Muslim from Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abu Rashid

Howdy I am a Muslim from Australia.

Formerly nominally Anglican Christian, I have been a Muslim for about 12 years now.

Abu Rashid

Nope, of course not.

When making a conscious and specific decision to follow a faith, we tend to take it more seriously I guess.

Abu Rashid

bybee,

To me, you are an apostate. Nothing you can say will erase that fact. bybee

There's no such thing as apostasy really in Christianity anyway, so that's irrelevant. Christianity (the modern incarnation) has abandoned any such concept really. But if it makes you happy, yes I am an apostate from the polytheistic belief of Christianity, and a believer in the pure monotheism of Islam.

Stripe,

So ... why are you an Australian?

What makes you Taiwanese?

BabyChristian

bybee,

There's no such thing as apostasy really in Christianity anyway, so that's irrelevant. Christianity (the modern incarnation) has abandoned any such concept really. But if it makes you happy, yes I am an apostate from the polytheistic belief of Christianity, and a believer in the pure monotheism of Islam.

We're monotheistic and if you were ever a "real" Christian you would know it. Maybe you missed that day in church lessons.

In the Bible it states that many apostasies will happen during end times.

Buh bye.

Do you believe Muslim martyrs will get 72 virgins or raisins?

Dark Radiance

Hello Abu.
I have met quite a few Orthodox Australians (which I was rather surprised by) but not an Australian Muslim.
Welcome.

Abu Rashid

BabyChristian,

We're monotheistic and if you were ever a "real" Christian you would know it. Maybe you missed that day in church lessons.

Do you believe Prophet Jesus (pbuh) was god in human form?? If so, then you are not monotheistic, any more than Hindus are, who believe they are worshipping different forms of god through their hundreds of idols.

Anything more than one is polytheism. 3 or 300.

Do you believe Muslim martyrs will get 72 virgins or raisins?

Since I understand the Qur'an was written in Arabic and not Aramaic (unlike some shoddy detractors of Islam) I'm well aware it refers to virgins, not raisins.

Thunder's Muse,

Always good to have another Aussie around the place. Welcome to TOL

Thanks for the welcome mate. Are we the only ones here? Or are there others?

Jackson,

So what made you want to become a Muslim?

I didn't necessarily want to become a Muslim, I wanted to find the truth about God. I felt Christianity did not provide it, and I began investigating other religions, just to see what they had to say. I found Messianic Judaism to be interesting, but it was a bit too caught up in the whole Jewish-ethnic thing for me. Then I came across Islam, which I found to have pretty much the same kinds of beliefs, but without the Jewish ethno-centric stuff, and after a year or two of intense study, I was convinced it was the original pure monotheism practised by people like Abraham (pbuh) and which Judaism and Christianity were inevitably 'evolved' forms of.

I always felt religion should be about God and God alone, and no other religion in my knowledge truly recognises that except Islam. Christianity has a man-god, Judaism is very ethno-centric, Buddhism is just vague and about a man as well etc. Islam is purely just about identification of God as the only being worthy of worship, and worshipping him, simple.

Sadly due to a lot of propaganda and misinformation that gets around, many people in Western countries are denied the opportunity to discover this. But nowadays with the internet and other media, it's becoming easier to learn the truth.

DarkRadiance,

Hello Abu.
I have met quite a few Orthodox Australians (which I was rather surprised by) but not an Australian Muslim.
Welcome.

Thanks for the welcome. Yes Australian Muslims are small in number, as the religion has only been gaining followers here over the past few decades, but in the past decade it's really taken off. Pretty much weekly I tend to come across new Muslims.

As for Orthodox, they're all fairly recent arrivals I think. There's no Australian Orthodox Church, so probably most of our Orthodox are Greeks. I know of some Egyptian and Russian Orthodox who live here also.

Stripe,

Nothing. I'm not Taiwanese.

Well whatever you are, why do you consider yourself that?

I am Australian because it's my home, it's where I grew up, it's where my parents and their parents and theirs etc. come from. Would've thought that would be pretty obvious... no?

Peripatetic

Welcome out Abu.

Are you by any chance in or around Syndey? A pretty conservative/Reformed bunch of Anglicans in that diocese, who would uphold the reality of apostacy.

Last edited:

Tyrathca

Thunder's Muse,

Thanks for the welcome mate. Are we the only ones here? Or are there others?
Do not fear, fellow Aussies are here! Now for a VERY important question for any Aussie.... What football code do you follow? :chuckle:

DarkRadiance,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes Australian Muslims are small in number, as the religion has only been gaining followers here over the past few decades, but in the past decade it's really taken off. Pretty much weekly I tend to come across new Muslims.
Ironically the only Australian Muslim I have met (I don't count seeing strangers on the street, plus I assume could have met others and realised) was a regular substitute teacher at my Catholic highschool. Nice lady who did an admirable job considering she sometimes covered for the RE teacher. I have met a LOT of international muslim's, mainly from Malaysia but thats because my particular uni course has a large contingent of them (Malaysian's) due to various agreements.

As for Orthodox, they're all fairly recent arrivals I think. There's no Australian Orthodox Church, so probably most of our Orthodox are Greeks. I know of some Egyptian and Russian Orthodox who live here also.
I have a close friend who is Egytian Orthodox but as for the others I can't say I know of any. I'd agree though the majority are likely Greek due to demographics.

Stripe,
Well whatever you are, why do you consider yourself that?

I am Australian because it's my home, it's where I grew up, it's where my parents and their parents and theirs etc. come from. Would've thought that would be pretty obvious... no?
Seems like a fair enough answer to me!

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Not necessarily.

Australians are pretty weird. :)

Abu Rashid

Peripatetic,

Welcome out Abu.

Are you by any chance in or around Syndey? A pretty conservative/Reforned bunch of Anglicans in that diocese, who would uphold the reality of apostacy

Thanks for the welcome :)

Nope I am from Melbourne. But as I said, I was nominally Anglican, meaning I had very little to do with the Church itself. It was more something I knew my ancestors had believed in, and something to tick on forms that ask those kinds of things.

Tyrathca,

Do not fear, fellow Aussies are here! Now for a VERY important question for any Aussie.... What football code do you follow?

Victorian here, so AFL :) I did however live in Sydney for about 5 or 6 years, and have been to see an ARL game before, didn't think much of it though.

Ironically the only Australian Muslim I have met (I don't count seeing strangers on the street, plus I assume could have met others and realised) was a regular substitute teacher at my Catholic highschool. Nice lady who did an admirable job considering she sometimes covered for the RE teacher.

It's a bit strange that they let her teach RE. Would've thought that'd strictly be the domain of the Catholic faithful.

Status
Not open for further replies.