Manganese Nodules: Young or Old?

sentientsynth

I emailed him (from the link that fool provided.) So far no response. I'll call the number given in a couple of days if he doesn't respond before then.

fool

Hall of Fame
sentientsynth said:
I emailed him (from the link that fool provided.) So far no response. I'll call the number given in a couple of days if he doesn't respond before then.
Do you think that was the guy?

sentientsynth

You're probably right, but I figured it's worth a shot in the dark. As far as I know, he's our only lead, and I want this verified just as much as anyone else.

sentientsynth

No Luck this time

No Luck this time

I called John Yates today. Got his answering machine. I'll try back tomorrow. And the next day...and the next day....until I reach him.

I'll probably get a good chewing out for my efforts, but, just maybe, this is the man, or perhaps can point me in the right direction,

Taking one for the team,

SS

Jukia

sentientsynth said:
I called John Yates today. Got his answering machine. I'll try back tomorrow. And the next day...and the next day....until I reach him.

I'll probably get a good chewing out for my efforts, but, just maybe, this is the man, or perhaps can point me in the right direction,

Taking one for the team,

SS
A good chewing out? Nah, this thread is binging him his 15 minutes of fame.
And taking one for the team wins you the Don Baylor award---10 points for the first person to explain that.

truthteller86

Jukia said:
A good chewing out? Nah, this thread is binging him his 15 minutes of fame.
And taking one for the team wins you the Don Baylor award---10 points for the first person to explain that.
What for being the most beaned at the plate player in major league history (244) ?

GuySmiley

Jukia said:
This thread has gotten a bit far from manganese nodules on the ocean floor. Has anyone ever found the Yates guy who made the comment re concretions around beer cans? You know, the comment that Pastor Bob puts so much stock in?
Hey it turns out that Yates is my neighbor! He was over for a barbeque yesterday and showed me the manganese beer can. Its huge! The beer can sticks out a little. He's going to shave that off, drill some holes in the nodule and use if for a bowling ball.

Jukia

truthteller86 said:
What for being the most beaned at the plate player in major league history (244) ?
Good Job. But I think it was being hit by pitch, not beaned. And somewhere I think I heard that someone else is approaching that stat. But Baylor would just stand there, take one, turn and trot to first. I never saw him get angry at a pitcher (although he may have, thats gotta hurt a bit). But he was a big muscled up guy and just seemed to shrug it off and take his base.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Climbing...

Climbing...

Reported:
fool said:
...if you google yourself up some manganese nodules, http://www.google.com/search?q=mang...=&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-02,GGLD:en&start=10&sa=N
Th[is] old thread is the 17th thing on the list.
We're famous fellas! :rotfl:

Now that I've linked to this thread from the Bob's Writings page at KGOV, I'm sure we'll see that number climb higher :) .

So, fool found out that this thread (Google 17 of 121k on Jan. 16, '06 for: manganese nodules) is famous. I often google with double quotes, and found us at G16 of 48k on Jan. 18 for: "manganese nodules". We're climbing already :) .

-Bob

Johnny

On your writings page you titled it, "Manganese Nodules Can Form Rapidly".

I have one question: If they CAN form rapidly does that mean they all formed rapidly? Yes? No?

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Johnny, I'm hanging out in the BEL forum waiting for ThePhy's final reply to my offer to debate my Summit Clock illustration against the notion of time being relative. In the meantime, I'm glad to answer your question:

Johnny said:
On your writings page you titled it, "Manganese Nodules Can Form Rapidly".

I have one question: If they CAN form rapidly does that mean they all formed rapidly? Yes? No?

No. Of course not. Just because one or some nodules formed rapidly, does not mean that all must have formed rapidly. That should be obvious.

And equally obvious, if some nodules have formed rapidly as marine geologist Yates stated rather matter-of-factly, then previously published claims of required eons should be re-evaluated before being dogmatically retained. (That's the obvious part that your side rejects.) And if those previously published claims (before the brewery nodules were found) did not show insight by indicating also conditions under which rapid formation would occur, then those claims are further put in doubt.

Thus at least until such re-evaluation occurs, Old Earthers should, at least tentatively, remove nodulate formation from their Old Earth Evidence Column.

-Bob Enyart

Johnny

No. Of course not. Just because one or some nodules formed rapidly, does not mean that all must have formed rapidly. That should be obvious.
Indeed.

And equally obvious, if some nodules have formed rapidly as marine geologist Yates stated rather matter-of-factly, then previously published claims of required eons should be re-evaluated before being dogmatically retained.
Previous published claims were re-evaluated and thats why deep-sea nodules are still considered slow forming. I'll cite some papers from the past 10 years if it makes you happy. I'm certain that the question was asked: "if this lake-bed is 10,000 years old and we just found manganese nodules, maybe we should recheck the deep-sea nodules". But as you now realize, fast forming nodules have been studied since at least the 70s (though I have seen dates on references as far back as 1948).

So Mr. Enyart, here you're claiming that there has been no re-evaluation. Yet I can point to dating methods that weren't developed until after the discovery of young nodules. These dating methods have been used on deep-sea manganese nodules. So then it's fairly obvious that as newer and newer techniques are being developed, old ideas are being checked and rechecked. In addition to this, I can post at least 10 papers published on deep-sea manganese nodule formation in the past decade alone--well after the discovery of "young nodules". Perhaps then, if you wish, I can find you a paper thats more recent than 1999 detailing the dating and growth rates of deep-sea nodules. This would indicate that deep-sea nodules are still being evaluated after the beer-can nodule (if it even exists).

Remember claiming, "What evidence did they have that these form over millions of years? I guess they had none." Well, that was wrong. They have a lot. "Knee-jerk claims of old age?" Nope, sorry.

Last edited:

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Question for Johnny.

How do you know that the papers written since the discovery of young nodules went through a process of serious re-evaluation?

BTW, it seems to me that the fact that so many of the nodules can be seen lying on the surface of the seabed would cause a serious re-evaluation of the "millions of years" idea even if the beer/soda can finding were ignored.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Caution

Caution

Johnny said:
Previous published claims were re-evaluated and thats why deep-sea nodules are still considered slow forming.... Perhaps then, if you wish, I can find you a paper thats more recent than 1999 detailing the dating and growth rates of deep-sea nodules. This would indicate that deep-sea nodules are still being evaluated after the beer-can nodule (if it even exists).

How can you answer my question this way? You assert confidently that the scientific community has "re-evaluated" formation rates (after finding the brewery nodules), yet you still doubt the very existence of such nodules. If you can't find the source for the brewery nodules, what makes you think the authors of recent papers could? (It's not the kind of find that helps generate grant money.) So, how could you be so sure that serious "re-evaluation" of the formation rates occured? I think you should be more cautious, and agree that until more in known, you will not claim MNs require millions of years to form.

Agreed?

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
And from another thread:

And from another thread:

Jukia said:
I do not necessarily have an Old Earth column, dont need one. Taken as a whole it all points to an old earth.
Bob Enyart said:
BEQ1b-J: Two views exist regarding the age of the earth: young earth, and old earth. Also, human beings make careful observations of the world, and those observations will be interpreted differently by adherents of the opposing views of YE and OE. Do you agree that those who hold either view on the age of the earth can sort that evidence into Evidence Columns, one of which is titled Young Earth Evidence, and the other of which is titled Old Earth Evidence. Of course, either side may wrongly categorize evidence. But I’m asking you: is this paradigm valid for evaluating evidence for the age of the earth?
Johnny said:
To answer your question [BEQ1b-J]:
To be honest I am unsure whether or not this is a valid method...
And then Johnny responded to my posting of these three quotes:
Johnny said:
What does quoting me have to do with Jukia? He/she is a different person. I am unsure whether the two-column method is valid because there is really only one real column of evidence. That was my hesitancy...
I quoted you both to show two data points in what I consider a trend. Your underlined defense of your answer is a non sequitur. There is a body of evidence, and then there are different interpretations, and people classify evidence as supportive of one interpretation or another. Your refusal to unequivocally admit this is _______fill in the blank___________.

-Bob Enyart

fool

Hall of Fame
Originally Posted by Bob Enyart

BEQ1b-J: Two views exist regarding the age of the earth: young earth, and old earth. Also, human beings make careful observations of the world, and those observations will be interpreted differently by adherents of the opposing views of YE and OE. Do you agree that those who hold either view on the age of the earth can sort that evidence into Evidence Columns, one of which is titled Young Earth Evidence, and the other of which is titled Old Earth Evidence. Of course, either side may wrongly categorize evidence. But I’m asking you: is this paradigm valid for evaluating evidence for the age of the earth?

Bob;
please note.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dicotomy

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
fool, I didn't click on your link. I know what a false dichotomy is. And there isn't one in my question.

-Bob Enyart

fool

Hall of Fame
Bob Enyart said:
fool, I didn't click on your link. I know what a false dichotomy is. And there isn't one in my question.

-Bob Enyart
Yes there is.