Parents, 54 Unique Benefits of Homeschooling

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
By Joel Turtel
NewsWithViews.com

Parents, is homeschooling the right choice for you and your children? Maybe you think you don’t have the time to homeschool because you work. Perhaps you don’t have confidence in your ability to teach your kids because you never took “teaching” courses.

But consider the alternative. Public schools can destroy your children’s self-esteem, destroy their ability to read, strangle their love of learning, put them in physical and moral danger, and wreck their future.

In contrast, here’s 54 unique benefits homeschooling can give you and your kids, as written and explained by Laura B., a smart, wonderful wife, mother of three, homeschooler, and business owner who works from home and still focuses on her family!

Homeschooling (or low-cost internet private schools), can have the following extraordinary benefits for you and your children:

1. Be with Your Family
2. Set Your Own Schedule
3. Vacation When You Want
4. Choose curriculum that best suits the needs of your child
5. Be totally aware of the state and progress of your child's education
6. Keep your child away from un-necessary peer pressure
7. Keep your child away from the bad influence of other children
8. Love, nurture, and teach your child the character and morals you value most
9. Make learning fun
10. Make learning as "experiential" as you want
11. Don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to get your child dressed and fed and off to school where their so tired they don't learn well anyway.
12. Break up the day however you want to fit your child's learning attention span
13. Teach your child without any "assumed limitations". Teach multiple languages, develop one skill or subject--the sky's the limit
14. What you teach an older child naturally filters down to the younger child(ren) making learning must easier and faster for siblings
15. Teach at the pace and developmental stage appropriate for your child
16. Avoid educational "labeling"
17. Keep your child as far away from drugs as possible
18. Never have to worry about bomb scares or mass shootings
19. Allow your child to do think, discuss, and explore in ways not possible in a classroom setting
20. Constant positive reinforcement and gentle correction. No abusive words or actions that scar your child's psyche
21. Don't use the school system as a babysitter. You only need a few hours for learning--the rest of the day is filled with unnecessary "busy work"
22. Develop life skills such as cooking, cleaning, and organizing that are easily learned with the additional time spent at home
23. Spend as much time outdoors as you want to enjoy nature and the world around us
24. Teach the value of responsibility by providing daily jobs
25. To make money management as natural as breathing by allowing even small children to do tasks, earn money, save it, and spend it in an appropriate manner.
26. Never have your child beat up by a bully. Teach self-defense skills that will enable him to deal with any situation but not until he is mature enough to handle the emotional aspects of confrontation
27. No pressure or set "expectations" from teachers on a younger sibling that follows an older sibling in the same school
28. Be around when your child needs to talk
29. Take a break when your child needs a break
30. Bond as a family through family group activities
31. Pass on your religious beliefs and morals to your children and stay away from the "indoctrination" of other school systems
32. Teach sex education when you and how you want
33. Develop your child's imagination and teach diverse problem solving skills instead of one institutionalized method of thinking
34. Unlimited possibilities for extra curricular activities that interest your child having to live up to the expectations or skills of others.
35. Develop the individualism of your child
36. Avoid traditional school "group activities" that may leave one student doing all the work or ruining it for everyone else.
37. Never have your child feel the failure, embarrassment, or teasing from "failing" a grade
38. To keep your children out of the care, custody, and control or people you don't know and who naturally teach their philosophy of life whether they realize it or not
39. No opportunity for your child to "sluff off", "snow-blow", or "just get by" with academics
40. To have your child learn initiative naturally as there's no peer pressure or fear of embarrassing himself
41. Allow your child to have input and say in subject matter and style
42. Allow your child to focus on growth and development--not following the latest fad or being in a certain group
43. So your child will only be surrounded by people who love him, encourage him, and want the best for him.
44. Make sure your child doesn't end up graduating without knowing how to read or knowing other basic skills due to educational failings of your local schools.
45. Keep your child out of private schools that have peer pressure, teacher criticism, drugs, sex, and alcohol that your child never needs to be around
46. Avoid grading scales and testing that gives no positive benefit to your child
47. Not to give the state or federal government control of your child that they assume is theirs
48. To easily pass on your unique heritage or language to your child
49. So your child is not limited by "age" or "grade" to advance or explore academics in which they are interested or gifted
50. To teach your children to enjoy life
51. To allow your children to go to work with Mom or Dad when you all want--not just on the one "go to work with a parent holiday"
52. As many field trips as you want, to places that interest your child
53. To just take a day off when everyone feels like it
54. Flexibility to switch or experiment with different curriculum

Parents, if you are disgusted with public schools and want your children to have the great education they deserve, why not consider homeschooling? Millions of parents now homeschool their kids, and many of these parents are only high-school graduates.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
55. Never having a child who refuses to do his work.

My sister-in-law is a teacher and it amazes me when she talks about how so many students are doing poorly because they refuse to do their homework. So Johnny gets an F in math not as a reflexion of how poorly he's doing in this subject but how lazy he is.

I'm trying to imagine one of my kids simply refusing to do their homework. :think:

:rotfl:

Yeah, right! That's a good one!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Our kids cannot refuse to do their school work. Not an option. They don't even consider it, for that would be defiance, for which we have a zero tolerance policy in our house. They do it, and they're still done with all their school work loooong before public school kids are done with school, not to mention the after-school homework those kids have to do.

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
55. Never having a child who refuses to do his work.

My sister-in-law is a teacher and it amazes me when she talks about how so many students are doing poorly because they refuse to do their homework. So Johnny gets an F in math not as a reflexion of how poorly he's doing in this subject but how lazy he is.

Also - I don't understand the concept of homework - I mean, these kids are in school for 8 hours a day - isn't that enough time to get the work done? :doh:

It's like - what the heck are they doing all day if they still have 4 hours of homework? :idunno:

nicholsmom

By Joel Turtel
NewsWithViews.com

Parents, is homeschooling the right choice for you and your children? Maybe you think you don’t have the time to homeschool because you work. Perhaps you don’t have confidence in your ability to teach your kids because you never took “teaching” courses.

But consider the alternative. Public schools can destroy your children’s self-esteem, destroy their ability to read, strangle their love of learning, put them in physical and moral danger, and wreck their future.

In contrast, here’s 54 unique benefits homeschooling can give you and your kids, as written and explained by Laura B., a smart, wonderful wife, mother of three, homeschooler, and business owner who works from home and still focuses on her family!

Homeschooling (or low-cost internet private schools), can have the following extraordinary benefits for you and your children:

1. Be with Your Family
2. Set Your Own Schedule
3. Vacation When You Want
4. Choose curriculum that best suits the needs of your child
5. Be totally aware of the state and progress of your child's education
6. Keep your child away from un-necessary peer pressure
7. Keep your child away from the bad influence of other children
8. Love, nurture, and teach your child the character and morals you value most
9. Make learning fun
10. Make learning as "experiential" as you want
11. Don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to get your child dressed and fed and off to school where their so tired they don't learn well anyway.
12. Break up the day however you want to fit your child's learning attention span
13. Teach your child without any "assumed limitations". Teach multiple languages, develop one skill or subject--the sky's the limit
14. What you teach an older child naturally filters down to the younger child(ren) making learning must easier and faster for siblings
15. Teach at the pace and developmental stage appropriate for your child
16. Avoid educational "labeling"
17. Keep your child as far away from drugs as possible
18. Never have to worry about bomb scares or mass shootings
19. Allow your child to do think, discuss, and explore in ways not possible in a classroom setting
20. Constant positive reinforcement and gentle correction. No abusive words or actions that scar your child's psyche
21. Don't use the school system as a babysitter. You only need a few hours for learning--the rest of the day is filled with unnecessary "busy work"
22. Develop life skills such as cooking, cleaning, and organizing that are easily learned with the additional time spent at home
23. Spend as much time outdoors as you want to enjoy nature and the world around us
24. Teach the value of responsibility by providing daily jobs
25. To make money management as natural as breathing by allowing even small children to do tasks, earn money, save it, and spend it in an appropriate manner.
26. Never have your child beat up by a bully. Teach self-defense skills that will enable him to deal with any situation but not until he is mature enough to handle the emotional aspects of confrontation
27. No pressure or set "expectations" from teachers on a younger sibling that follows an older sibling in the same school
28. Be around when your child needs to talk
29. Take a break when your child needs a break
30. Bond as a family through family group activities
31. Pass on your religious beliefs and morals to your children and stay away from the "indoctrination" of other school systems
32. Teach sex education when you and how you want
33. Develop your child's imagination and teach diverse problem solving skills instead of one institutionalized method of thinking
34. Unlimited possibilities for extra curricular activities that interest your child having to live up to the expectations or skills of others.
35. Develop the individualism of your child
36. Avoid traditional school "group activities" that may leave one student doing all the work or ruining it for everyone else.
37. Never have your child feel the failure, embarrassment, or teasing from "failing" a grade
38. To keep your children out of the care, custody, and control or people you don't know and who naturally teach their philosophy of life whether they realize it or not
39. No opportunity for your child to "sluff off", "snow-blow", or "just get by" with academics
40. To have your child learn initiative naturally as there's no peer pressure or fear of embarrassing himself
41. Allow your child to have input and say in subject matter and style
42. Allow your child to focus on growth and development--not following the latest fad or being in a certain group
43. So your child will only be surrounded by people who love him, encourage him, and want the best for him.
44. Make sure your child doesn't end up graduating without knowing how to read or knowing other basic skills due to educational failings of your local schools.
45. Keep your child out of private schools that have peer pressure, teacher criticism, drugs, sex, and alcohol that your child never needs to be around
46. Avoid grading scales and testing that gives no positive benefit to your child
47. Not to give the state or federal government control of your child that they assume is theirs
48. To easily pass on your unique heritage or language to your child
49. So your child is not limited by "age" or "grade" to advance or explore academics in which they are interested or gifted
50. To teach your children to enjoy life
51. To allow your children to go to work with Mom or Dad when you all want--not just on the one "go to work with a parent holiday"
52. As many field trips as you want, to places that interest your child
53. To just take a day off when everyone feels like it
54. Flexibility to switch or experiment with different curriculum

Parents, if you are disgusted with public schools and want your children to have the great education they deserve, why not consider homeschooling? Millions of parents now homeschool their kids, and many of these parents are only high-school graduates.

While I agree with these points, it worries me a bit that this "smart" woman has grammatical & spelling errors in this text. I'm assuming that this list was published; so why did the editor let these get by?

Choleric

thank God that I have a wife who is as committed as I am to never send our children to school, public or private. She is a great blessing and she does a great job with our (almost) 5 year old, who by the way can count to 40, read and write (print and some script) and absolutely loves school!!

It always amazes me the looks people give us when we tell them our kids are home schooled.

The funniest one is when people say, 'well how will they learn social skills?' I try to stay calm, but who in the world would assume a bunch of delinquent, out of control children are the best people to teach other kids social skills? It is hysterical...

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
The funniest one is when people say, 'well how will they learn social skills?' I try to stay calm, but who in the world would assume a bunch of delinquent, out of control children are the best people to teach other kids social skills? It is hysterical...

:rotfl: No Joke!

When people ask us about that, I simply say - The "socialization" aspect is the very reason why we DON'T send our kids to public school.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
thank God that I have a wife who is as committed as I am to never send our children to school, public or private. She is a great blessing and she does a great job with our (almost) 5 year old, who by the way can count to 40, read and write (print and some script) and absolutely loves school!!

It always amazes me the looks people give us when we tell them our kids are home schooled.

I know what you mean, Choleric. When I first told my mom and her husband that I was going to homeschool my daughter (in second grade at the time), my mom's husband told me that seeing the violence and drug use and sexual activities that go on in schools are necessary for "proper social development." I thought he was nuts. But, by the time we had homeschooled for a year and a half, my mom's husband saw that homeschooling was the best option for us and started trying to talk my two sisters into homeschooling their children. :)

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm with you guys. That whole "social skills" argument is absolutely ludicrous. In public school, I learned:
-how to disrespect my teachers
-how to disrespect girls
-how to mock and degrade people that I thought I could beat up
-how to try to be cool
-how to talk dirty
-how to tell vile jokes
-how to cheat
-how to be someone I didn't really want to be
-how to smoke (didn't last too long, thankfully)
-how to be a drunk, at 16
-how to reject God and my upbringing, because those things weren't cool

And that was when the schools in my area weren't so bad. Today's schools make mine look like a monastery. I turned out alright, but I learned enough to know that I don't want my kids to be subjected to that stuff.

cm :chicken:

Last edited:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Also - I don't understand the concept of homework - I mean, these kids are in school for 8 hours a day - isn't that enough time to get the work done? :doh:

It's like - what the heck are they doing all day if they still have 4 hours of homework? :idunno:
Apparently even public school teachers know that learning at home is the most effective!

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

All they "learn" in school, during the day, is how to "socialize." That is why they come home with at least four hours of homework.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
All they "learn" in school, during the day, is how to "socialize." That is why they come home with at least four hours of homework.

Exactly!

DXPose

BANNED
Banned

Yup - that's for sure! Or they are learning all about "tolerance & diversity" or how to save the rainforests, meanwhile the teachers figure that the kids should probably learn some math too at some point - but that's what homework is for! :dizzy:

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
I'm with you guys. That whole "social skills" argument is absolutely ludicrous. In public school, I learned:
-how to disrespect my teachers
-how to disrespect girls
-how to mock and degrade people that I thought I could beat up
-how to try to be cool
-how to talk dirty
-how to tell vile jokes
-how to cheat
-how to be someone I didn't really want to be
-how to smoke (didn't last too long, thankfully)
-how to be a drunk, at 16
-how to reject God and my upbringing, because those things weren't cool

And that was when the schools in my area weren't so bad. Today's schools make mine look like a monastery. I turned out alright, but I learned enough to know that I don't want my kids to be subjected to that stuff.

cm :chicken:

I'm with you ChickenMan! :up:

Everything Bad I Learned...I Learned in Public School

I will sum up my public school experience with the finer points:

1st Grade - Learned how to manipulate teachers through bad behavior and I had my first “crush.”
4th Grade – Became known as the class bully and I first started french kissing boys.
7th Grade – First began experimenting with drugs and oral sex. I lost my virginity later that year.
9th Grade – Learned about evolution, but not Creation. Took a "safe-sex" class where I learned about sexually transmitted diseases and how to put a condom on. By the end of the school year I was pregnant.
10th-12th – I was experimenting with my “bi-sexual” side. I pierced several parts of my body and got some tattoos. I was still using drugs and sleeping around.

I graduated with good grades because I cheated much of the way, but I hardly knew anything about history or geography, I couldn’t read or spell very well, and I probably couldn’t even tell you what an adverb was. I continued my promiscuous lifestyle and lived with many men before I met my husband (who I also lived with before we got married). My overall worldview had drastically been formed into a humanistic way of thinking. At that time I believed more in aliens and The X Files than I did in God. In fact, “God” was a laughable concept to me.

But by the saving grace of God, and by having a husband who is able to lead our family in Truth, I no longer live in darkness. Ever since I committed my life to Jesus Christ, He as opened my eyes to see the BIG picture of things. But, I could have easily ventured down the wrong path, indefinitely!

I was the EXCEPTION to the rule!

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm with you ChickenMan! :up:

Everything Bad I Learned...I Learned in Public School

I will sum up my public school experience with the finer points:

1st Grade - Learned how to manipulate teachers through bad behavior and I had my first “crush.”
4th Grade – Became known as the class bully and I first started french kissing boys.
7th Grade – First began experimenting with drugs and oral sex. I lost my virginity later that year.
9th Grade – Learned about evolution, but not Creation. Took a "safe-sex" class where I learned about sexually transmitted diseases and how to put a condom on. By the end of the school year I was pregnant.
10th-12th – I was experimenting with my “bi-sexual” side. I pierced several parts of my body and got some tattoos. I was still using drugs and sleeping around.

I graduated with good grades because I cheated much of the way, but I hardly knew anything about history or geography, I couldn’t read or spell very well, and I probably couldn’t even tell you what an adverb was. I continued my promiscuous lifestyle and lived with many men before I met my husband (who I also lived with before we got married). My overall worldview had drastically been formed into a humanistic way of thinking. At that time I believed more in aliens and The X Files than I did in God. In fact, “God” was a laughable concept to me.

But by the saving grace of God, and by having a husband who is able to lead our family in Truth, I no longer live in darkness. Ever since I committed my life to Jesus Christ, He as opened my eyes to see the BIG picture of things. But, I could have easily ventured down the wrong path, indefinitely!

I was the EXCEPTION to the rule!

POTD :first:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I graduated high school a virgin. And that's only because I actually understood why waiting was the right thing to do. And I only knew that because I was raised in church. If I hadn't been, I don't know how many kids I'd have by now. There are exceptions to the rule in many places. But even then, many of them weren't an exception to it while they were there.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I graduated high school a virgin. And that's only because I actually understood why waiting was the right thing to do. And I only knew that because I was raised in church. If I hadn't been, I don't know how many kids I'd have by now. There are exceptions to the rule in many places. But even then, many of them weren't an exception to it while they were there.

That's true. Thankfully, I grew up in rural areas. From what I've seen the public schools weren't as bad as in cities. I, too, graduated high school a virgin. Although I was in the minority, I've noticed that urban schools have more kids that don't save themselves for marriage than rural schools. I know that that's because of numbers more than anything else. But, even when I graduated (in 1987), I kept hearing stories about girls leaving school because they were having babies, kids being advanced and graduated without knowing how to read or do simple math, and lots of drug use and violence. Right around the time I started high school the schools started barring youth pastors from going on the campus to lead a student Bible study or prayer meeting. By the time I graduated, the schools that I had attended, in California, were starting to say that students weren't allowed to have Bible studies or prayer meetings on campus at all. I was a Navy brat and went to over 30 schools from kindergarten to twelfth grade; sixteen of those schools were in high school. I was lucky to have graduated at all with the way my credits were screwed up. Neither of my two sisters (my mom's daughters) graduated. Having no one who cared how I did in school (after my grandmother passed away) made it hard for me to care too. I do know that public school helped to form my early adult belief to live life for what it can give you. I'm glad that I realized what the public schools were doing before my daughter spent more than six months in one.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Having no one who cared how I did in school (...) made it hard for me to care too.
That is probably one of the biggest problems I can recall from my own experience.

Neither of my two brothers graduated, just like your sisters. And we didn't even go to a lot of different schools. One high school for all three of us, albeit not the same high school.

nicholsmom

Poor kids. My heart just goes out to these over-worked, under-educated, over-scheduled, harassed kids.

We need to add to the list: poor nutrition by way of the school cafeterias & constant availability of sodas & high-sugar, high-fat snacks. How are they ever going to learn?