Sexual Orientation is not a Choice

glassjester

Sexual orientation can't be chosen, because sexual orientation does not exist. The concept wasn't even invented until relatively recently.

Partner preferences do exist. Partner preferences include just about every physical and personal trait a person could have.

Partner preferences are formed by our own actions and our own choices. Our preference in partners equate to our "taste in people."

In this sense, our taste in people is no different from taste in music, taste in art, taste in literature, and taste in food.

Our tastes are shaped by our own choices and actions. Taste in partners is no exception. We choose what music to listen to, what books to read, and what food to eat.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sexual orientation can't be chosen, because sexual orientation does not exist. The concept wasn't even invented until relatively recently.

Partner preferences do exist.

That's interesting. I knew by the age of five what my *partner preference* was.

So anyways, is your solution for gays to remain celibate and alone or marry someone of the opposite sex so they will both live in misery?

HisServant

That's interesting. I knew by the age of five what my *partner preference* was.

So anyways, is your solution for gays to remain celibate and alone or marry someone of the opposite sex so they will both live in misery?

Celibate and alone is much more preferable to be married to the wrong partner.... I know this from an experience of 22 years with the wrong person. Suicide was definitely in the picture for a long time because divorce was never in the picture.... then she left and freed me from bondage.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And at what age were you taught that this was immutable?

I wasn't. The discussion never came up. Homosexuality was not the main focus of any of the churches I attended.

I was responding to your claim. I can only attest to my own experience ... which disagrees with your claim of choice.

Just because a homosexual makes a decision to remain celibate doesn't make them less gay.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
We all have desires and preferences. But not all our desires and preferences are good or righteous and some of them will be the exact opposite of good.
The issue is not about those preferences. It is about self-discipline. The assumption in the question is that if our desires are innate or at least not consciously chosen, then they must be ok. This is the false assumption of modern day perverts who want to foist their perversion onto normal people.

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Celibate and alone is much more preferable to be married to the wrong partner.... I know this from an experience of 22 years with the wrong person. Suicide was definitely in the picture for a long time because divorce was never in the picture.... then she left and freed me from bondage.

But that is entirely different. I am assuming you were attracted to women and are still attracted to women today. There is nothing wrong if you decided you prefer to be alone.

The difference is that homosexuals who do not wish to be alone are being told by outsiders they should either remain alone and celibate unless they wish to marry someone who not be their marriage partner of choice.

Selaphiel

Not sure I follow the logic here. How do you know it was invented and not rather discovered and/or understood? Everything we know was discovered at some point.

That it is social conditioning is of course possible. But considering the relatively common of occurence of homosexuality in the animal kingdom as well as theories of evolutionary advantages of having, at least male, homosexual relatives (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1691850/ and http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0002282)

glassjester

Nope ... I like what I like. My taste buds and preferences in entertainment have not changed in over 40 years.

Not changing doesn't mean not chosen.

You still choose which tastes to encourage and appease.

Your taste in music hasn't been formed by your own choices?

PureX

Our tastes are shaped by our own choices and actions. Taste in partners is no exception. We choose what music to listen to, what books to read, and what food to eat.
I disagree. And I'll give an example as a way of explaining myself.

I am a recovered alcoholic. And I was born with a genetic predisposition to become addicted to alcohol. I know this from personal experience, and from having discussed the subject many times with many other people, both alcoholic and not-alcoholic. My genetic predisposition manifests in the way my brain processes and 'experiences' alcohol. My brain experiences the effect of alcohol in my system as a kind of euphoria. I feel an intense sense of freedom, and creativity, and joy when I drink, and it begins with just one drink. And that sensation is so strong that it makes being sober pale in comparison. The first time I drank alcohol I got drunk because one drink made me feel really good, and my mind immediately presumed that a second drink would make me feel that much better. And it did. So I immediately fell in love with the idea and the feeing of being drunk. And from then on I wanted to do it again. And again and again.

Most other people's brains do not react to alcohol the way mine does, or does not react to it nearly as intensely as mine does. In fact, I have known several women over the years who couldn't get drunk at all, no matter how much alcohol they drink. For some reason, their brains simply did not process alcohol in the way most of the rest of our brains do.

You would say I had a choice whether or not to become an alcoholic. But I don't believe I had a choice. At the time I first began to drink, I was too young to understand or care about the consequences of what I was feeling and what I was doing in response to it. And by the time I was old enough to get some sense of the danger I was in, it was too late. I was already fully addicted. By the time I tried to stop drinking I couldn't stop, even for 24 hours.

We humans are not nearly as "in charge" of our thoughts and our feelings and our actions as we tent to imagine ourselves to be because much of who we are has been pre-programmed into us by our genetic histories, through the physical structures of our brains, and by our circumstantial histories and the concepts of reality that we have come to hold as a result of our experiences.

Some people engage in homosexual behavior because they want to, and they chose to. But many do so because they are inclined by their physical natures to do so. And they really don't have much, or sometimes even any, choice in it.

It was extremely difficult for me to stop drinking alcohol, and I have to avoid it completely, now, if I want to stay sober, healthy and alive. I cannot choose to have a drink or two and then stop like most other people can. One drink could very easily send me into an alcoholic binge that would last the rest of my life.

Until you have experience such a loss of self-control, it's difficult to appreciate how it can occur. But I assure you that it can and does occur, and it effects a great many different human behaviors, including sexual behavior.

Human nature is far more complex and powerful that I think you realize.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not changing doesn't mean not chosen.

You still choose which tastes to encourage and appease.

Nope ... if I hate the taste of something, I do not eat it. IF something is bad for me, but I still like the taste,I choose not to eat it. IF someone insists something is bad for me, their insistence has no influence on my taste buds.

Your taste in music hasn't been formed by your own choices?

No. I don't pick and choose what I like. I DO, however, pick and choose what I listen to.

Last edited:

glassjester

Even a chemical dependence can be changed by the choices you make.

All of our tastes are authored by ourselves.

glassjester

No. I don't pick and choose what I like. I DO, however, pick and choose what I listen to.

And you truly believe these choices have no effect on your taste in music? Your taste in music hasn't developed over time?

Every song you like now, you would have liked when you were 5 years old?

PureX

You chose to stop drinking.
I was not able to choose to stop drinking, and stop. I had to have a great deal of help. I chose to accept that help, and follow directions. I didn't choose to stop drinking, because I couldn't.

I realize this is difficult for you to understand if you have not experienced it, yourself. But it is true.

And what is also true is that many of the people I've known over the years who wanted to stop drinking just as badly as I did, were not able to. They died, and will die, drunk.