Redskins

Granite

Hall of Fame
I am guessing you are ignorant of Anti-Irish racism.

Anti-Irish racism in Victorian Britain and 19th century United States included the stereotyping of the Irish as alcoholics, and implications that they monopolised certain (usually low-paying) job markets. They were often called "white Negroes." Throughout Britain and the US, newspaper illustrations and hand drawings depicted a prehistoric "ape-like image" of Irish faces to bolster evolutionary racist claims that the Irish people were an "inferior race" as compared to Anglo-Saxons.​

I've got distant relatives who live there, so, no. I'm definitely not. But your example wasn't accurate in the least and has nothing to do with the Washington situation.

IMJerusha

...which is ridiculous and one of the worst comparisons to the Washington situation I've seen on this thread.

Oh, well, not everyone can be a blessed Irishman! :D -- joking

Why can't people see this situation for what it really is? -- serious

Lon

It's also true that not being able to do every good is no excuse for not doing what we can. And this we can do. :e4e:

As far as appeals to doing good, you've convinced me. James 4:17
There is no bad in doing something but I'm not sure we always have to cave-in to complainers.

Maybe we do: Romans 12:18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.

I reckon it's possible.

-Lon

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How about the Atlanta Braves or the Cleveland Indians? What's up with that? Do they get a free pass?

genuineoriginal

How about the Atlanta Braves or the Cleveland Indians? What's up with that? Do they get a free pass?
Baseball?
I thought we were talking about football.

Plaintiff in Redskins case urges Chiefs to change their name

The Washington Redskins aren’t the only NFL team whose name bothers some Native Americans.

The Kansas City Chiefs should also change their name to avoid giving offense, according to Amanda Blackhorse, the lead plaintiff in the case that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office just decided against the Redskins.​

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Baseball?
I thought we were talking about football.

Plaintiff in Redskins case urges Chiefs to change their name

The Washington Redskins aren’t the only NFL team whose name bothers some Native Americans.

The Kansas City Chiefs should also change their name to avoid giving offense, according to Amanda Blackhorse, the lead plaintiff in the case that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office just decided against the Redskins.​

Thought the topic was racism. What difference does it make, football or baseball? Sorry if I interrupted the flow of the thread.

genuineoriginal

I've got distant relatives who live there, so, no. I'm definitely not. But your example wasn't accurate in the least and has nothing to do with the Washington situation.
I have near relatives that live in America, so yes, it is definitely an accurate analogy.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Braves hasn't been used derogatorily. Indians, however historically mistaken, is similarly situated. In the same way, negro isn't the same thing as Sambo used to note race. Different history and intent.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Associating an alcoholic drink with a people group that has been stereotyped as alcoholics is a racial slur, and you are now officially beyond idiotic.

No, it isn't. You're just being a tool at this point. And you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

IMJerusha

Braves hasn't been used derogatorily. Indians, however historically mistaken, is similarly situated. In the same way, negro isn't the same thing as Sambo used to note race. Different history and intent.

Wasn't there a time when "negro" was considered offensive also? Recall the "don't call me negro, call me black." or "I am a person of color. I am not a negro." :rolleyes:

genuineoriginal

Oh, now wait a minute, that could be the Irish or Indians.

Since when have the Indians been associated with the color green?
a_happy_leprechaun_with_a_pint_of_beer_and_the_irish_flag_0521-1003-2117-1726_SMU.jpg

IMJerusha

Someone should sue the United Negro College Fund for using an offensive racial slur in their name.

:chuckle: That was my point to the lovely young black woman with whom I was speaking at the time. Funny you should bring that up! That and the Spanish/Portuguese origin of the word.

IMJerusha

a_happy_leprechaun_with_a_pint_of_beer_and_the_irish_flag_0521-1003-2117-1726_SMU.jpg

After they've consumed too much alcohol! Recall the movie The Hallelujah Trail?

In fact, about a year ago I read that the Oglala Sioux were suing beer manufacturers $500 million because alcohol has devastated their tribe. Wasichu.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned

I am so glad you posted this, because I am Irish. Actually I am half Irish, and half Italian.

I think the picture is funny. I have no problem with it.

That is how an adult reacts to these things, with a good natured chuckle, not with all the crying and whining and sniveling thats going on with this Redskins nonsense. The liberals and every other sissy-la-la out there act like little girls with their panties in a bunch over every perceived slight. They need to grow up and get a life.

Watch a few seasons of Archie Bunker and grow a pair for Pete's sake.