Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
By Ron Strom
[size=-1]© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com [/size]

A new study on the effects of preschool on children, which finds attendance harms kids' emotional and social development, is being used by a homeschool organization to help encourage parents to educate their children at home. The study, conducted at UC Berkeley, found that while youngsters gained cognitive abilities via the preschool experience, behavioral problems also increased – especially among kids from wealthy families.

"The biggest eye-opener is that the suppression of social and emotional development, stemming from long hours in preschool, is felt most strongly by children from better-off families," said UC Berkeley sociologist and study co-author Bruce Fuller.

On average, the report finds that the earlier a child enters a preschool center, the slower his or her pace of social development, while cognitive skills in pre-reading and math are stronger when children first enter a preschool program between the ages of 2 and 3.

"Our results for the intensity of attending a center program – measured in hours per week and months per year – are worrisome, while varying across different types of families and children," the report says.

The study found that children who attended preschool at least 15 hours a week displayed more negative social behaviors when compared with their stay-at-home peers.

According to a statement from Berkeley, the research team found that more than 1.4 million children, ages 3 or 4, across the nation are enrolled in preschool programs and attend six hours or more daily. About 5.2 million children – including children under age 5 – attend preschool overall, although Hispanic children are less likely to enter a preschool than white and black youngsters. Nearly two-thirds of all 4-year-olds nationwide attend preschool in the year before starting kindergarten.

Fuller says those elected officials pushing for compulsory preschool should rethink the idea.

"The report's a bit sobering for governors and mayors – including those in California, Florida, Georgia, New York, North Carolina and Oklahoma – who are getting behind universal preschool," Fuller said. The report, entitled "The Influence of Preschool Centers on Children's Development Nationwide: How Much Is Too Much?" looked at 14,000 kindergartners across the nation.

The Morningstar Education Network is using the results of the survey to point parents in the direction of homeschooling. The organization sponsors a website, ConsideringHomeschooling.org, to encourage Christian parents with preschoolers and those with kids in secular schools to educate their kids at home. "These negative social behaviors children are displaying are getting worse," said Denise Kanter, Morningstar's research adviser, in a statement. "A child's success in life and academic performance hinges on their healthy social and emotional development. Young children need to be at home bonding with their mothers and fathers."

Cite

erinmarie

:thumb: I sent this to my mother- in-law. She acts like I'm abusing my kids by not sending them to pre-school. Silly momma.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
erinmarie said:
:thumb: I sent this to my mother- in-law. She acts like I'm abusing my kids by not sending them to pre-school. Silly momma.

That brings back memories of what my mother-in-law thought of me when I first started homeschooling. I think my husband's side of the family thought, "Oh great, he married one of those weirdos who think people should homeschool". :D

the Sibbie

erinmarie said:
I just told Turbo before I saw your post that we should send it to her! :thumb: :chuckle: He hasn't read it yet, but he thinks it won't convince her. She'll probably say, "See, they have better math and reading skills."

The only reason I can think of that they have better math and reading skills, would be because the teachers have nothing better to do than read to the kids and teach them math. Stay at home moms probably don't spend that much time on reading and math because they have other duties (well..maybe some of them). But at least the kids wouldn't be raised by other kids.

Carver

That study is all fine and good, and I like homeschooling better than public education (though I was publicly schooled, and don't yet have kids), but, it doesn't seem to me like it means a whole lot. Here's an example why:
The study found that children who attended preschool at least 15 hours a week displayed more negative social behaviors when compared with their stay-at-home peers.
Okay, so preschool is worse than staying at home, but how much worse. If 'more negative behaviours' means Dylan Clebold and Eric Harris, then yes, this is huge. But if all it means is that they threw one more tantrum than their stay-at-home counterparts, it doesn't mean a whole lot. It still shows that preschool isn't the best answer, but it doesn't show that homeschooling is a whole lot better. I'm not saying homeschooling isn't a whole lot better, in fact, I think it is, but this study doesn't show that.

The biggest problem with the study isn't the lack of precision in the language though. It doesn't seem to take into account parenting, which is the fundamental issue behind it all. All the homeschoolers I've known were more successful than most of the public school parents I've known could have been, because they were just better parents. Good parents will make better homeschooling parents than not-so-good parents will. It seems to me that behind what the study found is the fact that good parents don't need to send their children away, because they can handle their children themselves. And parenting seems to be the key issue behind the children's social behaviours.

Aimiel

An independent study of two children by myself has revealed the opposite of what this study has concluded. I've discoverd that my neice, who stayed at home with her mother, who I suspect was abusive, so it would probably invalidate my study, has far more abberant behavior (withdrawn, thumb-sucking and rebellion) than my daughter, who went to pre-school. My daughter is very well-adjusted, socially active, and has tremendous cognitive skills. Maybe in the granola state the kids they've studied (children whose parents are fruits, nuts and flakes) are the reason for the results they got.

stunrut

Carver said:
That study is all fine and good, and I like homeschooling better than public education (though I was publicly schooled, and don't yet have kids), but, it doesn't seem to me like it means a whole lot. Here's an example why:
Okay, so preschool is worse than staying at home, but how much worse. If 'more negative behaviours' means Dylan Clebold and Eric Harris, then yes, this is huge. But if all it means is that they threw one more tantrum than their stay-at-home counterparts, it doesn't mean a whole lot. It still shows that preschool isn't the best answer, but it doesn't show that homeschooling is a whole lot better. I'm not saying homeschooling isn't a whole lot better, in fact, I think it is, but this study doesn't show that.

The biggest problem with the study isn't the lack of precision in the language though. It doesn't seem to take into account parenting, which is the fundamental issue behind it all. All the homeschoolers I've known were more successful than most of the public school parents I've known could have been, because they were just better parents. Good parents will make better homeschooling parents than not-so-good parents will. It seems to me that behind what the study found is the fact that good parents don't need to send their children away, because they can handle their children themselves. And parenting seems to be the key issue behind the children's social behaviours.

Although preschool issues don't always concerning homeschoolers I have to agree with Carver. Most homeschooling parents are loving attentive parents.

Sure there are a lot of great parents that send their kids to public schools but I believe the ratios skew the results wildly. This study and it's conclusions and somewhat like giving one group apples and giving another group oranges and concluding that apparently neither group likes bananas.