Should governments execute murderers?

Should governments execute murderers?

• OTHER - Explain below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Army of One

Granite said:
Historically I'd favor a firing squad or hanging (done properly). Both methods provide as much swiftness as possible without much of the mob mentality grotesquerie associated with, say, beating people to death with rocks. The intent is to execute as quickly as possible with the minimum amount of fuss and pain. Clean, simple. Lethal injection has too much going against it and the medical sterility of the procedure definitely rubs me the wrong way; don't even get me going on the gas chamber. The electric chair has too much disastrous fubar potential to be considered reliable...and as for beheading, the French Revolutionaries and Nazis were the last to use the guillotine. Not good company to keep for such a notorious device.

Which leaves us the squad, and the gallows.
I also think a firing squad or the gallows would be an acceptable method of executing capital offenders, but I really don't have a problem with the guillotine either. I think each method should be evaluated on its own merits, instead of being judged in light of who else has used such a method (which seems to be one of the problems you have with the guillotine and stoning). If you're going to rule out a method just because of the negative association it has with certain groups, why not rule out the gallows because of it's association with the KKK, or rule out the firing squads because of its association with Castro and Guevara in Cuba?

I agree that the electric chair is not an ideal option. When it works as intended, I don't have a problem with it, but far too often it seems to be anything but predictable.

Aimiel

Real Sorceror said:
Guys on death row get cable!?:noway: Many normal, tax-paying citizens dont have cable. WT*?
In the rural areas where most prisons are built, especially state and federal institutions, FM and UHF broadcast channels just don't reach. They most likely have a satellite receiver and bring that signal to the inmates cells on cable.

Aimiel

Allright heathens. I stand corrected. Thank you, those of you heathens, with a little sense. :chuckle:

Real Sorceror

branflakes said:
I am not a believer and I do not support the death penalty.
Welcome to TOL, you sneaky little blighter ;)
I noticed your tag says "One Post Wonder". You arent really going tp live up to that are you? We'd love it if you stick around.

Evee

Dread Helm said:
You mean beyond a reasonable doubt right?
Yeah what can I say I am a hick.
Have you never heard * Not a shadow of doubt*, meaning certainity, absolute certainity.
Well anyway I am sometimes for the death penalty and sometimes not.
It depends on a lot of circumstances.

Kass

Too many people have been wrongly convicted of capital crimes they did not commit for me to support the death penalty in any case ever. Just check out the innocents who made it to death row in Illinois or the movie The Thin Blue Line by Errol Morris sometime.

Real Sorceror

Real Sorceror said:
Welcome to TOL, you sneaky little blighter ;)
I noticed your tag says "One Post Wonder". You arent really going to live up to that are you? We'd love it if you stick around.
Wow.......I guess branflakes really was serious about the "One Post Wonder" thing........:noid:

Evee

Kass said:
Too many people have been wrongly convicted of capital crimes they did not commit for me to support the death penalty in any case ever. Just check out the innocents who made it to death row in Illinois or the movie The Thin Blue Line by Errol Morris sometime.
Yes that does happen so it is hard to fully support the death penalty.