Prove That Sunday Is The Christian Sabbath

God's Truth

Prove that:

1) God rested on the first day of the week
2) God blessed the first day of the week
3) God sanctified (or set apart for a holy use)
4) God wrote the 1st day of the week in His law
(Check out the short video)

Jesus is the Sabbath Rest.

Observing special days is now worthless when it comes to salvation.

We are to obey Jesus all day every day.

TrevorL

Greetings again clefty,
all contrary to your claim that “God gave the first day for assembly at the time of the apostles”...Paul did not have them come back the next day but the next week Sabbath...
right...they didnt need to be taught that...they already wanted to...to hear of One risen and forgiving of sins...a Jew killed by Rome...and so they had to understand why how and what it meant for them...so they crowded Sabbath after Sabbath never thinking to meet another day...certainly not recorded and that would be a big deal...changing the Law of the temple...teaching One changed it...but not a peep...as it was false witness still is
I have NEVER claimed that Sunday is the appointed day of rest. I have continually claimed that the true rest is in Jesus Matthew 11:28-30, Hebrews 3 and 4.

Some years ago there were some visiting Southern Baptists, and a major Baptist Church in our city invited the public to listen to them on Friday night and Saturday. I attended on the Friday night and listened to their younger speaker, and also some of their music presentation. We all sung some of the hymns or songs. We were invited to attend on Saturday afternoon, but I did not attend. Now what can you conclude about the local Baptist Church and these Southern Baptist preachers and musicians? Will you conclude that all of these taught Sabbath keeping?
yup Gentiles fell all over themselves amazed it was now for them...no wonder they crowded synagogues on Sabbaths to hear more...Jews knew though it had ALWAYS been faith first...and for gentiles too...but were jealous...stirred up the women to kick them out...
When they were kicked out, did the infant Ekklesias meet on the Sabbath? If these Ekklesias were the Galatian Ekklesias, would Paul need to wait for each Sabbath to meet with the four different locations when he toured to confirm these meetings after the events of Acts 15 as mentioned in Acts 15:36, 16:1,4-5?

Kind regards
Trevor

Do you think that the purpose of God giving the Sabbath was so that you would only obey Him one day of the week? Or did He still not desire to be obeyed all day, every day?

If observing "special days" is worthless, why do so many promote the observance of Sunday, and why are blue laws found in America? Why did Poland just vote to phase out Sunday shopping by 2020? Why does the Pope and his followers promote Sunday worship and the Eucharist? Doesn't seem so worthless in the eyes of the majority of Christendem. And they would be correct, it's not worthless to observe a "specific day". The "specific day" however, is that which the majority get wrong. It's the Sabbath Day we are to observe, not Sunday.

Also, how can Jesus be the Sabbath rest, when the Sabbath rest is about spending a day worshipping Jesus? What is so negative about spending an entire day with Jesus? The Sabbath rest is a holy day, and Jesus is not a day.

Greetings again TheThirdAngel144, I do not disagree with your assertions as there is a lot of validity in what you say. But my belief is that we are not under the Law of Moses, as this is the First or Old Covenant confirmed by the blood of animals, summarised or in a sense epitomised in the 10 Commandments. Romans 7:7-12 indicates the difficulty that a Law Keeper, especially a sincere Jew had in trying to keep the 10th Commandment.

The life in Christ is set in contrast with the struggle of Romans 7 in Romans 8:1-3. Thus I personally consider myself and others who voluntarily espouse this out of a sincere and affectionate heart, to be under the New Covenant, confirmed in the crucifixion, death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. Many of the principles, shadows, types and many other aspects find their fulfilment, fullness and more substantial teaching in Christ, as revealed in this New Covenant. I consider Matthew 11:25-30 and Hebrews 3 and 4 as evidence of this. Items 1-3 in your list of assertions are more than adequately covered under the New Covenant, and in practical terms much more so. I like some of the indications in the Psalms that the various psalmists had morning and evening prayers, and Daniel prayed three times in the day. Psalm 145:1-3 captures this in David’s superlative Psalm of Praise, and like Psalm 40:6-8 outshines the Law by individuals who were under the basic framework of the Law.

Kind regards
Trevor

There is no belief that "Thou shalt not kill", "Thou shalt not steal", etc. are simply the law of Moses (at least not generally). It is generally considered a Christian practice. And as I stated previously, most Christians also find value in resting with Christ and going to church to hear a sermon, and fellowship. That is also not considered the law of Moses. Yet somehow the only point that is literally considered the law of Moses, is the fact that we observe the 7th Day instead of the 1st Day. This logic does not follow through. There are no points in the Scripture where Sunday is dictated to be the day of rest and worship. Then it would only make sense that the 7th Day, which is written in the law, would still be required to be kept.

I also fail to understand how the summary of a law means you don't have to keep it's direct points. If I summarize the rules on this message board, it in no way diminishes your requirement to obey each and every single point. All I did was summarize it, not do away with the rules of the message board.

Why is it not possible to, with a sincere and affectionate heart choose to spend the 7th Day Sabbath with Jesus, as dictated? We found His commandments, and thus sincerely sought to obey them, and share them with many. Why does this fall under the category of working for one's salvation, or under the law of Moses, especially considering the previous points I just mentioned?

Items 1-3 are not answered by any person on this mesage board. If you indeed have the verses, I would like to ask that you please cite them, and that directly. This whole conversation is about getting these points answered.

Daniel prayed three times a day, but he still kept the 7th day holy. The Sabbath commandment is not a replacement of one's day to day duties, nor was it ever intended to be. The multiple prayers were in complete harmony with the law of God. They did not "outshine" it, but rather did that which the law sought to teach them.

Wick Stick

When the Gentiles crowding the synagogues on Sabbaths wished to hear more about the One resurrected Paul did not have them come back the the next day the “New day of assembly” he instructed them to come back and assemble the next Sabbath...

The next Sabbath almost the entire city was there...this is Antioch
Well, duh. Sunday as an assembly day hadn't been installed at that point.

85 Sabbaths are recorded as kept by the early church in scripture...
Which supports what I said. Maybe listen before responding? It works better than copy/pasting the same comments over and over.

God's Truth

Do you think that the purpose of God giving the Sabbath was so that you would only obey Him one day of the week? Or did He still not desire to be obeyed all day, every day?
The old testament if prophecies about Jesus Christ not yet revealed until the new testament.

If observing "special days" is worthless, why do so many promote the observance of Sunday,

Because they are in falseness too.

and why are blue laws found in America? Why did Poland just vote to phase out Sunday shopping by 2020? Why does the Pope and his followers promote Sunday worship and the Eucharist?

I go against all false teachings.

Doesn't seem so worthless in the eyes of the majority of Christendem. And they would be correct, it's not worthless to observe a "specific day". The "specific day" however, is that which the majority get wrong. It's the Sabbath Day we are to observe, not Sunday.

Special days are worthless when it comes to salvation.

Also, how can Jesus be the Sabbath rest, when the Sabbath rest is about spending a day worshipping Jesus? What is so negative about spending an entire day with Jesus? The Sabbath rest is a holy day, and Jesus is not a day.

We are to worship Jesus all day every day.

God's Truth

Jesus is our Sabbath rest, we are saved by faith, and not of by works. A NO WORK rule was in place for the Sabbath day. Faith and NO WORKS save us; however, Jesus says it is UNLAWFUL to do evil on the NO WORK day of the Sabbath, and Jesus said it was LAWFUL to do good on the NO WORK day of the Sabbath, see Luke 6:9. Don't be confused and think we are saved by faith means we do not have to do ANY works. Don't think it means we do not have to obey God. We have to have living faith, and that is faith with obedience. The works no one has to do anymore are these, but we still have to do good and obey Jesus:

TrevorL

Greetings again TheThirdAngel144,

I appreciate your latest response. I decided to review the thread again starting at your OP and listening again to the video and then considering our interaction. These are Posts #1, 3, 38, 43 and now your Post #66. There is a strong challenge in your thread title and your OP based upon the challenge in the video that to justify keeping Sunday that we need to prove that Sunday is the Christian Sabbath. My response was in Post #3 that both you and the video have made a strong affirmation of the need to keep the Sabbath. My answer was we do not need to keep the Sabbath but our rest is in Christ as he is the true Sabbath Matthew 11:25-30. I could summarise your Post #38 and my response Post #43, but some of this is in your latest Post #66.
There is no belief that "Thou shalt not kill", "Thou shalt not steal", etc. are simply the law of Moses (at least not generally). It is generally considered a Christian practice.
This is part of a larger consideration, the 10 Commandments and the Christian believer today. I noticed that you did not directly comment on what I stated about the 10th Commandment “Thou shalt not covet” as dealt with by Paul in Romans 7:7-12, and the contrast with Romans 8:1-3. Rather you highlight “Thou shalt not kill”, but I suggest that the teaching of Christ far surpasses this commandment in Matthew 5:21-26 where he delves into the very heart of man and his interaction with others. Paul in Ephesians 4:28 does not simply reiterate the commandment “Thou shalt not steal”, but he gives us a remarkable method to cure a bad habit of stealing, a process of sublimation or replacement therapy. So I suggest your view of the Sabbath Law, and especially the harshness of the video needs to be balanced and even dramatically replaced (to match the drama and strong statements of the video) by the peaceful and encouraging teaching of Christ and Paul on the Sabbath Rest Matthew 11:25-30, Hebrews 3 and 4. One feature of the video that by using it you seem to endorse, is that he alludes to or quotes from 2 Corinthians 3:6-18 by placing these words in the voice of his opponents. He does not explain these terms to my satisfaction.

If I may use an analogy. On a table is three different meals. One includes the SDA and possibly HW Armstrong view concerning the Sabbath. The second where Sunday is endorsed as the Sabbath. A third where they worship together possibly on Saturday night, Sunday or other convenient time, but do not hold this as representing the Sabbath. Your thread and video represents view 1, and mainly argues against view 2 in an attempt to prove view 1. I suggest that view 3 is correct and is mostly untouched by your suggestions.
And as I stated previously, most Christians also find value in resting with Christ and going to church to hear a sermon, and fellowship. That is also not considered the law of Moses. Yet somehow the only point that is literally considered the law of Moses, is the fact that we observe the 7th Day instead of the 1st Day. This logic does not follow through. There are no points in the Scripture where Sunday is dictated to be the day of rest and worship. Then it would only make sense that the 7th Day, which is written in the law, would still be required to be kept.
As per above, view 2 vs view 1, but does not answer view 3.
I also fail to understand how the summary of a law means you don't have to keep it's direct points. If I summarize the rules on this message board, it in no way diminishes your requirement to obey each and every single point. All I did was summarize it, not do away with the rules of the message board.
Nothing wrong with the morning and evening daily burnt offering, but when we understand how this is fulfilled in Christ, then during AD30 – AD70 we could look to the smoke rising every day and learn part of the lesson, but if we looked unto the dedication and glory revealed in Christ we would be more effectively transformed. Jesus never declared that when he had given himself fully to God, culminating in his crucifixion, death and resurrection that the burnt offering must immediately cease. But God removed it effectively in AD70 by the Romans.
Why is it not possible to, with a sincere and affectionate heart choose to spend the 7th Day Sabbath with Jesus, as dictated? We found His commandments, and thus sincerely sought to obey them, and share them with many. Why does this fall under the category of working for one's salvation, or under the law of Moses, especially considering the previous points I just mentioned?
Items 1-3 are not answered by any person on this mesage board. If you indeed have the verses, I would like to ask that you please cite them, and that directly. This whole conversation is about getting these points answered.
Daniel prayed three times a day, but he still kept the 7th day holy. The Sabbath commandment is not a replacement of one's day to day duties, nor was it ever intended to be. The multiple prayers were in complete harmony with the law of God. They did not "outshine" it, but rather did that which the law sought to teach them.
Much of what you say here is correct, but our rest is in Christ Matthew 11:25-30, Hebrews 3 and 4.

Kind regards
Trevor

clefty

He is not a period of time known as day after six others...no where does He call Himself a week day...no where do His followers claim Him to be...

He gives us rest and a Sabbath rest remains for His people...

He said He was the light of the world too...you would think we don’t need electricity or fire or the sun...He said He was the bread of life...do you stop eating then? He was offering a yoke to you actually wear one? You have taking what He means spiritually and you have applied it to the physical realm...He is water of life but we still need water yes?

NOW? You mean in the new covenant age after teaching and demonstrating how we should live then signing it with His blood and sealing it with His death well guess what...the covenant can NOT change after the testator is dead... is why His followers continue to do as He did...including Sabbath keeping NOT everyday or any other day...

“Now worthless to salvation”? LOL you are as silly as the rest of them around here...Sabbath NEVER saved...

It was even instituted when there was no NEED for salvation...And Sabbath was revealed to Israel AFTER THEY WERE SAVED...before they received the Law even...

And being ALREADY saved is WHY we keep it DUH...we are His and follow His example being created in His image and all that...

yup and that includes the 10 NOT 9 commandments...

God's Truth

He is not a period of time known as day after six others...no where does He call Himself a week day...no where do His followers claim Him to be...

He gives us rest and a Sabbath rest remains for His people...

He said He was the light of the world too...you would think we don’t need electricity or fire or the sun...He said He was the bread of life...do you stop eating then? He was offering a yoke to you actually wear one? You have taking what He means spiritually and you have applied it to the physical realm...He is water of life but we still need water yes?

NOW? You mean in the new covenant age after teaching and demonstrating how we should live then signing it with His blood and sealing it with His death well guess what...the covenant can NOT change after the testator is dead... is why His followers continue to do as He did...including Sabbath keeping NOT everyday or any other day...

“Now worthless to salvation”? LOL you are as silly as the rest of them around here...Sabbath NEVER saved...

It was even instituted when there was no NEED for salvation...And Sabbath was revealed to Israel AFTER THEY WERE SAVED...before they received the Law even...

And being ALREADY saved is WHY we keep it DUH...we are His and follow His example being created in His image and all that...

yup and that includes the 10 NOT 9 commandments...

Sounds to me like you are making my case.

The special days were about Jesus now they are worthless.

daqq

There is no belief that "Thou shalt not kill", "Thou shalt not steal", etc. are simply the law of Moses (at least not generally). It is generally considered a Christian practice. And as I stated previously, most Christians also find value in resting with Christ and going to church to hear a sermon, and fellowship. That is also not considered the law of Moses. Yet somehow the only point that is literally considered the law of Moses, is the fact that we observe the 7th Day instead of the 1st Day. This logic does not follow through. There are no points in the Scripture where Sunday is dictated to be the day of rest and worship. Then it would only make sense that the 7th Day, which is written in the law, would still be required to be kept.

The reason I did not dig in my own heels in this thread is because of the way your thread is titled. I understand it is because of the video: but because of the way it is titled, you basically go about to prove that others are not really Christians if you agree with the OP and thread title, (and go about to prove it). If you really want "proof" that the "Christian Sabbath" is Sunday all you need to do is ask the majority of Christians what day they rest, worship, and fellowship, and the majority will no doubt will tell you Sunday. Whether or not they are correct in that choice of day is beside the point because of how your thread title and the video are worded: but once you go about proving your point you end up accusing the majority of Christiandom of not being Christians because of an argument over a day of worship. Sorry but I see the video and OP statements as nothing more than SDA propaganda claiming that they are the only "true Christians" because they worship and fellowship on Saturday instead of Sunday.

clefty

Greetings again clefty, I have NEVER claimed that Sunday is the appointed day of rest. I have continually claimed that the true rest is in Jesus Matthew 11:28-30, Hebrews 3 and 4.
yup had just finished reading another’s posting...who also rejects what was made for man...

Some years ago there were some visiting Southern Baptists, and a major Baptist Church in our city invited the public to listen to them on Friday night and Saturday. I attended on the Friday night and listened to their younger speaker, and also some of their music presentation. We all sung some of the hymns or songs. We were invited to attend on Saturday afternoon, but I did not attend. Now what can you conclude about the local Baptist Church and these Southern Baptist preachers and musicians? Will you conclude that all of these taught Sabbath keeping?
is that their historically known custom?

When they were kicked out, did the infant Ekklesias meet on the Sabbath? If these Ekklesias were the Galatian Ekklesias, would Paul need to wait for each Sabbath to meet with the four different locations when he toured to confirm these meetings after the events of Acts 15 as mentioned in Acts 15:36, 16:1,4-5?

Kind regards
Trevor
not attending Sabbaths and teaching not to or to meet otherwise or merely any day everyday is exactly against temple Law the customs of their fathers which Paul took a vow to affirm that he upheld them...that the law was changed was false testimony...becoming a false teaching accepted in later century worship...but myriads of other believing Jews remained zealous for the Law...

You argue from silence that they met to worship on another day as a new teaching or custom...

clefty

Well, duh. Sunday as an assembly day hadn't been installed at that point.

This point was the time of the apostles and we see no other day established yet you said

“God gave the first day for assembly, at the time of the apostles.”

Which supports what I said. Maybe listen before responding? It works better than copy/pasting the same comments over and over.

No...seeing 85 Sundays recorded as new times of assembly established by God...now THAT would support what you are saying...

clefty

Sounds to me like
that right there...I think we found the problem

you are making my case.
confirmation of said problem...you don’t have a case

The special days were about Jesus now they are worthless.
thanks for your reaction...reveals the heart...Paul said they ARE shadows that still point...The letter of Hebrews affirms the same and insists that for His people a sabbath keeping (that is work six days and rest the seventh day) REMAINS...

As it is a sign which makes His Holy...and in the future Isaiah has all saved flesh down on the list as coming to worship Sabbath to Sabbath...

clefty

The reason I did not dig in my own heels in this thread is because of the way your thread is titled. I understand it is because of the video: but because of the way it is titled, you basically go about to prove that others are not really Christians if you agree with the OP and thread title, (and go about to prove it). If you really want "proof" that the "Christian Sabbath" is Sunday all you need to do is ask the majority of Christians what day they rest, worship, and fellowship, and the majority will no doubt will tell you Sunday. Whether or not they are correct in that choice of day is beside the point because of how your thread title and the video are worded: but once you go about proving your point you end up accusing the majority of Christiandom of not being Christians becauseof an argument over a day of worship. Sorry but I see the video and OP statements as nothing more than SDA propaganda claiming that they are the only "true Christians" because they worship and fellowship on Saturday instead of Sunday.

So it is the MAJORITY of Christiandom which establishes what Scripture teaches? So we need just to get the majority to kill lie steal fornicate practice idolatry...oh wait that IS a good point...

there is a reason the path which leads to life is narrow...

daqq

So it is the MAJORITY of Christiandom which establishes what Scripture teaches? So we need just to get the majority to kill lie steal fornicate practice idolatry...oh wait that IS a good point...

there is a reason the path which leads to life is narrow...

Try actually hearing what others say so that you do not make such a buffoon out of yourself. No wonder you cannot understand the scripture, no wonder you cannot understand the Gospel accounts containing the Testimony of Messiah, no wonder you uphold the Sanhedrin fourth-beast of the Apocalypse with its antichrist rulings and carnal injunctions. You should have listened and learned something by now but you cannot hear because you love the mark that is already plastered in the boil in your forehead via the Sanhedrin beast. You deny Messiah who nailed their faulty and carnal minded decrees, ordinances, and handwritten dogmas to the stake. The Torah is spiritual, but just as Paul says, your end is death because you walk according to the flesh. You think your path is the narrow way? Then why do you bow to the Sanhedrin beast that killed the Messiah? Two horns like a lamb but speaks like a dragon: Ananus ben Seth, Ab-bet-Din of the Sanhedrin, Yoseph Caiaphas, Nasi-Prince of the Sanhedrin, O dead man walking. :chuckle: