Real Science Radio: Plate Tectonics. Not.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Except they aren't aligned with the poles that they are closest to. The geomagnetism is arrayed in alternating strips.

magstrips.jpg
The poles they are closest to are the poles of the preceding band. The alternating strips are stronger than earth's magnetic field. They would by necessity line up in alternating strips because one strip will dictate the direction of the next, either north or south.

Daedalean's_Sun

The seafloor is not a magnet, that would be silly. The reason there are magnetic bands is because in it's iron-rich silicate molten state, the magnetic materials in the soon-to-be seafloor orients itself in alignment with the prevailing magnetic field of the earth, but once the molten rock cools the magnetic alignment is solidified in place, preserving a sort of natural record of the earth's magnetic paleofields.

magnetic_detection__iron_filings.jpg

Source

water2.jpg

Jukia

Every magnet has a pole.

There is a large amount of magnetic material in the bands at the mid-atlantic ridge. As one band was created, the next band aligned with the preceding one.

Every magnet has 2 poles.

I believe your understanding of the magnetic banding at the mid-Atlantic ridge is incorrect. Although, if you have some citations to the scientific literature that support your statement I will look at them. In a prior life time I was a marine science student.

Daedalean's_Sun

Yorzhik thinks that the bands on the seafloor create their own magnetic fields (i.e. that they create magnetism, rather than just responding to it).

:crackup:

Daedalean's_Sun

Plate Tectonics crumble: "The plates are 30 miles thick or thicker. A 30 mile thick plate cannot subduct under another 30 mile thick plate--it would create a 30 mile high cliff. The highest cliffs on Earth can get is 5 miles befreo the rock under it crush."

One plate subducting under another would create a 30 mile cliff only if you had to suppose the plates of uniform thickness with a perpendicular edge, that remained so under the tremendous forces of the subduction process. Do you suppose that?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The seafloor is not a magnet, that would be silly.
The bands in question, on the sea floor, have magnetic particles.

The first band had only the earth's magnetic field to set its poles. The second band had both the earth's magnetic field and also the first band. The first band was stronger, which meant it was the field the second band reacted because the effect of earth's magnetic field was relatively insignificant. Same goes for each following band.

Daedalean's_Sun

The bands in question, on the sea floor, have magnetic particles.

The seafloor does contain magnetic particles, we call it iron. The seafloor is composed of iron-rich silicate. The iron aligns itself to the magnetic field of the earth when it is still in a molten state, and can move relatively freely. Once solidified, the iron particulates can no longer move freely.

Just to explain how truly asinine your claim is if there were particles in the seafloor that were capable of attracting and repelling magnetic materials around them, then each particle would have both a positive and negative pole and so you would never get say 6 miles of the uniform polarity. If you still don't believe me I have an experiment for you, try this, take a magnet and break it in half. What happens? Then break each half into two more halves. What happens? Now break those halves each into two more halves? What do you have now? Do you see where I'm going with this? You're not going to have 6 mile bands of uniform polarity unless you have a solid magnet at least 12 miles wide.

If you find a 12 mile wide solid magnet on the seafloor, you let us know.

doloresistere

One plate subducting under another would create a 30 mile cliff only if you had to suppose the plates of uniform thickness with a perpendicular edge, that remained so under the tremendous forces of the subduction process. Do you suppose that?

The athenosphere underneath the subducting plate gets thinner which allows the plate to slide underneath by 30 miles.