Questions about Baptism

Feral Phoenician

My ex wife's church preached not only a "Holy Ghost" doctrine, but taught that baptism is a crucial aspect of Christianity. I've heard this from other Christians, but they've said that baptism is largely symbolic. In her church, in was a requirement for salvation.

Also in her Church, when someone was to be baptized (and it was a big to-do), the person was fully submerged in a large, almost bathtub, and they wore a white gown/robe (yes, it sort of put me in mind of a Mikveh).

Her Pastor (or the Youth Pastor) would then give a small speech, ask the soon to be baptized some questions, and then submerge them into the water. While doing do, he would say "I baptize you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins" (never in her church did I hear "Father, Son, Holy Spirit").

Well, according to some other Christians I have spoken with, much of the process in her church was "unnecessary", and one older lady told me that was a "wrong baptism".

I'm going to be honest and tell you I'm rather confused. *Is* there a "wrong way" to baptize? I'm aware that Jesus Himself said "Father, Son, Holy Spirit", but Acts 2:38 (her church has that passage on a banner, it's how I remember it so well) says "name of Jesus".

My daughters also go to Church with her, and my "oldest" (Fraternal Twins) has expressed a desire to be baptized, however their mother and Pastor feel she is too young (they're 6 years old). My "youngest" couldn't care less for church.

I have mixed feelings. I agreed, long before they even existed, that our future children would be raised in her church. That's fine. However, my "oldest" has been begging me to "talk to mommy" and try and convince my ex wife to "let her get baptized".

First question would be; Is she too young? Is her church in the right? I'm aware some denominations practice infant and child baptisms. If she's not too young, I'll "go to bat for her", as it means a whole lot to her.

Second question; Is there a "wrong" way to baptize? This is, obviously, more of a general question.

I'm all too aware "not all Christians are created equal". A Roman Catholic is not the same thing as a Southern Baptist. So, I'm aware there might be a "mixed bag" of answers.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There are many baptisms, but only one that saves today. Being baptized into Christ by the Holy Spirit and seen by the Father as Holy, perfect, without spot or blemished, crucified and raised up is our baptism. Our life is hid in Christ.

Feral Phoenician

Yes, a child six years old is not accountable for sin.
We (Jews) feel the same way. With her being a girl, she would not be held "accountable" until Bat Mitzvah (12-13, depending on level of Orthodoxy).

I know Christianity is very different, and I've known Roman Catholics that were baptized as infants. Their mother (ex wife) and her church hold that parents are held accountable for the actions of children (so do we, though there are stipulations).

Feral Phoenician

There are many baptisms, but only one that saves today. Being baptized into Christ by the Holy Spirit and seen by the Father as Holy, perfect, without spot or blemished, crucified and raised up is our baptism. Our life is hid in Christ.
If I follow you correctly, you're saying Being Saved would come before/or equal out the act of water baptism?

If I'm nowhere near the mark, sorry, let me know.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
"any person can baptize provided that he have the intention of doing that which the Church does and provided that he pours water on the candidate's head while saying: "I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.""

Source.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If I follow you correctly, you're saying Being Saved would come before/or equal out the act of water baptism?

Water is for priests, which don't exist today. It was a ceremonial cleansing to acknowledge the need to be washed of sin. If I am off, I am sure Ben Masada will correct the water baptism.