Sacral aestheticism or theology of beauty?

MatixLazega

Is it about divine order in aesthetic values?

If you can answer this question then maybe you can help me.

I'm art student at art univerisity on painting faculity in Poland and right now I have this classes called "painting in architecture". One of our tasks is to choose bulding and make project of it's elevation and it's surroundings. I choosed a catolic church bulding. During my work I occured a problem that I don't know what kind of directives rule the way I should make this elevation. I started looking and found some literature but not really touching the real subiect. I was hoping there would be someone here who could point me titles taking this problem really serious and in comprehesive way.

So, is there such person? It's really hard for me because i'm not native english speaker and I find it hard to search for such positions in English. I would have no problem understanding them but when I try to use my english it comes really hard for me.

I hope that my question is clear.

Kind regards,
ML

jsanford108

It would be best for you to research the specific history of the building you chose. Various basilicas and churches have a variety of histories, which influence the current art found within. As far as structural art, it is best to find the history of the decade in which it was built.

For example, St Marks Cathedral in Venice. The art on the outside depicts the story of the Venicians retrieving the body of St Mark. The sculptures depict what was current trends at the time of its founding and building. Influences are Western. Hints of Italian, Roman, and Greek can be found.

Does this make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using TOL