Mitzvah to Cure on the Sabbath.

Ben Masada

Mitzvah to Cure on the Sabbath

And the woman conceived and bore a son at the same season the following year that Elisha had assured her she would. The child grew up and one day, a very hot day, he went out to his father among the reapers and suddenly he cried to his father; Oh my head! My head! The boy was having a sunstroke. He said to a servant. Rush! Get him to his mother! He picked him up and brought him to his mother; and the child sat on her lap until noon; and he died aka passed out. She took him up and laid him on the bed of Elisha, the Prophet; and left him and closed the door. Then she called to her husband: "Please, send me one of the servants and one of the she-*****, so I can hurry to the man of God and back." But he said, "Why are you going to him today? It is neither new moon nor Sabbath" She answered, "It is all right." Elisha came over and started to apply resuscitation. He mounted the bed and placed himself over the child. He put his mouth on its mouth, his eyes on its eyes and his hands on its hands as he bent over it and the body of the child became worm. Elisha tried the same procedure again, the boy sneezed seven times and opened his eyes. Elisha called the mother and said to her, "Pick up your son for he is alive." (II Kings 4:17-37)

The issue to discuss in this post is in the words of the father of the child: "Why are you going to the Prophet today? It is neither new moon nor Sabbath." It means that it was a common thing to do to use the services of the Prophet to cure on the Sabbath. In other words, it was a Mitzvah to cure on the Sabbath. Bottom line to do good deeds on the Sabbath. Therefore, the criticism in the NT against the Pharisees for standing against curing on the Sabbath was not true but akin to slander.

Last edited:

beameup

Therefore, the criticism in the NT against the Pharisees for standing against curing on the Sabbath was not true but akin to slander.

The Pharisees had so corrupted His Law that the Son of God had to come to rebuke them.

However, Mosaic Judaism ceased to exist in 70 A.D., so it remains a "moot point".

Ben Masada

The Pharisees had so corrupted His Law that the Son of God had to come to rebuke them.

However, Mosaic Judaism ceased to exist in 70 A.D., so it remains a "moot point".

No one corrupted the Law more vehemently than Paul to the point of contradicting Jesus himself who came to confirm the Law down to the letter till heaven and earth passed away. (Mat. 5:17-19)