Public school education vs. homeschool education

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
:rolleyes: I had fun at prom. Can't wait till next year.
Most people who partake in prom make such a big deal out of it, as if it were the most important day in their lives. And then most of them don't even end up staying with the person they went to prom with. It's overrated.

Paine

BANNED
Banned
I am fairly neutral on the subject of homeschooling. Personally, I received a stellar education under the tutelage of my parents during my homeschooling from grades 1-11, and when I attended private Christian school during my senior year I found myself considerably ahead of my peers in many aspects.
However, my senior year was by far the year in which I matured and grew as a social being, and the year in which I formed and maintained the deepest relationships and friendships. There is certainly something vital lost for a child in remaining at home for his entire middle and high school education.

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
Excellent Post. I'll take a bad homeschool over a "good" public school any day of the year.

Paine

BANNED
Banned
Excellent Post. I'll take a bad homeschool over a "good" public school any day of the year.

Yet another example of your ludicrous extremism. I have seen the results of a bad homeschool, and it is devastatingly worse than the typical outcomes of a Christian child in a decent or good public school. I have seen homeschools that have produced utterly introverted, dysfunctional, naive, sociophobic, unintelligent teens that are incapable of even the most basic functions when lacking in the presence of their mother. This is obviously not the norm, but I have seen several such cases personally, and am aware of others.

Simply because you dislike the public school system does not mean you are required to post such laughably absurd and obviously uneducated statements of extremity.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yet another example of your ludicrous extremism. I have seen the results of a bad homeschool, and it is devastatingly worse than the typical outcomes of a Christian child in a decent or good public school. I have seen homeschools that have produced utterly introverted, dysfunctional, naive, sociophobic, unintelligent teens that are incapable of even the most basic functions when lacking in the presence of their mother. This is obviously not the norm, but I have seen several such cases personally, and am aware of others.

Simply because you dislike the public school system does not mean you are required to post such laughably absurd and obviously uneducated statements of extremity.

She just re-stated what I, myself, stated in the OP.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Bad homeschooling pretty much sets a kid up for a career in cleaning offices at night. Good homeschooling can be as good as any public school.

I see the failures, of course, when the parents realize they've blown it, and hope that the public school system can fix it. Sometimes it can, sometimes, it can't.

It's like wiring your own house, only the stakes are much higher. If you know what you're doing, and have the resources to do it right, no problem. Otherwise...

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bad homeschooling pretty much sets a kid up for a career in cleaning offices at night. Good homeschooling can be as good as any public school.

I see the failures, of course, when the parents realize they've blown it, and hope that the public school system can fix it. Sometimes it can, sometimes, it can't.

It's like wiring your own house, only the stakes are much higher. If you know what you're doing, and have the resources to do it right, no problem. Otherwise...

Hey! Some of those janitorial jobs pay pretty good.

If bad homeschooling leads to one of those, what does bad public education lead to? Oh! :idea: Never mind! Leads to more public school teachers!

DXPose

BANNED
Banned

Paine - your public school is showing! :loser:

Yes well that MAJORITY of public school kids are immature, sexually active, animalistic, dysfunctional, morally bankrupt, illiterate, drug addicted, ADHD, rebellious, juvenal delinquent fools who are an embarrassment to their parents and a detriment to society. Anyone who thinks otherwise is laughably absurd and obviously uneducated or just willfully ignorant of the truth. :wazzup:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Then it was addressed to you as well.

From the OP:
ebenz47037 said:
We've been throwing more and more money at the public school system year after year after year. It's not helping any. If anything, it's making the problems worse. I think it's about time we put this one out of it's misery.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I beg your pardon, but do you have a point? I hardly see how quoting yourself does anything to address my statement.

My point is that the public school system is broken beyond repair. They keep asking for more and more money. But, every year we see or hear about the same problems. It's obvious that money isn't going to fix the problems they do have.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I went to private school and I was naturally a good student; however, all the students in my high-school class scored above the mean on the SAT tests!

If one used those models of emphasis on formal education when home schooling, you would have the same results.

Some models of public education, those for gifted children are fairly good academically, yet they still indoctrinate the kids with things that do not belong in the public school.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
My point is that the public school system is broken beyond repair. They keep asking for more and more money. But, every year we see or hear about the same problems. It's obvious that money isn't going to fix the problems they do have.

I agree, it is hijacked for all the reasons you already know. As I see it, the lack of academic accomplishment that affords teachers jobs without the necessary educational strengths, is another problem. Some public school teachers are well educated, but many become teachers because they lack the rigorous courses with would have offered them better paying jobs. The teachers union is a shelter for those who were pass through college as many children are passed through grade school learning little that is important.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Actually, good homeschooling is better than any public school. Also, the majority of what many consider to be bad homeschooling is still better than the best public schools. I know there are exceptions, but that's because the parents are either nutjobs, or they believe in a nutjob [cults].

Public schools will always make things worse.

If you have any ounce of observation you can see that most kids can teach themselves, and so most of the battle is done for you. Public schools don't understand that, and so they force their way of doing things on children, and if a child figures out a way that works better for them, they are basically punished for it by bad grades, even though they got the answers right.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I went to private school and I was naturally a good student; however, all the students in my high-school class scored above the mean on the SAT tests!

If one used those models of emphasis on formal education when home schooling, you would have the same results.

Some models of public education, those for gifted children are fairly good academically, yet they still indoctrinate the kids with things that do not belong in the public school.

Before I started homeschooling in Indiana, I asked about gifted programs. I was told that they had them. So, I enrolled my daughter for one test-run semester. Not only did they not put her in gifted classes, but when I pulled her out of the school at the end of the semester, they told me that they were thinking of "phasing out" gifted programs because there were too few gifted students. The principal also led me to believe that they would be happier if all students were average. To me, that's wrong.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree, it is hijacked for all the reasons you already know. As I see it, the lack of academic accomplishment that affords teachers jobs without the necessary educational strengths, is another problem. Some public school teachers are well educated, but many become teachers because they lack the rigorous courses with would have offered them better paying jobs. The teachers union is a shelter for those who were pass through college as many children are passed through grade school learning little that is important.

It doesn't help at all that most of the money they get goes to the administrative levels of the schools instead of the schools, themselves.

skeptech

Public schools are not as good as they could be, but that doesn't mean that the only option, or even the best option, is to homeschool everyone.

If our public school system were abondoned, then what? I think that people who couldn't homeschool would be forced to form some kind of cooperative. It would be run by some administration, and the leadership would have to do what it thought was best for the community, hopefully at the direction of the community.

...Which is basically what we have today, with the public school system. Except that in the co-op case it would be fractured, with each one teaching with its own bent. Sure, you could establish some global standard, but again, doesn't that just lead back to what we have today?

I think we should be grateful that we have options; take the one that's best for us; and support those that we think will be good for others -- realizing that it might not necessarily be the same as what is good for us!

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Public schools are not as good as they could be, but that doesn't mean that the only option, or even the best option, is to homeschool everyone.

If our public school system were abondoned, then what? I think that people who couldn't homeschool would be forced to form some kind of cooperative. It would be run by some administration, and the leadership would have to do what it thought was best for the community, hopefully at the direction of the community.

...Which is basically what we have today, with the public school system. Except that in the co-op case it would be fractured, with each one teaching with its own bent. Sure, you could establish some global standard, but again, doesn't that just lead back to what we have today?

I think we should be grateful that we have options; take the one that's best for us; and support those that we think will be good for others -- realizing that it might not necessarily be the same as what is good for us!

Personally, I think they should shut down the public school system. Let the old school buildings be bought or rented by people and/or corporations that will run the schools. Make it a totally private school system with needs-based scholarships.

Highline

Actually, good homeschooling is better than any public school. Also, the majority of what many consider to be bad homeschooling is still better than the best public schools. I know there are exceptions, but that's because the parents are either nutjobs, or they believe in a nutjob [cults].

Public schools will always make things worse.

If you have any ounce of observation you can see that most kids can teach themselves, and so most of the battle is done for you. Public schools don't understand that, and so they force their way of doing things on children, and if a child figures out a way that works better for them, they are basically punished for it by bad grades, even though they got the answers right.

What is your experience with kids or education? Do you have kids, or have you taught them? What age kids are you talking about? Have you see a kids "teach themselves" to read?