Mathew 24:36 and Open theism

This question arose on another forum and I wonder how open theists would respond. How do open theists respond to Math 24.\:36, In NRSV translation, it reads: “But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father". A forum commentator said this:
"we learn that the future could be known by God, and was in fact known by the Father. So knowing *at least* some of the future is within the scope of omniscience."

Danoh

Any view is always the result of the extent of each individual's actual familiarity with the whole of Scripture.

Not surprisingly, so is any difference in understanding between individuals.

For, not surprisingly, the more indepth one's familiarity with the Scripture itself actually is, the simpler it is for him or her to either embrace, or reject the view of another.

In its absence; the wisdom of men arises to rush in to attempt to fill in the resulting vacuum, at some points here and there.

Given this too often comedy of errors the hands of most make it; one would think Bible study is some sort of a Mel Brookes movie.

Danoh:
There are many experts, with various views of scripture. They run from the Roman Catholic Magisterium, the various Protestant denominations, various academic theologians, the Eastern Orthodox Church, different TV evangelists, etc. All can be said to be experts - but have entirely different views. My question was simple. How do open theists reconcile God knowing the day and the hour, when the world will end - with Open Theism? I'm not here do debate this. But I would appreciate some straightforward answers, to this simple question.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
But I would appreciate some straightforward answers, to this simple question.

My answer to your simple question is that the decision has not yet been made as to when Jesus Christ will establish God's kingdom on earth. We do know the time will be cut short but we don't know how short. (Matthew 24:22)

Has the kingdom of God been preached to the world to the Father's satisfaction? We don't know.

It's the Father's decision.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This question arose on another forum and I wonder how open theists would respond. How do open theists respond to Math 24.\:36, In NRSV translation, it reads: “But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father". A forum commentator said this:
"we learn that the future could be known by God, and was in fact known by the Father. So knowing *at least* some of the future is within the scope of omniscience."
You have to ask yourself ...... is the Son, GOD?
If your answer is "Yes", then GOD does not know everything for the simple fact that we see that the Son does not know everything.

But you also have to take the incarnation into consideration.
The Son was unique in that respect.
In order for Him to be tempted and experience the life of man, He had to, at times, only rely (for lack of a better word) on His human nature.

Hebrews 4 KJV​
(15) For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.​

Philippians 2 KJV​
(7) But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:​
(8) And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Hebrews 2 KJV​
(16) For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.​
(17) Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.​
(18) For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Bradley D

Always be ready for Christ's return including today.

"So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him" (Matthew 24:44).

"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour" (Matthew 25:13).

intojoy

BANNED
Banned

Some who live at the mid point of the trib will know the day. Because it's 3 1/2 years from that point. And 7 years from covenant of hell that is signed by Israel and the antichrist.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL