RSR: Eyewitnesses Not Needed for Execution

AveryE

Hi, I love the RSR program my favorite creation radio show,

In this latest program Bob went into some application of the the Bible to criminal justice. Which is cool but there are couple of things that I think he mentioned as "the" Biblical way or God's preferred ways that i think at least are debatable.

I'll only mention one here.

near the end of the program Bob says something along the line of. (not a direct quote but the jist) ---God would rather have us , at the end of the year, condemn 10 innocent people and release 10 guilty people , in our honest pursuit of Justice. Than have a system that allows 10 guilty go free in an attempt to save more innocent. God hates when the guilty go free and he hates when the innocent are condemned.--

OK, I'd Agree 100% that God hates Both.
And as humans, sadly, we will make mistakes.
But i don't think the idea that God is PRIMARILY and OVERALL is looking for our JUSTICE. the very reason we have a hope of heaven is not Justice 1st it's Love and Mercy to the guilty.

One of 1st things that comes to mind here is Jesus's parable of the King and the man that owed the a million bucks. the King... The JUDGE... showed Mercy, was it wrong to show mercy?
If you take Bob at face value it is wrong.
Moses was a murderer, God never had him Pay for that crime, So was Paul, David a murderer and adulterer, none of them got JUSTICE.

It's no sin that Someone should plead the case for the guilty.
to lie for them is another issue.
But it's no sin to attempt to get lesser punishments.
Or to try to find every moral way to defend your client, and find out IF your client is really guilty, even though the press and world has already decided.

While Justice should be the baseline in law, I think we have to thoughtfully understand that Justice should be tempered with Mercy. And that If a criminal "gets away with it" it's not always a miscarriage of Justice that God hates. Some times it's a Mercy.

Judges and Juries may let off a 1st offender or a truly repented criminal. Or free them for other exculpatory reasons.

But erring to maybe free some innocents is not a good reason.
But Mercy is not a Sin.
Thank God.

Psalm 85:10
Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
If our law is to follow God's character. justice must be tempered with mercy.

And considering the fact that our nation has enough laws on the books to make us all criminals 2 hours after we leave our homes everyday. And the U.S. has more people locked up in prison than any nation in the world. It seems a bit of mercy and correction of the "justice system" is in order,

Last edited: