Most Bacteria Are Good

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Intersting article discussed at creation safaris:

Bacteria Rule the World – Benevolently 08/02/2006
We should love bacteria, not annihilate them. Bacteria are our friends, according to Dianne K. Newman of Caltech:1

"As a microbiologist, I’m appalled when I go to buy soap or dishwashing detergent, because these days it’s hard to find anything that doesn’t say ‘antibacterial’ on it.... It’s a commonly held fallacy that all bacteria are germs, but it’s been estimated that out of more than 30 million microbial species, only 70 are known to be pathogens. That’s a trivial number. The vast majority are actually doing remarkable things, both for the quality of our life and for the quality of the planet."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1Dianne K. Newman, “Bacteria Are Beautiful,” Caltech Engineering & Science (LXIX:2), Aug. 2006, pp. 8-15.
---------------------------------------------

Comment from creation safaris:
By the way, none of the criticism of antibacterial soap should be taken to mean that cleanliness and sanitation are unworthy goals. It doesn’t take many of the 70 terrorist gangs to cause serious harm. Everything in moderation. Think about how few of the millions of microbial species are harmful to us. If most are beneficial, it would almost suggest that something went wrong with the delinquent types.

Johnny

Think about how few of the millions of microbial species are harmful to us. If most are beneficial, it would almost suggest that something went wrong with the delinquent types.
What do they mean something went wrong? Why couldn't God have created pathogenic bacteria? I wonder if they would contend the bacteria are uphill or downhill mutations, and if they have any support either way? I think I could make a pretty strong argument that they would have to be classified as uphill mutations, but we can't have that. I suppose the use of the "almost" qualifier eliminates the burden of explanation and defense. Perhaps someone else would care to take up the cause?

noguru

bob b said:
Intersting article discussed at creation safaris:

Bacteria Rule the World – Benevolently 08/02/2006
We should love bacteria, not annihilate them. Bacteria are our friends, according to Dianne K. Newman of Caltech:1

"As a microbiologist, I’m appalled when I go to buy soap or dishwashing detergent, because these days it’s hard to find anything that doesn’t say ‘antibacterial’ on it.... It’s a commonly held fallacy that all bacteria are germs, but it’s been estimated that out of more than 30 million microbial species, only 70 are known to be pathogens. That’s a trivial number. The vast majority are actually doing remarkable things, both for the quality of our life and for the quality of the planet."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1Dianne K. Newman, “Bacteria Are Beautiful,” Caltech Engineering & Science (LXIX:2), Aug. 2006, pp. 8-15.

---------------------------------------------

Comment from creation safaris:
By the way, none of the criticism of antibacterial soap should be taken to mean that cleanliness and sanitation are unworthy goals. It doesn’t take many of the 70 terrorist gangs to cause serious harm. Everything in moderation. Think about how few of the millions of microbial species are harmful to us. If most are beneficial, it would almost suggest that something went wrong with the delinquent types.

It's good that you are finally catching up on the science of microbes. Have you ever heard of acidophilus? It is often in yogurt.

In regard to our immune system, I take a step further. I believe our immune system needs to be exercised. Of course too much stress can be harmful. But in this modern day when everything we come in contact with has been sterilized by denaturing or antibacterials, the chances of our immune system rising to the task of defending us from some very harmful microbe is decreased. I also believe that antibiotics can weaken our immune system in thne long term. I stay away from shots, and prefer larger amounts of vitamin C, echinacea, garlic extract, and water to boost my immune system.

Last edited:

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
noguru said:
It's good that you are finally catching up on the science of microbes. Have you ever heard of acidophilus? It is often in yogurt.

In regard to our immune system, I take a step further. I believe our immune system needs to be exercised. Of course too much stress can be harmful. But in this modern day when everything we come in contact with has been sterilized by denaturing or antibacterials, the chances of our immune system rising to the task of defending us from some very harmful microbe is decreased. I also believe that antibiotics can weaken our immune system in thne long term. I stay away from shots, and prefer larger amounts of vitamin C, echinacea, garlic extract, and water to boost my immune system.

It is interesting that you would suggest that the immune system needs exercising.

I have read medical articles that state that keeping young children away from "dirt" may cause them problems later in life because it keeps their immune systems from completely developing. Of course too much of anything is not good either.

----------------

Which scenario does one prefer?:

1) 3 billion years of mutations which have generated all the different forms of life, but has resulted in only 70 species of pathogenic bacteria out of 30 million,

OR

2) 6-7000 years of mutations which have generated at least some of the 30 million different species of bacteria, but has not had enough time to generate many species of mutant pathogens.

Last edited:

noguru

bob b said:
It is interesting that you would suggest that the immune system needs exercising.

I have read medical articles that state that keeping young children away from "dirt" may cause them problems later in life because it keeps their immune systems from completely developing. Of course too much of anything is not good either.

This is the direction in which the evidence points.

----------------

bob b said:
Which scenario does one prefer?:

1) 3 billion years of mutations which have generated all the different forms of life, but has resulted in only 70 species of pathogenic bacteria out of 30 million,

OR

2) 6-7000 years of mutations which have generated at least some of the 30 million different species of bacteria, but has not had enough time to generate many species of mutant pathogens.

Neither scenario is better supported by the evidence you have mentioned. Is it possible that you omitted some pertinent information?

70 species of pathogenic bacteria known to affect humans?

Or does that number increase as we open our scope to other animals? Are the 70 species currently known the only ones that ever existed?