Pastors

Lucky

Hall of Fame
truthman said:
I disagree with your non-use of the title Pastor. Pastor is a title given by God to those who hold that office in the church.
Where in the Bible is "Pastor" used as a title? Show me a verse that contains "Pastor Paul", "Pastor Timothy", "Pastor Silas", etc.
Reverend on the other hand is inappropriate as it assume the person being referred to is 'more revered' than others in the room.
From my observation, pastors are often more revered than others in the room too.

Mr. 5020

Lucky said:
Where in the Bible is "Pastor" used as a title? Show me a verse that contains "Pastor Paul", "Pastor Timothy", "Pastor Silas", etc.

From my observation, pastors are often more revered than others in the room too.
As far as I know, the word pastor is only in the Bible one time.
Ephesians 4:11
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
But in this phrase, it seems like a title to me.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Caledvwlch said:
If nothing else, Shepherd might be a more Biblically appropriate title.
Pastor means shepherd. They're synonyms.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
As far as I know, the word pastor is only in the Bible one time.
Ephesians 4:11
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
But in this phrase, it seems like a title to me.
In the NT, in the translation I'm using (KJV), that is the only time it's used. Would you say those are titles or roles some members take on in the Church (Body of Christ)? They look like roles to me. I know Paul is sometimes referred to as "Apostle Paul", but even that I don't think is in the Bible. And if those are titles, why don't you ever hear "Prophet Bob", "Evangelist Jack", or "Teacher Phil"?

Mr. 5020

Lucky said:
In the NT, in the translation I'm using (KJV), that is the only time it's used. Would you say those are titles or roles some members take on in the Church (Body of Christ)? They look like roles to me. I know Paul is sometimes referred to as "Apostle Paul", but even that I don't think is in the Bible. And if those are titles, why don't you ever hear "Prophet Bob", "Evangelist Jack", or "Teacher Phil"?
A title does not have to come before your name.
Romans 11:13 (KJV)
For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:

2 Corinthians 1:1 (KJV)
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
A title does not have to come before your name.
Romans 11:13 (KJV)
For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:

2 Corinthians 1:1 (KJV)
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:
Those don't sound like formal titles to me, though they are perfect descriptions of Paul's role. If you were talking to Paul, would you say "Paul-an-apostle-of-Jesus-Christ-by-the-will-of-God, can I get you a glass of water?" Of course not.

Mr. 5020

Lucky said:
Those don't sound like formal titles to me. If you were talking to Paul, would you say "Paul-an-apostle-of-Jesus-Christ-by-the-will-of-God, can I get you a glass of water?" Of course not.
No, we say "Apostle Paul." :D

dataanapar

Lucky said:
Those don't sound like formal titles to me. If you were talking to Paul, would you say "Paul-an-apostle-of-Jesus-Christ-by-the-will-of-God, can I get you a glass of water?" Of course not.

I would say that. Just as I would address Christ as "Jesus Christ, Lord and Saviour of my soul".

Mr. 5020

dataanapar said:
I would say that. Just as I would address Christ as "Jesus Christ, Lord and Saviour of my soul".
I agree.

Geez, Lucky, why do you have to make things so complicated? From now on, instead of saying "Pastor Dwayne," I'll say, "Dwayne, the guy who preaches on Sunday and Wednesday and has spiritual authority over the church." Is that better?

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
No, we say "Apostle Paul." :D
That's when it becomes a formal title. I believe there is potential danger in using our roles in the Church as titles, especially when "Pastor" is the only title used. I have no problem with saying "Jethro is a pastor over at Warmpews Church in Townsville", that's describing his role. When it's "Pastor Jethro", that's another story. It's easy to see the potential danger in using titles like "Father", "Priest", "Reverend", "Pope", but "Pastor" often gets a free pass. Just not from me. :D

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
From now on, instead of saying "Pastor Dwayne," I'll say, "Dwayne, the guy who preaches on Sunday and Wednesday and has spiritual authority over the church." Is that better?
Would calling him Dwayne be too complicated for you?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Lucky said:
Would calling him Dwayne be too complicated for you?
When we use the title "Pastor Dwayne" we can quickly explain Dwayne's position in the church with one word that everyone is already up to speed on.

When we say "Pastor Dwayne" we are saying....

Dwayne is the shepherd of our flock.

Sozo

Knight said:
When we use the title "Pastor Dwayne" we can quickly explain Dwayne's position in the church with one word that everyone is already up to speed on.

When we say "Pastor Dwayne" we are saying....

Dwayne is the shepherd of our flock.

I think that is fine, if you are not addressing Dwayne.

Sozo

Knight said:

In other words, if you want to call him Pastor Dwayne when speaking to other people, it is fine, because it gives them a reference of which Dwayne, and what his position is. But, there is no reason to say "How are you today, Pastor Dwayne".

See what I'm saying Administrator Knight?