Pros & Cons of Dorm Living

Freak

I spent a year and half living in a dorm while attending a college in Kentucky. I enjoyed some aspects of it but abhor some others like community restrooms...:vomit:

What are you thoughts on the pros & cons of Dorm living??

billwald

At my school dorm living was more expensive than living off campus. Dorms have more rules. Dorm food was probably more healthy but I take vitamin pills for health and eat for fun.

Candide1202

Dorms.... humm...

I attended a private christian university and living in the dorms reminded me of a 24-7 church trip... not to say that church is necessarily BAD but that living by riduclous standards that were set by someone you dont know... hummm...

When I say "riduclous" (sp) I am referring to fines, etc... where I attended you were fined if you were up and loud after 11... which is somewhat reasonable... another... selective music... i figured if i was paying to go there, i should get to listen to whatever i like, especially if it is not vulgar... a fine for listening to John Lennon, that is pathetic!

Geeze oh Pete...

I am sure that dormlife has pros... I am just not thinking of any right now... maybe that is because I am in a foul mood... i loathe compuserve!!!

:box:

Stoopid Redneck

I lived one semester on campus at a bible college and it was a sad way to live. I might be stoopid but I think that when a "christian" school creates a set of rules that exceed the limits that are set by scripture it demnostrates to all observers that the standards set by scripture are inadequate. I am not saying school souldn't have rules but it's important to remember that the bible sould be, at least, the source of the principles being enforced. There also must be some consistancy to rules enforced.
They must be consistantly enforced and be consistant in principle.

My school enforced at times and not at others. Punished students with out witnesses, gossip was all that was required. And their rules bordered on the insane.

For example, dating students can hold hands, but can not hold two hands at a time. (Is it just me or is the principle flawed?)
Their reasoning for this is that they don't want to offend any believers in the school. That would make sense to me except this is a school that trains students to be tribal missionarys.

Tribal missions?.... Where no real moral system exsists, people walk around naked, rape is common and in some cases excepted, stealing is OK, lying OK, murder not illegal. But the students are trained to react to others holding two hands, or others wearing an ear ring. They can't even leave their campus with out seeing these things going on, but they are taught these things are wrong and even sin.

New Tribes is the school you have been warned. I'm not telling not to go, but you have been warned. (You won't hear this from a school recruit)

This flawed logic has even slipped in to their doctrine giving them a "catholic church type of approach" to scripture.

I am Stoopid and you are not

I am Stoopid

:doh:

Mambajack

I lived at an all boys boarding school that was anglical, but it wasn't very strict or religous. Besides our Religous Studies class, and "complin" on Sunday nights, religion there was non-existant. I wasn't even a born again Christian at that stage. However, I'm going to a bible-college next year living in dorms and I hope they arent stupid like some of you have been complaining about. I won't stand for it anyway, though. I'm the kinda guy who refuses to accept something that isn't right.

-MJ

Shaun

glurg glurg

glurg glurg

I lived at Jester Dormitory my first year at the Univ. of Texas in Austin. I wouldn't ever do it again.

Let's just say I got sewage backwash in my sink during finals week.

Freak

Re: glurg glurg

Re: glurg glurg

Originally posted by Shaun
I lived at Jester Dormitory my first year at the Univ. of Texas in Austin. I wouldn't ever do it again.

Let's just say I got sewage backwash in my sink during finals week.

God have mercy :vomit:

Goose

I went to Indiana State University for 4 years. They were really great years of my life in a lot of ways. Good close friends are almost mandatory in the dorms. There are so many stupid students that it would just get really bothersome over time if you didn't have people to lean on. Even if you are well grounded in your faith, it can be tough.

anna

The dorms at the college I used to go to were cheaper and closer to all my classes. It was nice to be able to wake up and throw on some clothes 10mins before an 8am class, but evacuating the building because some idiot decides to have a cigarette or burns their dinner at 4am on a rainy day was never my cup of tea. Having an apartment is much better.:think:
ac

White

I too went to a private Christian college. Let me start with the pros:

1. I met some of my closest freinds in the dorms
2. All things considerred, the people there were probably better behaved than at a secular institution
3. The ease of getting to class
4. Not having to pay rent (there were housing costs, but they were low in comparison)
5. My second year R.D. and R.A. were great guys.
6. The experience of living away from mom and dad for once.

Cons
1. The guys were so pent up that they went crazy whenever a girl came around.
2. The guys were so pent up that there was more butt-slapping than I ever wanted to hear
3. Gang showers
4. There was no separation between upper classmen and lower classmen, so I got to witness some very interesting, and sometimes frightening behavior (Blowing-up an Elmo doll in the gang shower with two m-80's, guys climbing up to the ceiling like spiderman just to seehow mch it would hurt when they let go, one young man who lit his testicles on fire more than once--entertainment for visitors).
5. The guys dorms, and the girls dorms were completely separate, so everybody was bascally going crazy all the time (there are too many things to say on this topic).
6. Certain people only have one voice volume--LOUD!
7. Poor ventalation
8. Poor plumbing
9. Black Mold
10. The constant smell of refuse from toilets that certain other dorm mates didn't bother to plunge.

I am sure there are more, but I cannot think of them right away.

Freak

Originally posted by White
Cons
1. The guys were so pent up that they went crazy whenever a girl came around.
2. The guys were so pent up that there was more butt-slapping than I ever wanted to hear
3. Gang showers
4. There was no separation between upper classmen and lower classmen, so I got to witness some very interesting, and sometimes frightening behavior (Blowing-up an Elmo doll in the gang shower with two m-80's, guys climbing up to the ceiling like spiderman just to seehow mch it would hurt when they let go, one young man who lit his testicles on fire more than once--entertainment for visitors).
5. The guys dorms, and the girls dorms were completely separate, so everybody was bascally going crazy all the time (there are too many things to say on this topic).
6. Certain people only have one voice volume--LOUD!
7. Poor ventalation
8. Poor plumbing
9. Black Mold
10. The constant smell of refuse from toilets that certain other dorm mates didn't bother to plunge.

I am sure there are more, but I cannot think of them right away.

Lord have mercy :shocked:

Freak

Originally posted by Tye Porter
I was in the Marine Corps.
The epitome of dorm living, until you achieve a certain rank.
Let your imaginations run wild.
Add beer vending machines.
Add Barracks Bunnies.
Add weapons.

Great combination.

While living in Anchorage I stayed in the barracks at Ft. Richardson for a little awhile and I must admit it was pure chaos and then some.
:shut:

Goose

Originally posted by Tye Porter
The Barracks in any branch of the service, are like Las Vegas, "What happens here, stays here."
There are so many "Wrongs" with that statement, but it is true!
Something you need to...talk about Tye. hehe

gabby

CASA great!

CASA great!

Originally i am from Oklahoma,i am now in Cebu Philippines studying acting in a filmschool here and living in a dorm with a name.We call it 'casablanca"cause of it's style,actually it's not a typical dormitory, all of us call it home.I am a catholic but my roommate is not so we have this compromise that its okay for me to pray just that i don't disturb her.I have some pictures that i put in my blog guys if you want to see a happy dormitory you can look at it.My dormitory is facing the beach so it's kind of fresh....

Adam

Hall of Fame
Kind of strange that this thread has so many one post wonders or under 100 posters in it.

QueenAtHome

Dorm life....

I went to University of Northern Colorado. Freshman were required to live on campus unless they were 21 or were living with their legal guardian. Atleast that is what they told us.

Dorm food :vomit: No seriously I did :vomit: because it was just gross and not healthy. Then I learned that you could use your meal card at the campus food court. Not much better, but atleast the meals stayed down.

Before becoming my roommate, she felt safer sleeping in the lobby than she did in her own dorm. Her roommates were partiers and one day she woke up to a guy passed out in her room and another in the bathroom.

there is too much freedom when you live on campus.

The campus security that girls would give a call so they could get home safely was a great way for guys to pick up on gals.

you can party in a dorm. Not too hard because the RA is at a frat "meeting"

Firedrills are no fun when you live on the 17th floor.

You have to study in the laundry room so that people don't steal your laundry.

I would much rather go to class and then drive/walk back to my home.

I guess one pro came out of it...
Many nights of staying up late talking about all sorts of stuff lead to me opening up to what God had for me and I became a Christian my sophomore year.