Psalm 119 (10 verses at a time)

tsunami

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:
That's 176 verses of pure anti-Calvinism.

Psm 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
23:2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside
the still waters.
23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness
for his name’s sake.
23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I
will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they
comfort me.
23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

:kiss:

Letsargue

Knight said:

---HAA, MY favorite verse of all.

---Is that all that can be arrived from 119???
---Not a single Denomination of what is called the Church, can uphold the 119th chapter of Psalms. They’ll say it’s true, but they cannot stand under the scrutiny of it, and must deny most of it. But who cares???
-------------Paul---

maritime

Knight said:

Letsargue said:
---HAA, MY favorite verse of all.

---Is that all that can be arrived from 119???
---Not a single Denomination of what is called the Church, can uphold the 119th chapter of Psalms. They’ll say it’s true, but they cannot stand under the scrutiny of it, and must deny most of it. But who cares???
-------------Paul---

i wondered why the author of this thread went ten (10) verses at a time; instead of as the psalm is recorded, aleph-bet-ically eight (8) eight verses (for each hebrew letter) at a time .

for me, psalm 119 has been committed to my memory as a prayer. here is one paragraph from James L. Mays' book, THE LORD REIGNS: A Theological Handbook to the Psalms (pg. 132), that i just finished reading that establishes more firmly in my mind and heart that my approach is not for naught:

"...It also becomes clearer why study of the torah (instruction) is said in the introduction to be the characteristic of the righteous. How does one come to be able to praise and pray and act out of the center of torah? Three times in the Psalter we hear of the person on whose mind and emotions torah is, as it were, imprinted. The instructing word has been incorporated in the very structure of consciousness by a kind of study mentioned in all three of the torah psalms (1, 19, 119). It is a kind of study that proceeds orally; it rehearses and repeats. It searches the instruction of God by reciting in receptivity until the matter becomes part of the thinking and willing and doing. For this kind of discipline, any text that has become scripture can become instruction, command, word, precept...."