Server troubles...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
OK... so my tech guys made a somewhat major discovery as to what they think was the culprit.

So... lets see what happens tonight and the rest of this week.

:up:

C

cattyfan

Ya know, Knight, I'm considering retaining an attorney and suing TOL for all the undue stress and mental anguish the faulty server has been causing me. :chuckle:

SOTK

Originally posted by Knight

OK... so my tech guys made a somewhat major discovery as to what they think was the culprit.

So... lets see what happens tonight and the rest of this week.

:up:

:thumb:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by cattyfan

Ya know, Knight, I'm considering retaining an attorney and suing TOL for all the undue stress and mental anguish the faulty server has been causing me. :chuckle:
Doesn't that come under the category of "blood from a turnip"?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Greywolf

Knight, did they tell you what they thought was wrong with the server?
Yes....

Apparently there was a cron job set to back up my database every night at 7PM. (obviously bad timing)

But the REALproblem was.....

The job was set to run every minute for an hour. Yet the job took much longer than a minute to complete therefore it would run on top of itself more and more as the server began to slow from the effects of the script. Eventually the script would consume all the power of the processor (and then some) and our site would shut down.

How and why this script was set to run the way it was is still a mystery. :noid: The only thing I know is I certainly didn't set up this script.

The script has been disabled entirely (the database gets backed up at a different time now and in a different way).

the Sibbie

I wonder if Jay is feeling a little blue.

Yeah, I know...that was a sad attempt at a pun.:doh:

Last edited:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

TOL sent Jay walking.
TOL promotes jay walking? :shocked:

Lucky

Hall of Fame

Apparently there was a cron job set...
:eek:

Tell them techs they need to spend less time on slashdot and more time keeping the server in tune!

Big Finn

Knight,

If today is any indication as to whether or not the problem is fixed, well, today I can actually reach the forum and it is responding much faster than it ever has.

I normally have had to wait for this site to respond quite a while. The site start page now starts loading within 1 second or so. Before(even before you moved the site to the new provider/server), using a packet sniffer to watch traffic, TOL would have a latency of around 4 or 5 second from the time I first contacted it until the web server would actually respond to the GET request.

Performance is greatly improved. :thumb:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Big Finn

Knight,

If today is any indication as to whether or not the problem is fixed, well, today I can actually reach the forum and it is responding much faster than it ever has.

I normally have had to wait for this site to respond quite a while. The site start page now starts loading within 1 second or so. Before(even before you moved the site to the new provider/server), using a packet sniffer to watch traffic, TOL would have a latency of around 4 or 5 second from the time I first contacted it until the web server would actually respond to the GET request.

Performance is greatly improved. :thumb:
That's good news indeed.

I feel really good about the problem being fixed.

But I want to see how this week goes before I get too excited.

I would love to hear from the rest of you as to how you feel the performance of the site is now.