Shots fired near Cal Sate University Northridge; students receiving reverse 911 calls

Granite

Hall of Fame
Me? Nebraska ... rural Nebraska ... in a town that *might* have 1500 people.

Nope, the police would not get here in time to stop an intruder.

:chuckle:

In other words, a pretty darn safe part of a pretty darn safe country.

Maybe the more interesting subject--beyond the bizarre I Wanna Be a Superhero fantasies so many folks have of killing an intruder graveyard dead--is the examination of why so many Americans who are so very safe act and sound so utterly, completely terrified.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:chuckle:

In other words, a pretty darn safe part of a pretty darn safe country.

Maybe the more interesting subject--beyond the bizarre I Wanna Be a Superhero fantasies so many folks have of killing an intruder graveyard dead--is the examination of why so many Americans who are so very safe act and sound so utterly, completely terrified.

That's just it ... I am not terrified. I am also hopeful that no one will ever break into my home.

I am just realistic and know that I have little to no chance of fighting off an attacker and my preference is that if someone is to leave in a body bag, it's the person who didn't belong here.

jeffblue101

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/425004/mass-shootings-gun-ownership-common-sense-fallacy

President Obama and others who never tire of using these horrible occasions to call for “commonsense” gun regulations. Our Conscience-in-Chief believes “common-sense gun safety laws” can stop these tragedies, and his strategy is once again to essentially blame such acts on people who oppose his “common sense” and, in particular, on the NRA. Few shibboleths are as vacuous as the call for “common sense.” The implication is that such things are easy to stop and that, if Obama were king for a day, with no dullards standing in his way, then he could stop it.....

But all of that is just policymaking in fantasy land until you accept that there are 300 million guns in America. And, in case you haven’t noticed, America is not Japan.

Perhaps you think all guns should be confiscated. Okay, tell us how you will do that without stormtroopers roaming the country systematically violating our Fourth Amendment rights in a way that makes Donald Trump’s call for the mass deportation of illegal immigrants look like taking a census.

Or perhaps President Obama’s moral exhortations will work wonders on the American psyche and over the next two months an astounding 90 percent of American firearms are turned over to the government. That still leaves 30 million guns in private hands, and you can imagine how law-abiding those who didn’t turn in their weapons are.

Perhaps you think that all guns should be registered and licensed. Again, explain how you will do that without a battalion of stormtroopers kicking down doors. Sure, some people will voluntarily register their guns, but they are unlikely to be criminals or would-be mass shooters. Canada tried to register guns and eventually gave up. New York’s attempt to register “assault weapons” has been a glorious failure.

Or let’s talk about “commonsense” restrictions like “universal background checks” and whether they can stop mass shootings. Colorado is trying “universal background checks,” and of a predicted 420,000 checks, they’ve carried only out 13,600. Oregon’s universal-background-check system, which went into effect in August, is also off to a shaky start.

Unfortunately, mass shooters look an awful lot like normal, law-abiding gun owners before they commit their atrocities. And highly motivated
, would-be mass shooters would be unlikely to subject themselves to increased screenings when obtaining guns illegally is relatively easy.

Mass shootings should not be the centerpiece of gun-control policy. Mass shooters are motivated, difficult to detect, and commit only a tiny fraction of gun violence in America. Pretending that stopping these psychopaths is a matter of passing “commonsense” laws is just moral grandstanding for cheap political points. If all that is keeping us from being mass-shooter-free is failure to heed the suggestions of Obama and other champions of “common sense,” then I invite them to try — and then to take personal responsibility for every one that they miss.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
It may surprise you to know that doesn't happen every day and I don't live in fear of that eventuality.

Statistically I am a lot safer in a society where we allow the police to get on with it, than the grab a gun and do it yourself security society you seem to have.

If I do have someone break into the house and try to kill us the chances of them being armed with a gun are extremely low, we are equally balanced in terms of weapons and the situation is a lot less likely to be fatal for any party.

It may surprise you that it happened in mine when i was a child. The police took over an hour to get there and then they finally came after my mothers 3rd call, telling them the last call that if they (the burglar) made into the house, my father was going to kill them.

Granite

Hall of Fame
That's just it ... I am not terrified. I am also hopeful that no one will ever break into my home.

I am just realistic and know that I have little to no chance of fighting off an attacker and my preference is that if someone is to leave in a body bag, it's the person who didn't belong here.

Which means you know the odds are you'll be perfectly fine and not the victim of a crime. Look, I get it, okay? There's absolutely nothing whatsoever that's going to get through and the "yeah but" is a pretty impenetrable wall. (You might even call it bulletproof, he said knowingly.)

Sooner or later the argument really boils down to "I just want a gun." Case by case, individual to individual, this is fine. Unfortunately, when you have 300 million of these things floating around, "I just wanna" is no longer good enough. We're not talking mopeds or pinecar derby or soccer balls or DIY drones. We're not merely talking about some harmless hobby. We're not talking about an erudite citizenry who've trained since youth in a military tradition and who treat firearms with the reserve and maturity necessary. We're talking about a country filled largely with poorly-educated nincompoops who suffer from a major impulse control problem. And they get to buy all the cheap, sweet ammo and cheap, efficient Gulture deathware they like.

The best you can do is hem and haw about some basic regulations and then add "But it won't make anyone happy, so forget it." No. No. Not good enough anymore.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Sooner or later the argument really boils down "I just want a gun." Case by case, individual to individual, this is fine. Unfortunately, when you have 300 million of these things floating around, "I just wanna" is no longer good enough.

When will you be giving yours up and was that the reason you got yours?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
True, physically. But it's more likely to kill or wound someone who lives in the home than it is to kill or disable an intruder.
The question that might be asked is why. I live in a small town. We don't have police. The nearest police is twenty minutes or so away, absent some roaming county happening by...now I grew up where we took responsible use of our guns seriously. And everyone in the outlying area understands people where I live own and are proficient with weapons. In my lifetime no home has been robbed or a soul harmed anyone a weapon.

Would it be true without them? Possibly, but I can recall one night when I was a child someone approaching our home under the cover of darkness only to be met by a my mother and brother, shotguns armed. Neighbors were called and the fellow found his way out from among us without anyone coming to harm. Was he lost? I don't know. But if he wasn't and with my father away...

bybee

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the United States.

The United States of America is so much more than you give it credit for. Interesting that the USA entered into two World Wars to save freedom for countries other than their own. Part of our willingness to stand up and be counted in time of need was the belief in each man's right to defend himself and his own loved one's.
I don't approve of assault weapons and armaments meant for the military to be in individual hands. But, anything can and is used as a weapon.
Are you seriously judging a whole nation of fine human beings on the actions of criminals and lunatics?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The United States of America is so much more than you give it credit for. Interesting that the USA entered into two World Wars to save freedom for countries other than their own. Part of our willingness to stand up and be counted in time of need was the belief in each man's right to defend himself and his own loved one's.
I don't approve of assault weapons and armaments meant for the military to be in individual hands. But, anything can and is used as a weapon.
Are you seriously judging a whole nation of fine human beings on the actions of criminals and lunatics?

:popcorn:

Granite

Hall of Fame

Subject for another thread.

This Charming Manc

10387462_773089182726543_8370823349900418606_n.jpg

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

Which of the two categories are you in?...Or have you sold your Glock? :plain:

Granite

Hall of Fame
If we had a Constitutional Convention, we should set up votes like a reality TV show. Vote for your favorite fundamental rights on Twitter!

Hey, we're close enough. Every four years we vote to keep someone on the island or toss 'em off.:chuckle: