Nontrinitarian "Christians" are a paradox

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
So you believe that there are 2 verses that point directly to the trinity?

Well there's at least all these following verses that point against it! And if you want me to, I'll go and find more?

It is not mine to grant but is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.(Matthew 20:20-23 KJV)

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?(Matthew 26:39 & 27:46 KJV)

Father, if you wish, remove this cup from me, not by my will, but thy will.(Luke 22:42 KJV)

Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.(Luke 23:46 KJV)

Father, the hour is come; glorify your Son - as you have given him power over all flesh

John continues:

Life eternal is this to know thee the only true God and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.(John 17:1-3 KJV)

Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. (John 5:19 KJV)

I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me bears witness of me. (John 8:18 KJV).

Touch me not, for I am not yet ascended to my Father…I ascend unto my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.”(John 20:17 KJV)

I go unto the Father, for my Father is greater than I.”(John 14:28 KJV)

I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.(John 5-30)

I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me. (John 5)

Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is God(Mark 10:17-18 KJV)

And that is none other God but one. For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, but to us there is but one God, the Father of whom are all things and we in him, and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things and we by him. (1 Corinthians 8:4-6 KJV)

But I would have you know that the head of every man in Christ and the head of the woman is the man and the head of Christ is God. (1 Corinthians 11:3).

For there is one God and one mediator between God and man,the man Christ Jesus.(1 Timothy 2:5 KJV)

Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort. (2Corinthians 1:3 KJV)

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 1:3 KJV)

Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.(Hebrews 10)

These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: As thou hast given him power over all flesh,that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent..I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

Ephesians 1

That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him

Revelation 1

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him

Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.(Hebrews 1:9)

Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown. Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God and I will write upon him my new name..He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

God swore by "Himself" or (Logos) as early as Gn. 22:16

Nothing new in what you have posted. It's the same God (Logos) that God swears by and don't ya know that Father and Son are ONE?

marhig

God swore by "Himself" or (Logos) as early as Gn. 22:16

Nothing new in what you have posted. It's the same God (Logos) that God swears by and don't ya know that Father and Son are ONE?
Jesus isn't God EE, and we are at one with them when we are born of God.

John 17

That they all may be one; as thou, Father,*art*in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:*I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Right I'm off to make dinner.

popsthebuilder

Hello friend,

Absolutely. I would love most to reply to your questions. First off, I find your response to be the most scholastic and academic. Therefore, no offense to others, I respect it more. You have provided sufficient factors for your charges.

The Trinity is superior due to the hypostatic nature of Christ, and the eternally "oneness" of God/Christ. If Christ exists as a deity alone, then there is no true "human" sacrifice. Without this sacrifice, the standards and fulfillment of the Old Covenant could not be met or completed. The Covenant would forever lack the human element in its sacrifice. Therefore, a "New Covenant" would be insufficient because humanity would have to obey and fulfill two covenants, rather than one. This would only increase the burden that humanity would have to bear.

If Christ exists as a human alone, He would be a blasphemer. His several quotes of "I Am," would be truthfully labeled as blasphemy. The Jews would have been perfectly lawful and right to have slain Him. Add on to this, Christ saying "I and the Father are one." This would solidify the Jewish charges of blasphemy.

If Christ was two separate deities, being part man and part God, the first point of the Old Covenant being unfulfilled, would once again be true.

The only way to satisfy the Old Covenant, creating a New Covenant, and to be fully and wholly truthful, Christ would have to be fully God and fully man. Consubstantial with God the Father. This would render Christ as perfect and sinless. He would satisfy the requirements of the Old Covenant, have the authority to create a New Covenant, and be without blemish in any capacity.

From this, one can conclude that a denying of this Triune God is a denial of His attribute. A denial of any part of Him would be considered a sin, since one would be denying a whole aspect of God. God is always and eternal. All attributes have to exist together and at all times. A denial of one aspect or attribute is placing limitations on reality. In doing this, one would naturally deny other aspects and attributes, eventually leading to a god of one's own mind and limitations, restricted to one's ideal reality.

I hope this answers your question. Feel free to challenge me with any rebuttal or mitigating/aggravating claims.
Perhaps you can answer why GOD would manifest itself in human form to be a blood sacrifice for itself so that man can go along in sin.

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

jsanford108

Perhaps you can answer why GOD would manifest itself in human form to be a blood sacrifice for itself so that man can go along in sin.

God would not manifest Himself into human form so that man could sin. That is a perversion of my argument. And the easiest response to that is: "He came not into the world to condemn the world; but so that the world through Him might be saved."

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
God would not manifest Himself into human form so that man could sin. That is a perversion of my argument. And the easiest response to that is: "He came not into the world to condemn the world; but so that the world through Him might be saved."

In fact... the attack that you just received is addressed in Galatians. I wonder if Paul was ever attacked with that argument?

He most assuredly had a ready answer...

Gal. 2:17

Imagine that? You're getting attacked with the same words that Paul got attacked with. : )

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Jesus isn't God EE, and we are at one with them when we are born of God.

John 17

That they all may be one; as thou, Father,*art*in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:*I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Right I'm off to make dinner.

He said the Father was in Him as He was in the Father. His Head is the Father. Ours is supposed to be Jesus, because if we say our Head is the Father... we are saying we have "The Face of God".

Allow me to be blunt... Jesus is God. Jesus is the Highest name that all knees will bow to. Will God bow to Jesus? And salvation is by Jesus (God) alone! You are teaching people to Deny Jesus and thus their salvation. You are damning people with your teachings.

# That's the truth about the TRUTH!

daqq

He said the Father was in Him as He was in the Father. His Head is the Father. Ours is supposed to be Jesus, because if we say our Head is the Father... we are saying we have "The Face of God".

Allow me to be blunt... Jesus is God. Jesus is the Highest name that all knees will bow to. Will God bow to Jesus? And salvation is by Jesus (God) alone! You are teaching people to Deny Jesus and thus their salvation. You are damning people with your teachings.

Another outright lie because it was just shown to you in your own thread and you know you are misquoting the scripture. We bow TO the Father IN Messiah or IN Messiah TO the glory of the Father and that is exactly what the passage says that you have intentionally misrepresented and misquoted, old serpent, why do you wish to damn people?

Philippians 2:10-11 W/H
10 ινα εν τω ονοματι ιησου παν γονυ καμψη επουρανιων και επιγειων και καταχθονιων
11 και πασα γλωσσα εξομολογησηται οτι κυριος ιησους χριστος εις δοξαν θεου πατρος

εν = in
εις = to

Philippians 2:10-11 ASV
10 that in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven and things on earth and things under the earth,
11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Your lie is clearly intentional because this was just shown to you . . .
Liar, liar, panties on fire!
:rotfl:

popsthebuilder

That's fair. Let me reword it please; then perhaps you can attempt to answer.

Why would GOD manifest GOD in utter fullness yet in flesh in order to be a blood sacrifice for GOD? How does this occurrence pay for the sin of man?

How is it that the Christ of GOD is the utter fullness of GOD as man when he is said to b the way to GOD and the spotless lamb of GOD?

To be clear; I donot deny that the Christ and GOD are now one and the same omnipotent, omniscient, benevolent, Creator GOD.

peace

jsanford108

That's fair. Let me reword it please; then perhaps you can attempt to answer.

Why would GOD manifest GOD in utter fullness yet in flesh in order to be a blood sacrifice for GOD? How does this occurrence pay for the sin of man?

How is it that the Christ of GOD is the utter fullness of GOD as man when he is said to b the way to GOD and the spotless lamb of GOD?

To be clear; I donot deny that the Christ and GOD are now one and the same omnipotent, omniscient, benevolent, Creator GOD.

peace

Okay. Makes sense now. Thank you for the clarification.

The answer with your questions is simple, He is God. Limitless and unrestricted. I know this seems to be a circular method of reasoning, but allow me to explain further.

Why would God....: Because God, being all knowing, knows that man could never perfect himself. He knows that man, left to his own device, will surely damn himself. One has to look no further than the beginnings of the Old Testament to see evidence of this. Even Lot's wife looked back because she longed more for the world than for God. So why would God manifest Himself in a fully human state? To fulfill what no other could.

How is that Christ....: As stated before, one is left with only three options. Either Christ is a deity, Christ is a human, or Christ is fully God/Man. If Christ is a deity, He could not fulfill the Old Covenant. Thereby, when He says that that is what He is doing, then He is a liar. If Christ is a human, He is a blasphemer, for claiming that He "and the Father are One." As well as all of His "I Am" declarations. If Christ is part deity/man, then He is a demigod and both the above are once again true. The only logical option left is that Christ is fully God/Man.

With this third option, how can this be? First, if Christ is fully God, He would be eternal and have all the attributes of God. Second, by being God, His claims of being One and "I Am" are not not blasphemous, but true. Third, by having all the attributes of God, He would be limitless. Hence, His ability to do all that which He did. Fourth, the transfiguration upon the mount makes perfect sense and clarifies Christ's being. And finally, by being fully human, He can fulfill the Old Covenant, and by being God, have the authority to create a New and eternal Covenant.

My last point is perhaps the most important. From that, much can be extrapolated. By being God, He has authority. The New Covenant is open to all people, yes? If Christ were not God, He would not have this authority. He would be in contradiction with God, who established the Old Covenant. By being fully human, He can fulfill the Old Covenant, enabling the creation of a new one. It is only with Christ being fully God/Man (aka, the hypostatic union) that the crucifixion and resurrection can have any eternal impact. And through Christ can salvation be extended to all people.

Last edited:

popsthebuilder

Okay. Makes sense now. Thank you for the clarification.

The answer with your questions is simple, He is God. Limitless and unrestricted. I know this seems to be a circular method of reasoning, but allow me to explain further.

Why would God....: Because God, being all knowing, knows that man could never perfect himself. He knows that man, left to his own device, will surely damn himself. One has to look no further than the beginnings of the Old Testament to see evidence of this. Even Lot's wife looked back because she longed more for the world than for God. So why would God manifest Himself in a fully human state? To fulfill what no other could.

How is that Christ....: As stated before, one is left with only three options. Either Christ is a deity, Christ is a human, or Christ is fully God/Man. If Christ is a deity, He could not fulfill the Old Covenant. Thereby, when He says that that is what He is doing, then He is a liar. If Christ is a human, He is a blasphemer, for claiming that He "and the Father are One." As well as all of His "I Am" declarations. If Christ is part deity/man, then He is a demigod and both the above are once again true. The only logical option left is that Christ is fully God/Man.

With this third option, how can this be? First, if Christ is fully God, He would be eternal and have all the attributes of God. Second, by being God, His claims of being One and "I Am" are not not blasphemous, but true. Third, by having all the attributes of God, He would be limitless. Hence, His ability to do all that which He did. Fourth, the transfiguration upon the mount makes perfect sense and clarifies Christ's being. And finally, by being fully human, He can fulfill the Old Covenant, and by being God, have the authority to create a New and eternal Covenant.

My last point is perhaps the most important. From that, much can be extrapolated. By being God, He has authority. The New Covenant is open to all people, yes? If Christ were not God, He would not have this authority. He would be in contradiction with God, who established the Old Covenant. By being fully human, He can fulfill the Old Covenant, enabling the creation of a new one. It is only with Christ being fully God/Man (aka, the hypostatic union) that the crucifixion and resurrection can have any eternal impact. And through Christ can salvation be extended to all people.
That's quite the elaborate explanation friend; and to be honest it doesn't explain much. Remember I asked why, not if GOD could. I donot deny that GOD is without limit and could indeed without effort manifest itself in human form if it so desired.

So again; why would GOD need to sacrifice itself for itself? And an omnipotent omniscient eternal spirit cannot die, or it wouldn't be omnipotent or eternal.

If your answer is so that man can be directed towards what is good and right or that they might find salvation then why must Jesus the savior and anointed of GOD have to be the utter fullness of GOD while man, for either of those things to be true?

Lastly the spirit of GOD is within all creation. The spirit of GOD is too eternal. The Christ's vessel being utterly filled with the Holy Spirit would indeed manifest such truths as he stated.

Anyway....Perhaps we can just answer that first question logically and simply; as the truths of GOD are indeed simple and not of confusion. Then maybe we can move forward.

Thank you for not considering this an attack on your belief, as it is surely counted towards your faith and as such righteousness.

peace sincerely

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Jesus, his humanity and divinity.......

Jesus, his humanity and divinity.......

Hello friend,

Absolutely. I would love most to reply to your questions. First off, I find your response to be the most scholastic and academic. Therefore, no offense to others, I respect it more. You have provided sufficient factors for your charges.

Hello jsanford,

Thank you,....my original response to your OP still holds here, with our other threads (links) on the Unitarian/Trinitarian debates where many of my own commentaries are :) - if you've read enough of my 'Christological' views, I dont see any major problem or dogmatic insistence upon any particular view although I currently hold a more Unitarian view for the sake of practicality and simplicity, as being more in sync with Jewish Monotheism. But I'm very eclectic in my Christology and see all points of view, some views being more tenable or logical within various contexts, while the view that is best IMO, is that which is most consistent as weighed by reason, logic, intelligence, conscience, spiritual discernment and wisdom. There are fine scholars, teachers, theologians of both Unitarian and Trinitarian schools,...and also more liberal ones of different schools, who honor Jesus just as well.

The Trinity is superior due to the hypostatic nature of Christ, and the eternally "oneness" of God/Christ. If Christ exists as a deity alone, then there is no true "human" sacrifice. Without this sacrifice, the standards and fulfillment of the Old Covenant could not be met or completed. The Covenant would forever lack the human element in its sacrifice. Therefore, a "New Covenant" would be insufficient because humanity would have to obey and fulfill two covenants, rather than one. This would only increase the burden that humanity would have to bear.

I do see how the 'hypostatic union' can appear to resolve things for trinitarian per their 'theology', as explaining how he fulfills messianic prophecies in the OT as assumed or interpreted in the NT. It still holds that the Jewish Messiah is to be a human descendant of David, and will rule on David's throne, he may even have children, and is not expected to be a demi-god, much less YHWH himself!, - in traditional orthodox Judaism, this concept is foreign to them, just as YHWH being a Trinity, is unthinkable to an orthodox Jew. I'm all for innovations and progressive revelation, of course...but just saying, for Jews to accept their Messiah being 'God in the flesh' (literally/actually)...and that he will be that in the Messianic Age....will be a major shock to their very culture, their whole theology.

I will add that your mention of Jesus needing to be a "human sacrifice" can be debated, as human sacrifice is forbidden in the Tanakh, and its taught in many passages that another person cannot atone for the sins of anyone else, neither can their 'righteousness' be transferred to anyone else. Each are reponsible for their own sins and salvation,....each must REPENT themselves and turn to God...this is the only true WAY. - outward ritual sacrifices may help compliment or illustrate the gesture of surrender or sacrificing the self, in its yielding to God, but without the true repentance within the soul, an inner tranformation....the blood of bulls, goats, rams,...even the blood of a demi-god or angel...will not avail. - we can consider various symbolic meanings about the blood, as it relates to 'life-force', 'substance' and 'vitality' as a physical picture of something 'spiritual' in nature, but such remain 'figurative' metaphors.

Hence I explain elsewhere that my view does not discount or dishonor the blood of Jesus, its just a matter of understanding it symbolically, as a matter of faith anyways. YOU must still exercise faith, repent and turn to God. There is no substitute for this, as long as you can do this.

See the thread, 'Atonement without blood according to Freelight' :)

If Christ exists as a human alone, He would be a blasphemer. His several quotes of "I Am," would be truthfully labeled as blasphemy. The Jews would have been perfectly lawful and right to have slain Him. Add on to this, Christ saying "I and the Father are one." This would solidify the Jewish charges of blasphemy.

The 'I Am' statements can be explained within a Unitarian framework. None of the I Am's necessarily prove or even point to Jesus so called divinity, and we've even contested John 8:58 in older threads. Also,...in context when Jesus said he and his Father were one, he also prayed in his high-priestly prayer that we be 'one' with him and the Father,...in like unity of purpose, will, spirit, agreement. While the oneness that Jesus shared with the Father as the Firstborn or Only Begotten may be special and unique kind of sonship,....the statement "I and my Father' are one, can still be had within a Unitarian understanding.

If Christ was two separate deities, being part man and part God, the first point of the Old Covenant being unfulfilled, would once again be true.

But certain complications come with such a 'con-fusion' in any case.

The only way to satisfy the Old Covenant, creating a New Covenant, and to be fully and wholly truthful, Christ would have to be fully God and fully man. Consubstantial with God the Father. This would render Christ as perfect and sinless. He would satisfy the requirements of the Old Covenant, have the authority to create a New Covenant, and be without blemish in any capacity.

Granted its admitted the 'incarnation' is a divine and human mystery, some would not accept the logic of a fully human and fully God 'being'...being a possibility. It appears to defy logic, raionale or possibility to some....to have a person being 100% one thing, while being also 100% another thing, so to speak. However, this subtle 'compound unity' does seem to ALLOW trinitarians to have their cake and eat it too :) - this way, one can allow Jesus to have the full potentials and privileges of humanity and divinity at once - ah,....it sounds pretty awesome, but is this philosopically sound or tenable? I merely ask the questions.

Oh and do note that Jesus in his humanity was already pure as a lamb so to speak,....so wouldn't really need to be 'divine' in any sense, Christologically speaking....to be the lamb of God. - we still question though the 'blood atonement' assumption that God demanded BLOOD in order to forgive, buy back or pay a debt of some kind,...some challenge this notion.

From this, one can conclude that a denying of this Triune God is a denial of His attribute. A denial of any part of Him would be considered a sin, since one would be denying a whole aspect of God. God is always and eternal. All attributes have to exist together and at all times. A denial of one aspect or attribute is placing limitations on reality. In doing this, one would naturally deny other aspects and attributes, eventually leading to a god of one's own mind and limitations, restricted to one's ideal reality.

In the curious confusion of a totally human and divine Jesus, I dont think any attribute is being denied so much to be jumbled together as one, so its a fully loaded conclusion of any and all human and divine possibilities. - in a Christological sense an Arian, Semi-arian or Trinitarian view (and others) are possible and each school would have their logical supports, philosophical reasons and proof-texts. Therefore its a matter of what 'criteria' one is using to judge the validity, probability or soundness of any given particular view, and that may vary per person or cult.

popsthebuilder

[MENTION=1746]freelight[/MENTION]

That was very well written and unbiased. Conveying sound points all while not disregarding the beliefs or perspectives of others.

I know it wasn't for me, but felt compelled to note that it was overall an outstanding post in my opinion.

Not flattering; it was indeed noteworthy.

peace

marhig

EE, I'll tell you which teaching damns people, teaching them that they can still wilfully sin and all will be ok with God because Jesus had done it all for them! This is a false teaching from the father of lies, Satan. With his "even if you sin you you shall not surely die but be saved" this is not the truth. Sin brings forth death!

I hear people talking about whether Jesus is God etc. But we rarely hear people teach that we are to live by the will of God, which is one of Jesus' core teachings! He even went as far as to say that those who don't live by the will of God are in danger of being told to depart from him and that they are workers of iniquity.

We can know all the Hebrew, Greek and know every word of the Bible off by heart, but that means nothing if our hearts are wrong before God. God wants a clean heart within us, and this is obtained through Christ by the Spirit, and as the Spirit teaches us and shows us our sins, then we are to turn from them and do Gods will. God wants to see Christ in us, and that's not possible if our hearts are still filled with fleshly lusts!

So don't come telling me that I'm damning people for believing in and saying that Jesus isn't God, as nowhere in the Bible does it say that we must believe that Jesus is God. We are taught to believe that Jesus is the son of God and that's what I believe and speak. I'm speaking what's in the Bible EE. Not some false Trinitarian doctrine made up by a group of men!

If I'm baring false witness, and damning people for saying that Jesus isn't God. Then show me in the Bible where it says that we must believe that Jesus is God? God would not have left out something so important.

If it's not there, then don't tell me I have to believe it as it's a false teaching!

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
[MENTION=1746]freelight[/MENTION]

That was very well written and unbiased. Conveying sound points all while not disregarding the beliefs or perspectives of others.

I know it wasn't for me, but felt compelled to note that it was overall an outstanding post in my opinion.

Not flattering; it was indeed noteworthy.

peace

Thanks pops. Been at it for years ;)