Man Manhandled of United Airlines Flight

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
This is one video about the man who was dragged of United Airlines Flight. My question is, was he too disagreeable, or maybe a bit off? I wonder? Why not work this out before he was dragged off the plane?

I am sure United was wrong talking this it such a violent extent. It does not seem reasonable to me for him to resist once it was apparent the airline staff would remove him physically?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
he knew he was being recorded and chose to overreact - the screaming was ridiculous - over it you can hear the security people saying "come on, man" as if saying "good grief, stop being such a drama queen"

remember the "don't taze me bro" guy?

Last edited:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
This is more video from CNN. It does seem they feel the man was a victim. I have a hard tie believing a doctor would not apprehend the aggression of the airline staff? It seems he could have insisted on higher payment and free local hotel accommodations.

WizardofOz

United is getting slammed for this and rightfully so. If the plane is overbooked, don't let too many people board the plane :duh: They can freak out all they want in the terminal and get a bunch of free airline miles and a free hotel stay. This happens all the time. For United to recognize their error and pick this guy out and drag him out like they did is beyond ridiculous. It's already costing them 10's, if not 100's, of millions.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
You bet! Their stock WAY more than offering the passengers $1350 to take the later flight.

I do have to say, if he was a medical doctor, having to be home and at work. Why would he choose the cheap seats?

When time is important, it would be prudent to pay more for this possible incident not to happen? Secondly, once he released the staff would manhandle him, why not negotiate for more compensation, then maybe another person may have volunteered to take the higher offer?

ok doser

United is getting slammed for this and rightfully so. If the plane is overbooked, don't let too many people board the plane :duh: They can freak out all they want in the terminal and get a bunch of free airline miles and a free hotel stay. This happens all the time. For United to recognize their error and pick this guy out and drag him out like they did is beyond ridiculous. It's already costing them 10's, if not 100's, of millions.

you know what they'll do next time?

they'll empty the whole plane and deny re-entrance to those they choose

WizardofOz

you know what they'll do next time?

they'll empty the whole plane and deny re-entrance to those they choose

They should have just done that from the get-go. Or, :idea: don't let too many people on the plane. They said they had to make room for flight crew. I don't know who was in charge of figuring out how many seats the crew needed but I'd fire that person right away in an attempt at damage control.

They need a martyr, badly.

ok doser

They should have just done that from the get-go. Or, :idea: don't let too many people on the plane. They said they had to make room for flight crew. I don't know who was in charge of figuring out how many seats the crew needed but I'd fire that person right away in an attempt at damage control.

They need a martyr, badly.

i heard that they needed the extra seats for dead-heading flight crew - iow, not flight crew necessary for that flight, but crew that needed to be elsewhere on the globe to crew flights scheduled in the future

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Seems he is a medical doctor, but a bit of a kook. I am sure he will be able to sue and settle just for United Airlines to get past this.

It is pretty hard to RO a mild heart attack made by a physician.

What idiots! They could have avoided this offer an extra $500, where someone would have volunteered to take the later fight. Just plain dumb in these modern times when so many have video cameras.

WizardofOz

You bet! Their stock WAY more than offering the passengers $1350 to take the later flight.

I do have to say, if he was a medical doctor, having to be home and at work. Why would he choose the cheap seats?

When time is important, it would be prudent to pay more for this possible incident not to happen? Secondly, once he released the staff would manhandle him, why not negotiate for more compensation, then maybe another person may have volunteered to take the higher offer?

This guy did absolutely nothing wrong. He shouldn't have to pay for more expensive seats in order to not get dragged off a flight.

You seem to be implying that this guy did something wrong. I think the blame is 100% on United

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
This guy did absolutely nothing wrong. He shouldn't have to pay for more expensive seats in order to not get dragged off a flight.

You seem to be implying that this guy did something wrong. I think the blame is 100% on United

No, I agree with you. However, had i been a working physician and needed to be sure to be at work, I would have personally thought it prudent to pay for a seat where they would not bump me. This bumping in not unheard-of, so, why take a chance in the first place? It is not like a medical doctor cannot afford the better seat.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I think it's ridiculous that they are allowed to overbook anyway. It's not the same situation but I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode where he has to explain to the guy what a reservation is. :chuckle: I know there is a business reason behind it but messing with people's flights can cause so much trouble. Can't they recoup their costs from fallout some other way? :idunno:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I think it's ridiculous that they are allowed to overbook anyway. It's not the same situation but I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode where he has to explain to the guy what a reservation is. :chuckle: I know there is a business reason behind it but messing with people's flights can cause so much trouble. Can't they recoup their costs from fallout some other way? :idunno:

Its not overbooked because at the last minute you want to add 4 employees to the flight not before scheduled for it.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
If they had offered four volunteers $1350 and a free hotel room nearby, they would have come out way ahead.

They deserve being sued for being so stupid! What were they thinking? Who does not know people have video cameras and the media would take this to the mats?

WizardofOz

No, I agree with you. However, had i been a working physician and needed to be sure to be at work, I would have personally thought it prudent to pay for a seat where they would not bump me. This bumping in not unheard-of, so, why take a chance in the first place? It is not like a medical doctor cannot afford the better seat.

He probably owes a few hundred thousand in student loans ;)

WizardofOz

Same reason hotels do it. They assume x guests or passengers will cancel or not show up. They want to fill the plane without a single empty seat. When hotels do it, they usually pay for the guest to stay somewhere comparable. They roll the dice on x not arriving and sometimes lose.

I agree it really messes with people's plans but usually the person bumped comes out way ahead. Instead of getting physical with this poor guy they should have done what K suggested, make an offer someone won't refuse who doesn't 'gotta get home', can wait for another flight and get handsomely rewarded for their patience.