Oldest Galaxies

zoo22

BBC News Last Updated: Wednesday, 11 July 2007, 17:10 GMT 18:10 UK

Astronomers claim galaxy record
By Jonathan Amos
Science reporter, BBC News

The detections were made at the Keck Observatory
Astronomers say they may have detected the light from some of the earliest stars to form in the Universe.

They have pictures of what appear to be very faint galaxies that shone more than 13 billion years ago, a mere 500 million years after the Big Bang.

The remarkable claim dramatically exceeds the current, broadly accepted record for the most distant detection.

Getting to this mark was a process of steady, incremental steps through redshifts in the lower-sixes and fives. The Caltech-led group has now suddenly jumped into the redshift region of eight to 10.

A refurbished Hubble Space Telescope is expected to be able to reach up to redshift 10; and its successor, the James Webb Space Telescope, due for launch early in the next decade, should be capable of redshift 15 observations.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6292024.stm

-----------------

When the Webb telescope becomes operational it will either verify or falsify this latest observation, and even extend observations further closer to the alleged Big Bang and the birth of the earliest stars and galaxies, but it is already apparent that changes will have to be made to the Big Bang hypothesis to fit the latest observations.

It surely will be amazing when we understand light, time and space better, won't it? I think light is fascinating. We have so much yet to learn. These discoveries are fantastic. "Pictures of what appear to be very faint galaxies that shone more than 13 billion years ago..." !!

DoogieTalons

BANNED
Banned
The Univers has to be at least 169,000 Years old regardless of any expansion theory.

I believe it to be billions of years old but did you know mankind has OBSERVED a 169,000 year old universe ?

In 1987 Super Nova SN 1987A was observed.

Eight months later .66 light years away distant gas clouds reflected the supernova's ionized rings at the exact distance they should have been with todays speed of light and todays simple trigonometry calculations.

These reflections were observed as science would predict using todays calulations on space light and time.

Time and space was not acting any differently 169,000 years ago than it is today.

Expansion of the universe is fine bob but it must have happend 169,000 years ago... but the star exploded :) so it must have been formed "lived" and exploded after God stretched it all out.

Scripture on creation is wrong Bob it's hard to let go but it's simple been proven wrong.

macguy

When a theory fails to explain some observations, but explains other, it is often best to try to figure out what is wrong with the theory and fix it rather than throwing it out and starting over. I leave this to scientists.

Well, this explains the tendency for scientists to hold theories that have problems and simply try to remedy the problem. The horizon problem cannot be fixed unless the speed of light wasn't constant or you use some cosmology such as white whole cosmology. Whether you wish to acknowledge it, the problem is real and the predictions are against it. Merely accommodating the observations is something that these scientists have warned against. In fact, the statement that they put out argues all against what you're saying. It doesn't matter whether it can explain observations. It seems you miss the point by equating explanations of facts as factual in itself. On the other hand, we know that facts don't speak for themselves and must be interpreted.

The problem with simply accomodating data is this:

What is more, the big bang theory can boast of no quantitative predictions that have subsequently been validated by observation. The successes claimed by the theory's supporters consist of its ability to retrospectively fit observations with a steadily increasing array of adjustable parameters, just as the old Earth-centered cosmology of Ptolemy needed layer upon layer of epicycles.

A criteria for judging the scientifically validity of theories is specificity. It must make predictions of what will and won't occur and the more specific these predictions are, then the better. This will make it useful and testable. Theories that make general predictions that can accommodate just about any result not only are less useful but are also protected from being falsified.

Yet the big bang is not the only framework available for understanding the history of the universe.

The other thing you must acknowledge is that there are other perfectly scientific theories that explain the same data. Don't you realize the history of science? It has been this way all along. Newton got partial truth but also failed to explain other anomalies and then came Einstein's theory of relativity to replace it. Newton wasn't entirely incorrect but neither was he entirely correct and the same is for Einstein. The big bang theory may be correct in some ways but it obviously doesn't explain all the other anomalies. We're not invoking miracles here to argue against the BBT...well at least I am not. The point is, no one is saying that we should completely throw out all the ideas from the BBT in the same way that no one is saying we should entirely abandon newton's ideas.

Supporters of the big bang theory may retort that these theories do not explain every cosmological observation. But that is scarcely surprising, as their development has been severely hampered by a complete lack of funding. Indeed, such questions and alternatives cannot even now be freely discussed and examined. An open exchange of ideas is lacking in most mainstream conferences. Whereas Richard Feynman could say that "science is the culture of doubt", in cosmology today doubt and dissent are not tolerated, and young scientists learn to remain silent if they have something negative to say about the standard big bang model. Those who doubt the big bang fear that saying so will cost them their funding.

Wow....Doesn't this sound familiar now? Creationists have experienced the same thing! However, we're just excused as religious but that's up for another discussion. But these people aren't religious! They're not even proposing creation theories but no funding is given. Science is playing a monopoly here.

The only thing that could allow a universe as young as 6-7 thousand years is magic.

I am not a young earth creationist by the way as you define it. Magic? Not for me.

True enough, I did. However, in the context of this thread, I was expecting something supporting creationism, not something supporting other naturalistic explanations of the universe.

Bob has stated his purpose throughout this thread. He is trying to convince the reader that it is reasonable to believe that the universe is very, very young.

Though I don't think that I agree with his cosmology, I still don't understand how providing a link makes the implication that he's "using them to justify creationism". He never stated that, "here's this link, and it's proof of creationism" as I am sure he was very aware that the website doesn't talk about creation cosmology. In my mind, it would've made more sense to point to a creationist website to do that. The purpose of the link was simply to answer you question...

Most likely. I am very skeptical of it, but I reserve final judgement.

Why aren't you skeptical of the BBT either? It seems you're committing a double standard here. Merely because many scientists accept the Big Bang theory has no bearing on it's truth. Skepticism is healthy even on a strongly held belief among the scientific community. Einstein for example, challenged the belief that length, mass and time were constant but he convincely demonstrated otherwise (relative). Challenging popular scientific stances is what brings forward new theories or should I say paradigms (eventually) in the words of Thomas Kuhn.

Somehow, I doubt you even verified the claims of BBT to make sure it's true. An assumption but that's the impression I get from you. Anyone who denies a widely held theory in science deserves skepticism. Nothing wrong with that except for the double standard.

Peer review is a very important process, but it is also important who they include in their peers. If the people who are doing the review are all pseudo-scientists, the results can't be trusted. Furthermore, nothing currently being discussed from that site is from their journal, so that isn't very relevant.

Can you point to any pseudo-science in their conclusions? I am surprised at how hostile you are to them...even though they're not even creationists. In the words of Barry Setterfield, I conclude that:

It is never good science to ignore anomalous data or to eliminate a conclusion because of some presupposition. Sir Henry Dale, one-time President of the Royal Society of London, made an important comment in his retirement speech: "Science should not tolerate any lapse of precision, or neglect any anomaly, but give Nature's answers to the world humbly and with courage." To do so may not place one in the mainstream of modern science, but at least we will be searching for truth and moving ahead rather than maintaining the scientific status quo.--Barry Setterfield, March 7, 2002

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Univers has to be at least 169,000 Years old regardless of any expansion theory. I believe it to be billions of years old but did you know mankind has OBSERVED a 169,000 year old universe ? In 1987 Super Nova SN 1987A was observed. Eight months later .66 light years away distant gas clouds reflected the supernova's ionized rings at the exact distance they should have been with todays speed of light and todays simple trigonometry calculations. These reflections were observed as science would predict using todays calulations on space light and time. Time and space was not acting any differently 169,000 years ago than it is today. Expansion of the universe is fine bob but it must have happend 169,000 years ago... but the star exploded :) so it must have been formed "lived" and exploded after God stretched it all out. Scripture on creation is wrong Bob it's hard to let go but it's simple been proven wrong.
These kinds of calculations are probably the best and clearest evidence science has against the idea of a 6,000 year old universe.

DoogieTalons

BANNED
Banned
Yeah, correct me if I am wrong, but this is an argument against YEC right? I think it's a powerful objection too.
You are correct, it's not just the witnessing of the Supernova though, expansion could explain that if the laws as we know them were not being adhered to... it's the exactly timed observation of the reflections of the explosions that allowed a triangualtion which shows that space time was indeed acting as we currently know it. Otherwise we would have viewed the reflections .66 lightyears away... well IF the universe was still expanding we'd have witnesed the reflections at the same time.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Most people,including Doogie, do not realize that astronomers must correct the parameters of a distant galaxy to take into account the fact that the light rays being received today in their telescopes has been expanded since the time that the light was emitted. This correction of necessity must assume that the rate of expansion is known.

The current Big Bang theory assumes that after the initial very rapid expansion to the size of an orange, the rate slowed drastically and is still continuing at that extremely slow rate (compared to the initial expansion rate).

However, if this extremely high rate had continued for only 1 more interval of 10-33 seconds the orange sized universe would have expanded to the size of the current universe and then stopped.

Thus the correction factor previously mentioned would be very large not very small as presently assumed.

As Setterfield has explained, the net effect would be that we are observing what happened in the past in slow motion.

All parameters, including the speed of light and the length of a phenomenon would appear to be what is measured today, because of the stretching of the light waves during their traansit to end up in our telescopes to what their values are today.

Thus, if the rate of expansion of the universe happened quickly, say in a single revolution of the Earth, Super Nova SN 1987A would appear today in our telescopes as though it happened far more slowly than it actually did using the Earth's revolution as our measure of time.

This effect of time was of course predicted by Einstein, i.e. time is relative to the observer.

To give you some idea of the difference in expansion rate assumed in the Big Bang and the rate during the intial inflationary period we simply note that the Big Bang assumes that the universe expanded to its present size by a factor of 1026 in 13.7 billion years, whereas if the initial inflationary rate had continued for only 1 more interval of 10-33 seconds the universe would also have reached its current size.

The difference between 13.7 billion years and 10-33 seconds is very large. For all intents and purposes the Big Bang assumes that the expansion came to an abrupt stop once the universe had reached the size of an orange.

My hypothesis also assumes that the expansion came to an abrupt stop, but not until the universe had reached its present size.

DoogieTalons

BANNED
Banned
Yes it would appear to be what is measured today... then. But not now !! relativity is quite clear that when you approach or pass the speed of light somethings got to give and it's usually time. But we observe it at todays speeds now.

Other wise it would be just easy to say the universe is in a constant state of flux it just looks normal but it's continually speeding up and slowing down. We have no proof of this but what we see with our eyes and measure with our instruments.

The thing about supernova 1987 bob is we witnessed it's reflections acting exactly as they should now, today, we witnessed the reflections exactly where they should be for the time we saw them triangulated and verified. SO if the whole things just a slow mo version of what happened then the reflections would still have been seen a lot quicker as it would have happened when it was moving faster the light from the reflections would have got to earth the in same time but at a different earth time the light would have got away from the nova quicker. Hence we would triangulate the distance completly differently. We'd see the reflections almost as soon as we see the explosion, not 8 months later.

Come on bob did god spread out the skies and create universal law as of physics only to blow a sun up along the way without it even living for a second ?

we know what causes of supernova bob theres no way we can witness one and see the universe as 600 years old.

also theres a pretty big If in your post bob... for me to justify anything I only have to add an If. So long as I was sure of where I was coming from... like you are so sure if it's not in scripture it can't be true.

chair

Most people,including Doogie, do not realize that astronomers must correct the parameters of a distant galaxy to take into account the fact that the light rays being received today in their telescopes has been expanded since the time that the light was emitted. This correction of necessity must assume that the rate of expansion is known.

Could you explain what you mean hear a bit more. I don't follow. What parameter are you talking about exactly? And what do you mean by light rays "expanding?". Are you talking about redshift, or something else?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We'd see the reflections almost as soon as we see the explosion, not 8 months later.

No, the light waves are stretched out due to the expansion of the coordinates of space, thus we see what happened in slow motion. This does not mean that from the standpoint of the event itself it happened in slow motion, only from the standpoint of the telescope observer on the Earth.

This is what Einstein was talking about. Time passes at different rates depending on the observer.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
These kinds of calculations are probably the best and clearest evidence science has against the idea of a 6,000 year old universe.

The current Big Bang theory assumes that after the initial very rapid expansion to the size of an orange, the rate slowed drastically and is still continuing at that extremely slow rate (compared to the initial expansion rate).

However, if this extremely high rate had continued for only 1 more interval of 10-33 seconds the orange sized universe would have expanded to the size of the current universe and then stopped.

Thus the correction factor previously mentioned would be very large not very small as presently assumed.

As Setterfield has explained, the net effect would be that we are observing what happened in the past in slow motion.

All parameters, including the speed of light and the length of a phenomenon would appear to be what is measured today, because of the stretching of the light waves during their traansit to end up in our telescopes to what their values are today.

Thus, if the rate of expansion of the universe happened quickly, say in a single revolution of the Earth, Super Nova SN 1987A would appear today in our telescopes as though it happened far more slowly than it actually did using the Earth's revolution as our measure of time.

This effect of time was of course predicted by Einstein, i.e. time is relative to the observer.

To give you some idea of the difference in expansion rate assumed in the Big Bang and the rate during the intial inflationary period we simply note that the Big Bang assumes that the universe expanded to its present size by a factor of 1026 in 13.7 billion years, whereas if the initial inflationary rate had continued for only 1 more interval of 10-33 seconds the universe would also have reached its current size.

The difference between 13.7 billion years and 10-33 seconds is very large. For all intents and purposes the Big Bang assumes that the expansion came to an abrupt stop once the universe had reached the size of an orange.

My hypothesis also assumes that the expansion came to an abrupt stop, but not until the universe had reached its present size.
Pretty sad for the opposition, really...

Johnny

bob b said:

Stop invoking Einstein here, that's not at all Einstein's relativity.

And I've got a small project here for you, Bob.

Explain to me why there isn't a flux (photons per unit time) shift boundary. For the life of me I can't work it out. Take a star 7 or 8 thousand light years away. Given that a finite number of photons were transversing the space between the star and the Earth during expansion, and given that expansion occurred volumetrically, then the photons would be "diluted" in the space between the Earth and the star. These "diluted" (i.e. weaker flux) photons would be hitting the earth until light emitted post-expansion started reaching the earth. When this new light reaches the earth, there should be a massive increase in flux because expansion is no longer occurring and thus the dilution factor is lost. Where is this boundary?

At this point there should also be a redshift boundary. Assuming the Earth and the star were in close quarters during expansion (or close enough for the light to have reached earth), and then assuming a rapid expansion, then the light should be redshifted massively. Even assuming a nearby star, the redshift should be massive because assuming near instantaneous regression from close proximity to several thousand light years. As post-expansion light reached the Earth, the redshift should cease and perhaps reverse (if the star happens to be floating our way). Where is this boundary?

rexlunae

Well, this explains the tendency for scientists to hold theories that have problems and simply try to remedy the problem. The horizon problem cannot be fixed unless the speed of light wasn't constant or you use some cosmology such as white whole cosmology. Whether you wish to acknowledge it, the problem is real and the predictions are against it. Merely accommodating the observations is something that these scientists have warned against. In fact, the statement that they put out argues all against what you're saying. It doesn't matter whether it can explain observations. It seems you miss the point by equating explanations of facts as factual in itself. On the other hand, we know that facts don't speak for themselves and must be interpreted.

Look, I'm not some fanatical adherent to the BBT; I'm not knowledgeable enough in cosmology to be one. I don't know where you got that idea. I am willing to leave that question in the hands of real scientists. I do know that the BBT must be closer to the truth than Genesis literalism, at least in terms of the age of the universe, which is what I have been arguing from the beginning. Keep in mind the context from which the post of mine that you first started challenging came. I was arguing against Bob B's concept of a universe 6-7 thousand years old, not specifically for any one theory of the origin of the universe. You're the one who came in here with an ax to grind w/rt the BBT.

The problem with simply accomodating data is this:

What is more, the big bang theory can boast of no quantitative predictions that have subsequently been validated by observation. The successes claimed by the theory's supporters consist of its ability to retrospectively fit observations with a steadily increasing array of adjustable parameters, just as the old Earth-centered cosmology of Ptolemy needed layer upon layer of epicycles.

It's worth exploring alternatives to any theory. I'm not saying otherwise. But it's also worth trying to fix broken theories and see if they still work with a better understanding. I don't believe there's a consensus that the BBT has reach 'ad hoc' status yet.

You want ad hoc, look at the justifications for creationism. If you don't like ad hoc apologetics, why don't you turn some of your attention to Bob B's claims.

A criteria for judging the scientifically validity of theories is specificity. It must make predictions of what will and won't occur and the more specific these predictions are, then the better. This will make it useful and testable. Theories that make general predictions that can accommodate just about any result not only are less useful but are also protected from being falsified.

I don't disagree with you here at all.

The other thing you must acknowledge is that there are other perfectly scientific theories that explain the same data.

I've never denied that. I've only denied that creationism is one of them.

We're not invoking miracles here to argue against the BBT...well at least I am not.

Understood. But keep in mind that my comments were addressed to Bob B, who was invoking miracles.

The point is, no one is saying that we should completely throw out all the ideas from the BBT in the same way that no one is saying we should entirely abandon newton's ideas.

Read Bob B's posts in this thread.

I am not a young earth creationist by the way as you define it. Magic? Not for me.

Excellent. Then we probably aren't actually too far apart on this.

Though I don't think that I agree with his cosmology, I still don't understand how providing a link makes the implication that he's "using them to justify creationism". He never stated that, "here's this link, and it's proof of creationism" as I am sure he was very aware that the website doesn't talk about creation cosmology. In my mind, it would've made more sense to point to a creationist website to do that. The purpose of the link was simply to answer you question...

Maybe that wasn't his intent, but that has been his theme throughout this thread. If I missed his point, well, that's too bad, but he also hasn't said that I did. Bob B has been trying to use any scrap of doubt or dispute to justify creationism all along, and so my assumption as to his intention doesn't seem too far out of line to me.

Why aren't you skeptical of the BBT either? It seems you're committing a double standard here.

Show me where I said that I wasn't.

Merely because many scientists accept the Big Bang theory has no bearing on it's truth. Skepticism is healthy even on a strongly held belief among the scientific community. Einstein for example, challenged the belief that length, mass and time were constant but he convincely demonstrated otherwise (relative). Challenging popular scientific stances is what brings forward new theories or should I say paradigms (eventually) in the words of Thomas Kuhn.

And that's fine, but if there is going to be a revolution of cosmology, it's still down the road. The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter to me much to make a firm decision about the origin of the universe. I'm content to wait until the problem is more completely solved, however, one fact that is beyond serious dispute is that the universe is a lot older than 6-7 thousand years.

Somehow, I doubt you even verified the claims of BBT to make sure it's true. An assumption but that's the impression I get from you. Anyone who denies a widely held theory in science deserves skepticism. Nothing wrong with that except for the double standard.

Like I said, I'll defer to scientific consensus on the matter. That's another way of saying I don't have my own opinion. As long as there is serious dispute, I will respect that. There is no serious scientific dispute between old and very very young models, which is what I was disputing in the first place.

Can you point to any pseudo-science in their conclusions? I am surprised at how hostile you are to them...even though they're not even creationists. In the words of Barry Setterfield, I conclude that:

It is never good science to ignore anomalous data or to eliminate a conclusion because of some presupposition. Sir Henry Dale, one-time President of the Royal Society of London, made an important comment in his retirement speech: "Science should not tolerate any lapse of precision, or neglect any anomaly, but give Nature's answers to the world humbly and with courage." To do so may not place one in the mainstream of modern science, but at least we will be searching for truth and moving ahead rather than maintaining the scientific status quo.--Barry Setterfield, March 7, 2002

This has nothing to do with data, it is about the credability of the group.

Like I said, it seems suspicious. I am making that determination based upon the fact that it shares several features of pseudo-science:

1. It seems to appeal to the public directly rather than scientific communities.
2. It seems to rail against the scientific establishment.
3. It seems to include (although not exlusively) people who do not at all claim to possess scientific credentials, or whose credentials are dubious or ambiguous.

That being said, it looks like the signatures to the original letter may have been from people with proper credentials, but why have they allowed such open signing? Some of the signers even submitted URLs pointing to spam pages full of ads and nothing else. They can't be filtering this too hard. It seems like they are trying to inflate their support, and for that reason it's hard for me to trust their motives.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Stop invoking Einstein here, that's not at all Einstein's relativity.

And I've got a small project here for you, Bob.

Explain to me why there isn't a flux (photons per unit time) shift boundary. For the life of me I can't work it out. Take a star 7 or 8 thousand light years away. Given that a finite number of photons were transversing the space between the star and the Earth during expansion, and given that expansion occurred volumetrically, then the photons would be "diluted" in the space between the Earth and the star. These "diluted" (i.e. weaker flux) photons would be hitting the earth until light emitted post-expansion started reaching the earth. When this new light reaches the earth, there should be a massive increase in flux because expansion is no longer occurring and thus the dilution factor is lost. Where is this boundary?

At this point there should also be a redshift boundary. Assuming the Earth and the star were in close quarters during expansion (or close enough for the light to have reached earth), and then assuming a rapid expansion, then the light should be redshifted massively. Even assuming a nearby star, the redshift should be massive because assuming near instantaneous regression from close proximity to several thousand light years. As post-expansion light reached the Earth, the redshift should cease and perhaps reverse (if the star happens to be floating our way). Where is this boundary?

For some reason you seem to think that any star further than 7000 light years away would experience a massive red shift. This is not true. The amount of red shift depends on the amount of expansion and the amount of expansion increases linearly with distance. Thus if Adam had a telescope or other instruments then he could have measured that the light from a close by star would have had close to zero red shift. The red shift depends only on the amount of expansion and the amount of expansion depends on the distance away from the observer. There would not be a perceptable "boundary" at all, only an imperceptable merging.

These general concepts are explained in elementary college astronomy classes, although apparently I may be the first to take these concepts to their logical conclusion as far as the young Earth hypothesis is concerned.

macguy

Look, I'm not some fanatical adherent to the BBT; I'm not knowledgeable enough in cosmology to be one. I don't know where you got that idea.

I don't know where you got the idea that I think that way. All I know is that you are a strong supporter of the BBT but never said anything about being fanatical. This is where your assumptions play into this argument.

Keep in mind the context from which the post of mine that you first started challenging came. I was arguing against Bob B's concept of a universe 6-7 thousand years old, not specifically for any one theory of the origin of the universe. You're the one who came in here with an ax to grind w/rt the BBT.

Yes I do apologize for barging in but your accusations against the link weren't answered. Well in parts of our discussion, you do make it seem that the BBT isn't really refuted but it has. The only thing that can be done is to accommodate such observations... Anyways, I think it's about time we wrap up this discussion as it's getting repetitive and we agree in some areas.

I've never denied that. I've only denied that creationism is one of them.

Well pardon me but I made this inference on your statement below.

When a theory fails to explain some observations, but explains other, it is often best to try to figure out what is wrong with the theory and fix it rather than throwing it out and starting over. I leave this to scientists.

Here I got the impression that if this theory can explain the other, it shouldn't be thrown out but I am not saying we should start all over.

Show me where I said that I wasn't.

Notice that I said it was an assumption but since you invoked the scientific establishment as many do, I thought that it was a cheap way to avoid expressing doubts about the BBT.

This has nothing to do with data, it is about the credability of the group.

The peer-review process is supposed to be a safe-guard against pseudoscience. Are you then claiming that the whole peer-review process of Cornell University Library is biased? You can't make such claims without looking at the presuppositions that they make with the data which is why I asked.

1. It seems to appeal to the public directly rather than scientific communities.

Publishing to peer review processes, sending letters to scientists and engaging into discussions is not scientific? They appeal to the public so that they can become aware of it but of course the average person cannot understand their papers. In order to realize the force of their argument, one has to be a rather educated layman (at least) to understand something. Where do they direct their attention, like AiG to the laymen? I fail to see how they do so.

2. It seems to rail against the scientific establishment.

That's a bad thing? I think it's very good for science.

That being said, it looks like the signatures to the original letter may have been from people with proper credentials, but why have they allowed such open signing?

Because of this:

The ACG is an open society of scientists from all over the world, dedicated to the advance in cosmology and basic research. Any scientist in agreement with the Open Letter (http://cosmologystatement.org) is invited to join.

Ads are everywhere...but my mac blocks all that so I didn't notice.

macguy

Bob b, I have a question if you don't mind in regards to Setterfield's cosmology. Well I guess it's more appropriately labeled an objection but hopefully it will bring more discussion. You may have answered this already, and if so then I apologize but I would appreciate if you could simply quote the answer.

If the speed of light did indeed decay, would there not be blueshifts which would result from such a change in constants? Well I gotta hurry but I'll ask more detailed questions if I have any. Thanks! :D

rexlunae

I don't know where you got the idea that I think that way. All I know is that you are a strong supporter of the BBT but never said anything about being fanatical. This is where your assumptions play into this argument.

And that, I believe, is the source of the confusion. I'm not a strong support of the BBT, or any similar phrasing you might want to use. I even have, at times, found some of the explanations used within the BBT, somewhat ad hoc. However, I'm content to let people who are qualified come up with that explanation, on the understanding that the people who have given it serious study know better than me.

I am, however, strongly opposed to Bob B's approach to science, which leads him to look for any crack or doubt in scientific theories that might jeopardize his narrow literalist religious beliefs. He exploits legitimate scientific uncertainty to undermine the entire process by which natural explanations for the universe are produced and tested and to promote supernaturalism. I find that despicable, and it is that which I am attempting to address.

I hope that clears that up a little. I agree with you that we should probably end this discussion soon.

Yes I do apologize for barging in but your accusations against the link weren't answered. Well in parts of our discussion, you do make it seem that the BBT isn't really refuted but it has. The only thing that can be done is to accommodate such observations... Anyways, I think it's about time we wrap up this discussion as it's getting repetitive and we agree in some areas.

The problem isn't that you're "barging in". I don't want to exclude anyone from responding to me, but I just ask that you consider the context of what I'm trying to say to avoid misunderstanding.

Here I got the impression that if this theory can explain the other, it shouldn't be thrown out but I am not saying we should start all over.

Science works well when lots of different people and groups follow different approaches on a give problem. Most of them may be thrown out, and in throwing them out, science advances, as much as if they're confirmed. I'm not against alternative to the BBT being examined serious, I just think it might be premature yet to throw out the BBT.

Notice that I said it was an assumption but since you invoked the scientific establishment as many do, I thought that it was a cheap way to avoid expressing doubts about the BBT.

I'm just not qualified to decide if the BBT is a good theory or not, so I have to defer that question. There are parts of the BBT that I feel are nearly undeniable, such as the magnitude of the age of the universe.

The peer-review process is supposed to be a safe-guard against pseudoscience. Are you then claiming that the whole peer-review process of Cornell University Library is biased? You can't make such claims without looking at the presuppositions that they make with the data which is why I asked.

I may have missed something on the web page. I didn't see a reference to Cornell University Library, just the comment that they intended to publish a peer-reviewed journal. I didn't look at their web site a whole lot, I mostly read the front page, and part of the open letter, and the list of signatories.

Publishing to peer review processes, sending letters to scientists and engaging into discussions is not scientific? They appeal to the public so that they can become aware of it but of course the average person cannot understand their papers. In order to realize the force of their argument, one has to be a rather educated layman (at least) to understand something. Where do they direct their attention, like AiG to the laymen? I fail to see how they do so.

And, my first impression of that page may be wrong, as I said before. That's why I reserved final judgment; I couldn't really be sure. I'm still not sure. I'm just skeptical by default about random internet sources. It's common for pseudo-science to skip the formal process and go straight to the public. I think the open letter, with it's open signing hurts their credability since it seem like the don't screen the people who sign much.

That's a bad thing? I think it's very good for science.

It can be. However, appealing to the public rather than going to other scientists is usually not.

Ads are everywhere...but my mac blocks all that so I didn't notice.

That seems to be missing the point. If a spammer can get listed as a signatory, anyone can.

Signatories to the letter are given the option of specifying a URL for their own web site. The first one I clicked on was not just a page with ads, it was a page devoted to ads. It was spam. This makes it seem like they got a few real scientists to agree with the letter, and then they just put it up and let anyone sign it no matter how unqualified they were. It seems...dubious.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bob b, I have a question if you don't mind in regards to Setterfield's cosmology. Well I guess it's more appropriately labeled an objection but hopefully it will bring more discussion. You may have answered this already, and if so then I apologize but I would appreciate if you could simply quote the answer.

If the speed of light did indeed decay, would there not be blueshifts which would result from such a change in constants? Well I gotta hurry but I'll ask more detailed questions if I have any. Thanks! :D

Setterfield claims that the speed of light has decayed in the last 6000-7000 years.

My concept is different: I claim that the expansion of the universe occurred extremely rapidly (within one revolution of the Earth).

These are completely different concepts.

But the two different concepts do share one phenomenon in common: what we receive in our telescopes today is a slow motion version of what happened in the past among the stars and galaxies.

macguy

However, I'm content to let people who are qualified come up with that explanation, on the understanding that the people who have given it serious study know better than me.

Well then, I understand and will take your word for it that you've actually been critical of the BBT to the best of your knowledge.

I find that despicable, and it is that which I am attempting to address.

Hmm despicable is a strong word for me but I guess that expresses your thoughts the best. Science in my opinion, isn't an entity but is simply a method of investigation that simply cannot investigate the supernatural in any way. It's not an entity that is apart from the person who is investigating but is simply a method for which investigations are done. Would you agree?

I'm not against alternative to the BBT being examined serious, I just think it might be premature yet to throw out the BBT.

I don't think the BBT should be thrown out. Like Newton's classical mechanics, it was refuted but not entirely false. In the same way, BBT shouldn't be thrown out entirely but simply allow for another cosmology which explains it better.

I may have missed something on the web page. I didn't see a reference to Cornell University Library, just the comment that they intended to publish a peer-reviewed journal. I didn't look at their web site a whole lot, I mostly read the front page, and part of the open letter, and the list of signatories.

Oh okay, I appreciate your honesty :). Most of the ones I have taken a look at post at Cornell University Library but I did see some other journals such as "European Organization for Astronomical Research". Multiple jounarls with these peer-reviewers should really be pseudo-reviewers if they accepted their work which is unlikely though. Therefore these challenges from scientists are very real... It's not brought to the public either but to the journals.

arXiv is an e-print service in the fields of physics, mathematics, non-linear science, computer science, quantitative biology and statistics. The contents of arXiv conform to Cornell University academic standards. arXiv is owned, operated and funded by Cornell University, a private not-for-profit educational institution. arXiv is also partially funded by the National Science Foundation.

That seems to be missing the point. If a spammer can get listed as a signatory, anyone can.

The majority of links that I clicked, really worked and presented the person's page. You got it all wrong though! Have you ever bought a domain before? This link used to be my URL before I decided to quit using it. Now it has some totally different material that I never had on there a year ago. Domains last, on usual for around 1 year which is what most personal people usually buy unless they have their own business or whatnot. I have been on the web long enough (6 1/2 years I think) to know what happens to a domain that expires. Since a website such as go-daddy purchased the domain, and I am no longer paying for it, they are free to do what they wish with it. Many have added a bunch of spam...

A perfect example of this is Eugene Sittampalam's page. All you see in that link is a bunch of hotels but I found in google that he got another page which is shorter and more convenient.

Before: http://www.eugenesittampalam.com/

After: http://www.sittampalam.net/

He simply got another domain and for others, the case may be that they just stopped paying for it. Take note that this open later was formed in 2004 and some of these people probably just forgot to request for an updated link. I am a computer addict so I know how these things work rather well.

Johnny

bob b said:
For some reason you seem to think that any star further than 7000 light years away would experience a massive red shift. This is not true. The amount of red shift depends on the amount of expansion and the amount of expansion increases linearly with distance. Thus if Adam had a telescope or other instruments then he could have measured that the light from a close by star would have had close to zero red shift. The red shift depends only on the amount of expansion and the amount of expansion depends on the distance away from the observer. There would not be a perceptable "boundary" at all, only an imperceptable merging.
There would be a radical boundary.

So let's take a star that is now about 7,000 light years away for example.

(a) How close in proximity to the earth was the star before expansion?
(b) How long did expansion occur?
(c) What's the flux of the star?
(d) To what distance did the star regress?

From these you can calculate the redshift. Shall we take an example? I need you to answer questions (a) and (b), and I'll take care of the calculations.