Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

• yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • no, please state why in thread

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Drug-abuse counselor gets 25 years for DUI with corpse on windshield

LOS ANGELES A California substance-abuse counselor who hit a man with her car and drove two miles with his body embedded in her windshield was sentenced Thursday to 25 years to life in prison.

So she kills a person, and is given life? She should be executed swiftly and painfully, perhaps by driving a car into her.

Sherri Lynn Wilkins had pleaded no contest to second-degree murder and two drunken driving counts.

This "no contest" plea is a bad thing, and should have never been invented. If you're guilty of a crime, then you're guilty whether you think you are or not.

Wilkins, 55, had been found guilty at a 2014 trial on similar charges but an appeals court last year threw out the conviction because her entire criminal history had been admitted at trial and could have prejudiced the jury.

There shouldn't have been a jury. What, is the judge incapable of doing his job? A jury only removes the responsibility from passing judgment, which makes it easier for people to pass judgment without worrying about the consequences of their verdicts.

She had received the stiffer sentence of 55 years to life before her appeal.

Prosecutors then refiled charges and Wilkins pleaded no contest.

In 2012, Wilkins was a substance-abuse counselor and was driving home through Torrance when she hit and killed 31-year-old Phillip Moreno.

So, basically negligent murder? She should be executed.

She drove more than two miles with his half-naked body embedded in the windshield and his upper body face down on the hood before other drivers confronted her at a stoplight, according to court records.

Wilkins told them that Moreno seemed to jump in front of the car. He died at a hospital.

Any money she possesses (banks, wallet, etc) should go to the victim's family to pay for medical bills and to compensate them.

Wilkins drank three shots of vodka and a beer in her car before driving, but the defense argued there hadn't been enough time for her blood-alcohol level to exceed the legal limit of .08.

Investigators said Wilkins' blood-alcohol level was about twice that limit 1½ hours after the crash.

Wilkins should be executed for murder. How much alcohol she had in her system is irrelevant.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

musterion

I disagree that always means that, to me it just means to change your mind about doing it your way (sin) and turn to His way (Christ)

When used in tracts and preaching, "repent" now usually means "be willing to turn from sin" always means "stop sinful behavior now," even though stopping sinful behavior was never stated by Paul as a condition of forgiveness, not was expressing regret or sorrow for sin. That kind of preaching, very common today, adds subtle pious works to the Gospel (assuming it's even the saving Gospel of Grace that's being preached).

Last edited:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
I mostly agree with what you've said about addiction. We could have a friendly conversation about it if you like, but what frustrates me about you is that the same compassion you have found for people who have suffered from the one affliction doesn't seem like something you've figured out how to apply more broadly. 90% of the time, you come across as the same vicious, self-righteous "Christian" as forms the larger body of the people who post here. But when it comes to drug addiction, you're different, because of your lived experience. And that is very frustrating.

I'm not sexist, I'm anti-feminist
I'm not racist, I'm pro-white
I'm not antisemitic, I'm pro-Christian Israel
I'm not anti-Muslim or anti-immigrant, I'm pro-immigration control and pro-Christian America

You all hum your labels so commonly that it goes without any thought. You place that label, and then that's all you see.

I don't support anything that puts me at a disadvantage. That's called being sane- I am not about to defend a bunch of hateful black people, support people overly represented in government and who don't exist below the middle class, and I am not going to be told I need to be taught not to rape and made to believe misleading and manipulative statistics from women who further think it's my responsibility to fund their birth control.

I am not going to support trans people, who made their decision to go under the knife, thinking that the other 99.8% of society must fundamentally change for them.

And
I am not going to take jive from anyone who supports any of the above :rolleyes:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
When used in tracts and preaching, "repent" now usually means "be willing to turn from sin" always means "stop sinful behavior now," even though stopping sinful behavior was never stated by Paul as a condition of forgiveness, not was expressing regret or sorrow for sin. That kind of preaching, very common today, adds subtle pious works to the Gospel (assuming it's even the saving Gospel of Grace that's being preached).

Turn from sin (mans way) toward God, repent means to turn around/change your mind, literally.

I would need to know individually what conditions if any additional were being added, to make more of that figure of speech. Because technically, its correct.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Turn from sin (mans way) toward God, repent means to turn around/change your mind, literally.

I would need to know individually what conditions if any additional were being added, to make more of that figure of speech. Because technically, its correct.

Everybody has their demon- the thing that you can't do which the Bible commands.

And people make a rational exception to it, you see- everyone has in their mind that they are sinless when in fact the Bible condemns you wholesale on it.

But it's why we hope so much for a graceful god, who will look past our human transgressions; in Christ, who died for our shortcomings.

This is why I am so frustrated with this subject, I've come to realize :plain:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Everybody has their demon- the thing that you can't do which the Bible commands.

And people make a rational exception to it, you see- everyone has in their mind that they are sinless when in fact the Bible condemns you wholesale on it.

But it's why we hope so much for a graceful god, who will look past our human transgressions; in Christ, who died for our shortcomings.

This is why I am so frustrated with this subject, I've come to realize :plain:
Why should you care, you were predestined

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Why should you care, you were predestined

Is this the part where you pretend to know predestination?

:plain:
You all don't understand Calvinism, you all beat a straw man and run with your bald presumptions

It's Reformed doctrine- it's original intent was tto reform the Catholic Church. It is not a wholesale rejection of beliefs, much unlike you all.

We're old school, and offensive, because God convicts- He does not plead like your theology demands.

rexlunae

Feminism is defined as advocating equality between men and women. So, if you're actually anti-feminist, you are opposed to equality between the genders, and are by definition sexist.

Are you more pro-white than you are pro-black? Or pro-Arab? If so, you're offering a distinction without a difference.

What is "pro-Christian Israel"?

I'm not anti-Muslim or anti-immigrant, I'm pro-immigration control and pro-Christian America

That's great! Christianity teaches that you must welcome strangers. Being pro-Christian requires that you welcome immigrants. Unless "pro-Christian" doesn't really have anything to do with being Christian at all...

You all hum your labels so commonly that it goes without any thought. You place that label, and then that's all you see.

It's not about the label. It's about what it represents.

I don't support anything that puts me at a disadvantage. That's called being sane-

You're not (presently) a refugee, so you don't see any need to make common cause with them. It doesn't hurt you. You're not a Muslim, or any other minority religion, so discriminating against them doesn't hurt you. You're not a woman, so misogyny doesn't hurt you. You're not black, and you don't worry that the police are going to see you as more dangerous just because of the color of your skin, so you don't see any reason to worry about the people who have that problem.

That's your version of "being sane".

But the thing is, when your fellow Christians here shame you for your drug addiction, they're following that exact same principle. Why would they stoop to your level? What about the cost to them?

You claim to worship a Messiah who preached mercy and compassion at every opportunity. You demand compassion for your faults. But you don't offer the same to others. And you don't even seem to have done the introspection to recognize the hypocrisy, such that you give lame excuses about not putting yourself at a disadvantage. Well, why should anyone else embrace putting themselves at a disadvantage either?

I am not about to defend a bunch of hateful black people,

So defend the ones who just want to be left to live their lives without being visited by undeserved and unaccountable violence.

support people overly represented in government

The only demographic overly represented in government is white, straight, Christian men. Who exactly do you have in mind?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ite-80-percent-male-and-92-percent-christian/

... and who don't exist below the middle class,

Who?

and I am not going to be told I need to be taught not to rape and made to believe misleading and manipulative statistics from women

I'm sorry that you feel imposed upon with messaging that should seem awfully obvious. But it seems like the message hasn't gotten through entirely that rape isn't ok, or even what exactly it is. And I'd venture to guess that women find it awfully annoying to always be under the threat of sexual violence.

... who further think it's my responsibility to fund their birth control.

You've got your own problems. And you're always completely self-sufficient, right?

I am not going to support trans people, who made their decision to go under the knife, thinking that the other 99.8% of society must fundamentally change for them.

What did they ask you to change?

And
I am not going to take jive from anyone who supports any of the above :rolleyes:

Then quit your whining about how addicts are treated. Just flippantly ignore anyone who doesn't like how you treat them, and double-down. You get what you give.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Feminism is defined as advocating equality between men and women. So, if you're actually anti-feminist, you are opposed to equality between the genders, and are by definition sexist.

That's a nonsense definition that has no reflection on it's original meaning, which was exactly what you would gather from the word itself. And ism, coined by a philosopher to describe the phenomenon of women demanding what wasn't theirs.

The study of women, and the interests thereof- your definition is a ripoff of what feminism tried to be for a time, which you'll find in any dictionary but also find such a definition non-existent in any exhaustive study.

Feminists aren't for 'equality' anymore than BLM is about, well, black lives mattering.

Women have had not only equal rights, but also enjoy gender bias and privilege in their favor. Quite frankly, you're a complete imbecile to be a male and be a feminist, because it is a movement against you.

rosielee

I don't support anything that puts me at a disadvantage. That's called being sane- I am not about to defend a bunch of hateful black people, support people overly represented in government and who don't exist below the middle class, and I am not going to be told I need to be taught not to rape and made to believe misleading and manipulative statistics from women who further think it's my responsibility to fund their birth control.

And
Well said. I agree.

Sent from my Tab2A7-10F using TheologyOnline mobile app

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Are you more pro-white than you are pro-black?

Yes.

You see, because I'm white- why should I have more stock in another race :chuckle:

What is "pro-Christian Israel"?

Spiritual Israel, or, Covenant Theology- the belief that the Jews already received the promises of God, and that Christianity is essentially the continuation of Judaism whereas the Jews labor in vain.

It's funny that that should even be contended, as it's just the plain orthodox Christian standard :rolleyes:

Being pro-Christian requires that you welcome immigrants.

Being pro-Christian requires that you do not ignore your countrymen shot down by heretics.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Yes.

You see, because I'm white- why should I have more stock in another race :chuckle:

You know you're a racist if...

Spiritual Israel, or, Covenant Theology- the belief that the Jews already received the promises of God, and that Christianity is essentially the continuation of Judaism whereas the Jews labor in vain.

It's funny that that should even be contended, as it's just the plain orthodox Christian standard :rolleyes:

See anti-semitism

Being pro-Christian requires that you do not ignore your countrymen shot down by heretics.

On immigration

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

Last edited:

musterion

Put it this way: if someone believes the saving Gospel of grace, will they repent [change their mind] about a whole lot? Yes, automatically -- they've changed their mind about their own standing before a holy God. That's the point of the Gospel.

The problem is when repent is subtly redefined (as it has been in many circles) as "stop sinning." At that point an additional condition has just been added to faith. Same goes for "make Jesus the Lord of your life," "ask Jesus into your heart," etc. See the subtle addition of something BESIDES faith that must be done to be saved? That's the problem, and the same goes with "repent" when it's defined as an actual work (either doing something or stop doing something).

Here's a good example of just how mixed up a lot of people get over the word.

https://faithalone.org/journal/1998i/Wilkin.html

rexlunae

Yes.

You're human. I would assume you can extrapolate from your experiences as a white human to understand at least a little bit what it might be like to live under the conditions of people with a different skin color. There's nothing that says you have to base your solidarity on your race. You choose that.

You want to be racist blatantly, without being called racist. Pick one, you can't have both.

Israel is, by their declaration, a Jewish country. You'll find more Christians in Palestine.

I'm not even sure what you mean by that.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
You're human. I would assume you can extrapolate from your experiences as a white human to understand at least a little bit what it might be like to live under the conditions of people with a different skin color. There's nothing that says you have to base your solidarity on your race. You choose that.

You want to be racist blatantly, without being called racist. Pick one, you can't have both.

I'm going to say this straight up- you people think that you can just go around and label people this and that because they don't connect their selves to things that have no interest toward them, or even are against them.
And then you come and protest in people's faces or ask them loaded questions, and then label them even more when they point out your faults and your nonsense.

That's the bottom line- I don't care what kind of inquisition you want to serve on somebody whenever they criticize black people, semites, women, whoever- you people have criticized the hell out of white men and made them miserable for years- and lot of you are white men yourselves.

Because you're a bunch of idiots.
So just go on with all that crap, dude. I've been over trying to make yall see the finer details when you can't even open up your eyes in the first place.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
US Drug Overdose Deaths Continue to Rise: Here Are the Numbers to Know

US Drug Overdose Deaths Continue to Rise: Here Are the Numbers to Know
[LiveScience.com]
February 28, 2017

The rate of drug overdose deaths in the United States continues to rise, with a particularly sharp spike in heroin-related deaths in recent years, according to a new report.

Researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that the rate of U.S. drug overdose deaths more than doubled over a 16-year period, increasing from about 6 deaths per 100,000 people in 1999 to 16 deaths per 100,000 people in 2015, according to the report.

The drug overdose death rate increased by about 10 percent per year from 1999 to 2006, and then continued to increase but at a slower rate, rising 3 percent per year from 2006 to 2013. Then, the rate sped up again, rising by 9 percent per year from 2013 to 2015.

In recent years, the percentage of drug overdose deaths involving heroin underwent a sharp rise. In 2010, only 8 percent of all drug overdose deaths involved heroin, but by 2015, 25 percent involved heroin, the report said.

The researchers also found that the percentage of overdose deaths involving synthetic opioids, such as fentanyl and tramadol, more than doubled during that time period, increasing from 8 percent in 2010 to 18 percent in 2015.

"The continuing rise in death rates related to heroin use and synthetic opioids is of great concern," said Dr. Larissa Mooney, an assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of California, Los Angeles, and director of the university's Addiction Medicine Clinic.

This increase occurred despite growing awareness of the opioid epidemic and a rise in funding for opioid addiction treatment, said Mooney, who was not involved in the research. The new report "highlights an ongoing problem in that area," she told Live Science. [America's Opioid-Use Epidemic: 5 Startling Facts]

The CDC researchers could not determine from their data the reason for the rise in drug overdose deaths. But previous studies have found that the recent increase in drug overdose deaths has occurred alongside an increase in prescriptions for opioid pain relievers. And other research has shown that some people who become addicted to prescription opioids will switch to heroin, which can be less expensive and sometimes easier to obtain, Mooney said. [10 Interesting Facts About Heroin]

Although the percentage of overdose deaths from heroin is rising, the percentage of deaths from some types of prescription opioids, including oxycodone and hydrocodone, has declined slightly, dropping from 29 percent of all drug overdose deaths in 2010 to 24 percent in 2015, the report said. The percentage of overdose deaths from methadone also dropped during this period, decreasing from 12 percent of drug overdose deaths in 2010 to 6 percent in 2015.

The report also found the following:

In 2015, the highest rate of drug overdose deaths was among people ages 45 to 54, with a rate of 30 deaths per 100,000 people.
Adults ages 55 to 64 saw the biggest increase in drug overdose deaths over the course of the 16-year study period. From 1999 to 2015, the rate of drug overdose deaths in this age group increased from about 4 deaths per 100,000 people to about 22 deaths per 100,000 people.
During the 16-year study period, the rate of overdose deaths among white people nearly quadrupled, from 6 deaths per 100,000 people in 1999 to 21 deaths per 100,000 people in 2015.
Overdose death rates also increased among black people, from 7.5 deaths per 100,000 people in 1999 to 12 deaths per 100,000 people in 2015; and among Hispanic people, the rate increased from 5 deaths per 100,000 people in 1999 to 8 deaths per 100,000 people in 2015.
The state with the highest rate of drug overdose deaths in 2015 was West Virginia, with a rate of 41 deaths per 100,000 people, followed by New Hampshire, with a rate of 34 deaths per 100,000 people, and Kentucky and Ohio, both of which had about 30 overdose deaths per 100,000 people.

Last year, the CDC introduced new guidelines for prescribing opioid painkillers, with an aim of reducing the risk of addiction and overdose tied to these drugs.

Efforts to reduce overdose deaths should also focus on increasing access to evidenced-based treatments for substance use disorders, Mooney said. There should also be a focus on screening people for substance use disorders so that people can be guided into treatment, Mooney said.

"The earlier that we can intervene in the course of the problem, the better the chances of providing that access to effective treatment and reducing some of the harms" of addiction, Mooney said.

musterion

Angel...

enGeneral.gif

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Right. Notice the to-do list for salvation.

I dont agree its all a to do list. The second list is a "help" list as i see nowhere it says those things precede salvation or must happen or salvation never happened.

I think it smart to attend a good church and read the bible everyday and pray everyday. In fact at the end, it says "help to grow as a christian" not you must do this to be saved.

Anyway back to the thread.