I'm not interested in some bigot's opinion, especially one with sexual confusion like yours.

You used some pretty volatile words Fido to describe those that were in favor of putting to death those that are a "disgrace to human nature".

I realize that you "don't care what I think"; I was simply pointing out the mindset of the Founding Fathers (and the laws that they legislated) when it came to a behavior that was (and is still) deemed destestable and an abomination.

Just out of curiousity, if a couple of dozen AIDS infested sodomites had been put to death for spreading their disease through blood banks and the crime of buggery, how many of the 500,000 plus that have died from AIDS in the US alone, might be alive today?

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
And we all know Jefferson didn't have any faults or, um, vast misjudgments related to the times.

If Thomas Jeffeson were the only Founding Father, you might have a point.

Being that he wasn't, let's look at the laws that other Founding Fathers and the populace of the Colonies legislated when it came to the crime of buggery:

That the detestable and abominable vice of buggery [sodomy] . . . shall be from henceforth adjudged felony . . . and that every person being thereof convicted by verdict, confession, or outlawry [unlawful flight to avoid prosecution], shall be hanged by the neck until he or she shall be dead.

NEW YORK

That if any man shall lie with mankind as he lieth with womankind, both of them have committed abomination; they both shall be put to death.

CONNECTICUT

Sodomy . . . shall be punished by imprisonment at hard labour in the penitentiary during the natural life or lives of the person or persons convicted of th[is] detestable crime.

GEORGIA

That if any man shall commit the crime against nature with a man or male child . . . every such offender, being duly convicted thereof in the Supreme Judicial Court, shall be punished by solitary imprisonment for such term not exceeding one year and by confinement afterwards to hard labor for such term not exceeding ten years.

MAINE

That if any person or persons shall commit sodomy . . . he or they so offending or committing any of the said crimes within this province, their counsellors, aiders, comforters, and abettors, being convicted thereof as above said, shall suffer as felons. [And] shall forfeit to the Commonwealth all and singular the lands and tenements, goods and chattels, whereof he or she was seized or possessed at the time . . . at the discretion of the court passing the sentence, not exceeding ten years, in the public gaol or house of correction of the county or city in which the offence shall have been committed and be kept at such labor.

PENNSYLVANIA

[T]he detestable and abominable vice of buggery [sodomy] . . . be from henceforth adjudged felony . . . and that the offenders being hereof convicted by verdict, confession, or outlawry [unlawful flight to avoid prosecution], shall suffer such pains of death and losses and penalties of their goods.

SOUTH CAROLINA

That if any man lieth with mankind as he lieth with a woman, they both shall suffer death."

Up until the time the sodomites intimidated the pencil necks at the American Psychiatric Association into removing buggery from their list of mental disorders, STRICK laws against their degenerate lifestyle were enforced in EVERY State.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Sodomy_laws_in_the_United_States

Isn't it just great to live in a "civilized" society zoo?

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/folsom9lo.jpg

Arthur Brain

Great. Then you reject secular democracy as un-democratic then. Awesome. What were we even arguing about? :liberals:

Your incorrect assumption that I supported anything other than true democracy, not that I actually expected you to acknowledge or apologise for such an unfounded view though. I guess that would be asking just a tad too much for yourself. If you do it again you're blindly ignorant.

What's any of that got to do with anything? :squint:

And, dude, how is this a faulty assumption? I notice you never actually explained why you think this is at all relevant, even when I offered the assumption you're taking exception to here. I'm even forced to ask why this matters, if not for the reason I offered already.

What exactly am I supposed to think you're arguing this irrelevant point for? I can come up with some other explanations, if you like. Maybe you're waiting for me to guess. How about...you predicate what you support based on your estimation of popular support? And, so, can't imagine supporting anything that can't be expected to be popular with others? How about that? Is that it?

That's funny Mary. I notice you never explained for your faulty assumption regarding the above but it doesn't stop you from making such stupid claims without aforethought. So it goes....

It's relevant because if you support both democracy and the laws you advocate then I'm curious as to how you can see such a law getting passed. As far as I can see they'd be mutually exclusive. You're a very small minority so it essentially boils down to which would take priority.
If you could establish such a law it would be at the expense of democracy. So which would you choose if given the choice?

Of course you and the others who are so vocal about the DP for gays could actually form your own party or something and see how far you get? If you were really committed to what you see as better for society?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
No, doofus! If you take steps to make it legal, that is what becomes a criminal act punishable by death.

I am exceptional! :drum:

That would never happen because my law would be in place. You guys would be offed (by the state) to set the example. :rip: :wave:
Idiot.

The entire point of my question was predicated on the event that your law was not in place, you insufferable twit!

Now, stop being such a fag and answer the question.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Not wanting to have religion involved in government has nothing to do with the population being religious. The dishonest conflation there in an attempt to smear is as always, noted.
It also hasn't much to do with grapefruit, nor the price of tea in China. It is, however, undemocratic.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Your incorrect assumption that I supported anything other than true democracy, not that I actually expected you to acknowledge or apologise for such an unfounded view though. I guess that would be asking just a tad too much for yourself. If you do it again you're blindly ignorant.
Hey, maybe I'm wrong. Let's see. Do you support secular democracy? If you do, then I'm right and you reject democracy. Or you're practicing some pretty good doublethink.

If you don't, then yeah, I'm totally wrong and it was an erroneous assumption. So go ahead and confirm that.
That's funny Mary. I notice you never explained for your faulty assumption regarding the above but it doesn't stop you from making such stupid claims without aforethought. So it goes....
You've only just denied it and, I'll point out, still haven't rejected the secular democracy we're still arguing about. So I'm hardly comfortable accepting your claim to supporting democracy just yet.
It's relevant because if you support both democracy and the laws you advocate then I'm curious as to how you can see such a law getting passed. As far as I can see they'd be mutually exclusive. You're a very small minority so it essentially boils down to which would take priority.
And if we continue to advocate for it there's at least some possibility that minority will grow. Enough that it could be passed. Rather the whole point in referring to it as "advocating", rather than, say, "whimsically musing upon".

Not to mention...it doesn't matter. I don't know why this point continues to elude you. If I believe it should be a law, that belief isn't going to change based on whether or not it could ever be expected to. Even if there were absolutely zero possibility of it ever becoming a law, I'd still advocate for it just on principle. This hasn't anything to do with why I argue it here, on this forum, so it's just weird that you keep at this point like it amounts to anything, even after I point out it doesn't amount to anything.
If you could establish such a law it would be at the expense of democracy. So which would you choose if given the choice?
Not necessarily and it doesn't matter anyway.
Of course you and the others who are so vocal about the DP for gays could actually form your own party or something and see how far you get? If you were really committed to what you see as better for society?
Sure, I guess. I've actually got other things on my plate these days, with more relevant RL application to myself and those I work with. This is just an interesting topic for TOL. I don't expect to be running fund-raising for the Homo Sex Death Penalty Party any time soon, nor putting pressure on any existing party to make room for it on their platform. This is somewhere below number 100 on the list of most productive things I can do here in the real world.

It's unfortunate but as it stands now, with the state of homosexuality in our country today, the most productive route is simply cleaning up the mess. Pick 'em up, dust 'em off, get 'em pointed in the right direction. With the homosexuals generally pouring all their efforts into confusing the issue and the heterosexuals being so confused on it...not to mention brainwashed PC masses like you gleefully embracing their confusion...the recovering homos are the only ones that seem to be able to look at the matter objectively at all.

Eventually all those who've gone out from here will do the work that needs to be done. And we're actually beginning to see that already. Maybe later when everyone sees homosexuality for what it is and we all remember why the act was a death penalty crime in just about every civilized nation on the planet, re-instituting the death penalty might be doable.

But, then again, maybe we won't need to. We have resources at our disposable today that didn't really exist until now. It's actually a treatable condition, in a manner of speaking. And we're learning more about it as we go along. So I'm comfortable predicting it may well not be necessary nor even the most productive measure to deal with it. Maybe even within the next couple of decades.

chair

So far 1 out of 4 TOLer's supports the death penalty for homosexuals. A frightening statistic.

Who's the next target after homosexuals? How about adulterers? A lot of those around, if we follow Jesus's view of the topic.

Who should be our role model? Should we follow the lead of Germany in the 40's, or perhaps modern Saudi Arabia?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Either these people don't realize the kind of world they'd create or they're even crazier than I thought. I hope for the most people most are just misled or foolish and not as intensely depraved as my worst fears.

Arthur Brain

Hey, maybe I'm wrong. Let's see. Do you support secular democracy? If you do, then I'm right and you reject democracy. Or you're practicing some pretty good doublethink.

You ARE wrong. Why are you even asking me the question I've flat out denied to you already?! :freak: How could I have explained my position any more clearly than already set out?

If you don't, then yeah, I'm totally wrong and it was an erroneous assumption. So go ahead and confirm that.

I did this a couple of posts ago. If that didn't confirm my position then I'm at a loss as to what else I could have added. In conclusion, you're totally wrong and you did indeed make an erroneous assumption. Are you going to get around to acknowledging that?

You've only just denied it and, I'll point out, still haven't rejected the secular democracy we're still arguing about. So I'm hardly comfortable accepting your claim to supporting democracy just yet.

So what? It's the first time someone's levelled such a silly accusation with no foundation to it. I could care less whether you're 'hardly comfortable' about my claim. You have no basis for accusing me of it in the first place. If you persist further you're just being blindly ignorant or stubbornly refusing yo acknowledge your error. I suspect the latter....

And if we continue to advocate for it there's at least some possibility that minority will grow. Enough that it could be passed. Rather the whole point in referring to it as "advocating", rather than, say, "whimsically musing upon".

Well then, if you are advocating it and not just 'musing' on it, then you and everyone else who actually seriously desires a change in current law would do something about changing it.

Not to mention...it doesn't matter. I don't know why this point continues to elude you. If I believe it should be a law, that belief isn't going to change based on whether or not it could ever be expected to. Even if there were absolutely zero possibility of it ever becoming a law, I'd still advocate for it just on principle. This hasn't anything to do with why I argue it here, on this forum, so it's just weird that you keep at this point like it amounts to anything, even after I point out it doesn't amount to anything.

It's just getting a handle on how serious you actually are on the matter. And the answer is: not very when you get down to it.

Not necessarily and it doesn't matter anyway.

So you think there's a chance that democracy would actually pass such a change in the law then, but fine, whatever.

Sure, I guess. I've actually got other things on my plate these days, with more relevant RL application to myself and those I work with. This is just an interesting topic for TOL. I don't expect to be running fund-raising for the Homo Sex Death Penalty Party any time soon, nor putting pressure on any existing party to make room for it on their platform. This is somewhere below number 100 on the list of most productive things I can do here in the real world.

Below 100? Considering how vocal you are on the subject I'm surprised it's so far down the list. If your attitude reflects the general apathy of those who 'advocate' such changes then you've definitely got no chance of them being passed, democracy or not...:chuckle:

It's unfortunate but as it stands now, with the state of homosexuality in our country today, the most productive route is simply cleaning up the mess. Pick 'em up, dust 'em off, get 'em pointed in the right direction. With the homosexuals generally pouring all their efforts into confusing the issue and the heterosexuals being so confused on it...not to mention brainwashed PC masses like you gleefully embracing their confusion...the recovering homos are the only ones that seem to be able to look at the matter objectively at all.

Brainwashed PC masses? :rotfl: Uh huh Mary. All of us who don't buy into your view haven't actually decided anything on our own and are just blindly following the crowd. :rolleyes: Seriously Mary, that is beyond lame.
Frankly I'm wondering where you get this notion that homosexuals themselves are 'confusing the issue'. What is that even supposed to mean? This is just a load of meaningless rhetoric. One can only presume that the objective 'recovering homos' are the ones that would actually go along with you....and you're hardly an advertisement for objectivity on this subject yourself.

Eventually all those who've gone out from here will do the work that needs to be done. And we're actually beginning to see that already. Maybe later when everyone sees homosexuality for what it is and we all remember why the act was a death penalty crime in just about every civilized nation on the planet, re-instituting the death penalty might be doable.

Which translated means 'everyone seeing homosexuality the same as you do'. You're in cuckoo land if you think that's going to happen. People already see it as none of the government's business. The private consenting lives of adults is nobody else's affair. Our 'civilized' nations once endorsed slavery as acceptable practice once over and I'd have zero wish for such draconian times to reappear thanks.

But, then again, maybe we won't need to. We have resources at our disposable today that didn't really exist until now. It's actually a treatable condition, in a manner of speaking. And we're learning more about it as we go along. So I'm comfortable predicting it may well not be necessary nor even the most productive measure to deal with it. Maybe even within the next couple of decades.

It's an orientation, not a 'condition'. If there are those who are so unhappy with being gay and could get treatment to somehow overcome it then good for them. I can't say I've seen much success in that area though as most admit they still retain the ingrained attraction that defined them as homosexual. Other than that I see the gay community in general leading lives free from intrusion by the state. And a good thing too.

Skavau

Because many of the people represented by that democracy want their religious values represented in government.
I don't understand this comment. If it was to taken literally, then everyone could feel aggrieved. Does the fact that the government doesn't represent exactly what I want mean that it is undemocratic?

People are free to feel that the government should impose their religious beliefs on their own nation. But I support and will always support a secular government that does not impose religious values on its population and that is what it means (in part) to be described as secular. The fact that you still do not get this speaks enough.

PyramidHead

i never thought i would hear people support the systematic annihilation of persons who choose to engage in gay sex until TOL

not that i'm complaining

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
You ARE wrong. Why are you even asking me the question I've flat out denied to you already?! :freak: How could I have explained my position any more clearly than already set out?

I did this a couple of posts ago. If that didn't confirm my position then I'm at a loss as to what else I could have added. In conclusion, you're totally wrong and you did indeed make an erroneous assumption. Are you going to get around to acknowledging that?
Okay. Chill. Sheesh.

It was an erroneous assumption on my part, I admit. I assumed since you jumped to argue that point that you disagreed with it. And with your apparent reluctance to state clearly otherwise I failed to recognize the correction.

If it's really driving you that far up the wall, then I do sincerely apologize. Not that I mind driving you up the wall over something stupid that you believe, but since this isn't necessarily one of those things, then please accept my full and complete retraction.
So what? It's the first time someone's levelled such a silly accusation with no foundation to it. I could care less whether you're 'hardly comfortable' about my claim. You have no basis for accusing me of it in the first place. If you persist further you're just being blindly ignorant or stubbornly refusing yo acknowledge your error. I suspect the latter...
Okay...aren't you the one always whining about me supposedly getting all emotional and ranting all the time? :squint:
Well then, if you are advocating it and not just 'musing' on it, then you and everyone else who actually seriously desires a change in current law would do something about changing it.
I am. I'm advocating for it right here on this forum. And I do so in person out here in the real world when I discuss this topic with other people. That's not enough for you? Well...guess what? I don't have to care. :idunno:
It's just getting a handle on how serious you actually are on the matter. And the answer is: not very when you get down to it.
I think you're just getting a handle of the fact that this topic makes you hysterical and paranoid. Like believing anyone who'd advocate for this must be hunkering down in a bunker somewhere planning to overthrow the government.
So you think there's a chance that democracy would actually pass such a change in the law then, but fine, whatever.
You're actually having trouble with even that concept? There's a chance of any law you can imagine being passed in a democracy. All that's required is enough people wanting it to be. Or enough people just not caring if it is or not.

And you missed the other half of that sentence, where I again reminded you that it's not relevant to my decision to advocate for it here.
Below 100? Considering how vocal you are on the subject I'm surprised it's so far down the list.
Dude. Internet debate forum.

Most of what I do in real life wouldn't garner much debate. I delivered groceries to old people today out of the back of a pickup truck. How'd that go over, do you think? Reckon many folks would want to argue about that? Not to mention most of what I do that might make for good debate, I'm just not willing to share with people like you in the room.
If your attitude reflects the general apathy of those who 'advocate' such changes then you've definitely got no chance of them being passed, democracy or not...:chuckle:
Shrug.
Brainwashed PC masses? :rotfl: Uh huh Mary. All of us who don't buy into your view haven't actually decided anything on our own and are just blindly following the crowd. :rolleyes: Seriously Mary, that is beyond lame.
Stop being such a bigot.

The brainwashed PC masses are people like you, who are incapable of comprehending a wide variety of points long enough to even argue them accurately. Most folks who disagree with me are able to keep the concepts we're debating in mind enough to actually argue them. You're in the minority, doofus.
Frankly I'm wondering where you get this notion that homosexuals themselves are 'confusing the issue'. What is that even supposed to mean? This is just a load of meaningless rhetoric.
:blabla: So which is it? Are you wondering what it means or have you determined it's just a bunch of meaningless rhetoric?

Some examples of "confusing the issue" for you to fail to comprehend:

* Convincing idiots like you that homosexuals are "born that way", to the degree that you're forced to accept heterosexuals are "born that way" just to avoid the obvious contradiction.
* Convincing idiots like you that all the self-destructive behaviors associated with homosexuality are the result of how very sad it is that some people don't accept homosexuality.
* Convincing idiots like you that a homosexual who displays a heterosexual attraction was never a homosexual in the first place. Despite the fact that the vast majority of homosexuals have had, are having or will sooner or later have, heterosexual relationships and attractions.

I could go on but that's probably enough to make your head explode right there.
One can only presume that the objective 'recovering homos' are the ones that would actually go along with you...
:blabla:
...and you're hardly an advertisement for objectivity on this subject yourself.
Show me where I'm not objective. I can show you where you aren't...
Which translated means 'everyone seeing homosexuality the same as you do'.
For example.
You're in cuckoo land if you think that's going to happen.
It's already happening. The APA has pulled back from teetering on the brink of accepting homosexuals are born with a fixed sexual orientation and has actually backed off the position that sexual orientation is even immutable as well. It's becoming more widely recognized by the public that homosexuals can and do change orientation or at least are capable of healthy heterosexual relationships, where that was unthinkable even a few years ago. Violence in lesbian relationships is beginning to garner serious research, whereas even recognize such has been taboo up until now.

I could go on and on. Just about every hard line position has wavered and collapsed in the last ten or so years, allowing serious research and reassessment in many areas where there was no such before. Because homosexuals who've come out of the lifestyle have stood strong and pushed through the scorn and denial that's been heaped on them during all that time. Enough that everyone who isn't a brainwashed sheeple has blinked and started taking a serious look at them and what they represent. Enough that even homosexuals have given up denying these things, leaving folks like you stuck on old talking points that aren't relevant anymore.

I'll go ahead and predict that in about five years...maybe less...if you're still around...you'll probably be here pretending you never believed any of that stuff. Because there won't be anyone telling you to believe it.
People already see it as none of the government's business. The private consenting lives of adults is nobody else's affair.
That'll change when how destructive it is becomes apparent to a few more people.
Our 'civilized' nations once endorsed slavery as acceptable practice once over and I'd have zero wish for such draconian times to reappear thanks.
Yawn.
It's an orientation, not a 'condition'. If there are those who are so unhappy with being gay and could get treatment to somehow overcome it then good for them. I can't say I've seen much success in that area though as most admit they still retain the ingrained attraction that defined them as homosexual.
Then you have an odd standard of "success", don't you?
Other than that I see the gay community in general leading lives free from intrusion by the state. And a good thing too.
Why? If it's as destructive as I've been saying it is, then that's not a good thing. A relatively large portion of the populace (7.7% to 13.95% for men and 4% to 7.5% for women with the averages being 9.37% for men and 4.87% for women) exhibiting drastically higher morbidity rates overall, drastically higher risk behavior for disease (and not just AIDS, doofus, so spare me), mental disorders of all sorts, suicide, alcohol/drug abuse, criminal behavior, promiscuity, domestic violence, etc, etc, etc.

No government intervention. And you say that's a good thing. I'd say that's debatable. When I look at the numbers there I would wonder why in the world the government isn't intervening there, if I didn't already know it's because of people like you.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I don't understand this comment. If it was to taken literally, then everyone could feel aggrieved. Does the fact that the government doesn't represent exactly what I want mean that it is undemocratic?

People are free to feel that the government should impose their religious beliefs on their own nation. But I support and will always support a secular government that does not impose religious values on its population and that is what it means (in part) to be described as secular. The fact that you still do not get this speaks enough.
Secular democracy is undemocratic and thus oxymoronic. What you want (secular democracy) is undemocratic. What you support (secular democracy) is undemocratic.

Seriously. You're passing up Arthur Brainless in the "Who's the Biggest Bonehead" contest. This is reaching ridiculous levels of thick headedness. I'm actually a little amazed.