Mean TOL members

Chileice

Beanie,
I will try to answer all of your questions... assuming you really want an answer. This may be an exercise in futility bescause it appaers that both sides just bait each other. But I hope these answers will contribute positively to the discussion.

Originally posted by beanieboy

What I am told about God simply doesn't make sense.
Luther disagreed with the church, so do I..
Yes, Luther disagreed and did some positive things to reform the church of his day.

I am told that Jesus is my Savior. Or he's not, if I decide he isn't.
I think true love demands the possibility of rejection. Jesus loves you, but He does not force YOU to love HIM. That would not be love but rather coersion.

Jesus saves people from sin. And yet, they continue to sin.
Yes, we still have a sinful nature. It doesn't take a genius to see that. Peter was able to deny Christ during the crucifixion process. I think part of the reason is so that we become dependant on God rather than on our own righteousness. We have to be humble enough to admit that we CANNOT save ourselves, in spite of what wickwoman believes. But we are saved from slavery to sin and its consecunces. I often hear a voice in my head to stop me from sinning. I may still chose to disobey, but God will provide a way of escape. I must chose to use it.

I am told that the Bible is God's word, but none of it is written by Jesus, who is God.
I believe it was inspired by God and was written by people, with their own particular personalities and quirks, but that it was written as an accurate account of God (Jesus)' dealings with humankind.

I am told that the Bible is God, and is revered, and then a poster said, "Who cares about theologians?" They have done research on the text, the culture, etc. But who cares? Who needs to research the bible? Who cares what experts say about the bible?
Whoever said the Bible is God is a liar. Whoever said that? I think theologians can do us some good in opening up a deeper understanding of scripture but I believe it stands for itself as well. Joe Blow in a hotel room reading a Gideon's Bible can come to know and understand that Jesus is the Saviour and that they need him as their Saviour. You don't need a theology degree to trust Christ.

People who Christian think nonchristians should obey the bible.
I don't supoose they have any reason to, but if they know what the Bible says and refuse to listen then they disobey at their own peril. I would not want to stand before God and have to explain that I intentionally rejected Him and the counsel of His word.

When God sees you, he only sees Jesus. And yet, he knows you personally.
God loved you while you were yet a sinner. But God has to see you through Jesus tinted glasses, because he can't bear to see your sin. But he had no problem looking at it before.

I suppose it is like a parent. I loved my kids before they were born. I talked to them in the womb. I made a conscious decision to love them no matter what. But my love can be rejected and in those few ocassions where my kids were willfully disobedient, it was them who had no desire to see me... not the other way around. But until they came to ask forgiveness, there was little I could do because they avoided me out of the guilt they had.

This idea that God can't look at us because of our sin is overboard. He is God. I'm sure he sees everything. He always told Israel about their sins. How could he have iknown their sins without seeing them. Jesus saw sin ALL THE TIME and yet he loved the people. The problem is that sin ruins our fellowship. WE don't want to be in the presence of holiness if we are being unholy. Guilt makes us want to sneak off in a corner, or behind the door, anywhere but in the warm light of His love, because at that moment we either don't want to be discovered or afterward we don't feel worthy of that love so we hide like Adam.

God loves you unconditionally, except you have to love him back.

God loves you and really doesn't want to send you to hell where you will be tortured for eternity.

God gave us free will, and wants us to choose to do his will, or he will send us to said hell.

I really do NOT believe God SENDS anyone to hell. I do think that is our natural bent. We want to be left alone to do what we want to do, damn everyone and anyone who wants to stop us. We want the perfect freedom to be captains of our own ships and to do what we jolly well please. Yet, at the end of the day we want God to give us heaven (which, by the way, should include everything I want, all the people I love and be run the way I want it run) and to accept us perfectly when we rejected every effort He made to pull us out of our selfishness and willful rebellion.

I think He begs and pleads that we get off the road of selfish self-destruction and onto the narrow path of corporate well-being, of loving our neighbour, of reaching out to the needy of yielding our will to His. He holds forgiveness out but we must grasp it.

I say that I feel the wind and think of God. I'm called a pagan. I look at the trees and think of them being created by God, think of the life a tree has, the way it eats sunlight, and drinks with its roots. That makes me a pagan.
Nothing pagan about that. David wrote lovely psalms about how nature is the creation of our Lord and how nature itself rejoices and makes our hearts rejoice in Him. As long as nature leads us to worship the creator rather than the created thing or being, it is a positive thing.

I tell you that each day, I pray. I sit happily and think about the wonderful day I was blessed with. I thank God for enough food and shelter, and for making me me.
I am told that I worship a false God.

We can invent gods. That's been done for generations. I suggest you read Isaiah 40-55 in the next few days. Just remember who that GOD is. The one and only God from whom all things came into being. Not a minigod created in our own minds to fulfill our selfish desires. How can I say what God you worship? I'm not in your head. All I can say is anything short of the ONE true omnipotent God is falling short of worshipping the TRUE God.

I think about God a lot. I come here and ask questions. I read the Bible. I read Buddhism books, I read any spiritual thing I can.
I debate. I think about it.
And I am told that I am lost.

Maybe you are, maybe you aren't. What do you think? Do you sense that the seaching is because you still don't have a personal relationship to the living Lord. If that is the case, maybe you should admit you are lost and ask for help, not from someone on this board, but from the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Ask God himself to forgive you, to change you and to live inside of you. Then grow in that new-found relationship.... not expecting perfection but growth. Then trust your faith and not your feelings. Trust the truth of God's word and not the opinions of men. It could be the beginning of a long and beautiful pilgrimage.

I ask God to reveal himself to me each day.
I come here and am told not to rely on my own understanding.
I am told not to trust my own reasoning.

Good. I don't see the problem in this statement. God has revealed himself in Jesus Christ. We DO need to trust him. We can use the reasoning power God has given us and we should. But we also have to realize that faith IS greater than reason. Where reason fails faith still shines. History has proven that over and over again. Very few people are remembered as "men of great reason" but many are remembered as "men of great faith".

Other people tell me that I have to believe their religion, that Jesus died, and I have to ask him to be my savior, yet, they tell me to listen to no man.
So I don't. And they say, "Listen to me! Don't listen to any man!"

Obviously you have to listen to somebody. But you also have to weigh the evidence. You ought to weigh the evidence of a life. Does this person's life reflect what they say about Jesus? If so, listen to them. If they seem to have nothing of the love of the Lord than they are like a clanging cymbol or a noisy gong as Paul says in I Corinthians 13, and you probably ought not to pay much attention to them. I would be like the Bereans as someone mentioned (Acts17) and compare what I heard with what I see in the Bible.

It's very illogical.

I don't know how to turn my brain off and believe that.

These are not questions of a child. These are questions of a man.
As a child, I remember being 4, and my mother making hot dogs. I looked down at them and said, "mom, is Jesus in your heart?" She said, yes. Dads? Yes. Mine? Yes.
How can he be cut in enough pieces?

I was thinking of the hot dogs. You can't feed millions of people on one hot dog.

These are not childish questions.

Yes, I agree it is illogical, or rather it is supralogical. It is beyond logic. The logical thing for God to do would be destroy the whole mess and start over with robotrons that do his every bidding. That would be logical, but love is beyond logic. I do not love my wife for logical reasons. I suppose others could say many of the same things about their wives that I could say about mine, but I LOVE my wife and not theirs. Love, true love will never be quantified and understood. If it were the world would be full of Vulcans. But thank God it is NOT that way. There is enough love for us all. The blood shed on the cross was infinite. Jesus stands ready to save EVERYBODY. But He won't force himself on ANYBODY. So I do not see it as a series of illogical contradictions, but rather an amazing series of supralogical communications with us as humans. A desire on the part of God to transcend species and reach out to a selfish race of humans and offer us love and salvation. That I think is pretty cool.

I hope you now have your questions answered. Now I hope you will take the time to consider those answers and to act upon them. And I hope the rest will respect your need to do so and will rejoice in the decision you make.:thumb:

beanieboy

Thanks for your answers, Chiliece.

Do I think I am searching because I don't have a relationship with God?

Have you ever had a close friend? Do you spend a lot of time talking on the phone with them, just sitting saying nothing with them and being happy, ask them about themselves, etc., because you don't have a close relationship with them? Or do you seek to know them better and better because you have a relationship with them.

Now if I said to you, "your wife is x, your wife is y," but something about what i said didn't seem right, would you believe me? And then, I would say, "Hey, don't listen to your own understanding," would you then listen to my understanding of your wife?

Or would you tell your wife you want to know her, and trust her, and pretty much ignore the people that appear to not know you wife at all, but claim to?

That's how I see it.
I could be wrong, so I ask questions, and I think about it.
I ask God and I think about it.

So, I very much appreciate your answers.

One Eyed Jack

Nor do you have answers.

What makes you think that? Or is that not really what you think, and you're just saying that in an effort to provoke me? I've noticed that insults tend to be your standard response to things you don't like hearing.

Nope.

beanieboy

Again, no answers.
So, yeah. I don't think you have any.
I thank Chiliece, but Chiliece had answers.
I told you that "i don't know" may not answer the question, but at least it's honest.

You are simply being defensive, and saying "I know but I don't have to tell you."

We had a kid in our neighborhood who would say stuff like, "I can levitate!" We would say, "Oh yeah? Prove it."
He would say, "I can, I just don't want to right now. I don't have to prove it anyway."

It proves nothing. You don't have to answer.
But don't expect me to listen to you later then.

Last edited:

One Eyed Jack

Again, no answers.

I didn't see any questions addressed to me.

So, yeah. I don't think you have any.

Well, you fail to ask questions of me, and you'll never know whether or not I have any answers.

I thank Chiliece, but Chiliece had answers.
I told you that "i don't know" may not answer the question, but at least it's honest.

You are simply being defensive, and saying "I know but I don't have to tell you."

No, I have no idea what your question is. I'm not a mind-reader, beanie. Ask me a question, and I'll answer it to the best of my ability.

We had a kid in our neighborhood who would say stuff like, "I can levitate!" We would say, "Oh yeah? Prove it."
He would say, "I can, I just don't want to right now. I don't have to prove it anyway."

It proves nothing. You don't have to answer.
But don't expect me to listen to you later then.

I don't expect you to listen to me anyway.

elected4ever

beanieboyIf you wern't confused before Chileice's answeres then surly you are now. Most on this forum are confused. I think most don't know if they are saved or not. You can know if you ask. Salvation is not unknowable.

:e4e:

Chileice

Originally posted by elected4ever

beanieboyIf you wern't confused before Chileice's answeres then surly you are now. Most on this forum are confused. I think most don't know if they are saved or not. You can know if you ask. Salvation is not unknowable.

:e4e:

I agree with you e4e. I agree because of I John 5:
Originally posted by John the Disciple
9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater; for this is the witness of God which He has testified of His Son. 10 He who believes in the Son of God has the witness in himself; he who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son. 11 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

I'm not sure what you found confusing about my answers. I know you can know. But I cannot KNOW if someone else has that witness in their soul or not unless I know them pretty well. Beanie has to answer that question for himself. Does he have the witness of the Spirit in him or just the witness that some other man or woman has given him? It would appear that he doesn't yet, but neither you nor I are the Holy Spirit so that decision must be left up to Beanie and the Spirit. (Sounds like some new Broadway musical: "Beanie and the Spirit"):
:)

beanieboy

I suggest that I do.

I remember studying Denominations and Sects in college, because we had to take 3 religion classes. While studying Lutherans, I discovered that one is saved by grace. You cannot open your heart to God. God has to open it through his Spirit. Those who do not open their heart to God are at their own demise.

I was studying with a friend, and said, "Listen to this! Only God can open your heart, but if you close your heart to God, it's your own fault. How can you close a heart that is already closed?
And it sounds like God saves you, and you have no control. It's like predestination! Do you believe that???"

My friend said, "I don't know, I never thought about it."

Then I read that in baptism, we are finally welcomed into God's family. I said, "Do you believe that? That you aren't welcome with God until baptism, or that baptizing your baby really makes your child ok with God?" My friend said, "I never really thought about it."

My friend went to church, went up for communion, but just went through the motions. He wasn't "religious." But wasn't really interested, or spiritually hungry.

I listen, but I can't promise I will agree.
I think about God a lot.
I look at religions to see what I can learn.
I pray.
I meditate.

So, I would disagree. I think the Spirit is alive and well, it's just not the organized religion version of God.

Chileice

I suggest that I do.

I remember studying Denominations and Sects in college, because we had to take 3 religion classes. While studying Lutherans, I discovered that one is saved by grace. You cannot open your heart to God. God has to open it through his Spirit. Those who do not open their heart to God are at their own demise.

I was studying with a friend, and said, "Listen to this! Only God can open your heart, but if you close your heart to God, it's your own fault. How can you close a heart that is already closed?
And it sounds like God saves you, and you have no control. It's like predestination! Do you believe that???"

My friend said, "I don't know, I never thought about it."

Then I read that in baptism, we are finally welcomed into God's family. I said, "Do you believe that? That you aren't welcome with God until baptism, or that baptizing your baby really makes your child ok with God?" My friend said, "I never really thought about it."

My friend went to church, went up for communion, but just went through the motions. He wasn't "religious." But wasn't really interested, or spiritually hungry.

I listen, but I can't promise I will agree.
I think about God a lot.
I look at religions to see what I can learn.
I pray.
I meditate.

So, I would disagree. I think the Spirit is alive and well, it's just not the organized religion version of God.

Like I said, I am not the Holy Spirit. If you know that you have given your heart and life to Jesus, have repnted and asked Him to be your boss and Saviour and Guide, then I say Praise the Lord. If you read I John 5 and you KNow that you are saved, then you are. You are saved by His grace not by what we say. But, as I said only you and the Holy Spirit of God can testify to that truth. The Spirit knows and if you are His, you will have that witness in your heart.
Blessings,
Chileice