CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
as would be expected

unproven

and undefined

talent to do what?

no - i reject that

it may have been true during Jim crow, but fifty years of providing equal opportunity tells me that the opportunity is there, it's the desire to take advantage of that opportunity that's lacking

and that generalization is based in part on my observations working in the urban schools
No, real opportunity is not there. Schools in inner cities are grossly underfunded and lack many of the most basic instructional tools such as a single working computer lab and library books. Equal opportunity has never happened in the last 50 years, just a bunch of programs to make people feel a little better about themselves. We still see people rise above that which holds others back but they tend to be the exception rather than the rule. We can do better.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame

genuineoriginal

it shouldn't, in a well designed test of intelligence

they try to control for variables like that
Did you forget to read the quote?

It wasn't speaking about a single generation, it was speaking about how a society ensures whether each generation will be more feeble minded or less feeble minded than the preceding generation.

Societies that support bad genetic traits will keep gaining more individuals with those bad genetic traits.
Societies that do not support bad genetic traits will keep having less individuals with those bad genetic traits.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... Schools in inner cities are grossly underfunded...

not in my experience - when I did a presentation on this back in 2009, the urban school district I was working in spent almost $17,000/year/student. This was a district that always scored dead last among the 450 or so upstate New York public school districts, in every metric that mattered.

$17,000 a year per student to achieve failing results

the adjacent suburban district that my kids attended, that I lived in, that I had attended when I was young always scored in the top five percent

my district spent 13,000/year/student

that's 30% more to achieve failing results

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Did you forget to read the quote?

It wasn't speaking about a single generation, it was speaking about how a society ensures whether each generation will be more feeble minded or less feeble minded than the preceding generation.

Societies that support bad genetic traits will keep gaining more individuals with those bad genetic traits.
Societies that do not support bad genetic traits will keep having less individuals with those bad genetic traits.

yeah, i scannned it and missed that - sorry

so "Idioccracy" in real life

i suspect that's independent of race and tied to poverty - I see a ridiculously large number of people up here in northern ny - high poverty, mainly white - whose behaviors and choices mirror those I saw in the city

sorry if this came out garbled - gotta run :wave2:

genuineoriginal

Schools in inner cities are grossly underfunded and lack many of the most basic instructional tools such as a single working computer lab and library books.
When the school has to constantly purchase new equipment and books to replace the ones destroyed by the students that do not want anyone to get a good education, is the answer spending more money?

fool

Hall of Fame
it may have been true during Jim crow, but fifty years of providing equal opportunity tells me that the opportunity is there, it's the desire to take advantage of that opportunity that's lacking
Jim Crow is alive and well, walking while black, driving while black and recently being in your own home while black are risks black people have to face everyday.
They get hassled, they get detained and searched, they get shot.
A Black person might have the means and drive to open a business or purchase a home in an affluent area but might not because he'd get pulled over every time he went there by cops wanting to know what he was doing in that area and where he was going.

This is an additional barrier that blacks face.
New York Sociologist Edward Murphy documented these barriers in a short documentary in the 80s called White Like Me;

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
not in my experience - when I did a presentation on this back in 2009, the urban school district I was working in spent almost $17,000/year/student. This was a district that always scored dead last among the 450 or so upstate New York public school districts, in every metric that mattered.

$17,000 a year per student to achieve failing results

the adjacent suburban district that my kids attended, that I lived in, that I had attended when I was young always scored in the top five percent

my district spent 13,000/year/student

that's 30% more to achieve failing results
What was your conclusion?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Is there a difference in the color of the illiterate adults and the literate adults in Detroit?
If so, is there any justification in an assumption that the color of the adults causes the illiteracy?
I would not use this number to determine causality based on skin color. Far to vague.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
When the school has to constantly purchase new equipment and books to replace the ones destroyed by the students that do not want anyone to get a good education, is the answer spending more money?
Depends on where and how it is spent. Education doesn't only happen in the school building.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Where do the inner-city schools spend their money to get students to achieve failing results?
Supplies. Salaries. Transportation. They are short on funds so maintenance is far behind resulting in school buildings that are run down and no longer suitable for their intended purpose. But that is less than half the problem.

genuineoriginal

Supplies. Salaries. Transportation. They are short on funds so maintenance is far behind resulting in school buildings that are run down and no longer suitable for their intended purpose. But that is less than half the problem.
The real problem is the quality of the students, not the amount of funds available.