Real Science Friday CRSQ (Vol 43, Num 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Jukia said:
Instead of going back and forth about this, one of you who disputes it, and would therefore seem to have the burden of proof since you are disputing a generally accepted scientific procedure, should contact someone who does the work, question that person and report back.

Bob Enyart did that with Jack Horner, curator of paleontology at the Museum of the Rockies. I heard a recording of their phone call. Jack said he would have to check with Mary Schweitzer, lead researcher and finder of the fossil. They have access to the fossil and the soft tissue. Bob offered $20,000 plus the cost of the C-14 test to Jack and the museum. From what I heard, Jack was not interested in doing the test. I guess he had to check with Mary.

If YEC want a C-14 test of the soft tissue in this T-Rex and the people who have access to it will not let it be tested, what do you suggest can be done?

Jukia said:
It is clear that anyone here with any real scientific understanding and belief in the real world has no real issue with it and is able to understand that perhaps the process is not quite as simple as Pastor Enyart would like us to believe.
However, I suspect my suggestion is like the seed falling on the barren ground. Will result in nothing but continued lack of knowledge.

I can see no reason why a scientist wouldn’t just do the test to just be sure. If the test is paid for AND you receive a $20,000.00 donation, why not? Just not worth the time? $20,000 is pretty good donation to a museum, is it not? Are scientists and museums just not interested in additional funding?

Jukia

Shimei said:
Bob Enyart did that with Jack Horner, curator of paleontology at the Museum of the Rockies. I heard a recording of their phone call. Jack said he would have to check with Mary Schweitzer, lead researcher and finder of the fossil. They have access to the fossil and the soft tissue. Bob offered $20,000 plus the cost of the C-14 test to Jack and the museum. From what I heard, Jack was not interested in doing the test. I guess he had to check with Mary.

If YEC want a C-14 test of the soft tissue in this T-Rex and the people who have access to it will not let it be tested, what do you suggest can be done?

I can see no reason why a scientist wouldn’t just do the test to just be sure. If the test is paid for AND you receive a $20,000.00 donation, why not? Just not worth the time? $20,000 is pretty good donation to a museum, is it not? Are scientists and museums just not interested in additional funding?
I suggested that someone talk with people who actually do the C-14 testing or other radiometric testing. I am not sure that Jack Horner actually does that. I suspect a better understanding of the theory (sorry about the use of that word, I know how it drives fundy's round the bend) behind radiometric dating might be beneficial.
As to why not just test whatever old bones you can find in order to get that 20K, see Johnny's posts #6 and 29 in this thread. He seems to have some idea of what the process is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.