Pediatrician refuses to care for lesbians' baby

TracerBullet

Pediatrician Refuses Care for Baby of Lesbians

So is this different than the whole "wedding" cake issue for same-sex couples? My take is that it is different - a pediatrician cares for a child who finds itself in the situation it's in through no choice of its own. This is about caring for the child, not the guardians of the child. Early Christians would do something similar when they would go to the cliffs where the Romans would leave babies they didn't want - and take them in themselves. They weren't validating the choice to abandon a baby, but doing what they could for it.

When the bible says that the rain falls on the just and the unjust, it means God provides for everyone to some degree. This wouldn't be justifying a homosexual couple nearly the same way providing a wedding cake for a same-sex ceremony would.

But that's just my take. Even this doctor apologized to the couple and said that she felt she couldn't have any meaningful relationship with them because of their differences. Is that a valid reason not to treat a child?

I don't see this as an issue of choice. I believe the doctor should have the right to do what she did. But was she right in doing so?

Are there other factors I'm not taking into consideration?

This is of course a consequence of supporting discrimination and using religion to justify it.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes. Private Practice only. And I would agree that she has the right but wasn't necessarily right in doing what she did. But the reasoning that she is doing it out of hate is, at best, one dimensional. By that I mean that that is simply one possible reason and the physician has to take into consideration a whole host of factors that make personal feelings just one of many matters that need to be addressed. The hatred reason is simply the most emotionally charged (which goes right along with the whole demanding of rights that is the first thing people seem to go to in these situations - on both sides). If you were a doctor and were emotionally or spiritually very conflicted about something, would it be right of you to try and push through in spite of your feelings? I don't know if that can be answered universally. What other factors are important here?

The reason I used the word hate has more to do with the patient than the parents. The child's sexuality is not in question. In this case, the physician, due to his/her disdain of the parent/caregivers is making a decision to withhold treatment from an innocent child.

My comparison would be to those who use rape as a reason to abort. The most important person involved in BOTH situations should be the child. The child is the focus of my concern.

I can support the right of physician in a private practice and still disagree with their character/reasoning/morals, etc.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Pediatrician Refuses Care for Baby of Lesbians

But that's just my take. Even this doctor apologized to the couple and said that she felt she couldn't have any meaningful relationship with them because of their differences. Is that a valid reason not to treat a child?

I don't see this as an issue of choice. I believe the doctor should have the right to do what she did. But was she right in doing so?

Are there other factors I'm not taking into consideration?

pro-life? :think: . . . :plain:

TracerBullet

what's wrong with being discriminating?

Ask the families of these gentlemen that question

t1larg.lynch.gi.jpg

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Ask the families of these gentlemen that question

t1larg.lynch.gi.jpg

you're a retard

and a hypocrite

i'm sure you would reject a pediatrician who was a known pedophile

i suspect the families of those unfortunate young men viewed whites witha discriminating eye, and with just cause

quip

BANNED
Banned
how do you feel about black parents seeking a black pediatrician and rejecting for consideration other pediatricians based on their ethnicity?

I feel happy they enjoy the freedom to make such consumer choices.

quip

BANNED
Banned
me too :idunno:

why shouldn't a doctor enjoy the same freedom when choosing with whom he wishes to enter into a business arrangement?

They do.

It's there integrity, character and professionalism at stake here ...not thier rights.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
They do.

It's there integrity, character and professionalism at stake here ...not thier rights.

give it time:

Krista and Jami Contreras are not suing Roi. They concede that Roi did nothing illegal — which is precisely what they have a problem with: There are few laws on the books that protect the LGBT community from discrimination.

"It's a very scary thing," said attorney Dana Nessel, who has handled several discrimination cases involving the gay community, including the same-sex marriage case that's going to be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court in April. "We don't have special protections for LGBT individuals."

“I was completely dumbfounded. We just looked at each other and said, 'Did we hear that correctly?'

Currently, 22 states have laws that prohibit doctors from discriminating against someone based on their sexual orientation. Michigan is not one of these states.

resodko

BANNED
Banned

traci's bigoted against those who accept God's Word as Truth

a known pedophile would be unable to legally treat children.

not unless they had lost their licence to practice

and thank you for conceding the point :)

Are you saying you would be to cowardly to ask your question to the families and loved ones of those men?

what, whether or not they discriminated against white people based on their experience?

no, i wouldn't hesitate to ask them that :idunno:

Tinark

in a private practice? she should be free to choose her client base as she wishes - include or exclude fags, prostitutes, blacks - whatever strikes her fancy

in the er?

nope

Which one of those categories does the baby fit under?