Man in Adam was made in the Image of God, Christ !

beloved57

Greetings again beloved57,
I am willing to discuss what you have stated step by step if that is what you demand. Looking at the title of the thread, I am not sure what you are saying: I find the title ambiguous. I can agree with the first part as we have agreed that Adam was made in the image of God, and those of Adam’s descendants will also be to some extent in the image of Adam and God. Why do you attach “Christ” here?
This seems to assume a Trinity perspective which I cannot agree with. I believe that the “us” and “our” is the one God, Yahweh the Father, and his angels.
This could well be a pattern, where Adam and Eve represents Christ and his future bride. I would not use Ephesians 1:4 here though, as I do not link Ephesians 1:4 directly with Genesis 1:26-27. Ephesians 1:4 goes back before the creation.
Yes I agree, Christ is the image of God.
You lose me when you say that Adam was elected in Christ. Seems to me that you are going around in circles. You seem to be imposing the NT teaching of election back into the Genesis narrative, and to me at least this is very confusing.

Kind regards
Trevor

Read posts 5 and 17 to see how I establish my OP

TrevorL

Read posts 5 and 17 to see how I establish my OP
I appreciate your response, but I am not able to understand your suggestions. As all mankind are a part of Adam, are all mankind elected or to be saved, or redeemed as Christ’s bride, that is universal salvation?

Kind regards
Trevor

beloved57

I appreciate your response, but I am not able to understand your suggestions. As all mankind are a part of Adam, are all mankind elected or to be saved, or redeemed as Christ’s bride, that is universal salvation?

Kind regards
Trevor

Post 5 and 17 did you read them?

TrevorL

Post 5 and 17 did you read them?
Yes, they are very obscure. I cannot make sense of this. All of mankind were created in and through Adam, not just those pre-destined. Here they are with reduced formatting:
Now since Adam, and Man in Him was made in the image of God,
See James also James 3:9 and because God is immutable, Man in Adam was predestinated to be conformed to the Image of Gods Rom 8:29-30: For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
So its them God foreknew whom was Created originally in Adam at the beginning, who was made after the Image of God, which is Christ, and so that's also who fell in Adam, whom Christ shall recover, His Fallen Bride !
The fact that Man originally in Adam was Created in the Image and Likeness of God, that necessitated their New Birth, because its through the working of the Spirit of Lord that Christ's Image is consummated, that changes us into that Image 2 Cor 3:18: But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.
This Image we were predestinated to Rom 8:29-30: For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
He is the Firstborn of Creation Col 1:15-17: 15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
Note: Adam was Created for Him in the purpose of Redemption Vs 14. 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
Reading the above, and re-reading three times does not help.

Kind regards
Trevor

beloved57

Yes, they are very obscure. I cannot make sense of this. All of mankind were created in and through Adam, not just those pre-destined. Here they are with reduced formatting:
Reading the above, and re-reading three times does not help.

Kind regards
Trevor
After the fall, Adam beget men after his own image, not after the image and likeness of God Gen 5:3

3*And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, and after his image; and called his name Seth:

The Image of God is continued in the Elect at their new creation Col 3:10

10*And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

Sent from my 5054N using TheologyOnline mobile app

TrevorL

After the fall, Adam beget men after his own image, not after the image and likeness of God Gen 5:3: And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, and after his image; and called his name Seth:
The Image of God is continued in the Elect at their new creation Col 3:10: And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
There is an element of truth in what you say, but I do not agree with the almost black and white sense that you suggest. Adam and Eve were made in the image and after the likeness of God, and as such their children also should have been in the image and after the likeness of God. But sin intervened, and many of their children followed after the ways of the flesh such as Cain and his descendants, and not after God.

But I find it interesting that the one person of their immediate family where these terms are used is Seth as you quoted, and he was Godly. Hence Seth was of the lineage of being in God’s image and after God’s likeness. This could be said of many of the faithful, such as Abraham and Isaac, especially when we consider the events of Genesis 22. David was a man after God’s own heart, and therefore he was also after God’s likeness in a spiritual sense. So in a sense I agree with you because Jesus is the central focus and all things flow in and through him. So in a sense when God said let us make man in our image and after our likeness, it was prophetic of Christ and his bride who would fulfil God's purpose in creation Psalm 8.

Kind regards
Trevor

beloved57

There is an element of truth in what you say, but I do not agree with the almost black and white sense that you suggest. Adam and Eve were made in the image and after the likeness of God, and as such their children also should have been in the image and after the likeness of God. But sin intervened, and many of their children followed after the ways of the flesh such as Cain and his descendants, and not after God.

But I find it interesting that the one person of their immediate family where these terms are used is Seth as you quoted, and he was Godly. Hence Seth was of the lineage of being in God’s image and after God’s likeness. This could be said of many of the faithful, such as Abraham and Isaac, especially when we consider the events of Genesis 22. David was a man after God’s own heart, and therefore he was also after God’s likeness in a spiritual sense. So in a sense I agree with you because Jesus is the central focus and all things flow in and through him. So in a sense when God said let us make man in our image and after our likeness, it was prophetic of Christ and his bride who would fulfil God's purpose in creation Psalm 8.

Kind regards
Trevor
Seth's Godliness as well as any others doesn't come through Adam or the natural, but through Christ and the Spiritual. Hence the Image of God is continued only through the Redemption through Christ Jesus! Naturally the Image of God was tainted by the fall.

TrevorL

Seth's Godliness as well as any others doesn't come through Adam or the natural, but through Christ and the Spiritual. Hence the Image of God is continued only through the Redemption through Christ Jesus! Naturally the Image of God was tainted by the fall.
Jesus was not present with Seth, so his spiritual attributes must have been derived from listening to Adam and Eve, by meditation on God’s words and whatever other form of instruction was available in his days, possibly from the Cherubim outside the garden. Again you are almost suggesting black and white. What was the image and likeness that Adam had? Did it completely disappear after he sinned? Was not some of this evident in his descendants, especially those that hearkened to the Divine counsel?

Kind regards
Trevor

beloved57

Jesus was not present with Seth, so his spiritual attributes must have been derived from listening to Adam and Eve, by meditation on God’s words and whatever other form of instruction was available in his days, possibly from the Cherubim outside the garden. Again you are almost suggesting black and white. What was the image and likeness that Adam had? Did it completely disappear after he sinned? Was not some of this evident in his descendants, especially those that hearkened to the Divine counsel?

Kind regards
Trevor
False statements not found in scripture!

TrevorL

False statements not found in scripture!
I appreciate that you have a different perspective on some of these things, and it may be evidence that we have different thinking and spiritual environments. Unless you elaborate on what you disagree with from my last post and possibly on some of my earlier posts, then it appears that this is where we part ways. I find Psalm 8 very instructive as the bridge between Genesis 1-3 and the NT, showing the creation of Jesus to fulfil the Divine purpose in creation.

Kind regards
Trevor

beloved57

I appreciate that you have a different perspective on some of these things, and it may be evidence that we have different thinking and spiritual environments. Unless you elaborate on what you disagree with from my last post and possibly on some of my earlier posts, then it appears that this is where we part ways. I find Psalm 8 very instructive as the bridge between Genesis 1-3 and the NT, showing the creation of Jesus to fulfil the Divine purpose in creation.

Kind regards
Trevor
Just read my points