Pagans IV: Because This is a Weird Place

Caledvwlch

Thought process
Paradigm breaking
Outside the box
Value add
Bring to the table

These can all die in a Dumpster fire.

Okay, why is scoring six points in the NFL called a touchdown, but when a ball carrier trips in the open field, he needs to be "touched" in order to be "down"?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Okay, why is scoring six points in the NFL called a touchdown, but when a ball carrier trips in the open field, he needs to be "touched" in order to be "down"?

Why do we even bother saying "jump through hoops" anymore? Has anyone ever had to actually jump through hoops? Since, like, the Enlightenment? Where are these hoops stored? Who owns them? What constitutes a hoop-jumping situation? Who decides? Is there a designated Hoop Jumping Synod somewhere? Council of Hoop?

Caledvwlch

Why do we even bother saying "jump through hoops" anymore? Has anyone ever had to actually jump through hoops? Since, like, the Enlightenment? Where are these hoops stored? Who owns them? What constitutes a hoop-jumping situation? Who decides? Is there a designated Hoop Jumping Synod somewhere? Council of Hoop?

Here's one that I only recently began to loathe.

It's not one that I ever said much, but I labored under the delusion that the expression was "you've got another thing coming." You know, like Judas Priest. But to my abject horror, I discovered that the expression is actually "you've got another think coming."

:nono:

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, and I will never say either version again, as long as I live.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Seven years ago I did a fair amount of posting. I wasn't great, or even good. But I had some fun. Now I understand hardly any of what I read here. Is it just me, or is the wingnut contingent much larger?

Welcome back. :cheers:

musterion

Okay I have an idea. Let's play "Words That Shouldn't Exist."

Wicca: A pre-fab, marketed, formerly hype-driven (the novelty has largely worn off) distraction for insecure posers who aren't the keenest on hygiene. Also a synonym for sucker.

Neopagan: see wicca.

rainee

... I labored under the delusion that the expression was "you've got another thing coming." You know, like Judas Priest. But to my abject horror, I discovered that the expression is actually "you've got another think coming."

Ooohh that really depresses me.
This is like when I found out "got it down packed" was really "got it down pat."
sigh.

Caledvwlch

ummmm ... it's worse than that. Your info says 2003. That's 11 years if my math isn't suspect as well.

Joined in '03. I was most active in '05. I was working in a cell phone store, not selling cell phones, and swearing to the moon and stars that I would never personally require a rate plan that included text messages or data.

Caledvwlch

Ooohh that really depresses me.
This is like when I found out "got it down packed" was really "got it down pat."
sigh.

See, I never had that one mixed up in my head to begin with, so that one doesn't sound as weird and unnatural to me. Neither one makes any literal sense, but hey, that's idiomatic expression for you.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Joined in '03. I was most active in '05. I was working in a cell phone store, not selling cell phones, and swearing to the moon and stars that I would never personally require a rate plan that included text messages or data.

You could take away the calling function of my phone and I'd barely notice. :chuckle:

Taking away data would probably be beneficial.

Leave my texting alone though! :sibbie:

Caledvwlch

You could take away the calling function of my phone and I'd barely notice. :chuckle:

Taking away data would probably be beneficial.

Leave my texting alone though! :sibbie:

When I'm finally done this current 2-stretch, I'm going to get a phone with a physical keyboard again and no Facebook. I might even go prepaid. Just like a drug dealer.

Caledvwlch

My focus is practically non-existent today. I can't even bring myself to troll aCW.

Nine days until closing on new house. Which happens to also be last day of current lease. :shocked:

PureX

Seven years ago I did a fair amount of posting. I wasn't great, or even good. But I had some fun. Now I understand hardly any of what I read here. Is it just me, or is the wingnut contingent much larger?
I don't think it's a larger group, but I do think they have gotten more outspoken, and are more wildly irrational than they were in the past.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Nope ... the *Society of Bend Over Backwards*.