ECT PROTESTANT REFORMERS HAD NO LEGITIMATE MISSION FROM GOD TO REFORM THE CHURCH

DAN P

Of course not, since neither this biblical text nor any other teaches anything like the false 16th-century Protestant tradition of sola fide, and neither did the early Christian Church. For more info, see this and this.

I any case, your post fails to engage in the actual content of the OP, and so is simply off-topic. Try again.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Hi and we can not REFORM what is NOT in the bible , just like the words not found in tHE BIBLE , POPE or PURGATORY !!:D:D

DAN P

Last edited:

Cruciform

Hi and we can not REFORM what is NOT in the bible , just like the words not found in the bible , POPE or PURGATORY !!:D:D
We're still waiting for you to produce the verse that states that "Only words that appear explicitly in the Bible may be used by Christians to express their beliefs." Where is it?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
The Protestant reformers had no legitimate mission from God---or from someone given power by God---to reform the Church:

Jesus Christ instructed His Apostles to preach the Gospel to the whole world (Mt. 28:18-20; cf. 1 Tim. 3:15), therefore they had an "immediate" mission from God. St. Paul sent Timothy of Ephesus and Titus of Crete as Bishops to help him on his first mission, therefore they had a "mediate" mission from someone given the power by God to send them.

On the other hand, never have we seen any of the Protestant reformers show any mission from God or from anyone else to reform the Church. Rather it is readily apparent they wrongfully took it upon themselves to make reforms. "How shall they preach unless they be sent" (Rom. 10:15)?

No individual has the right to associate himself with the Apostles or attempt to act under their authority; the individual must be sent or commissioned with divine authority. "He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up another way, the same is a thief and a robber" (Jn. 10:1). Here we see Martin Luther openly agreeing with this.

Consider verses such as "As the Father hath sent me, I also send you" John 20:21 and "He that receiveth whomsoever I send, receiveth me" (Jn. 13:20; cf. Lk. 10:16).

How can people without any authority attempt to make such drastic decisions affecting a divinely founded, global Church? Laity or princes do not have authority or power to start such a mission, rather someone must be sent legitimately, in Apostolic fashion, such as from a Bishop, or their mission is null. "Neither doth any man take the honor to himself but he that is called by God, as Aaron was" (Heb. 5:4).

If you say the reformers were given appropriate mission to reform the Catholic Church, then we ask who is the authority that sent them? We know it was not the Catholic Church for the ideas of the Reformation are against Catholic teaching, and it was not the Lutheran and other Protestant churches for they were not yet formed when the Reformation was being organized. So on whose authority was the mission of the Reformation?

If the Church from which the Protestant reformers came were true, they can only be labeled heretics for having left it. And if the Church from which the reformers came were NOT true, then that church could not have given the reformers a true mission to reform the Catholic Church.

~ Saju Davis, via FACEBOOK (3-14-2015)

It was the Apostle Paul who was sent to the gentiles with
the Grace message. Peter and the rest preached the
"Kingdom message" to the House of Israel.

Cruciform

Have you ever provided an answer without the help of a link to a Catholic website?
Of course. However, I've found that if someone is unwilling to read a brief article, they're not going to accept anything that I might write on this forum either. The latter, then, ends up being nothing but a vast waste of my time.

If they're genuinely interested, they'll read the information provided. If not, then they won't care about what I say either. It's entirely up to them. They have to face God---not me---at the Judgment.

DAN P

We're still waiting for you to produce the verse that states that "Only words that appear explicitly in the Bible may be used by Christians to express their beliefs." Where is it?

Hi , so why do you show where they are in the bible and where they are stated ??:chuckle::chuckle:

dan p

brewmama

Hi and we can not REFORM what is NOT in the bible , just like the words not found in tHE BIBLE , POPE or PURGATORY !!:D:D

DAN P

You do realize that it is the Church that set the canon of the New Testament, right? You only HAVE the bible because the Church made it. You know, those bishops and popes.