Pro-life and Democrat

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

:yawn:
Get to the point or I'm moving on.

it's right there in that post i linked to - two questions at the end that you've been reluctant to answer"

...can you explain why these considerations (Bringing unwanted life into a possible world of irresponsible abuse, neglect, violence and poverty) would be of importance before birth but not after birth?
and this one, which I'm sure you'll ignore for the 7th time:
...if the result of birth is prolonged suffering (of the child), why wouldn't you be in favor of allowing the mother the choice to end it (by killing the child)?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
my discussion with quip is an attempt to understand the reasoning behind

1. allowing a woman the choice to kill her child before he is born
and
2. denying a woman the choice to kill her child after he is born

(one reason) - - Bodily autonomy.

which logically, rationally and factually exists before and after delivery
Sure. Bodily autonomy exist for everyone. The specifics of pregnancy are germane to the issue of abortion.
In what way do “the specifics of pregnancy” influence bodily autonomy of the mother?
Do you allow the mother her bodily autonomy (which I understand to mean the right to do with her body as she wishes) after delivery or not?
You're going in circles...that's been answered.
Can you summarize or give a link?
Not doing your leg work for you sorry. Scroll, go back a few pages.
Ok, took a look – it’s all over the place.
Looks like my last point was this (paraphrased):
The new mother’s autonomy is more severely impacted by your insistence that she care for the newborn than it is by her preborn child

Therefore, “bodily autonomy” is not a valid rationale for allowing a woman the choice to kill her child before he is born and denying a woman the choice to kill her child after he is born
Well, no. No more "severely impacted" than yours or mine.
You’re not insisting that you or I care for her newborn child. You are insisting that the mother care for the newborn child, instead of allowing her the choice that you had granted her moments before
More/less.
I can't insist she cares anymore than I can insist you do.
We determined in #1 that:
Are you saying that the mother of the newborn does have the moral responsibility to care for the infant?

So perhaps “insist” was a poor choice of words. You are claiming that the mother has a moral responsibility to care for the newborn child, instead of allowing her the choice that you had granted her moments before

Though it's the law and my opinion that she has a moral duty to the child... even if that requires a new caregiver/environment.
I’m not interested in the law, and in the scenario we’ve been discussing there’s been no mention of new caregivers or environment

And so, we return to:

The new mother’s autonomy is more severely impacted by your insistence that she care for the newborn than it is by her preborn child

Therefore, “bodily autonomy” is not a valid rationale for allowing a woman the choice to kill her child before he is born and denying a woman the choice to kill her child after he is born

quip

BANNED
Banned

We determined in #1 that:

So perhaps “insist” was a poor choice of words. You are claiming that the mother has a moral responsibility to care for the newborn child, instead of allowing her the choice that you had granted her moments before

I’m not interested in the law, and in the scenario we’ve been discussing there’s been no mention of new caregivers or environment

And so, we return to:

Nope. Doesn't follow.
Try working it out again.

quip

BANNED
Banned
you're conceding this one too?

why don't you take a break and come back to them in a day or two - i'd hate to see you give up on all of them

Conceding to what?

You've yet to logically establish that in-utero dependency is equal to that of ex-utero dependency.

It's called equivocation. You're declaring a subjective moral assertion rather than employing objective logic.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's called equivocation.
Nope.

It's called an opposing idea.

We declare personhood to be conferred at conception. That's supported by rock-solid biological facts.

You think that a baby gains personhood at some arbitrary and malleable point based on a standard that you won't share, and if you did state it, you'd quickly be shown as a hypocrite.

Equivocation the logical fallacy of using a term in multiple contexts without clearly differentiating between usages.

It looks like you have no idea what you're talking about.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

quip

BANNED
Banned
Nope.

It's called an opposing idea.

We declare personhood to be conferred at conception. That's supported by rock-solid biological facts.

You think that a baby gains personhood at some arbitrary and malleable point based on a standard that you won't share, and if you did state it, you'd quickly be shown as a hypocrite.
That's all fine and well...but it's not the subject matter currently being discussed. Hold your water.

Equivocation the logical fallacy of using a term in multiple contexts without clearly differentiating between usages.

Precisely. ok doser, is using the term 'dependency' to equate in-utero dependency to that of ex-utero dependency. Effectively he's - as you noted -
"using a term (dependency) in multiple contexts without clearly differentiating between usages."

It looks like you have no idea what you're talking about.

Sure thing :up:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's ... not the subject matter currently being discussed.

Actually, it is. You just desperately do not want the discussion to be over personhood.

ok doser, is using the term 'dependency' to equate in-utero dependency to that of ex-utero dependency.

Nope.

We hold that personhood is conferred at conception. A logical outworking of that is for location to be irrelevant to personhood. Thus to speak of dependency as if it has some relevance would be to assume the truth of your assertions.

Like I said, you're just making this up as you go in order to justify your lust for child killing.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

quip

BANNED
Banned
Actually, it is. You just desperately do not want the discussion to be over personhood.

Nope.

We hold that personhood is conferred at conception. A logical outworking of that is for location to be irrelevant to personhood. Thus to speak of dependency as if it has some relevance would be to assume the truth of your assertions.

I'm well aware of your (and ok doser's) position on the matter. Both of your moral stances must ignore location of the fetus to assert and create moral prevalence. Yet, the fetus' location is vital to the very prohibition of its termination from the womb...else you've nothing to morally contend.
Hence, you only ignore location when the facts of it are no longer convenient to your moral rhetoric.
It's simply special pleading...among other fallacies.

Like I said, you're just making this up as you go in order to justify your lust for child killing.

"Like you keep saying"....your repetition of nonsense still remains nonsensical.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I'm well aware of your (and ok doser's) position on the matter. Both of your moral stances must ignore location of the fetus to assert and create moral prevalence. Yet, the fetus' location is vital to the very prohibition of its termination from the womb...else you've nothing to morally contend.
Hence, you only ignore location when the facts of it are no longer convenient to your moral rhetoric.
It's simply special pleading...among other fallacies.

"Like you keep saying"....your repetition of nonsense still remains nonsensical.
So if location is important, then was it wrong for the Germans to kill jews outside of the concentration camps/gas chambers, while being "ok" when the Jews were in them?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Location location location.

You said "location" is what makes the difference between it being murder versus "choice."

So I was testing your claim.