Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Sam Alito: To Die For

Monday October 31st, 2005. This is show # 216.

PERTINENT QUOTE OF THE SHOW:
We have now a new Supreme Court nominee, Samuel Alito. And according to one of the first articles out by the Associated Press, Sam Alito ruled in 2000 that a New Jersey law banning late-term abortions was unconstitutional. And that he put his signature to a decision with the majority there following Supreme Court precedent. So that makes Sam Alito a legal positivist which means that he elevates law above God, he elevates process above God. Thou shalt not murder is not part of a prevailing moral foundation that Samuel Alito has. And it's my guess that many of our Christian national ministries will support him.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Just like I said before, a pro-abort / pro-homsexual judge who could give a rip about right and wrong.:madmad: He will however, worship at the alter of "proccess"

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
From NewsMax:

Just Who Is Judge Alito?

With Judge Alito's nomination to the Supreme Court, the President did what he promised to do. He nominated a judge in the mold of Justices Scalia and Thomas.

Someone with a proven record of putting the Constitution first. And someone who understands that judges are supposed to carefully consider the law and the facts, not legislate from the bench.

He certainly understands the proper ?and limited ? role of a judge, and he's a distinguished and experienced federal appeals court judge to boot.

As Assistant to the Solicitor General, he argued at least a dozen cases before the Supreme Court. And, he's logged 15 years on the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals, where he has written more than 300 opinions.

In fact, he's had more experience on a Court of Appeals than any Supreme Court nominee in 70 years!

And he's left a paper trail that stretches from Philadelphia to Washington ? a record of fairness and insight that shows he values the Constitution.

Like Scalia and Thomas, he has been true to his judicial principles, and true to the Constitution - even when that meant he had to stand alone.

In short, he's the man we expected President Bush to nominate. And now we have to fight for the President's courageous choice.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
BillyBob said:
In short, he's the man we expected President Bush to nominate. And now we have to fight for the President's courageous choice.
Courageous choice? A courageous choice would have been to nominate someone who boldly declares that it his goal to overturn Roe v. Wade.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Jefferson said:
Courageous choice? A courageous choice would have been to nominate someone who boldly declares that it his goal to overturn Roe v. Wade.

So true, so true!

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
If you guys wanna make abortions illegal, do it the right way and force you Representatives to pass legislation declaring abortions illegal.

dale

Jefferson said:
... A courageous choice would have been to nominate someone who boldly declares that it his goal to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Does such a choice even exist? Is there some kind of publication that lists all judges and their respective positions on particular issues? Rather than just arguing aginst whoever is nominated, maybe someone could suggest an actual person.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
BillyBob said:
If you guys wanna make abortions illegal, do it the right way and force you Representatives to pass legislation declaring abortions illegal.
Since Roe v Wade that would take a constitutional amendment. I would vote to ratify it but it ain't ever going to happen!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
dale said:
Does such a choice even exist? Is there some kind of publication that lists all judges and their respective positions on particular issues? Rather than just arguing aginst whoever is nominated, maybe someone could suggest an actual person.

I nominate Crow!

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
He's my Kid!

He's my Kid!

deardelmar said:
I nominate Crow!
I nominate my 4 year old. He knows murdering babies is wrong and that kidnappers should be Killed by the government! No exceptions and no mercy. He's a great kid and highly qualified.

Hitler's judges were strict constructionists and original intenters.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
CRASH said:
I nominate my 4 year old. He knows murdering babies is wrong and that kidnappers should be Killed by the government! No exceptions and no mercy. He's a great kid and highly qualified.

Hitler's judges were strict constructionists and original intenters.
talk about somone who could be on the court for a long time!

Jefferson said:

Roe v. Wade is grossly overrated. Even if overturned, only a maximum of 10% of the nations' clinics will be affected. Maybe 20 states will vote to ban abortion in the aftermath of a Roe overturn.

Plus, the Republicans will NEVER allow Roe to be overturned. They depend on it to 1.) Keep abortion legal, and thus have a tool with which to mobilize their base and 2.) To blame Democrats for abortion at the same time. They will never give the Dems such a valuable political gift as overturning Roe.

Not to mention there are pro choice people who support the overturn of Roe. Scalia seems to be one of them, as he has indicated in the past that while he feels abortion should be generally legal, it should be a matter left to the States.

I actually rather like Alito. Seems to be well qualified.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
It's funny how some of you guys immediately assume that Alito is pro abortion and at the same time the lefties are certain he is absolutely against abortion. They even asked his 90 year old Mother and she confirmed it.

You can't both be right! :doh:

drbrumley

BillyBob said:
Bush nominated a strict Constitutionalist, what more could you ask for? :doh:
:rotfl:

Then I suppose Dred Scott was ok in your book right? I mean, they were "strict constructionists" right. Never freaking mind that owning a black man without the black man doing anything is immoral.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Roe v. Wade is grossly overrated. Even if overturned, only a maximum of 10% of the nations' clinics will be affected. Maybe 20 states will vote to ban abortion in the aftermath of a Roe overturn.

Plus, the Republicans will NEVER allow Roe to be overturned. They depend on it to 1.) Keep abortion legal, and thus have a tool with which to mobilize their base and 2.) To blame Democrats for abortion at the same time. They will never give the Dems such a valuable political gift as overturning Roe.

Not to mention there are pro choice people who support the overturn of Roe. Scalia seems to be one of them, as he has indicated in the past that while he feels abortion should be generally legal, it should be a matter left to the States.

I actually rather like Alito. Seems to be well qualified.

Same here. I don't understand what the deal is with some conservatives here. Who, exactly, would fit the bill? I'm tired of this Robert Bork Clone crap.

drbrumley

BillyBob said:
It's funny how some of you guys immediately assume that Alito is pro abortion and at the same time the lefties are certain he is absolutely against abortion. They even asked his 90 year old Mother and she confirmed it.

You can't both be right! :doh:

I agree with that. Why the domocrats oppose a pro abort is beyond me. Oh I know, it is ONLY because a REPUBLICAN President did the nominating.

Status
Not open for further replies.